• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

emb

Not Melee, but this old tech in Smash 4 was looked into more recently by My Smash Corner

And the results are pretty sick. It opens up so many more movement and mix up options, I really hope top level players pick it up since it will almost assuredly shift the meta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH528Pdh1Rk

The only problem is it isn't that optimal with a GC controller, although it is still somewhat possible with it.
This stuff is really cool.

The controller thing could be a big issue though.

There's no reason to believe it will be patched out since it's been known since some time last year and they have yet to even fix the issue with the C-stick cancelling aerial momentum unless you remapped it. Practice it without fear friends, it's unorthodox and difficult to learn but the benefits are almost immediately obvious.

oh right. i'd forgotten about the aerial momentum thing since i've been mapping the stick to attack anyway for a while.

Jigolo

There's no reason to believe it will be patched out since it's been known since some time last year and they have yet to even fix the issue with the C-stick cancelling aerial momentum unless you remapped it. Practice it without fear friends, it's unorthodox and difficult to learn but the benefits are almost immediately obvious.
I have noticed this since I got the game. Where would you remap the c stick?

Jigolo

You'd want to change it to "attack." It'll make the c-stick do tilts instead, but at least then holding the c-stick won't screw up your aerial movement.
Ahh I see but that won't work for me. I really like the melee setup minus the tap jump. If this glitch is ever fixed thatd just put the icing on the cake but until then I will mainly use directional plus A

I'd be worried that changing the control setup radically would mess me up in Melee/other Gamecube games lol

But movement tech should never be overlooked

I'd be worried that changing the control setup radically would mess me up in Melee/other Gamecube games lol

But movement tech should never be overlooked

We're wavedashing in Smash 4 now...

Fun fact, you can do the same thing in PM, hold down the jab button and you can do moonwalks super easily.

Also I find it hilarious that Sakurai tried to remove these kind of complicated ways of taking the game past a casual skill ceiling and it just became even more complicated as a result.

I had no idea there was a Melee Community thread until now. Did anyone see this new this new tech that HugS discovered recently?

I've been thinking this too. Recently we've seen so much good play from Armada/HBox/Mango that I feel like Leffen can't keep up without consistent international practice.

eglx will be a good test for him. hbox, mango, armada, m2k, leffen, axe, westballz, shroomed, and wizzy all in one place. canadian majors gonna rise to prominence at this rate, haha. wonder if he's going to GOML as well.

Anteo

Just so the story of the sexual assault allegations is complete here.

Sky Williams released a statement with chatlogs and more showing how some things were cherry picked and some facts were changed to make him and MacD look bad. If you want to read it, it should be in his twitter history.

Also, the thread on reddit was deleted, and Sky Williams response was left a couple of ours up before being deleted too.

Starting the drive to Pound today. Hopefully it turns out to be a good tournament.

Good luck!

I'm registering my brother and I for The Big Balc today. He got 7th at the last big NorCal PM tourney, so I'm hoping he goes far at am only PM major in SoCal.

Pappasman

I just registered for Northwest Majors. Entering Melee, SFV, and PM.

Pretty excited. Got a chance to watch Chris G get beat in smash 4 last year lol.

GamerJM

Banned
Today in class someone was playing Melee on Dolphin with keyboard, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't competitive because he was playing through classic with Yoshi and wasn't using advanced techniques. It was weird to watch someone play like that since I haven't seen casual Melee since like.....before Brawl came out. He also told everyone around him how to download Dolphin and illegally download ISOs since they all asked him how he was playing Smash on his laptop >_>. I didn't know whether I should have mentioned the competitive scene or not.

I just registered for Northwest Majors. Entering Melee, SFV, and PM.

NWM is hype, good luck!

I didn't know whether I should have mentioned the competitive scene or not.

Yeah, I don't think people (not even my GF) realize what I mean when I say I'm a biweekly tournament organizer and a top 10 player in my area. But when someone says they're the best at Smash in casual conversation, I have to hold myself back to not scare them off.

Here's hoping I stack up again Houston's scene - I'm going there for a week for work, so I'll be going to the Melee and PM weeklies.

GamerJM

Banned
is twitch acting up for anyone else? it's not loading on my PC, but it's working on my phone. weird.

It's been a little weird for me but ultimately functional. Scrolling down doesn't work properly and the stream randomly froze once or twice.

peter0611

God damn, Wobbles is such an excellent commentator. Does anyone know if he has a background in broadcasting, communications, etc?

Top Bottom