• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord sold an estimated 25,000 units (10,000 on Steam, 15,000 on PS5)

wvnative

Tom And Jerry Lol GIF by myHQ

Too soon. I think they're at least going to try and salvage it in a PS+ or F2P way before taking any drastic steps like that.

I think sales are that bad to even try F2P.

Like I'm suggesting that Sony should either refund people's money or try to patch in some single player mode or something before shutting down the servers.

Fake

Gold Member
Quite incredible how much money these companies are just willing to burn

Anthem
Avengers
Hyenas
Forspoken
Saints Row
Gotham Knights
Callisto Protocol
Redfall
Gollum
Immortals of Aveum
Skull and Bones
Suicide Squad
Concord
Dustborn
Payday 3
Flintlock

flop after flop

What I love even more is that they never look at the patern.

Get fucked, Sony.

You had a good this going, you stupid son of a bitch. It was running like clockwork but you just had to chase the GaaS. If you’d done your job, release blockbuster single player games that made you what you are we would all be fine right now.

This gen is a shitshow.

It's okay, Ryan is gone. They can still coursecorrect and they already "delayed" half of the GAAS projects he wanted to push. Hopefully new leadership slowly cancels all of his plans. I have no idea how this clown got the keys to Playstation and not the team that made PS4 so good.
Now I really hope that Astro Bot is a big success, because then the message couldn't be clearer. Just pull the plug on Fairgam$ and all that obvious flop trash, people don't want a platform holder that acts like Activision.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Quite incredible how much money these companies are just willing to burn

Anthem
Avengers
Hyenas
Forspoken
Saints Row
Gotham Knights
Callisto Protocol
Redfall
Gollum
Immortals of Aveum
Skull and Bones
Suicide Squad
Concord
Dustborn
Payday 3
Flintlock

flop after flop
It's media. Doesnt matter if it's tech, tv/movies or gaming.

These kinds of companies always seem to have a lot of money to burn..... until it finally hits the last straw and the entire company/studio gets shut down.

That's the nature of the business. All or nothing kind of projects, with a hope that GAAS/mtx keeps the coffers full like other industries that have steady sales.

You'd think a new company or an existing big company wouldnt bet the farm on giant budget games. They'd start small and build up from there if they find success. But nope. As I said, these industries have a way of securing big budgets for their unknown product. Good on them I guess on securing the funds, getting paid solid wages for 5 years, and then if the game fails, just latch onto another game as a contract worker. The nature of the business seems to have lots of project based contract work so whether a game succeeds or fails doesnt really matter because a lot of them will move onto to another project anyway. They got their money over the years and have moved on. It's not like most people who get a FT job and keep going until they quit on their own or get fired.

Last edited:
Concord is such a blah, boring name, too, especially for a shooter. There's no sizzle or intrigue to it. Sony should have focus-grouped the hell out of this name. IMO, it literally conjures up nothing... unless, perhaps, Concord was a jet simulator game.

Rocinante618

Neo Member
How did it sell 10k on steam when all time high was ~700? This number is without refunds or are refunds included (10k bought but many refunded)? I'm so confused.

Three

They should have saved anthem and made it f2p. That thing had potential. They just fucked it.
Much like concord they were 'decent' underlying games but had too much bad word of mouth so nothing could have saved it. It went on EA Access but didn't gain much traction there. People didn't want to play it anymore.

How did it sell 10k on steam when all time high was ~700? This number is without refunds or are refunds included (10k bought but many refunded)? I'm so confused.
The all time high you're looking at is concurrent users. Not everybody who buys it logs in at once.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
The Story of Concord: A Scrubs Fragment.

Firewalk Studios when they finished the game:

Television Dancing GIF

Gamers when they played the game:

uh oh scrubs GIF by HULU

Sony when they see the sales numbers of the game:

Angry Neil Flynn GIF

Firewalk Studios after Sony told them the sales numbers of the game:

perry cox whatever GIF

Firewalk Studios after the game dies:

judy reyes scrubs GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
All the budget numbers that have circulated are pure speculation.

You're right, because no one has revealed the actual development budget.

People can make educated guesses based on a couple of factors

- Game development is very expensive these days anyway
- Concord got the full suite of first party development like high quality mo-cap
- Those CG videos are not cheap. A studio like Blur, for example, allegedly charges $1m per minute of CG and they have promised new CG episodes each week
- Marketing of the game, appearances in places etc

I think around $100 million is a safe bet.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You're right, because no one has revealed the actual development budget.

People can make educated guesses based on a couple of factors

- Game development is very expensive these days anyway
- Concord got the full suite of first party development like high quality mo-cap
- Those CG videos are not cheap. A studio like Blur, for example, allegedly charges $1m per minute of CG and they have promised new CG episodes each week
- Marketing of the game, appearances in places etc

I think around $100 million is a safe bet.
And add on the cost of the studio. Thats because there is no way the studio is worth as much or more than it cost Sony to buy. So they also take the L on the differential.

It's like buying a stock at $100 (FW). Given how badly it's turned out, the asset/brand value of FW studio is now probably like $20.

Minsc

Gold Member
I think this game wins the award of game I've heard the most about, but know the least about its gameplay.

In 10 years will this be a game people still buy? In 20 or 30 years? Does it have the staying power and franchise relevance to spin off collections and remakes like most franchises do?

Does anyone want a Concord remastered for PS6 with ray tracing? I kinda doubt it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I think this game wins the award of game I've heard the most about, but know the least about its gameplay.

In 10 years will this be a game people still buy? In 20 or 30 years? Does it have the staying power and franchise relevance to spin off collections and remakes like most franchises do?

Does anyone want a Concord remastered for PS6 with ray tracing? I kinda doubt it.

10 years? Brother, people won't be buying this game in like 10 minutes from now.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Good riddance.

Serves them right for chasing this live service trash.

Shouldve made a fucking SOCOM game with single player in it, you'd be laughing to the bank right now - Instead you chose to make a generic hero shooter and now you are in danger of fgoing out of business. Lmao.

You have some clearly talented individuals at your studio, you better pitch a proper SOCOM game real quick.

This boils down to lack of ambition. Lets make another hero shooter. Yay. Lol.

Last edited:

Msamy

I Hope this happen to all sony gaas games including bungie games, sony need hard lesson to replace those cunts in the top of playstation shit
management

Last edited:
It's hilarious how the press, Era, and reddit are dancing around the reasons why this failed or burying in vague answers.

Why did this fail so badly?

"Cause this isn't what gamers want!"

Well, what exactly about it is what gamers don't want?

"Yah know... badly designed characters".

Why are they characters badly designed, exactly?

"Well, they just are! They weren't designed good."

Well, why do you say that? A lot of money was spent on animations and it's pretty decent graphics. So.... why do you say it isn't designed good?

"It just isn't good. That's all I will say."

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's hilarious how the press, Era, and reddit are dancing around the reasons why this failed or burying in vague answers.

Well, why do you say that? A lot of money was spent on animations and it's pretty decent graphics. So.... why do you say it isn't designed good?

Because it looks bad in public if you say a tv show/movie/game bombed due to jammed in DEI, as well as a truly ugly pastel colour palette and art style. If a game site lumps in art style into the mix too, it piles it on as it kind of all goes together to a point which makes it even worse and "anti-minority".

Fighting games (like SF) have tons of diverse characters. Nobody seems to care. In fact, people like it as it draws in more unique characters and fighting moves. But in fighting games you dont get jammed in DEI and employees ranting on twitter.

It's time to fired DEI team Sony....
Why would they do that? According to articles like this IGN one, the characters aren’t even one of the reasons the game failed. I’m noticing that trend amongst pretty much all of the journalists - if anything, some of them praise the characters. It’s hilarious.

That isn’t what is happening at all in the press. They’re not even criticizing the characters to begin with.

Killjoy-NL

Why would they do that? According to articles like this IGN one, the characters aren’t even one of the reasons the game failed. I’m noticing that trend amongst pretty much all of the journalists - if anything, some of them praise the characters. It’s hilarious.

That isn’t what is happening at all in the press. They’re not even criticizing the characters to begin with.
The characters are the main reason.

It's called a hero shooter for a reason...

Last edited:
Top Bottom