• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concord was in development for about 8 years

Man if heads were rolling at Sony with the cancelation of Fractions. I can't imagine what's going on right now after the release of Concord.

Kokoloko85

Blows my mind how out of touch these developers are. Do they really think the mass audience enjoys these character models? And yes, the character models absolutely affect the sales numbers.
7op238W.jpeg

5SFSCNF.jpeg
67FtiJR.jpeg

When you see games like OV, Fortnite and Apex being so popular. Its not too far fetched why they would think its ok. These arent exactly works of art either and graphically are no better than Concord.
These arent my kind of charactersor art designs but theres plenty millions who are ok with it

Last edited:

Dynasty8

7op238W.jpeg

5SFSCNF.jpeg
67FtiJR.jpeg

When you see games like OV, Fortnite and Apex being so popular. Its not too far fetched why they would think its ok. These arent exactly works of art either and graphically are no better than Concord.
These arent my kind of charactersor art designs but theres plenty millions who are ok with it

From what I remember, the original Overwatch cast looked pretty cool (Soldier 76, Tracer, Reinhardt, Mercy, etc) . The more DLC characters that started coming out, that's when Blizzard started pushing more towards "other things". Fortnite and Apex also don't look as bad as what I've seen in Concord. Maybe I'm in the minority or maybe I'm just getting older, I don't know...what I do know is this shit does not appeal to me at all and from what we're seeing, I am not alone in that thinking.

Kokoloko85

From what I remember, the original Overwatch cast looked pretty cool (Soldier 76, Tracer, Reinhardt, Mercy, etc) . The more DLC characters that started coming out, that's when Blizzard started pushing more towards "other things". Fortnite and Apex also don't look as bad as what I've seen in Concord. Maybe I'm in the minority or maybe I'm just getting older, I don't know...what I do know is this shit does not appeal to me at all and from what we're seeing, I am not alone in that thinking.

To me they are all in the same kind of category. They arent for me.
Character designs for most of Concord characters are weak and uninspiring. Lark is just a Groot rip off but I enjoy playing as him the most.
The graphics/textures overall are fine or more than fine.

Apart from the fat blue character, you dont even notice how meh they are when playing against them. Its pretty hectic.
The character looks are my biggest issue and no campaign. Im no expert when it comes to map designs and respawn locations, but Im having fun with the combat and combos/strategies.

It might be something more suited to newbies of the genre

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Did they spend 4 of those years on the worthless and pointless galaxy map feature where you just read lore? No audio nothing, just pages of text.

Who is going to read this? Why make this?

This game is fucked if not now but the moment some of these other games drop like dead lock from valve, marvel rivals, or spectre divide.

It stands 0 chance.

MiguelItUp

You're not alone, I'm pretty sure there are a lot that feel exactly like you do, I know I do. I've grown numb to the whole "Fortnite art style" where everything looks exaggerated, cartoony, etc. If a game is good, a game is good. I appreciated the design of the models in Concord not looking exactly like that, a bit more "realistic." But at the same time, the characters are just so... uninteresting. Their looks don't even make sense with the abilities in most cases. It's as if they created characters first and then went back and just added abilities. Rather than think of a character and their abilities at the same time, if that makes sense.

Regardless, it feels like they made this game with the wrong things in mind and put them at the front. It's very clear. Even if the game "feels" good, or plays good, there are way too many things that drown it out. It just feels like such a waste.

Fbh

You are using a random screenshot focusing on alternative skins to make your point.
This is the original core cast of characters that put Overwatch on the map:
the-15-original-overwatch-characters-art-by-arnold-tsang-v0-ytkl27iteura1.jpg

There are at least 4 curvy and conventionally attractive women (2 of them in intentionally sexy outfits), there's a cybrong Ninja, a futuristic looking cowboy, a cool dwarf, people in cool looking armor, an edgy death metal looking dude with dual shotguns and a few fun and more "out there" designs like a Gorilla, a robot and some fat dude straight out of Mad Max.

Can you really not see the difference between this and Concord?

Perrott

Why is it there a five-page thread about an objectively false claim? Concord was only in development for six years, which is still overkill for the final product we got. That much time amounts for the full development cycle of two Call of Duty games.

DonF

do we know how many maps are in the final release? Cause damn, 8 years for THAT quality of maps...yikes.

also, its unreal engine 5 es like 3 years old, right? So this game was in ... planning fase during 5 years? they changed engine mid way?

Nydius

Why is it there a five-page thread about an objectively false claim?

“objectively false”? The claim is being made by the lead character designer at Firewalk Studios. Why should we not believe the claim of someone who has worked on the game for five years? What would that person gain by lying?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why is it there a five-page thread about an objectively false claim? Concord was only in development for six years, which is still overkill for the final product we got. That much time amounts for the full development cycle of two Call of Duty games.

T9Rt2Ct.png

Something tells me it ain't objectively false.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
“objectively false”? The claim is being made by the lead character designer at Firewalk Studios. Why should we not believe the claim of someone who has worked on the game for five years? What would that person gain by lying?
The possibility of working in the industry again.

SHA

Imagine working on something for EIGHT YEARS, dedicating eight years of your life to something that will evaporate into stardust 3 days after it is released.

I swear to god the morale at that studio must be devastatingly low these last few months.
People get confused with real jobs and tough jobs.

PeteBull

With AI the 10 gen should be fine with releases.
Give it bit of time and AI gonna be making much better games than concord, not saying they will be innovative but they should be cheaper/easier/less time consuming to make and that 7 or 8/10 solid and fun "good enough" presentable product ;)

Kokoloko85

You are using a random screenshot focusing on alternative skins to make your point.
This is the original core cast of characters that put Overwatch on the map:
the-15-original-overwatch-characters-art-by-arnold-tsang-v0-ytkl27iteura1.jpg

There are at least 4 curvy and conventionally attractive women (2 of them in intentionally sexy outfits), there's a cybrong Ninja, a futuristic looking cowboy, a cool dwarf, people in cool looking armor, an edgy death metal looking dude with dual shotguns and a few fun and more "out there" designs like a Gorilla, a robot and some fat dude straight out of Mad Max.

Can you really not see the difference between this and Concord?

and I see your using epic art work.
And yeah Overwatch has some better character designs. The art style isnt exactly worlds Different in game and still flooded with the same issues that seem to trigger people.
The game was still loved when it had all the other characters added in

Last edited:

SHA

Give it bit of time and AI gonna be making much better games than concord, not saying they will be innovative but they should be cheaper/easier/less time consuming to make and that 7 or 8/10 solid and fun "good enough" presentable product ;)
AI benefited Palworld on gameplay, that's actually a positive advantage came straight from AI, basically what we actually wanted from games, this could cut the bs in games like cgi and other shitty stuff in the industry, this could make some animators losing jobs but for the greater good which is gameplay. It's scary to see AI on our side without the bs we've seen all these years.

Last edited:

Bombolone

Gold Member
Cyberpunk
No man’s sky
Destiny
and many others have turned the ship around with enough time.
Addressing gameplay, qol, balance issues. Making a better experience and more successful product at the end of the day.
Concord has placed itself in a very difficult situation. Will they budge on character design?
The game seems well made, gameplay can be fine tuned.
Will they bend on character design or watch their game go off a cliff for spite.
It’s quite the game of chicken. Trapped by an ideology.
🍿 2024 that pendulum ain’t no joke.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It dawned me as I played some of it today that this game is actually very much like lawbreakers.

Which got me to thinking where did boss key staff go? I’d be shocked if it isn’t them who compose a lot of this team.

Ozriel

M$FT
Warframe was a bland, boring and barebones game when it released.
Same goes for No Man's Sky.

Fortnite initially was a mess, until they hit jackpot with BR, which was just a fun side-project of a 5-man team.

FF XIV was a massive flop initially and took a complete rework to make it a success.

A lot can happen with Gaas, depending on devs/publishers listening to the community or not.

Warframe at least had a lot of interest at launch.

No Man’s Sky sold a lot at launch. A lot of owners were reached with patches. It certainly didn’t hurt that buyers expected it to be a game they’d be playing for a long time.

Fortnite was a mess in internal play testing as a different type of game. It launched to the public as a BR game day one, and was a success at launch. Weird inclusion

FFXIV at least had a solid IP/franchise behind it

It is really hard for a new IP GaaS title that isn’t F2P and with few owners to turn the tide. Especially when the market gets more and more crowded. You mention FFXIV but the market wasn’t flooded with MMOs back then. Warframe didn’t have that much competition.

Concord already has Overwatch 2, Apex, PUBG, Fortnite and Valorant to compete with, among others. What do you imagine happens when Marvel Rivals launches later this year?

I’m not saying they can’t turn things around, but unless we see something different when it launches, or if Sony pivots to making it PS+, it’ll be tough.

Killjoy-NL

Warframe at least had a lot of interest at launch.

No Man’s Sky sold a lot at launch. A lot of owners were reached with patches. It certainly didn’t hurt that buyers expected it to be a game they’d be playing for a long time.

Fortnite was a mess in internal play testing as a different type of game. It launched to the public as a BR game day one, and was a success at launch. Weird inclusion

FFXIV at least had a solid IP/franchise behind it

It is really hard for a new IP GaaS title that isn’t F2P and with few owners to turn the tide. Especially when the market gets more and more crowded. You mention FFXIV but the market wasn’t flooded with MMOs back then. Warframe didn’t have that much competition.

Concord already has Overwatch 2, Apex, PUBG, Fortnite and Valorant to compete with, among others. What do you imagine happens when Marvel Rivals launches later this year?

I’m not saying they can’t turn things around, but unless we see something different when it launches, or if Sony pivots to making it PS+, it’ll be tough.
Point is that gaas allows games to change a lot over time.

And a bad start doesn't have to be the end, depending on how developers react.

Edit:

As for competition, on Playstation at least, there is little competition for Concord really.

OW2, Paladins and Valorant. Paladins can be ignored and I don't see Valorant doing particularly well either. In fact, I don't even see the appeal for it. It's slow, ugly and boring.

Still, Concord definitely has a lot of issues and it won't be easy at all. If their official Discord is anything to go by, I don't even see them turning it around.

But, you never know.

Last edited:

Fbh

and I see your using epic art work.
And yeah Overwatch has some better character designs. The art style isnt exactly worlds Different in game and still flooded with the same issues that seem to trigger people.
The game was still loved when it had all the other characters added in

Well yeah because the art work is the easiest way to show them all in one picture
They still look consistent with the art work when in engine
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Don't know what the issues are you are taking about that trigger people.

Kokoloko85

Well yeah because the art work is the easiest way to show them all in one picture
They still look consistent with the art work when in engine
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Don't know what the issues are you are taking about that trigger people.
Yeah the overwatch characters design look better overall. But what about the other characters that have been there for years…. theres a reason its not like they havent had woke type characters.
I wouldnt say the graphics are any better though. Pretty similar.
What triggers people, I mean all the woke stuff which alot of people complain about when they talk about Concord

Last edited:
It genuinely brings my normally cold black heart joy to see a similar thread 'elsewhere on the internets' and people scrambling to defend the long dev cycle for what is an overwatch clone with the wish.com version of GotG cast and play defense for this dead on arrival game. Even in their own echo chamber, they can't sell this shit. Man, things are really changing.

Last edited:
Doubt this had a budget like that. Way less Mocap work and paying actors.

But it's been in development (not full development, mind) for eight year apparently. Granted, I'm just finding out the team was small at the start, the studio wasn't even formally founded 'till 2018, and whatever money Sony spent on them & development was probably in the last 3-4 years of its development (they only just acquired them last year).

It's got a lot of CG cutscenes and that probably won't be too cheap, so I can see a total budget (including seasonal content) of at least $100 million, even $150 million.

Point is that gaas allows games to change a lot over time.

And a bad start doesn't have to be the end, depending on how developers react.

They're right tho (and I rarely agree with Ozriel xD); the GAAS market for shooters (any variety) is crowded AF. Concord will have to get incredibly lucky to have its big break. Overwatch 2, VALORANT, Marvel Rivals, Apex Legends aren't going to stand still with their roadmaps just so Concord can "have a moment" to be noticed.

At this point Sony/SIE'll need to pray one of the big mainstay hero shooters just completely crashes and burns for a while and Concord's got good enough content to release during that period. But we're talking like a 1% chance of that, at best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom