• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Mafia is hilarious. ESAM got a target on his back.

He should just say "if I'm NOT mafia, mafia will kill me night 2 anyway."

Nope. RIP ESAM.

SFAT called out over half the mafia and they killed him, lol. Wonder if they will consider his callouts.

Lol Mango is terrible at this game. Then he tried to say his play was good after it was over. And it looks like a lot of people are defending that. Naaaah. He messed up twice - first saying he was the cop, then by saying he had investigated 3 people in 2 turns. Even if it "saved" Hbox it didn't make a difference because the mafia was losing someone if either of them went down and mafia was on the verge of winning anyway. And if he deflected better he could have tried to put it back on S2J or HMW. Most of those guys weren't very good at the game, it shouldn't have been too hard to deflect without resorting to a massive failure of a lie. Mafia could have swept if not for that.

GamerJM

Banned
IMO Mango saying he was the cop could have been a good play if he actually planned out exactly what he was going to say and didn't screw up by saying he investigated two people instead of three. At that point two people had already legit given away their roles. When asked why he didn't try and mention investigations earlier he could have played it off like "Eh, I didn't really feel like it, I've just kind of been chilling this whole time," or something like that, which would have seemed kinda Mango-esque. I feel like it's a decent idea that just had poor execution.

Taking the plunge and experimenting with a HDMI setup for my tournament Wii consoles.

Sadly the Sewell and Neoya adapters seem non-existant, and the Avermedia LGP has frequent display issues when converting from component to HDMI, so while I wait to hear back from the well known adapter manufacturers I'm taking a gamble and bought a few different ones to test.

The Wii's 480p test suite having a lag detector on it makes it easy to see if there'll be any issues with the other adapters. Worst case I'll have enough to take 2-3 setups to tourneys.

It's super nice that you can get a 22" ASUS 1ms response time monitor that'll work perfect for Melee, PM, and Smash 4 for around $100 now. I remember a couple years ago when they would be closer to $250, let alone the cost of nice BenQs...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, ESAM just 0-deathed Armada.

That happened.

And then Wobbles punched a hole in the wall. Duuuude.

gJwCqUS.jpg

FZZ

Banned
LOL I love ESAM and he's good at heart

But the dude talks way too much on the commentary let em finish talking man

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I hope they post a list of songs they play. I know they are from OCR but that doesn't really help much. Thousands of songs on there with big variance in quality, lot of good stuff on this stream though.

But after I post this they play two kind of crappy songs in a row.

Pappasman

I feel really bad for wobbles. Just checked his twitter and he is pretty broken up over it. I'm not sure what exactly happened but its definitely not a good look to cause damage when you are invited to the summit as a rep for your sponsor...

Must be really awkward.

emb

Toph took such a big risk there, but it paid off. He realllly should have died when Sfat pointed out how the medic needed to speak up. The last turn was a shameful display.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Toph had these guys eating out of the palm of his hand once he claimed cop. Can't believe how little it was questioned - not only is him living after the power play at that point in the game somewhat fishy (especially when no medic speaks up), he also didn't "investigate" SFAT or Shroomed despite everyone having some suspicions about them, including "cop Toph."

Josue

Toph had these guys eating out of the palm of his hand once he claimed cop. Can't believe how little it was questioned - not only is him living after the power play at that point in the game somewhat fishy (especially when no medic speaks up), he also didn't "investigate" SFAT or Shroomed despite everyone having some suspicions about them, including "cop Toph."

I was waiting for someone to ask why the hell would he check HMW that night if he was so suspicious of SFAT and Shroomed.

The big problem I feel is that everybody starts talking over each other so only the loud ass people really get heard. Zhu made amazing calls but nobody really cared because he wasnt yelling it out lol

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Mango didn't know about the elephant on Yoshi's. That's just hilarious to me.

Love this commentary.

PPU Ice was a great set. Ending though lol.

Woooow that IC's combo to finish game 1. Even S2J was impressed.

emb

Wobbles was in full gif-mode that set.

Wish he would have just wobbled towards the end. But at least this way we have a Falcon still in.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with tournaments like these is that I want everyone to win.

Duck is so good.

Armada is broken. Those pulls. Those commentators.

Pappasman

Mango v Wes was weird and sloppy. They both had really great moments, but the momentum swing was super weird. So much choking from both.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Too true! Every match it feels like I can barely decide who I want.

I know who I want to win Mafia. Let's go town, even though they won't win since they are massively disadvantaged by both the ruleset and general badness at the game. Plus the fact it's player vote night will probably make it a bit harder - doctor is probably dying on night 0 (since M2K is obviously going to be voted as doctor).

"Is Jason doing handwarmers" for mafia. Lol.

RIP town. Mafia wins again. They are nowhere close to being on track.

Mango v Wes was weird and sloppy. They both had really great moments, but the momentum swing was super weird. So much choking from both.

Wes choked away game 4 and 5. Should have won the set, especially since Mango was making spaghetti too.

GamerJM

Banned
Lmao apparently I won the Twitter BrainGear thing

I have no idea what this shit actually is, I just entered it because "#MakeItBrain," was making me crack up

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Lmao apparently I won the Twitter BrainGear thing

I have no idea what this shit actually is, I just entered it because "#MakeItBrain," was making me crack up

Congrats, I think? What did you win?

I didn't realize how much funny Melee junk their is on youtube. That SFAT video was the beginning of a rabbit hole.

GamerJM

Banned
Congrats, I think? What did you win?

I didn't realize how much funny Melee junk their is on youtube. That SFAT video was the beginning of a rabbit hole.

A three-pack of Brain Gear. It's a contest tied in with the Summit that the commentators were talking about at one point.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Admist all the Summit craziness, I made a trailer for a tournament I'm hosting here (Israel) this week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhJwVh8AtVk

It's my first time making this sort of thing, came out kinda old school.

Having a tournament during Passover seemed like a good idea at first, but then when it comes down to it a lot a people are abroad or at various events with their families. And we still have to do it at night cuz some people DO work. I hope we have decent attendance.
Counting on GAF for viewers!

Pappasman

Admist all the Summit craziness, I made a trailer for a tournament I'm hosting here (Israel) this week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhJwVh8AtVk

It's my first time making this sort of thing, came out kinda old school.

Having a tournament during Passover seemed like a good idea at first, but then when it comes down to it a lot a people are abroad or at various events with their families. And we still have to do it at night cuz some people DO work. I hope we have decent attendance.
Counting on GAF for viewers!
That was great!

Blarg

Neo Member
Any moonwalking experts in here? I can't seem to get much velocity and distance. Is it all about doing the motion as fast as possible? And do you tend to do a full semi-circle to the other side of the stick, or is it better to go in between the center and bottom of the stick?

C Falc main.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Any moonwalking experts in here? I can't seem to get much velocity and distance. Is it all about doing the motion as fast as possible? And do you tend to do a full semi-circle to the other side of the stick?

C Falc main.

I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means. But it's basically about speed and optimizing the motion. Keep in mind how moonwalking works: you are reversing the momentum of your dash. So the faster you can reverse it the more distance you can get.

Ice with that brain gear, LOL

Pappasman

Any moonwalking experts in here? I can't seem to get much velocity and distance. Is it all about doing the motion as fast as possible? And do you tend to do a full semi-circle to the other side of the stick, or is it better to go in between the center and bottom of the stick?

C Falc main.
The way it was explained to me was to draw the Nike symbol with the stick. As long as you get the direction from one side to the other as fast as possible without going through neutral should work. One thing that helped me was starting it from a dashdance. Say that you want to moonwalk to the right. DD right-left, then from the left side do the moonwalk motion back to the right.

I have a youtube video on my channel showing what it looks like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap1UD2OR6bs

Top Bottom