• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord was in development for about 8 years

Killjoy-NL

I thought GAAS were supposed to be cheaper and quicker to make? This game probably had a longer & more expensive dev cycle than TLOU Part 2. 🤔....
Maybe, maybe not.

The studio was formed in 2018, but Sony didn't came into the picture until 2021:
"Since announcing our publishing partnership with ProbablyMonsters and Firewalk in 2021, we continue to be impressed by the team’s ambitions to build a modern multiplayer game that connects players in new and innovative ways."

At the very least, Sony didn't fund Firewalk throughout all those years.
Who knows what budget and teamsize they had before 2021?

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Maybe, maybe not.

The studio was formed in 2018, but Sony didn't came into the picture until 2021:
"Since announcing our publishing partnership with ProbablyMonsters and Firewalk in 2021, we continue to be impressed by the team’s ambitions to build a modern multiplayer game that connects players in new and innovative ways."

At the very least, Sony didn't fund Firewalk throughout all those years.
Who knows what budget and teamsize they had before 2021?

Concord has so much humanity and depth to it. I really hope people give it a shot. Insanely proud of the game and we’re strapped in and ready to push it for years to come. ❤️

Isn't that the problem?

It's a game set in a fictional sci-fi universe full of aliens and robots. Why did you fill the game with so much humanity and by extension human (or even far left liberal American) politics?

Gamers don't want humanity in their Sci-Fi space operas. They was pew pew lasers, wicked cool designed characters, and sexy blue alien ladies with fucking massive racks.

Aenima

Around 10 years ago was when parasite Sarkeesean and other tourists started to push against white male characters and atractive female characters in videogames. So not surprizing to see the amazing character design this turd got.

PeteBull

Isn't that the problem?

It's a game set in a fictional sci-fi universe full of aliens and robots. Why did you fill the game with so much humanity and by extension human (or even far left liberal American) politics?

Gamers don't want humanity in their Sci-Fi space operas. They was pew pew lasers, wicked cool designed characters, and sexy blue alien ladies with fucking massive racks.
No man, u took it the wrong way, when he was talking about depth he ment the depth of those humongous lesbian bellies :D
hq720.jpg

srsly tho u can build an oil platform and start drilling its so spacey there :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Last edited:
They didn't have a studio for Socom.
Are you kidding me?? You can easily hire a developer for a Socom game. That's how the turd Socom Confrontation got released.

You can easily let a competent developer(Blue Point) take over a Socom I/II HD remake. No Studio for a Socom game but wasting millions of dollars for a canceled TLOU mp.🤣😂🤦🏻

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Are you kidding me?? You can easily hire a developer for a Socom game. That's how the turd Socom Confrontation got released.

You can easily let a competent developer(Blue Point) take over a Socom I/II HD remake. No Studio for a Socom game but wasting millions of dollars for a canceled TLOU mp.
Yeah, I highly doubt it works like that.

Bluepoint doesn't even have experience with a game like Socom and afaik they're already working on a project.

And some Gaas titles not working out/not being successfull is taken into consideration already.
Also, Factions was ND's own creation, that likely exceeded the scope they could realistically handle.
I'm willing to bet it happens more often than we think.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
"Clearly, the distinction between a hit and not a hit is not a binary one."

Without knowing Sony's criteria or expectations, we have absolutely no clue on what they consider a successfull strategy or not.

Gaas are also long-term investements, so launch sales don't tell the whole story.

People who are against the Gaas titles need to get a grip on themselves. Absolutely nothing was lost for the singleplayer fans.

Gaas is definitely having a budgetary impact on how Sony operates. The money these 10 Gaas titles received could have gone to SP games that made PlayStation the powerhouse it is today. They could have had an unprecedented amount of AAA SP games releasing every quarter.

What we get in SP games are mostly either remakes, remasters or sequels.

They should have one studio dedicated to mobile Gaas games and make it throw shit on the wall until something sticks.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Im calling bullshit. No way it takes 8 years to fart out this wet turd. Was this 8 earth years?

Dont forget this studio also claimed we traveled 391 BILLION miles in the beta.

Last edited:

Nydius

Honestly, it only proves what we knew all along: Development started because they were chasing the hero shooter trend, but by the time it took them to get out a functional product the genre peaked, became oversaturated, and is in decline.

This is the risk taken when a studio decides to chase trends. Unless you can get your product to market fast, you’re more or less screwed. Not pivoting to F2P when all of their competition did will be looked back on as a major misstep.

Ed:
You are not the dumbest person on this planet, but you better hope he doesn't die.

Now that was a damn good zinger! I’m gonna need to steal that for future use.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Haas is definitely having a budgetary impact on how Sony operates. The money these 10 Gaas titles received could have gone to SP games that made PlayStation the powerhouse it is today. They could have had an unprecedented amount of AAA SP games releasing every quarter.
They also could've sold 80M consoles by now and not have closed Zipper and London Studios.

All what ifs that never existed outside of your imagination and wouldn't have been a guarantee for whatever it is you want.
What we get in SP games are mostly either remakes, remasters or sequels.

They should have one studio dedicated to mobile Gaas games and make it throw shit on the wall until something sticks.
I'm pretty sure Sony knows what they need to do.
You're not always going to be the target audience.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

They also could've sold 80M consoles by now and not have closed Zipper and London Studios.

All what ifs that never existed outside of your imagination and wouldn't have been a guarantee for whatever it is you want.

I'm pretty sure Sony knows what they need to do.
You're not always going to be the target audience.
It’s about Gaas games having an effect on SP Sony games or not. I argue it def has an impact.

sankt-Antonio

Only in your head. The studios that would've made sp games are still working on multiple sp games, so nothing was lost.
That’s not how companies work. Money needs to be accounted for and shareholders demand to know where it went. Every SP Studio could make three games in parallel. Etc.

The money Sony allocates for game dev is finite. They have to choose their battles. They choose 10 Gaas games, reducing the amount SP games could have gotten.

Killjoy-NL

That’s not how companies work. Money needs to be accounted for and shareholders demand to know where it went. Every SP Studio could make three games in parallel. Etc.

The money Sony allocates for game dev is finite. They have to choose their battles. They choose 10 Gaas games, reducing the amount SP games could have gotten.
They still don't have the studios for that, because the ones they have are already working on sp games. So again, nothing was lost.

Unless you want to start about how they shouldve acquired sp focused studios.

You just sound entitled af.

PeteBull

https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/20/23691580/sony-playstation-firewalk-studios-acquisition-bungie what a fricken diseaster its been and its only gonna get nastier.

We don’t know much about the new game just yet, but Sony’s head of PlayStation Studios, Hermen Hulst, noted in a PlayStation blog post that “we continue to be impressed by the team’s ambitions to build a modern multiplayer game that connects players in new and innovative ways.” In a press release, he added, “I think fans will be very pleased when they see what Firewalk has in store for them.” Firewalk Studios is led by Tony Hsu, who was GM and SVP of Destiny at Activision, and Ryan Ellis, previously creative director at Bungie.
And guess who is Hermen Hulst now at sony?
Hermen Hulst is a Dutch video game producer and executive who serves as the chief executive officer (CEO) of Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) Studio Business Group since June 2024, and president and CEO of PlayStation Studios since November 2019. Prior to PlayStation Studios, Hulst was the managing director and studio head of Guerrilla Games, a first-party game development studio under SIE.

Now it all starts making sense, ugly and uglier aloy, aquiring useless but woke af bungie, and paratroopers from activision/bungie which is firewalk studios, i dont even know if some1 can check him, investors? Or are we and sony sentenced to this woke bullshit till he gets fired/forced out only?

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

They still don't have the studios for that, because the ones they have are already working on sp games. So again, nothing was lost.

Unless you want to start about how they shouldve acquired sp focused studios.

You just sound entitled af.

They can grow studios. It’s basically how any company scales. More people more product.

Chill, I was always polite. I’m not entitled.
I, always have, been against the Gaas strategy ever since Sony announced it.

I was also ways against MS and their “streaming of gaming” strategy.

These companies are chasing trends they think their shareholders like.

Killjoy-NL

They can grow studios. It’s basically how any company scales. More people more product.

Chill, I was always polite. I’m not entitled.
I, always have, been against the Gaas strategy ever since Sony announced it.

I was also ways against MS and their “streaming of gaming” strategy.

These companies are chasing trends they think their shareholders like.
I dunno, the logic behind their gaas strategy makes a lot of sense.

In fact, with gaas they can potentially generate way more revenue that they in turn can use to release more sp games. Which is basically the entire logic behind their current strategy.

For that, they first have to invest into gaas and get some things running.
That's the point we're at now and if people would just be patient, they'll get exactly what they want.
But that's for next-gen.

Last edited:

Angelcurio

When a game like GTA or Red Dead Redemption 2 takes around 8 years to develop, and you see the end result, the content, production values, you understand it was all worthy.

Then you see a game like Concord spend 8 years of development time just to give pronouns to a robot, and derivative gameplay with awful character designs, it simply seems like some game companies just like to waste money or don't have their priorities set right.

Gross. What a waste of development resources. Game does not look appealing. 🤮

Had to have began as something else. Doesn't take 8 years to make something of this scope. This game just reeks of scope change/ rebooting/ development hell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom