• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Copa América Argentina 2011 |OT| South America is Best America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Facism said:
HOLY SHIT MEXICO HOW DO YOU NOT PASS TO THE OPEN GUY WHEN ON THAT ATTACK.

That's what happens when you send your D-team to a major tournament... and then you cut out people from that team and replace them with bottom-of-the-table Mexican league players.

I'm proud of the little they did during this match, however.

Heysoos

Facism said:
HOLY SHIT MEXICO HOW DO YOU NOT PASS TO THE OPEN GUY WHEN ON THAT ATTACK.

Uhm, 'cause it's basically our 4th(5th?,6th?) string team? lol Can't expect much from these young guys.

OH HEY. Dropped the junior! :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
¡Felicidades chilenos! Trabajen en su tino frente al arco, eso sí. No mamen, desperdiciaron un friego de oportunidades.

Re: México: Gracias por ponerle huevos.

Interesting, the referee marks 2 lines in free kicks with that spray, that's an easy way to let players know that they have to respect those 2 lines and can't be smartasses and try to move forward after the referee positons them. Nice little touch.

The Good:

- We won.
- Fantastic goal by Vidal.

The Bad:

Too many chances missed. An experienced team will not forgive us that.

The Ugly:

- Mexican coach and his Bat Tactic. Shame on you, no matter how young these kids, teams like this one destroy the beauty of the game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oveja Negra said:
The Ugly:

- Mexican coach and his Bat Tactic. Shame on you, no matter how young this kids, teams like this one destroy the beauty of the game.

What the fuck else did you want us to do? Any other tactics and we would have lost by a huge margin -we should have lost by a huge margin. If we have any chances to go to the second round we need to maintain the goal difference low.

That said, I'm not sure if I want to play the second round. Argentina and Brazil would totally humiliate us.

-bakalhau- said:
Interesting, the referee marks 2 lines in free kicks with that spray, that's an easy way to let players know that they have to respect those 2 lines and can't be smartasses and try to move forward after the referee positons them. Nice little touch.
Yup, the referees use that in Brazil.

y8TIX.jpg

mozfan12

Banned
Oveja Negra said:
The Good:

- We won.
- Fantastic goal by Vidal.

The Bad:

Too many chances missed. An experienced team will not forgive us that.

The Ugly:

- Mexican coach and his Bat Tactic. Shame on you, no matter how young this kids, teams like this one destroy the beauty of the game.
So yeah let Chile make 5 or 6 goals on us just to play decent football. There is no choice. I can bet that Chile would also play like this Mexican team if they had to play with an under 22, with another 8 players dropped out the week of. Im proud of the team, they HAD to play like this.

Heysoos

I'm hoping there's a lot of sarcasm, haven't kept up too much with this thread, but some of you are taking away way too much out of this game. :lol

-bakalhau- said:

This was invented in Brasil and is used for years, don't know why it isn't used anywhere else.

Regulus Tera said:
What the fuck else did you want us to do? Any other tactics and we would have lost by a huge margin -we should have lost by a huge margin. If we have any chances to go to the second round we need to maintain the goal difference low.

I see your point but I'm speaking more than a chilean, as a fan of good football. Let's pretend for a moment that the match wasn't about Chile and Mexico. Would you be right now cheering the loser team? No, because they never had the attitud to attack. Pretty much the whole game they proposed a crappy tactic, which meant a bad show.

alterno69

Banned
Oveja Negra said:
The Ugly:

- Mexican coach and his Bat Tactic. Shame on you, no matter how young these kids, teams like this one destroy the beauty of the game.
That's what happens when you have to send your U-22 team and you cut eight players a week before the tournament including five starters :( not much to do but hope for the best, considering this is the first game this team plays there wasn't much to do but that.

Edit: If we have to send an under age team again i'd rather just drop from the tournament and let south america have their tournament.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oveja Negra said:
I see your point but I'm speaking more than a chilean, as a fan of good football. Let's pretend for a moment that the match wasn't about Chile and Mexico. Would you be right now cheering the loser team? No, because they never had the attitud to attack. Pretty much the whole game they proposed a crappy tactic, which meant a bad show.

I will agree that it is ugly football, but you cannot measure two teams of different levels with the same ruler. In the end you are in a competition where the point is to win. If you cannot win, you have to do the most to not lose -and that's what this Mexican team, patched up after third-party decisions and scandals, tried to do.

And I don't wanna demerit Chile's victory (they totally deserved it), but what was shown tonight should be worrisome. Chance after chance wasted against a not-really-decent back four and a somewhat-decent goalie, putting my hyperbole throughout the match aside. There's just not that much finishing in your attack, and that will bite you in the arse against real competition.

mozfan12

Banned
Chile played well but still you are playing againts an under 22 side, a depleted one. Its no concidence that both concacaf sides lost. The Uruguay match should be the real standard.

Im not pissed, im fucking furious at concacaf. I hate going into such a great tourney such as this one and wasting it. When the hope is not to get shamed, instead of actually competing, might as well not show up.

Regulus Tera said:
I will agree that it is ugly football, but you cannot measure two teams of different levels with the same ruler. In the end you are in a competition where the point is to win. If you cannot win, you have to do the most to not lose -and that's what this Mexican team, patched up after third-party decisions and scandals, tried to do.

I'm a big fan of beautiful football above anything. That's why I miss Bielsa, El Loco always encouraged the team to attack the whole match. You can see now that's no the case anymore :/

Regulus Tera said:
And I don't wanna demerit Chile's victory (they totally deserved it), but what was shown tonight should be worrisome. Chance after chance wasted against a not-really-decent back four and a somewhat-decent goalie, putting my hyperbole throughout the match aside. There's just not that much finishing in your attack, and that will bite you in the arse against real competition.

Yeah, that's what I've been saying through the whole thread. It's just the first game, but playing like that will not help us at all against a "real" team.

Noshino

Oveja Negra said:
I'm a big fan of beautiful football above anything. That's why I miss Bielsa, El Loco always encouraged the team to attack the whole match. You can see now that's no the case anymore :/

But....the team did attack.....like the whole match.....

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I think it's pretty shitty that concacaf gimped mexico because of gold cup.

K1LLER7

congrats chile fans :p
imo, mexico would have won this game with their gold cup team.Chile defence seemed weak when they were attacked towards the end there.Pacheco should have scored with his chance.

K1LLER7 said:
congrats chile fans :p
imo, mexico would have won this game with their gold cup team.Chile defence seemed weak when they were attacked towards the end there.Pacheco should have scored with his chance.
lol no.
Try to score against 11 players glued to their own goal. That was the problem against Mexico. In the match against Uruguay, you'll see what happens when two top class teams try to score in each other goal, and not just defend and counterattack.

Altazor

Now that I'm a bit calmer, I can definitely say: phew! It was a hard match - we attacked much more, but a simple mistake nearly cost us the 3 points. Thankfully, Paredes' entry changed the face of the game, and he was the one to score (to which I'm absolutely grateful, especially considering I'm always critical of his performances for the national team).

What I find worrisome is the lack of goal. We had lots of chances yet failed to seize them, ESPECIALLY Sanchez's miss near the start of the game. He should've scored then.

Anyway, I'm still ecstatic, yet cautious. The match against Uruguay will be harder, no doubt about it.

alterno69

Banned
Error said:
I think it's pretty shitty that concacaf gimped mexico because of gold cup.
Well, Mexico kinda forced them by giving Copa America priority over Gold Cup, since Mexico is Concacaf's cash cow that had to stop. Still sucks, Copa America has always been a great tournament to play, not anymore.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
iKeepPlaying said:
lol no.
Try to score against 11 players glued to their own goal. That was the problem against Mexico. In the match against Uruguay, you'll see what happens when two top class teams try to score in each other goal, and not just defend and counterattack.

Dude, most of the chances wasted by Chile were not because of awesome defending or an incredible block. They were misses by your own players, hilarious misses at times. You cannot attribute your lack of accuracy on us.

Heysoos

iKeepPlaying said:
lol no.

lol cute.
Most of your misses were not because of good defense.

Edit: Beaten ^

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Concacaf should fuck off, a single continental tournament with teams from both confederations would be amazing. It makes so much sense.

mozfan12

Banned
alterno69 said:
Well, Mexico kinda forced them by giving Copa America priority over Gold Cup, since Mexico is Concacaf's cash cow that had to stop. Still sucks, Copa America has always been a great tournament to play, not anymore.
I still think its ridicalous to put an under 23 rule, fuck i know that we can be competitive with a team made up solely of players from the local league.

Noshino said:
But....the team did attack.....like the whole match.....

I'm talking what began to happen after our second goal, but whatever.

Faringitis is killing me :(, time to go to bed for me.

Cheers to everyone and I hope the level of the cup improves :)

alterno69

Banned
mozfan12 said:
I still think its ridicalous to put an under 23 rule, fuck i know that we can be competitive with a team made up solely of players from the local league.
I know, i'm just sad we can't play this with our senior team, or at least the priginal team before the hookers shit.

Regulus Tera said:
Dude, most of the chances wasted by Chile were not because of awesome defending or an incredible block. They were misses by your own players, hilarious misses at times. You cannot attribute your lack of accuracy on us.

Yeah, but Chile, against any other team, that doesn't play like if it's defending it's virginity, would had maybe 3 times more chances than now. And you translate that into 1 or 2 goals more, easily.
Granted, Chile sucks at scoring, I've been telling this since before the match, but when you have a team so defensive... every single chance wasted, looks somewhat bad.

Just watch the World Cup '10 match, Chile vs Switzerland
Chile attacked the whole fucking match. Suiza had their goal clean since like 2007. Chile could just score 1 goal. And you could say, yeah, Chile wasted their chances of scoring. But if the other team, wasn't so defensive... 3 goals would have been the minimum.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
iKeepPlaying said:
Yeah, but Chile, against any other team, that doesn't play like if it's defending it's virginity, would had maybe 3 times more chances than now. And you translate that into 1 or 2 goals more, easily.
Granted, Chile sucks at scoring, I've been telling this since before the match, but when you have a team so defensive... every single chance wasted, looks somewhat bad.

Just watch the World Cup '10 match, Chile vs Switzerland
Chile attacked the whole fucking match. Suiza had their goal clean since like 2007. Chile could just score 1 goal. And you could say, yeah, Chile wasted their chances of scoring. But if the other team, wasn't so defensive... 3 goals would have been the minimum.

But then you assume that our Gold Cup team would give you opportunities to create the chances needed for you to score. Yes, we wouldn't play defensively, but that would also mean less possession for Chile, a tighter game at midfield, and having to deal with our Dos Santos/Chicharito/Guardado trifecta.

I hate having to work on assumptions on a match that may never happen, but you seem to be under the impression that all Mexican teams play catenaccio. Hell no.

mozfan12

Banned
Regardless of everything, I think this will be the last Copa America for Mexico if it continues this way.

Fortunately the second round should be epic, Argentina v Colombia, Paraguay v Brazil, Uruguay v Chile, with 4 of those teams needing a win.

Altazor

Regulus Tera said:

I actually think your goalie did really well tonight. I originally thought some of the misses were due to our own player's fault, but some of them were actually great saves by Michel (like that face-ball against Suazo).

Regulus Tera said:
But then you assume that our Gold Cup team would give you opportunities to create the chances needed for you to score. Yes, we wouldn't play defensively, but that would also mean less possession for Chile, a tighter game at midfield, and having to deal with our Dos Santos/Chicharito/Guardado trifecta.

I hate having to work on assumptions on a match that may never happen, but you seem to be under the impression that all Mexican teams play catenaccio. Hell no.

Nope. But Mexico is no wonder on the field. I mean, the US scored you 2 goals.... That says a lot.

K1LLER7

iKeepPlaying said:
lol no.

As i said, it was my personal opinion based on what i've seen of both teams, that the normal mexico team would have won. The mexico team would provide a more serious threat to chile with hernandez,gio,barrera,guardado, etc. Chile's defence wasn't tested and will be against uruguay. Missing chances will cost you against better opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom