• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Costume Quest |OT| of Tricks, Treats, and Adventure

Okay, just 100% finished the game.

I started at about 7:30EST, took an hour break during it and ran around like a headless chicken for almost an hour looking for the final piece for a costume. So yeah, the 5-6 hour thing is absolutely spot on.

All in all, I enjoyed the hell out of the game. It was a very enjoyable ride and I look forward to any future installments - just please, make it longer next time!

Oh, and Statue of Liberty FTW!

Psy-Phi

cryptic said:
Every time I by a doublefine game I always find a caveat that somewhat ruins the experience. This game is way too short for what I paid for it.
Err....isn't it like 5 hours long? I played for a good hour at least today and just got to the 2nd area.

I've paid 59.99 + tax for games that are 8 hours long.

Flipside

Revolutionary said:
Okay, just 100% finished the game.

I started at about 7:30EST, took an hour break during it and ran around like a headless chicken for almost an hour looking for the final piece for a costume. So yeah, the 5-6 hour thing is absolutely spot on.

All in all, I enjoyed the hell out of the game. It was a very enjoyable ride and I look forward to any future installments - just please, make it longer next time!

Oh, and Statue of Liberty FTW!

Are there missable achievements/trophies? Going to pick up the game later today.

Flipside said:
Are there missable achievements/trophies? Going to pick up the game later today.
Yeah, a bunch. The game ends once you beat it so if you don't have everything then I think you'll have to get it again on your next run.

EDIT: Ah, nice! So I basically went crazy for nothing. :lol

Estival

Revolutionary said:
Yeah, a bunch. The game ends once you beat it so if you don't have everything then I think you'll have to get it again on your next run.
No, you can pick continue from the main menu and it puts you right back before the last boss. Which, I guess, means nothing is missable since you can return to the older areas

Denzar

Keyser Soze said:
Cause you were 30 minutes early asking... although it is 15 minutes late now, so feel free to complain

That means I have to wait at least 45 more minutes!

Damn you GMT+1!!!!

Rlan

Downloaded it on Live, under "All" in Arcade, rather than under "C".

The demo seems to show that the game doesn't have any sort of Leaderboards, which is kind of weird. To those with the full version -- does it have Leaderboards?

Lakitu

st5fu
Rlan said:

The demo seems to show that the game doesn't have any sort of Leaderboards, which is kind of weird. To those with the full version -- does it have Leaderboards?

Thanks! Downloading the full version now.

hamchan

Rlan said:

It's an RPG adventure so I think it wouldn't. I can't find any.

Rlan

hamchan said:
It's an RPG adventure so I think it wouldn't. I can't find any.

XBLA games have a rule requiring every XBLA game to have a Leaderboard. Few games have ever been able to break it (Watchmen for example) so it's weird that this one got away with it too.

It's a bit silly to devs for games like this, but what it's meant to be for is to allow you to see if any of your friends have bought the game, and therefore ask them what they think. If 20 of your Xbox Live friends own a game, chances are you're likely to give it a shot too.

Just checked on 360. Super Meat Boy is available for download, but Costume Quest says "This feature is unavailable at this time" or something to that effect.

I tried going to Marketplace Online and it says there's a glitch and they're too busy playing Reach to fix it? It's weird, but I hope they get their shit together soon because I wanna have a clothing party.

Denzar

Played it for about an hour and loved it. It gave me that warm fuzzy feeling in my underbelly that Bully also gave me.

Dance In My Blood said:
I want to like this game, but it's fighting back so hard based on the demo.

Almost no music.
Quick Time Event Combat.
No voice acting in a dialogue heavy game.
Uneven writing.

Why you gotta keep playing me like this Double Fine?

and no custom music support, I could boost the OST by playing the Nightmare Revisited album :/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEbDXByF2EQ :D

I'm also not cool with it being another 15$ game, even though the demo kinda sold me on the game. What to do aaaah

Still cant find it on live in Canada, even under C in all arcade :(

I found super meat boy though, so the wait is less painful.

Edit: it seems they have added it while i was typing!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SolidusDave said:
I'm also not cool with it being another 15$ game, even though the demo kinda sold me on the game. What to do aaaah

I've yet to play the demo and I'm intrigued, but the $15 price is a big turn off for me. It's maybe not fair on every game that is $15, but I can't help but feel it's a concerted push on the part of devs and pubs to make $15 the new standard for pretty much all PSN/XBLA games. So I sort of look suspiciously at all such games now.

chris121580

About 3 hours in. Such a fantastic game. My only complaint so far was trying to find the last piece of the statue of liberty costume. They really don't give you much of a hint as to where to go. It took me forever to figure it out

Jme

Played for about an hour or so last night - going very slow taking my time. Having a blast, it's absolutely charming! I like to take my time and look at all the details, especially when I know it will be short.

Any 'official' reviews yet to add to the OP?

DryvBy

I plan on picking this up after vacation. It will be a nice treat for between times of Fallout NV, Castlevania, Rock Band 3, and ModNation Racers, all of which I just got in the past few weeks.

DaBuddaDa

"Charming" has replaced "visceral" as the new "horribly overused adjective used to describe video games." Between this, Meat Boy and Kirby, I have never seen so many grown men say the word 'charming' as much as I have this week.

gofreak said:
I've yet to play the demo and I'm intrigued, but the $15 price is a big turn off for me. It's maybe not fair on every game that is $15, but I can't help but feel it's a concerted push on the part of devs and pubs to make $15 the new standard for pretty much all PSN/XBLA games. So I sort of look suspiciously at all such games now.

yeah, the 15$ price used to be only for games with exceptional amount of content and/or production value.
Ok, it's kinda hypocritical as most retail games also have incredible differences in these areas but yet they all cost the same. ^^

But now that we have the PAL update list, I think I'll buy the PAL version today as the game is 11.25€ which is not much more than the usual 9.99€ (and I think they choose this price to get an almost perfect currency conversion which is a a big plus. Most 10€ games are obviously more expensive than their 10$ counterparts. Though the PAL prices include taxes so I guess it's ok).

no music/XMB custom music still sucks though!

chris121580

DaBuddaDa said:
"Charming" has replaced "visceral" as the new "horribly overused adjective used to describe video games." Between this, Meat Boy and Kirby, I have never seen so many grown men say the word 'charming' as much as I have this week.
:lol The art style is incredible in this game

hamchan

DaBuddaDa said:

It's not our fault these games are all coming out at the same time.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
SolidusDave said:
But now that we have the PAL update list, I think I'll buy the PAL version today as the game is 11.25€ which is not much more than the usual 9.99€ (and I think they choose this price to get an almost perfect currency conversion which is a a big plus. Most 10€ games are obviously more expensive than their 10$ counterparts. Though the PAL prices include taxes so I guess it's ok).

I was expecting €15 based on the dollar price so this is good news. €11.25 is definitely more appealing.

stupei

Rlan said:
XBLA games have a rule requiring every XBLA game to have a Leaderboard. Few games have ever been able to break it (Watchmen for example) so it's weird that this one got away with it too.

It's a bit silly to devs for games like this, but what it's meant to be for is to allow you to see if any of your friends have bought the game, and therefore ask them what they think. If 20 of your Xbox Live friends own a game, chances are you're likely to give it a shot too.

Yeah, even the Telltale adventure games have had them. They made theirs based on like number of unique phrases heard per player or something. :lol

poweld

Finished up this game 100% this morning. Really great fun! I do wish that the attack minigames were a little more varied. I was hoping there would be an attack that was fairly difficult/random to get a bonus on, but that it would give a huge bonus when you hit it.

$15 may have been a bit much if I'm going to compare the value of such stellar titles as Shadow Complex, but really solid overall, and what a great style! The humor wasn't laugh-out-loud funny, but certainly hit the right notes and made me smile.

Lakitu

st5fu
Played it for a couple of hours and I'm now at
Autumn Haven Mall
. I love it so far, it's so addicting, I had to force myself off.

Tried the demo and enjoyed it. Out of curiousity, is it possible to 'finish' the demo? It seemed like I couldn't get through the big gate even if I went to all the houses that I could get to.

I'm not sold on the game entirely. I love the concept, but it just feels like another DF game - you either love it or you hate certain parts of it that turn out as game-breakers for you. I got really annoyed when it started chugging too. Castlevania I can understand, this? Not so much..

Plus SMB came out today and made a much bigger impression on me. I'll give it another go later..

ToxicAdam

DaBuddaDa said:

Have you forgotten "immersive" so quickly?

I just watched the Giant bomb quick look and im utterly astounded as to how I missed this game until launch day, looks friggin amazing!

Top Bottom