• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

Anth0ny

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Westballz dropped a set to a nobody in pools once IIRC, and ragequit the tournament because of it. Don't think it was that long ago either?

I don't really know anything about Street Fighter so I'm not entirely sure what sort of thing I'd be comparing with.

Westballz dropped a set to a nobody in pools once IIRC, and ragequit the tournament because of it. Don't think it was that long ago either?

I don't really know anything about Street Fighter so I'm not entirely sure what sort of thing I'd be comparing with.

Are there times where a player runs up against a clear beginner/non competitive player that does all kinds of crazy stuff that they "shouldn't" be doing in the conventional sense, and loses?

lol I don't think it's even possible to random someone out like that in melee. MAYBE for one stock with a lucky guess/DI read but to repeat that multiple times in a best of three? I don't ever recall that happening.

on any given day the #5 ranked player in the world could fucking wreck the #8 player in the world to the point where you'd think #8 never played the game before

So scrub busting isn't as big of a thing in competitive Melee as it is in SF?

emb

We have stuff like WestBallz vs MuckDuck (after handwarmers, the guy went 'that's 1-0' and then took a game lol), Ginger vs DruggedFox, Envy vs Ice, or InfiniteNumbers vs Everybody at Pound 2016.

But in all those cases, as far as I know, even when names are kinda unknown up until an upset in tournament, they're good players who are certainly legitimate. Like, Scar often talks about 'FalcoMaster' ever since he lost to some guy named Ron at Evo one year. Even though no one knew about Ron, the guy was a ranked player from NC who's actually mad good.

I don't know much about SF, but from the commentary it sounds like that Ryu was just a complete random?

Edit:
So scrub busting isn't as big of a thing in competitive Melee as it is in SF?
Pretty much, no. Having 4 stock matches makes it pretty tough to see big surprises like that.

At lower levels though, I have seen Brawl/Smash 4 players pick up Melee and play in a very low input style, winning just on solid fundamentals.

There's a player called Borp that does something like that if I remember right. Doesn't wave dash and junk.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
We have stuff like WestBallz vs MuckDuck (after handwarmers, the guy went 'that's 1-0' and then took a game lol), Ginger vs DruggedFox, Envy vs Ice, or InfiniteNumbers vs Everybody at Pound 2016.

But in all those cases, as far as I know, even when names are kinda unknown up until an upset in tournament, they're good players who are certainly legitimate. Like, Scar often talks about 'FalcoMaster' ever since he lost to some guy named Ron at Evo one year. Even though no one knew about Ron, the guy was a ranked player from NC who's actually mad good.

I don't know much about SF, but from the commentary it sounds like that Ryu was just a complete random?

One day, someone is going to permanently be bestowed the power of FalcoMaster, and that day Melee will change.

At the Houston Melee weekly, I:

Lost a Peach / Puff match because I threw a turnip up as Puff grabbed me. Before he could throw me the turnip hit him and I bounced out of the grab, then air dodged and barely missed the stage to lose game three.

Then I lost game one as Peach v Fox to a waveshine I fucked up the DI on. Then game two I go Falco, am up 3 stocks and the guy quits and asks what stage I ban.

Then I lose game three with two SDs. Both sets the Houston guys were sweating that this random from Kern County was there, but they just had to wait for me to fight myself and lose.

I am the buster you're all looking for.

Josue

As Falcon, when I get waveshined should I be trying to SDI into the stage or what? How do I make it as hard as possible for Fox lol

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
As Falcon, when I get waveshined should I be trying to SDI into the stage or what? How do I make it as hard as possible for Fox lol

If the player knows what they are doing I don't think it really matters. Especially as Falcon, who IIRC is the easiest character to waveshine (or maybe easiest "viable" character, Bowser might be easier?). But I think trying to SDI away makes it slightly (negligibly?) harder, with the occasional SDI in, in hopes they WD too far and reverse it without expecting to, and fail to react to that.

Obviously the best thing to do is try not to let yourself get waveshined in the first place.

Pappasman

Borp doesn't really count becuase he still knows how to play the game.

The ghandi video in sf4 is just ridiculous becuase the guy is getting away with stupid sub-scrub level stuff but his opponent doesn't know how to handle that becuase he isn't playing "properly"

Anth0ny

OMG just downloaded 20xx 4.05

level 9 fox cpu

Muole5w.gif

holy ffffffuuuuuuccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk

emb

Super sad to hear about Hax. Just like with PP, it really sucks to see real life issues stopping these guys from doing the things they love to do.

Anth0ny

melee community in 50 years, ideally:

118212604201zxj9q.jpg

"yo did you see that perfect mangle ledge dash waveshine up smash git gud scrub hahaha"

melee community in 50 years, realistically:

4kjaz.png

pc0jkvmsnkzqxqspbctuhtkk1.gif

poor hax :(

Heartbreaking to read what's going on with Hax. Having him at Summit 2 was gonna be amazing but not if his health is in this situation. Really hoping that somehow he can come out of this and still be able to play. :-/

Pappasman

I was rewatching Captain America: Winter Soldier to get hype for Civil War and I totally forgot Cap gives Bucky a strong shorthop knee during the bridge fight scene.

starts at 2:18 https://youtu.be/qXPOl6EjbWg?t=2m18s

Did anyone see this ICs post? https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBM/comments/4ex2hd/one_input_two_actions_sometimes_you_can_make/

It would be so hype to see people being able to pull off stuff like this.

Unrelated question: if I'm holding R when I shield drop, do I need to let go of it when I use L to L cancel?

Yeah, ICs have so much cool stuff that goes unnoticed because wobbling is easier and better.

Also I think you can just hold R and still l-cancel.

xezuru

If you like crazy hand off stuff you should see Phresh's sets in this last SuperNova tournery for PM, he had some craaaaazy shit.

Tripon

Is anybody making a Smash Summit 2 thread? If not, I'll throw it into this weekend's Fighting Tournament Weekend thread, but with so much crap going on this weekend, it's for sure going to be behind Redbull Kumite and PAX Arena: SFV Invitational.

Azalean

Banned
Is anybody making a Smash Summit 2 thread? If not, I'll throw it into this weekend's Fighting Tournament Weekend thread, but with so much crap going on this weekend, it's for sure going to be behind Redbull Kumite and PAX Arena: SFV Invitational.
I'll probably make one of no one else will.

Anth0ny

Summit is live btw. Two players one controller going on now, and it's definitely as silly as you'd hope.

https://www.twitch.tv/beyondthesummit/

lmao this is so ridiculous

yeah he said in some interview just after pound that he's relegating his falco to an anti-leffen and m2k character and using marth more regularly. we'll probably see some of it this weekend.

das coo

I wonder if he'll use it against Armada's Fox/Peach?

also rip in peace falco

shared-controller is hilarious. m2k and axe really got into the flow of things.

das coo

I wonder if he'll use it against Armada's Fox/Peach?

also rip in peace falco

i think he mentioned something about labbing floaty matchups? i don't remember very clearly but yeah i'd expect to see him give it a shot. I got the vibe that this'll be a PP-style counterpick-by-feel more than a hard list of character preference rules.

emb

Just when I thought it would start getting LESS silly, they go from shared controller on to literally Charades. LOL

Top Bottom