• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Costume Quest |OT| of Tricks, Treats, and Adventure

Koomaster

snap0212 said:
I’m so hyped for this game. I really hope the US PSN Store updates early today (notgonnahappen.gif) so I can play it before I go to bed. I already loaded 50 bucks onto my PSN Account. Can’t wait!
I think the game is only $15. :p

I too want to know when the PSN store updates; I am new to the whole dlc thing, only downloaded Noby Noby Boy last week, and now I want to get into Costume Quest. When does the store normally update, or is it just random?

Amneisac

I guess I'm going to wait for the XBLA release if for no other reason than the 800 point promotion when you spend 2400. I've already spend 800 so this will put me at 2000 and then just a measly 400 more and I'll get a little something back.

Jme

Koomaster said:
When does the store normally update, or is it just random?

As far as I know it's been as early as 11am EST, as late as 8pm. Usually is in the afternoon though!

handofg0d said:
As far as I know it's been as early as 11am EST, as late as 8pm. Usually is in the afternoon though!

I don't think it's ever been 11am est. Most of the time you're lucky if it's before 7pm est. Usually between 7-9pm est.

It has to be the worst system ever. I still can't believe it's been this many years and they can't nail things down to a set time.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The store I preordered Vanquish at didn't get it in yet, so this should hold me over until they do.

What's going to hold me over until Costume Quest hits PSN? @_@

Yuripaw

Banned
thetrin said:
The store I preordered Vanquish at didn't get it in yet, so this should hold me over until they do.

What's going to hold me over until Costume Quest hits PSN? @_@
Watch the 20 minute quick look on giantbomb.com over and over until it's up on PSN...like I am, lol

Lakitu

st5fu
Amneisac said:
I guess I'm going to wait for the XBLA release if for no other reason than the 800 point promotion when you spend 2400. I've already spend 800 so this will put me at 2000 and then just a measly 400 more and I'll get a little something back.

Same here. I spent 1760 last week on Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and Alan Wake: The Writer and I'll put 1200 towards Costume Quest tomorrow and I should receive 800 points which I'll use on Undead Nightmare :D They should do more promotions like this.

Any idea if we receive the 800 points straight away?

Ezalc

I just realized that the game comes out today, I kept thinking it was going to come out tomorrow for PSN and that it was weird considering PSN usually updates on Tuesdays. Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to this but I want to know the estimated gameplay time on it is.

Maddog

Lakitu said:
Same here. I spent 1760 last week on Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and Alan Wake: The Writer and I'll put 1200 towards Costume Quest tomorrow and I should receive 800 points which I'll use on Undead Nightmare :D They should do more promotions like this.

Any idea if we receive the 800 points straight away?

You don't get them back right away sadly. They take a while to process them but at least sometime after October 31.

Jme

Ezalc said:
I just realized that the game comes out today, I kept thinking it was going to come out tomorrow for PSN and that it was weird considering PSN usually updates on Tuesdays. Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to this but I want to know the estimated gameplay time on it is.

Estimated ∞ hours of FUN

Lakitu

st5fu
Maddog said:
You don't get them back right away sadly. They take a while to process them but at least sometime after October 31.

Oh damn, thanks though. Hope I get it before Undead Nightmare comes out.

Why must this be released on the day of Super Meat Boy, on the week of Vanquish and Fallout: NV, the week before Fable 3, Rockband 3 & Blazblue continuum shift in the UK :( I hate my lack of fiscal responsibility.

My girlfriend is gonna freak out when I tell her this is coming out this week.

And then she's gonna flip because I'll tell her it's available for PSN today, but Xbox tomorrow -- and she'll be torn because she wants to play it badly but she also likes her achievements :lol

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So want but we Xbox 360 people have to wait until tomorrow. What time does MS usually have their games up?

Yes, it's up! Go to "Games" then "View all games" and it's listed under "C".

That is, until the update goes up proper.

Edit: Ok now it's up with New Releases.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I downloaded the demo (even though I'm quite sure I'll be buying it), and while I'm loving it so far, what is with the completely empty background sound. There's ambient sound, but it's largely very sparse, and there's rarely any music at all.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I want to like this game, but it's fighting back so hard based on the demo.

Almost no music.
Quick Time Event Combat.
No voice acting in a dialogue heavy game.
Uneven writing.

Why you gotta keep playing me like this Double Fine?

thetrin

The total lack of attention to the sound in the game was, I'm sure, to keep the file size down, but it's hurting my enjoyment.

thetrin

V_Ben said:
Size, and costs probably :(

I really don't care about voice acting. The total lack of music is balls, though.

V_Ben

Banned
thetrin said:
I really don't care about voice acting. The total lack of music is balls, though.

Yeah, I'm cool with the lack of voice acting, but to hear that there's no music in the game? That seems really weird. I'm gonna be trying the demo out tomorrow from the EU store, in the vague hope that this is some kind of awful glitch :/

thetrin

Let's not overreact. I only played the demo for 15-20 minutes. There are a few tunes here and there, but it largely lacks in music in much the same way the Penny Arcade RPGs did.

Maybe that changes later on.

DaBuddaDa

Alex from Giantbomb on the bombcast said he started playing the game at 7:30pm and beat it in one sitting at around 2:00am with only two short little breaks. Makes it about a ~6 hour game.

Owzers

Costume Quest has problems, the lack of substantial music is disappointing and some of the text in cutscenes goes by too fast for me to read and it really should have had voice acting there, but i did have fun in the demo and will most likely buy the 360 version to take use of the 2400pts/800pts back promotion. The combat doesn't really have quick time events as much as it has "prompts" so far, unless things change it's just hitting one button per move, which i like.

seady

I was so hyped for this game... but it seems the impression doesn't look too good...

I would have thought music to be one of the most important things in a game like this. Sound is the most important thing to create an Halloween theme atmosphere.

Dynamic3

sillymonkey321 said:
Costume Quest has problems, the lack of substantial music is disappointing and some of the text in cutscenes goes by too fast for me to read and it really should have had voice acting there, but i did have fun in the demo and will most likely buy the 360 version to take use of the 2400pts/800pts back promotion. The combat doesn't really have quick time events as much as it has "prompts" so far, unless things change it's just hitting one button per move, which i like.

I completely forgot about that and bought the PS3 version, which sucks especially because I also wanted to purchase Limbo and could have just made the threshold.

Is there really no save option?

h3ro

Played a good amount of the demo. Wish there was a way to stop the text from scrolling, like having to press X after each paragraph was done. I missed a good amount of it because I'd watch the animation or something and miss a good amount of the sentence.

The game has some really good ideas, writing (what I could read of it) was funny and the game has got a fun and cute feel to it. Just feels a little unfinished though, agree that it's a little weird not to hear any music. I'm probably going to give the demo another run through tomorrow and check out the XBL version just for a quick comparison.

For those interested in the AV side of things, the PS3 version runs at 720p and has DTS track. :D

Yuripaw

Banned
Mejilan said:
Someone sell me on this.
Quickly.
I'm kinda feeling the same way. I really want someone to sell me on this now. I was hyped for it, and wanted to buy it, but all the negative comments on here are discouraging me from getting it.

Honestly, I don't know if all the stuff like no voice, and music bothers me all that much. What bothers me the most is if it's really short...someone said Alex on the bombcast said it was only about 6 hours long? Really discouraging, and tired of these $15 games coming out so short on content. Especially when on PSN I can spend $10 on grandia, or Final Fantasy Tactics, or $6 on something like Alundra, or Arc the Lad.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Some comments after 2-3 hours or so:

* I'm hearing (good) music during combat. It would've been nice to have it during the rest of the game, though, especially considering the proportion of time spent outside of battles. Lack of voice isn't a big deal for me.

* The writing alternates in quality between good and really good. It's never amazing, though, which disappoints me considering Tim Schafer's previous output.

* The combat is fast and the special abilities (via stickers) are well-done. It's a bit simplistic so far, but hopefully that'll change. There are no random encounters--this is a good thing. Also, like strategy RPGs, your health goes to max after each battle.

* The pacing is good. There's not much time spent on filler (hitting stuff to collect candy is optional and doesn't make a huge difference) and the robot costume's turbo-speed minimizes travel tedium. The game is generally densely-packed with clever, entertaining stuff.

So far, it's a really good Japanese-style RPG. Worth the $15 if the quality keeps up for another 4 or 5 hours.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
The
knight and statue of liberty costumes
make a really good strategic team. I just got to the mall.

I'm also not sure this game needs to be longer than 6-7 hours. Once you've played a good bit of it, I think it would get old after 10.

Top Bottom