• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

The tournament gauntlet coming up is absurd. battle of the 5 gods, then pound a couple weeks later, then summit 2 later that month, then 5 of the top 6 at EGLX the week after summit. we even get leffen among those 5 since it's canadian.

i'm gonna spend so much time glued to twitch. gotta improve my multitasking.

updated Pound numbers:

Melee: 881 (+25)
Wii U: 444 (+26)
Smash 64: 96 (+7)

edit: now 902 (+21)/482 (+38)/102 (+6)

final numbers:
Melee-928
Smash 4-513
Smash 64-107

Anteo

The round robin part of the tournament is long and they want to start early. HungryBox doesnt have any match until tomorrow maybe because he could only get friday off. Anyways the top 8 is gonna be on the weekend so thats fine by me

Oh wow totally thought Battle of the Five Gods was starting tomorrow. Hopefully some archives of matches will be up by the time I get home from work =)

Anteo

what year is this?

b0avwDG.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
S2J probably knew going in. How do you put a Falcon main against two Sheiks? Replace Plup with a (non-god) non-Sheik and he's likely still in.

emb

And after day 1, HugS, PewPewU, Ice, S2J, and Nintendude have been eliminated!
How do ties work at this thing?

I take it HugS is out because he didn't manage to pick up extra games, so even if bottom three all go 1-2 he'd still be gone. What if the game count also ended up a three way tie though?

Also, Lucky might as well be out. He'd have to get a very specific situation to work out. Actually, can you go into what it would take for Lucky or DruggedFox to make it through pools?

I guess matches like PewPewU vs Ice are still going to happen tomorrow. There's probably still some prize money incentive for placing a little higher in the pool.

How do ties work at this thing?

I take it HugS is out because he didn't manage to pick up extra games, so even if bottom three all go 1-2 he'd still be gone. What if the game count also ended up a three way tie though?

Also, Lucky might as well be out. He'd have to get a very specific situation to work out. Actually, can you go into what it would take for Lucky or DruggedFox to make it through pools?

I guess matches like PewPewU vs Ice are still going to happen tomorrow. There's probably still some prize money incentive for placing a little higher in the pool.

Actually HugS isn't out cause in a 3-way tie it's Bo1 tiebreakers regardless of game record.

The other 4 are gone though cause they're 0-2 in pools where the top 2 will have 2+ set wins.

emb

Actually HugS isn't out cause in a 3-way tie it's Bo1 tiebreakers regardless of game record.

The other 4 are gone though cause they're 0-2 in pools where the top 2 will have 2+ set wins.
Ohhhh, ok. Ignoring game count is kinda goofy, but I guess I won't complain if we get to see more high stakes matches between top players.

Ohhhh, ok. Ignoring game count is kinda goofy, but I guess I won't complain if we get to see more high stakes matches between top players.

Well think about it, if 3 players go 2-1 and you don't have tiebreaker matches someone could go out for losing 1 set, which would be terrible.

emb

Well think about it, if 3 players go 2-1 and you don't have tiebreaker matches someone could go out for losing 1 set, which would be terrible.
I take it by set you mean game. But yeah, that's a good point. And we do want players to be focused on taking sets, not stressing out about how dropping individual games will ruin their score. Bo1 isn't a great format, but at least they can go into the tie breaker knowing the expectation and consequence.

I take it by set you mean game. But yeah, that's a good point. And we do want players to be focused on taking sets, not stressing out about how dropping individual games will ruin their score. Bo1 isn't a great format, but at least they can go into the tie breaker knowing the expectation and consequence.

No I do mean set, having pools->DE bracket means little if you can be eliminated before even losing 2 sets.

emb

No I do mean set, having pools->DE bracket means little if you can be eliminated before even losing 2 sets.
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this. In order for the 3-way tie to occur, wouldn't they all have to lose to the god in the pool, beat one of the other 2, and lose to one of the other 2?

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this. In order for the 3-way tie to occur, wouldn't they all have to lose to the god in the pool, beat one of the other 2, and lose to one of the other 2?

I mean in general, like for example if Axe beats Mango and MacD wins his next set.

or, everybody in the pool beats one dude who goes 0-3 and the other people give each other the rock-paper-scissors treatment to produce a 2-1 three-way tie.

emb

Now I get it. Thanks for the numbers talk, sorry I'm kinda slow tonight. n_n;;

Tomorrow should be interesting.

Ya'll ready for PM Smash 4 edition?

http://youtu.be/7S4gzSI98Ts

Give it to me.

So, we've been finishing our Biweeklies (PM / Melee, Melee / Smash 4) about 4 hours early on average, and for some odd reason half the people just dip out after the tournaments end instead of practicing / playing friendlies. It's odd.

Also PM barely brings in enough of a crowd to break even on those days - there's about 6 dedicated PM players in town which is a bummer.

So, we're going to just run PM, Melee, and Smash 4 every biweekly. It'll be fun, and this way we'll see the consistent turnout of 30-40 people which means pot bonuses and venue fees will be guaranteed.

Anth0ny

So apparently there's an exploit for Wii U that hasn't been released to the public yet. That's how they're making these PM-esque mods to Smash 4.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if it stayed unreleased until NX dropped, especially if those "Nintendo stopping production of Wii U at the end of the year" rumors are true. Wouldn't want Nintendo to patch that out.

Say what you will about PM, but I think it positively impacting the Melee community, and Smash community in general. A PM for Wii U would be awesome. I was shocked at how many people showed up to Smashfests/tournaments that were PM only players. That game brought in players to the community, no doubt.

FZZ

Banned
Not Melee, but this old tech in Smash 4 was looked into more recently by My Smash Corner

And the results are pretty sick. It opens up so many more movement and mix up options, I really hope top level players pick it up since it will almost assuredly shift the meta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH528Pdh1Rk

The only problem is it isn't that optimal with a GC controller, although it is still somewhat possible with it.

I'm slowly dragging my roommate into playing more and more melee with me. i'm pretty thrilled. i'm also realizing that the giant mass of panic where my neutral is supposed to be is actually getting equally exercised by both 4 and melee so that's pretty cool. i'll see some skill enhancement cross over regardless of which friends i'm playing with.

Not Melee, but this old tech in Smash 4 was looked into more recently by My Smash Corner

And the results are pretty sick. It opens up so many more movement and mix up options, I really hope top level players pick it up since it will almost assuredly shift the meta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH528Pdh1Rk

The only problem is it isn't that optimal with a GC controller, although it is still somewhat possible with it.

hmm looks like the microspacing i do with perfect pivots and tilt-attack on cstick would still be possible... so it looks like the easiest way to do it on a GC controller would be to forego jump or attack on a shoulder button and claw it up. maybe i'll try it later.

wonder if it's gonna get patched.

There's no reason to believe it will be patched out since it's been known since some time last year and they have yet to even fix the issue with the C-stick cancelling aerial momentum unless you remapped it. Practice it without fear friends, it's unorthodox and difficult to learn but the benefits are almost immediately obvious.

Top Bottom