• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Codeblue

He hasn't been playing much at all has he? It's impressive he did as well as he did.

I came in here to ask if anyone else was crazy impressed at how well Hax has been doing considering he's effectively been out of the game for an eternity. If his hands hold up and he can get some sleep, I can see him becoming the next god slayer.

Pappasman

I came in here to ask if anyone else was crazy impressed at how well Hax has been doing considering he's effectively been out of the game for an eternity. If his hands hold up and he can get some sleep, I can see him becoming the next god slayer.

He was on his way to top 5 before he left. The guy is seriously amazing.

Jigolo

I think it says a lot that HBox isn't popping off when he beats Mango anymore.

lol just the last tournament he popped off like he won the lottery. I didn't watch this but this would've been literally the first time. "anymore"? What's to say he won't do it the next tournament?

Unfortunate for me that I got into competitive melee only starting in Paragon 2015. My love for it is already dying and smash 4 isn't any better.

Neol

And so continues the legacy of Mango getting sent to losers early and working his way up to Grand Finals only to lose to Hbox.

Codeblue

lol just the last tournament he popped off like he won the lottery. I didn't watch this but this would've been literally the first time. "anymore"? What's to say he won't do it the next tournament?

Unfortunate for me that I got into competitive melee only starting in Paragon 2015. My love for it is already dying and smash 4 isn't any better.

At 5 Gods? Maybe that qualifies as a pop off for other players, but Hbox is a different beast. Did you see what he did when he beat Armada at that same tournament?

GamerJM

Banned
I think it says a lot that HBox isn't popping off when he beats Mango anymore.

I think that's just because it wasn't very exciting or surprising. None of HBox's sets with other players this tournament were very close from what I saw, I don't think even he was that surprised.

FZZ

Banned
Good win for Hbox. Mang0 should've went straight Fox against Hax, he fucks around too much. With that said I still think Hbox would've beaten him in WF.

No he popped off against Armada, which is understandable. Not Mang0.

Codeblue

I think that's just because it wasn't very exciting or surprising. None of HBox's sets with other players this tournament were very close from what I saw, I don't think even he was that surprised.

Yeah, that's what I'm sorta getting at. Use to be when Hbox beat a top Fox it was a big deal. When he 2-0'd Leffen at Evo in a pretty dominant fashion he jumped around, punched a TV, and kissed his girlfriend.

HBox isn't the underdog anymore and I'm not sure I would have believed anyone if they told me this is how the competitive landscape would look, even a year ago.

GamerJM

Banned
Screw the haters, I think Mango Marth has potential. It just needs a lot of practice.

It makes sense too, since Mango's said in the past that he legitimately thinks that Marth is the best character in the game.

FZZ

Banned
Ayy Mang0 admitted Hbox is a respectable wiener

progress

Screw the haters, I think Mango Marth has potential. It just needs a lot of practice.

It makes sense too, since Mango's said in the past that he legitimately thinks that Marth is the best character in the game.

His Marth is dope

On stream his Marth goes ham, but using him in winners semis during a game 5 situation is ridiculous. Like he said he just makes it harder for himself.

CY9wBuzWYAAeSWI.png

GamerJM

Banned
Ayy Mang0 admitted Hbox is a respectable wiener

progress

His Marth is dope

On stream his Marth goes ham, but using him in winners semis during a game 5 situation is ridiculous. Like he said he just makes it harder for himself.

CY9wBuzWYAAeSWI.png

It's ridiculous but so is everything Mango does. And if he's serious about using him then I think he has to start somewhere (obviously winners semis at a Major isn't a very good opportunity but you get my idea).

I think it makes sense tbh, there are certain matchups his Marth might eventually have an advantage in. I don't think maining two space animals is necessarily good, I can't think of any matchups that Falco has better than Fox and maining the two characters is very difficult (then again I'm a shitty scrub at the game so I dunno, maybe there is something to dual maining spacies but I just don't really understand why). From here on out the idea for him should be to level up the Marth when he has the opportunity, until he gets to the point where he's more comfortable to use it in a top level tournament setting against top 10-level players.

The idea of a Mango-style YOLO Marth is very exciting to me though. I've never seen a playstyle like it with that character, for better or worse.

I've also felt that if he dual mained Fox/Puff he could potentially be really good, but he seems to be opposed to that. He played his Puff on stream like once when someone donated for it and it still looked good. Puff is one of Marth's hardest matchups if not his hardest (and Marth is one of Fox's hardest matchups, though Mango doesn't seem to have an issue with Marths I'm just sayin), Puff wrecks Peach so he could bring it out for Armada, and HBox has also probably given the Puff ditto matchup very little lab time since there aren't any Puffs close to his level. But again he's opposed to that, and he'd probably have to work super hard in getting his Puff up to speed anyways.

Pappasman

Tbh its kinda sad that Marth is probably the least represented "good" character at a top level. M2K is playing S4 and mindfucks himself, PPMD is still sick and PPU isn't good enough.

emb

Short hop double laser with fox is hard
It is. I just gave up trying to do it with the button, and just use the stick. So then the only thing to it is short hopping with the stick. Which isn't too hard if you have controller that's pretty crisp and responsive.

Jumping with the stick though, I can't move around well while lasering. I don't know how people do it at the pace they do.

It feels semi doable with buttons, but just not worth the effort. The motion kinda feels like multishining, just instead of BYBY etc it's YBB YBB etc.

Quenk

I used to do it inconsistently with the stick but now I'm better at using Y. I remember seeing a Lucky stream where he talked about it and said it's personal preference but also controller dependant.

Tbh, I don't know why I bothered to learn how to do it. The last time I played melee against a human was at pax prime.

ec0ec0

slide your thumb from the edge of the y button to the b button, instantly press the b button again. Repeat. It's rhythm more than anything.

In a world where sliding your thumb from b to x to jump-cancel shines is a thing, sliding from y to b should be easy.

How do people slide their thumb from b to x over and over anyway!? Sliding your thumb over the a button is fine but once you arrive to x your thumb just clashes with it. I mean, the x button is way to high for that to work. Eventually, it starts to hurt. And people do it hundreds of times in to time.

Why had the y and x buttons to be so high? :/

Anth0ny

slide your thumb from the edge of the y button to the b button, instantly press the b button again. Repeat. It's rhythm more than anything.

In a world where sliding your thumb from b to x to jump-cancel shines is a thing, sliding from y to b should be easy.

How do people slide their thumb from b to x over and over anyway!? Sliding your thumb over the a button is fine but once you arrive to x your thumb just clashes with it. I mean, the x button is way to high for that to work. Eventually, it starts to hurt. And people do it hundreds of times in to time.

Why had the y and x buttons to be so high? :/

I'm gonna try that.

Last few days I've been getting ready for EGLX, I've been doing nothing but Fox in training mode. Trying to get the movement down. I've accepted 20xx, friends. I'm a Marth/Fox main now :|

Quenk

I'm gonna try that.

Last few days I've been getting ready for EGLX, I've been doing nothing but Fox in training mode. Trying to get the movement down. I've accepted 20xx, friends. I'm a Marth/Fox main now :|

Just channel your inner jman :v

I probably should have signed up for eglx

GamerJM

Banned
I'm gonna try that.

Why? We've been seeing a lot of good Sheiks lately, I think it's been strongly proven that she's as viable as the other top characters at the highest level.

Codeblue

I'm gonna try that.

666XX is the future. There's no stopping it.

Anth0ny

Why? We've been seeing a lot of good Sheiks lately, I think it's been strongly proven that she's as viable as the other top characters at the highest level.

I know it's not as terrible at the top level, but at my shitty level I just get overwhelmed by the speed of these Foxes and even Falcons, honestly. I like jumping between characters because it helps keep the game fresh, keeps me engaged, and I'm always learning fundamentals, spacing and tech skill as I play, no matter the character. I'm sure one day I'll return to Sheik when I feel the time is right.

I'm finally getting the hang of shffl nairs with Fox. I can do them consistently back and forth across the stage on Yoshis without fucking up. Now I'm gonna start doing shffl nair shine into wavedash. then shffl nair shine jc grab.

Pappasman

Has anyone played the new 20XX 4.0 cpus? They are insane. They move fast as hell, do frame perfect everything, edgeguard, mangle, etc.

It's honestly pretty crazy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Do they have any intelligence to speak of, or just tech skill? Some of the PM CPUs had some great tech skill, but they couldn't do much of anything with it and SD'd with half their stocks.

A shame they killed it right as they were bringing a second AI/CPU programmer in.

Do they have any intelligence to speak of, or just tech skill? Some of the PM CPUs had some great tech skill, but they couldn't do much of anything with it and SD'd with half their stocks.

A shame they killed it right as they were bringing a second AI/CPU programmer in.

i've only seen them techskill themselves to death on fourside EDIT: which was mostly done for comedy value after hearing how the AI couldn't deal with the place,

i'm sure they flub it sometimes on normal stages. I've heard them described as "if the most technical player in the world were lobotomized." They definitely don't adapt or attempt conditioning or anything like that.

Pappasman

i've only seen them techskill themselves to death on fourside. I've heard them described as "if the most technical player in the world were lobotomized." They definitely don't adapt or attempt conditioning or anything like that.

True, but they get by a lot just on pure tech. I had to play way faster against them.

I've been dancedance upthrow upair KO'd by fox, properly edgeguarded by fox, they actually try to recover and abuse the shit out of ledge invincibility and just general frame perfect stuff.

Achilles wrote a bit about it on reddit:
Hard to describe all the changes made here. I wrote an insanely large assembly function to make CPU characters use advanced techniques in natural situations, quite randomly. It's not a 100% AI rewrite, but more of an extension to the default AI that overrides vanilla button inputs whenever certain criteria are met.

A small list of added techniques include: shielding, dashdancing, shffl'ing, wavedashing, ledgedashing and other ledge options, spacies shining and lasering, and more.
Spacies are the only characters with new code for recovering. All other characters recover as they normally would. Spacies will side-b (shorten too), and up-b sweetspot, mangle, M2K angle, etc.

I threw in a few Debug Menu options for changing the CPU's propensity to shield, as well as techchase defense options to make a CPU always spotdodge/roll after teching/getting up.

CPUs are actually fun now and provide a whole different type of challenge! A lot of their actions are frame perfect so you can learn a lot from them as well. It is important to note that I am not trying to make an unbeatable "year 20XX" AI; I just want them to be (generally) good and fun to play against. The AI is still quite rough and needs touching up in a lot of places, so I title this as "Phase 1". The 20XX 3.02 in-game toggles for making P2 perform actions are still not in this build, although the new AI makes some of those things obselete. I knew I was going to write a new AI framework at some point, and adding action spamming and what not back in will just hook into this new framework.

There is more at the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...hack_pack_405_update_new_and_improved_cpu_ai/

True, but they get by a lot just on pure tech. I had to play way faster against them.

I've been dancedance upthrow upair KO'd by fox, properly edgeguarded by fox, they actually try to recover and abuse the shit out of ledge invincibility and just general frame perfect stuff.

Achilles wrote a bit about it on reddit:

There is more at the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...hack_pack_405_update_new_and_improved_cpu_ai/

oh yeah, there's still the potential for learning plenty fighting them. it's super-sick.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wish 20XX and 20XX TE were one thing. It's a hassle making an ISO for the training pack. Plus having two 20XX mods is kind of confusing.

But really the only thing I specifically like about TE is the ease of setting up, with it loading with a disc and a memory card. And I guess the replay function is cool but I haven't used it.

emb

Wish 20XX and 20XX TE were one thing. It's a hassle making an ISO for the training pack. Plus having two 20XX mods is kind of confusing.

But really the only thing I specifically like about TE is the ease of setting up, with it loading with a disc and a memory card. And I guess the replay function is cool but I haven't used it.
Replays almost never work anyway. On most stages they end up desynced after about a minute.

I agree that it's pretty confusing for both to have 20XX in the name.

Top Bottom