• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops in standoff w/couple in car shoot them dead...turns out the couple was sleeping

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

This is mind-boggling. This really happened? The police open fired on a vehicle with people in it. For simply just sitting there. For just.

I just can't.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This story makes no sense. Were they really shouting at a car with two sleeping people for 45 minutes before opening fire?
Yeah, there has to be something more to this story, unless the cops really just got bored of waiting for them to wake up and so shot them so they could go home.

Umm, even if the woman had a gun as claimed, if the officers were behind cover, why was there seemingly no attempt at de-escalation? Like, there have been countless instances of of armed citizens interacting with cops and not getting fucking shot up.

i refused to believe this was real and googled their names to see if this was anywhere else... and of course it's real. how .. i .. man ...

*walks away*

Llyranor

This is still a pretty open and shut case.

White cops = Let them go free. Paid holiday.

Minority cop doing the shooting = Manslaughter. Murder is still too lofty a verdict for a cop.

Minority cop within the vicinity of white cops doing the shooting = GUILTY. White shooter gets paid holiday.

So were they sleeping or were they unconscious? It seems like the two keep getting used interchangeably when there's a pretty huge difference.

If they were trying to rouse the two and were unsuccessful like the story said then you'd think medics should've been called to the scene. What happened between trying to wake them unsuccessfully and shooting them?

"Felt threatened" is carte blanche to kill whoever you want. Though that rule isn't applied equally.

I mean now that they've been on the news with little punishment to show for it, they are just taking the Trump approach and bypassing the dogwhistling.

I can't wait to hear about state sponsored lynching adopting ropes again.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If they were both sleeping when initially shot at, the forensics should back it up to some degree.

dejay

Banned
Umm, even if the woman had a gun as claimed, if the officers were behind cover, why was there seemingly no attempt at de-escalation? Like, there have been countless instances of of armed citizens interacting with cops and not getting fucking shot up.

Dude, they tried for 45 minutes. Ain't nobody got time for a stand-off when your lasagne's getting cold.

This sounds so bad that you wouldn't be wrong to think it was made up. America really does have an issue with how trigger happy some of their policemen can be. Here's hoping the kids are able to cope with their loss.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Disobey and die. Even if unconscious.
Shoot first ask questions later.
Escalation over de escalation.
Sleeping while black

But yeah.. Beyonce bringing up the issue at the Super Bowl. That is what deserves criticism.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Reminds me of California settling with the mother daughter who were delivering newspapers and had their truck shot over 200 times. The cops luckily were as incompetent in shooting as they were in identifying suspects. This was during the manhunt for that former cop. Who happened to be over 6 ft tall and black. Not female and Asian and two people.

Everyone always forgets that another truck was attacked that same morning in the same town. It was a white guy who was making a morning surf run. They rammed his truck off the road on sight and then started shooting through his driver-side window.

This story makes no sense. Were they really shouting at a car with two sleeping people for 45 minutes before opening fire?

They routinely shout at and threaten corpses for extended periods so yes?

Kieli

What you bolded in the OP disgusts me to the core.

Fucking shitstains killed innocent mother and father, and has the gall to put out their past misdemeanors as if they have any relevancy to the tragedy at hand.

Plasma

Banned
After admitting that the couple was asleep, Butts quickly defended the officers, noting, “Obviously at some point they were conscious because somebody felt threatened.”

Wouldn't that mean they threatened the police officers and then fell asleep? Do they even think before they come out with these excuses or are are they just so untouchable they don't give a shit either way.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
News report on the incident.

-Cops respond to call.
-Cops come across both sleeping in the car and see a gun.
-Cops isolate the area.
-Cops gives orders to exit the vehicle.
-???
-Cops shoot them dead.

In the news report, a neighbor says the cops opened fired a few seconds after giving the orders. The news report doesn't state if they were awake after the cops turn up.

Pulka

I'm absolutely amazed. They did literally nothing and police felt threatened. Did they even try to communicate with the couple?

Kinyou

After admitting that the couple was asleep, Butts quickly defended the officers, noting, “Obviously at some point they were conscious because somebody felt threatened.”
So he is saying they got into a standoff and then decided to take a nap in the middle off it? In what universe does this make sense?

Vanish

I don't understand. If they thought they saw a gun, wouldn't they have been able to see they were just sleeping? Were the cops just literally standing there for 45 minutes straight having a one-sided standoff? None of this makes sense.

ampere

There have got to be repercussions for cops in these situations... how are you in a stand-off with two people who are asleep. 2 black people in a car = assumption is that they have a gun? wtf

GhaleonEB

O/U on zero consequences for the police? It's not just that they murdered two sleeping people for being black while sleeping. It's that they have a good chance of getting away with it. I feel like this is (another) litmus test. If we can't convict people for this, there really are no limits.

So he is saying they got into a standoff and then decided to take a nap in the middle off it? In what universe does this make sense?

Perhaps the couple were narcoleptics. It'd be far-fetched though. Another day, another murder. Let's not paint pictures that hurt feelings though

ScribbleD

This is the worst one by far. How can shooting 2 people who are sleeping possibly be defensible? Even to the type of people who normally rush to defend the shooters?

To be clear to any future law enforcement personnel reading this: you cannot have a "stand-off" with someone who is sleeping. There is a hint to this fact in the construction of the term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom