• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Costume Quest |OT| of Tricks, Treats, and Adventure

glaurung

navanman said:
Can I continue after the last battle or do I have to go around to grind enough candy for my last 2 battle cards?
I have all the costumes and used them all in battle already.
Your last save point is before fighting the final boss. Instead of interacting with the environment, run back and enter the portals or scout the last level.

Completing the final battle will show you the credits but it will not overwrite your save.

I got a 100% of trophies on this some nights ago and I really liked it. However, for the price I bought it at I would have expected some more replay value.

Edit: Beaten.

Chorazin

Such a brilliant little game, had a great time with it and it was well worth my 1200 Funbux. 200/200 on my first playthrough without tons of stupid bullshit time-lengthening traps? Thank you!!

nny

Finished it today, 100%, etc...great little game.

Now give me your next downloadable game Double Fine!

jergrah

Finished this up last night -- fantastic game. Reminded me of the Penny Arcade games which I really enjoyed. Got all achievements on my first play through without too much trouble.

Final boss took me 3 tries to beat, once I figured out the best combo of costumes and stamps it was fairly easy. First time I went I didnt take a health/support character to regenerate XP was idiotic, haha.

As others have stated, I really hope we see a follow for Christmas!

Also -- I didnt have any issues at all with the text speed or size. Playing on a 42" inch TV and sitting about 7 feet away.

I love the art direction and a lot of the ideas in Costume Quest, but I feel like much of the game is kinda mediocre. By the time I reached the ending, I was practically bored asleep by the combat. I rarely complain about games being too easy, but this was a bit too simplistic. I expected the stamps would make the battles more strategic, but stamp selection ultimately felt inconsequential because the enemies were hardly ever challenging. When I finished battles against even the most powerful opponents, each of my characters generally had half or more of its HP remaining. There's seemingly no way to fail as long as you keep pressing the basic attack button.
I think a greater focus on exploration would have been a major improvement. I would have preferred unlocking new locations with costume exploration powers to fighting dozens of the same enemies with one attack.
Despite that, I'm still looking forward to an expansion, sequel, or spinoff. I would almost definitely buy a Christmas Quest game, although I'm not sure how the costumes would be used in that setting.

WEGGLES

wow.
Just 100%'d this in one sitting.

What a great game.

Just great.

The combat was fun, though repetitive. It never got to the point of tedium.

Loved the art style. Loved the settings. Loved the humor.

Perfect length. Nothing felt short. Nothing felt artificially extended. A great example of what a $15 game should be. A fun little game.

Perfect difficulty. A little on the easy side, at points but that's not a huge deal.

The last boss was a bit of a challenge, but with proper planning it wasn't ever too hard.

The collecting was done right. At no point did stuff take a stupid amount to buy.

Does the kids saying "We should do this every hallowe'en" imply a sequel next year? If so, sign me up!

This game feels like, to me, what portal was to others. A small game being amazing.

Loved it

kaskade

This game really makes me want more seasonal games. I would love to see a Christmas game. I can't really think of too many. Bully is the big one that comes to mind but that's just a section.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I beat this last night and got all the achievements.

I really, really enjoyed this game. It brought back a lot of feelings of older games, particularly with the perspective and the graphics.

The only problems I had were:
  • The text speed was way too fast. I had trouble keeping up at some points.
  • I wish the battles had some more active elements or was fully action/RPG.
  • The battles became very routine by the end.
  • I wish there were more things to do when roaming around the world. There were some nice touches like the strongman game in the Carnival area, but I wish there was just MORE to do other than roam around, bob for apples, find the hidden kids, etc.

I absolutely loved this game. It's definitely a B+ in my book. Some tweaks here and there and Christmas Quest will be an awesome game... PLEASE!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
weird, I actually wish I could have skipped the bubbles faster

you know, i really like this game, but I can't...read...stuff...unless i squint my eyes and lean forward. also, is it just me, or do some bubbles in some of the sequences go by super quick? err, annoying.

Datwheezy said:
Who else caught the Arrested Development reference? GOTY just for that.

Haha Gob in the Banana suit, it made me crack up. There were some really good jokes in here overall.

I usually don't scream for a sequel so soon, but yeah. Next Halloween they better make a second game. With the same gang of friends.

kaskade

I finished the game last night and loved it. I thought the length was perfect for the game. The only complaint I could really have is with the battles. I wish there was little more depth to them. Battle stamps helped somewhat but I found myself sticking mostly to the same ones.

I've mentioned this before but lets see a Christmas game double fine. Costume Quest put me in the halloween spirit more than anything else this year.

I'd say they found a perfect balance if the devs didn't want text skipped. I think it's a little slow, some people think it's a little fast. Works for me.

JesseZao

I enjoyed the demo and the humor was actually quality, but I felt the battles would become boring. I'll pick it on a sale most likely though.

It's nice to see an adventure game that has humor done right in the wake of Deathspank, which is humor done wrong.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
HK-47 said:
They are around Fall Valley before you get
to the maze
I only found two. Any help on exactly where they are would be appreciated as it's all I need to get all the costumes.

How's the 360 version? I have it on PS3 but my friend only has a 360 and I don't want to recommend it if it doesn't run well on the system. Anything like the PS3?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
VGChampion said:
How's the 360 version? I have it on PS3 but my friend only has a 360 and I don't want to recommend it if it doesn't run well on the system. Anything like the PS3?
It runs well. I experience a little framerate issue when walking around once in awhile, but it happens infrequently.

burgerdog

VGChampion said:
It has some odd framerate problems in some areas. Very odd, is the ps3 version better or worse?

Anyway, finished the game today, 100%. Absolutely loved it, I have rb3, fable 3, and enslaved to play as well, but after vanquish this was the perfect game to play. Great game, hoping we get a sequel next year.

Ark Malmeida

Neo Member
Darkmakaimura said:
I only found two. Any help on exactly where they are would be appreciated as it's all I need to get all the costumes.

look for a cave in the foggy field to the right of where the kid is that wants to trade creepy cards. You'll need the space suit's laser sword to get in there

Snaku

Banned
Played this off and on all day today, taking breaks to carve pumpkins, help my siblings out with their costumes, and watch spooky films ranging from Ernest Scared Stupid to Jeepers Creepers. Having finished it about an hour ago, I can say without any hesitation that this is my game of the year. What a wonderful blast of nostalgia. Halloween was my favorite holiday growing up, and this game perfectly hearkens back to the days of innocent trick or treating with my friends. The humor and story were classic Double Fine, the game play was fun, and the visuals were a feast. I would have paid $60 for this.

"Let's do this every year!"

I'll be waiting with my $15 in hand. Your move, Double Fine.

dangeROSS

Finished the game this weekend. I really enjoyed it. Halloween + DoubleFine = fun. I'm curious as to what their next game will be like.

WEGGLES

kaskade said:
This game really makes me want more seasonal games. I would love to see a Christmas game. I can't really think of too many. Bully is the big one that comes to mind but that's just a section.
Some sort of Holiday game (don't see a game company making a specifically christmas game) would be sweet. You could play as snow men.

Suave Top Hat +1 CHR
Broom of Might +1 STR
Corn Cob Pipe of Intellect +1 INT -2HP/second :lol

Bebpo

Banned
Just finished this. Played it on Halloween and finished it up tonight.

I liked the writing, the art direction, the job system, the abilities on the map, the bobbing mini-game was fun, it felt like a cute little adventure game (even had the telltale "repeat the same thing 2-3x" setup).

...but the battles were awful. The battle system itself wasn't bad. Doing it sort of like Paper Mario is enjoyable enough. But the slowness (partially because of all the animations) of the battles and shallowness of them made them dreadfully boring. Everytime I knocked on a door I was in FEAR that there was a monster behind that door. Not because he was a scary monster, but because the thought of spending the next 2 mins in a zzz battle vs. a 5 second skippable candy bag animation clip was ughh.

The best example of why it's not the battle system itself but the way throwaway battles were done is that the boss fights were good. Especially the harder bosses. Choosing the right costumes and battle stamps and playing smart got you through bosses, especially if you were underleveled. The bosses felt like a good turn-based rpg.

But the normal battles posed no threat and it was mainly about how can I kill the enemies ASAP to end this boring battle and you really couldn't do it all that fast since as your attack power grew with levels, so did the enemy HP as they leveled with you :( In a good turn-based rpg, a grunt battle should be in and out of the battle within 20 seconds if you know what you're doing. Even slower, longer battles would be fine if the battle system was exciting, but here it's extremely simple and your attacks are very limited so you're doing the same thing over and over and it's just boring.

So yeah, while I enjoyed most of the aspects of the game, the standard battles pretty much ruined a lot of the game for me. If the game had been 10 hours+ I probably wouldn't have even finished it. It was a constant pull between "I'm having fun" and then a second later a battle starts and "I'm not having fun". It's definitely the Doublefine production I've enjoyed the least simply because at least Psychonauts and Brutal Legend were constantly fun even with their faults.

Also as an aside I'm not sure what the audience for this game is. The simple battles and overall style of the game feels like it's aimed at kids. As if a parent was making "my first rpg" for their kid. But this isn't a DS or Wii game. It's a XBLA/PSN downloadable title and I really don't think that's the right market for games aimed at 13 and under crowd. Maybe I'm wrong and 7 year olds are browsing the XBLA store and buying games with their lunch money, but it just seems like this would do better as a DS game or something.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Had saved at the last part of the game and figured I'd beat it today finally.

Nope, game couldn't read my save file and put me back at the start.

PS3 version.

:(

Ricker

I`m stuck now,in the third section I guess,the Carnival part,I have to find the secret door,after I defeated the guys on the Ferris wheel...I see one kid on the other side of a little wall made of rocks,I can talk to him but not sure how to cross there...missing one piece of one costume that says it was in the Mall part but the find the judge thing at the Mall I didn`t understand so maybe that`s it?

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Ricker said:
I`m stuck now,in the third section I guess,the Carnival part,I have to find the secret door,after I defeated the guys on the Ferris wheel...I see one kid on the other side of a little wall made of rocks,I can talk to him but not sure how to cross there...missing one piece of one costume that says it was in the Mall part but the find the judge thing at the Mall I didn`t understand so maybe that`s it?

If you're looking at the ferris wheel, it's to the right of it. I had a tough time at this point as well, because they don't exactly call that area out well. It's dark, so you'll have to use your sword to get through the area, but it's tucked back that way.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Ricker said:
The Mall contest is easy, you have to talk to the judges and figure out what costumes they like. There's 2 to the left of the stage on the 1st floor and 1 to the right iirc. Look for the fat people with an orange jacket. IIRC they wanted you to wear the
Knight, Statue of Liberty, and the Robot.

As for the Carnie part, it's
next to the Meat Cones, use your light saber.

Me and my wife (not really a gamer) Loved this game to death, she keeps asking me when Christmas Quest is coming.. Make it happen Double fine!

I almost completed the whole game the only thing left was the last boss fight... And just so I can show my friends how cute is this game I started a new game...
Very bad idea... didn't realize there was only one save. I'm now at the beginning of the game. I want to cry :(

Ricker

El_TigroX said:
If you're looking at the ferris wheel, it's to the right of it. I had a tough time at this point as well, because they don't exactly call that area out well. It's dark, so you'll have to use your sword to get through the area, but it's tucked back that way.

I`m right there and next to the Meat cones stand,I see the eyes in the dark to the left of the meat cones but I just can`t pass through there,i`m using the saber that lights up....

have you saved the kids on the ferris wheel yet?

spoiler on how to do it if you haven't:
use the ninja costume's ability to sneak past the dude in front of the cannon

kai3345

Banned
Ricker said:
I`m right there and next to the Meat cones stand,I see the eyes in the dark to the left of the meat cones but I just can`t pass through there,i`m using the saber that lights up....
did you use your ninja skill to sneak past the cannon guy and shoot up onto the ferris wheel?

reminder

Ricker said:

I think you have to play further until a little cutscene shows you that there is a way through it. I tried to go through there, too, but couldn't until the cutscene showed up.

Jim

Ricker said:

The dark you have to go through is NOT the one near the short brick wall (you'll get to that later). It's the one you saw from the ferris wheel. You might not be able to actually go through it until after you finish the trick or treating quest for that area also.

Chû Totoro said:
I almost completed the whole game the only thing left was the last boss fight... And just so I can show my friends how cute is this game I started a new game...
Very bad idea... didn't realize there was only one save. I'm now at the beginning of the game. I want to cry :(

oh man that's rough, lucky my wife has a XBOX Live Free account she uses so the save were separate for us.

sorry to hear man

Ricker

Yeah I did the cannon thing,saved the guys up there and saw a little cutscenes with one of the crow like dudes,sneaking through a door,all the houses are done,I saw the cutscene for that and my quest says to get through the secret door...what I find strange now is in the quest list,before find the secret door,I have get to the top of the ferris wheel that`s checked and after get through the secret door,I have get to the top of the ferris wheel again,that`s not checked...

EDIT: ok for some reason I had to do the ferris wheel thing a second time,now it worked,thanks guys.

Quick question on my progression
I just finished the Mall and forgot to go back to the costume contest, will I be able to return to it?

Top Bottom