• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Costume Quest |OT| of Tricks, Treats, and Adventure

Dynamic3

ryan-ts said:
It saves during certain parts of the game, like if you get a new quest right at the top of the screen it says saving...

I really hope that isn't the only way to save. Being forced to play to the next plot point because you found some items/candy and want to save is absurd.

ryan-ts

Dynamic3 said:
I really hope that isn't the only way to save. Being forced to play to the next plot point because you found some items/candy and want to save is absurd.

It's got nothing to do with plot point, there are quests everywhere. Talking to random people will easily net you a new quest. I'm sure there are other ways to save as well, I'm just commenting on what I've played so far.

Here are a couple quests I've gotten

- Making a new costume. The guy I talked to provided me with the information to make a new costume.
- Finding stuff for a recipe. A lady wants me to get supplies for her pie.

Estival

I'm finding the game really fun, and charming, too. The music doesn't bother me -- there's music during battles, and when you're wandering the neighborhood there are background sounds and the occasional couple notes of music. I honestly didn't even notice until I read the complaints here. What's there is fine.

mik

mik is unbeatable
It's super-cute and pretty fun—but there are some fit & finish issues already. The auto-save thing is one of them. Where and when it saves is unpredictable at this point, and there's no spot yet to outright manually save (there may be at your house or something later). Also, sometimes the speech bubbles have an X icon to advance, sometimes they go automatically. This is a bit of a problem since the text is really small and in a funky, handwritten font. Makes it hard to read as fast as you need to sometimes (I do read at nearly a fourth grade level, for the record).

On the plus side, the combat is fun in a Penny-Arcade-Adventures-match-the-timing-on-the-meter way. And even though I've only got two costumes so far, I can tell that's going to be a really neat dynamic.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So far from what I'm reading, nothing has discouraged me from wanting this game. I already knew there was no voice acting and had assumed it was going to be a very short game.

What I'd like to know is what is the story for this game? Also, are there any indoor dungeons because from what I've seen so far, everything takes place outdoors.

ijed

Darkmakaimura said:
What I'd like to know is what is the story for this game?
"In Costume Quest, you control one of two siblings on Halloween night. Just before you set off trick-or-treating your brother or sister (depending on who you choose to play as) is kidnapped and you set off into the neighborhood to rescue them and escape a severe grounding."

Hadn't read anything about this until today but now am totally, ungourdly sold.

Mifune

Mehmber
Demo is awesome.

Lack of music is being blown way out of proportion. It's actually more atmospheric without wall-to-wall music.

I'm buying this tomorrow, since I already have some Live points.

Yuripaw

Banned
ijed said:
2heexd1.gif

Off topic, but I just wanted to say I like your avatar. I have such fond memories of C64 Boulder Dash. I didn't think anyone else remembered it but me.

Darkmakaimura

ijed said:
"In Costume Quest, you control one of two siblings on Halloween night. Just before you set off trick-or-treating your brother or sister (depending on who you choose to play as) is kidnapped and you set off into the neighborhood to rescue them and escape a severe grounding."

Hadn't read anything about this until today but now am totally, ungourdly sold.
Cute and simple.

I just added 1200 points to my account for this game! Going to purchase and download it first thing tomorrow!

Yuripaw said:
Off topic, but I just wanted to say I like your avatar. I have such fond memories of C64 Boulder Dash. I didn't think anyone else remembered it but me.
Wow, I didn't even catch that! I was hooked to the C64 version as well.

alanias

Yeah the music thing is really being blown out of proportion. It does have music in the overworld, just not all the time. Overall I am very impressed so far. Some of the battles can be really close if you don't get all the button prompts right.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I just beat the game, in about 4 hours.

It's pretty short, repetitive and easy, but it's really charming. I don't regret my purchase, but maybe some will want to wait on a price drop or sale.

Now the only thing left to do is go back to grab the
Unicorn
costume piece I missed.

Ezalc

Brazil said:
I just beat the game, in about 4 hours.

It's pretty short, repetitive and easy, but it's really charming. I don't regret my purchase, but maybe some will want to wait on a price drop or sale.

Now the only thing left to do is go back to grab the
Unicorn
costume piece I missed.

About how many costumes are there?

mik

mik is unbeatable
DidntKnowJack said:
I can't believe I'm stuck already. I can't find the damn
Pie ingredient.
use the knight's shield to get the cherries without the squirrels hitting you with their nuts.

Nuts!

Brazil

DidntKnowJack said:
I can't believe I'm stuck already. I can't find the damn
Pie ingredient.
It's a little cherry behind a tree in the "party" that has it's entrance blocked by the kid that wants to see a "patriotic" costume. You have to wear the Knight costume and use its ability in the overworld to protect yourself from a rampaging squirrel.

Brazil said:
It's a little cherry behind a tree in the "party" that has it's entrance blocked by the kid that wants to see a "patriotic" costume. You have to wear the Knight costume and use its ability in the overworld to protect yourself from a rampaging squirrel.
That must be why. I haven't been able to
complete the costume to get into that party.

Brazil

DidntKnowJack said:
Hmm. I haven't seen any
squirrels
but I'll keep looking.
I don't think you actually see him. He's in a tree, and when you try to grab the cherry you're being blocked by something and your companion mentions a squirrel.

I was disappointed in the humor in the demo for the most part. I expected more from Tim Schafer. I didn't laugh at all, my wife chuckled at one joke. Then again, I never played more than the demo of Brutal Legend but I didn't get much out of that either.

Maybe I should get the "good old days" out of my mind when it comes to playing his games.

At any rate I'd be happy to see this come on PS+ eventually.

Darkmakaimura

I heard the game goes up on XBLA at 2 AM tonight (Wednesday morning). I might just stay up to download it!

dralla

What's the replayability like? Is there stuff to collect or any reason to go back and play it when you're done?

Has anyone found the last piece of the
Unicorn
costume in the second area of the game? I swear I've looked everywhere for it - it's literally the last thing I'm missing in the game. I can't find it for shit. :(

EDIT: Nevermind, finally found it. Fuck you, escalators!

this is an rpg right? isn't 4-6 hours is super short for an rpg? how much story is there? is it an episodic game that ends with cliffhanger?

Darkmakaimura

Callibretto said:
this is an rpg right? isn't 4-6 hours is super short for an rpg? how much story is there? is it an episodic game that ends with cliffhanger?
My guess is it's not since it seems like a "seasonal" game. It would be at least another year before we see a sequel, if it ended that way. The trailers made it seem like it was an RPG intended for people of all ages, thus being simple enough for children to pick up and play.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is it anything like a JRPG? Kinda reminds me of Earthbound though.

ULTROS! said:
Is it anything like a JRPG? Kinda reminds me of Earthbound though.
Less Earthbound and more Paper Mario in terms of combat. One, two or three characters using timing enhanced skills in a turn based format.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Before playing the demo, I thought I would love the game. I <3 JRPGs. The music was a sticking point for me, and the combat in general seemed really boring.

I'll probably have to skip this. 4-6 hours is too damn short for an RPG.

randomkid

Played the demo knowing nothing about the game, thought it was really great. It's so nice looking and I was really just very charmed by the whole scenario, wandering around the neighborhood, getting into Super Mario RPG-esque battles, admiring the little touches like falling leaves and the random funny lines of dialogue. The writing was really exceptional I thought, I laughed out loud several times (I remember the chauvinist joke caught me completely off guard, and some of the random lines the monsters say to you are pretty funny).

I couldn't really beat the demo though, it says you need to obtain candy from all 20 homes but I could only reach 15, is it purposefully designed to prevent you from progressing past the gate?

cryptic

Every time I by a doublefine game I always find a caveat that somewhat ruins the experience. This game is way too short for what I paid for it.

Top Bottom