• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord was in development for about 8 years

What I don’t get is why isn’t Sony killing the game before it releases and at least taking a tax write off WB style.

I mean it’s 100% clear this will bomb and any further money thrown to support the turd is a waste.

ryan-reynolds-but-why-reaction-dpsicvpejgpp14ew.gif

Sony want an excuse to close/absorb the studio.
I really thought the bean counters looking at the gigabomb on their hands would just puy it on psplus and jack up the mtx.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Suddenly all the Guardians of the Galaxy references kinda make sense, considering 8 years ago the first movie had released, and the second movie hadn't.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Yeah... so that's how much money it's generating right now on essentially soft launch #254. This is a utter failure on PC.
I have to say - this industry has a problem with how success is measured or even observed.
Seems like internet as a whole (including all the paid media outlets like influencers etc.) wants to campaign for either things being insta-hit or insta-fail, with nothing in between.
And the mindset extends to many publishing orgs as well - some are so inept they have successful IPs that go completely under the radar because they only see the first 2 months of financials as relevant.

The whole point of GaaS is that they are supposed to be evolving services - I've personally witnessed games go from <1k CCU to 50k+ and mostly negative to mostly positive reviews on Steam - the trends are decidedly not 'always downwards' or 'doomed to lose players from launch' the way it's perceived on forums. Best GaaS are frequently about growth and sustained player bases - the likes of PalWorld and HD2 are actually more stories of studios/publishers failing to capitalise on what they had, than an example of great success/how things should be done.

Mind you not saying anything about Concord long-term success - just that for average service game - first few months on the market are usually not a measure of success (or failure). Granted marketing campaign being fairly loud isn't helping their case - I suspect there's been some misreading of the market involved, not the first (or likely the last) AAA GaaS to have done so in the past 15 years.

Ozriel

M$FT
Best GaaS are frequently about growth and sustained player bases - the likes of PalWorld and HD2 are actually more stories of studios/publishers failing to capitalise on what they had, than an example of great success/how things should be done.

BS. Both Palworld and HD2 are successes beyond even the wildest dreams of their developers.

Both also have a very respectable player base at the moment. This critique is even worse when it’s directed at Palworld which was never really designed in the Apex Legends or Fortnite mold.

Killjoy-NL

I have to say - this industry has a problem with how success is measured or even observed.
Seems like internet as a whole (including all the paid media outlets like influencers etc.) wants to campaign for either things being insta-hit or insta-fail, with nothing in between.
And the mindset extends to many publishing orgs as well - some are so inept they have successful IPs that go completely under the radar because they only see the first 2 months of financials as relevant.

The whole point of GaaS is that they are supposed to be evolving services - I've personally witnessed games go from <1k CCU to 50k+ and mostly negative to mostly positive reviews on Steam - the trends are decidedly not 'always downwards' or 'doomed to lose players from launch' the way it's perceived on forums. Best GaaS are frequently about growth and sustained player bases - the likes of PalWorld and HD2 are actually more stories of studios/publishers failing to capitalise on what they had, than an example of great success/how things should be done.

Mind you not saying anything about Concord long-term success - just that for average service game - first few months on the market are usually not a measure of success (or failure). Granted marketing campaign being fairly loud isn't helping their case - I suspect there's been some misreading of the market involved, not the first (or likely the last) AAA GaaS to have done so in the past 15 years.
Pretty much this.

I think it's always best to really judge any Gaas title after 1-3 years.
Launch doesn't have to say much, it's post-launch support that actually makes or breaks these kind of games.

Killjoy-NL

BS. Both Palworld and HD2 are successes beyond even the wildest dreams of their developers.

Both also have a very respectable player base at the moment. This critique is even worse when it’s directed at Palworld which was never really designed in the Apex Legends or Fortnite mold.
Warframe was a bland, boring and barebones game when it released.
Same goes for No Man's Sky.

Fortnite initially was a mess, until they hit jackpot with BR, which was just a fun side-project of a 5-man team.

FF XIV was a massive flop initially and took a complete rework to make it a success.

A lot can happen with Gaas, depending on devs/publishers listening to the community or not.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I’m impressed with Concord. They finally managed to make a game that NOBODY wants.

5v5 Overwatch clone

Hideous boner-killing characters

Quippy Marvel dialog

Cutscenes like a bad Guardians of the Galaxy ripoff

Gender pronouns

$40

Releases the same day as the biggest game of the year

Congratulations. This is truly the most spectacular failure in the history of PlayStation Studios. You’ve done it!

Last edited:

DruWepro

Banned
I’m impressed with Concord. They finally managed to make a game that NOBODY wants.

5v5 Overwatch clone

Hideous boner-killing characters

Quippy Marvel dialog

Cutscenes like a bad Guardians of the Galaxy ripoff

$40

Releases the same day as the biggest game of the year

Congratulations. This is truly the most spectacular failure in the history of PlayStation Studios. You’ve done it!
This game has nothing in common with Overwatch except that there are heroes.

If you need to get a boner from a video game character, you should seek some help

Who cares about the dialogue when the gameplay ist great?

40 EUR is ok IMO

And it came out about 8 years too late for a hero shooter.

I legit feel bad for these devs. Still not bad enough to spend $40 on a DOA game though.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I'm not measuring success on this time period (so what I said also wasn't a critique) - you are.
But yes - they were unprepared for the reception (HD2 even more so) - that's a big part of how the userbase tracked.

Both also have a very respectable player base at the moment.
Not sure what your definition of 'respectable' is - but 20k is at the border of what is usually considered 'survivable' - though granted I can't see how they're doing on console.
Either way - my point was we don't know where they'll be a year from now.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
jUwE9XX.jpeg

Why do you not track player counts for advanced access games?

When games are available early to pre-purchase owners or deluxe package owners (this is called "Advanced Access") the way it works is that there is a release state override for these owners, but the game itself is not released. As such, most community features are not available until the official release including viewing others' achievements, family sharing, getting the player count, and more.
It is possible to get CCU from an account that owns the game with early access. Because of this, it is possible to make SteamDB track games like it, but it requires our bot to own the game with advanced access.
If you are a game publisher, please donate a key to your game (or provide it using curator connect) so we can track player counts.

Man I really want to know the Steam numbers. Anybody want to take one for the team and buy a copy for SteamDB?

ByWatterson

The issue isn't just the wokeness. It's that the normies have suddenly started winning the wokeness fights - movies have started to return to normal entertainment, shows are getting canceled, language police online are mocked by all, etc.

So then this comes out and it's a 2016 game wrapped in 2020 trappings. It doesn't just feel lame, it also feels old.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The issue isn't just the wokeness. It's that the normies have suddenly started winning the wokeness fights - movies have started to return to normal entertainment, shows are getting canceled, language police online are mocked by all, etc.

So then this comes out and it's a 2016 game wrapped in 2020 trappings. It doesn't just feel lame, it also feels old.

Yeah it definitely feels like this game was chasing trends that got stale and tiresome years ago. I bet their pitch was “PlayStation exclusive 5v5 hero shooter ready for PS5 launch window”
Joined four years ago, all posts are defending Concord and are in this thread.....

We got us a turfer here lads!
Jimmy Fallon Cowboy GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
it… it all makes sense! D DruWepro joined just a couple months before PS5 launched. Only for this game to spend 4 more years in development hell. The pieces are coming together!

So this is who we blame.

I hope it bombs just as badly as expected. Leave multiplayer games to third parties Sony unless it’s a value add like a basic Killzone / Uncharted deal mp.

poodaddy

i usually don´t post on discussion boards - but sometimes the stupidity is so extreme that i can`t help myself.
Uh huh.....

Look man, we're just not excited for your the game, and in fact the majority of folks think it looks less pleasant than fermented camel shit, but taste is subjective at the end of the day, and we have a right to our opinions just as you have a right to your hustle unique viewpoint.

midnightAI

This may be the wake up call that Sony needs to understand that the GAAS bubble has burst. The mega popular ones will continue to thrive but it will be exponentially hard to get another game into that circle. (That and, well, just make good games not pushing any kind of agenda)

Killjoy-NL

This may be the wake up call that Sony needs to understand that the GAAS bubble has burst. The mega popular ones will continue to thrive but it will be exponentially hard to get another game into that circle. (That and, well, just make good games not pushing any kind of agenda)
"It would be naive for us to assume that all 10 (live service games) will be massive successes so that is not a necessary condition for us to double first party revenues," said Ryan. "That is certainly not what we're assuming. Clearly, the distinction between a hit and not a hit is not a binary one."

Top Bottom