• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Costume Quest |OT| of Tricks, Treats, and Adventure

quickwhips

Ok my wife and are almost done with the game. We spent all day playing it but we can find the last piece of the unicorn costume. Are they all at the mall?

quickwhips said:
Ok my wife and are almost done with the game. We spent all day playing it but we can find the last piece of the unicorn costume. Are they all at the mall?

Its interesting how many wives are playing and loving this game (my own included) I believe more woman would play a lot more video games if the settings were right.

quickwhips said:
Yes, all three parts are in the mall.

I can only remember two atm, but here's where they are at least:

1. All the way to the left on third floor is a part of the rail you can break, break it and jump down to a chest.
2. Enter the railroad track from the arrrcade, and go towards the screen to enter another screen where there's another chest.

quickwhips

JetBlackPanda said:
Its interesting how many wives are playing and loving this game (my own included) I believe more woman would play a lot more video games if the settings were right.

Yeah but she also beat Decay and Decay 2 last night. The funny thing is she showed me that game I didn't know what it was under indie games and we had blast playing that also.

Estival

AndyMoogle said:
Yes, all three parts are in the mall.

I can only remember two atm, but here's where they are at least:

1. All the way to the left on third floor is a part of the rail you can break, break it and jump down to a chest.
2. Enter the railroad track from the arrrcade, and go towards the screen to enter another screen where there's another chest.
I think the last part is...
Up an escalator that leads to a hidden room?

aceface

In the demo you could pick the boy or girl at the beginning. Can you actually play as either? Does it change the dialouge? Could add to replay value if so.

Tomasooie

This game is honestly really mediocre. It's not what I would expect from Double Fine. Can you even finish the demo? Or do they just let you wander around until you realize the last five houses are locked off?

WEGGLES said:
That fast text thing is a bummer. I'll buy it now, for the Oct promo, then wait on a patch
Judging from the demo, it's not even as bad as some were saying. Nuts & Bolts and Dead Rising were much worse.

WEGGLES

That fast text thing is a bummer. I'll buy it now, for the Oct promo, then wait on a patch

and by wait for a patch I really mean forget about this until June 2011 just as the next summer game slump hits

ijed

aceface said:
In the demo you could pick the boy or girl at the beginning. Can you actually play as either? Does it change the dialouge? Could add to replay value if so.

Charcter Selection screen sold me - so awesome :D

This game definitely wasn't on my radar - had never heard of it. But I check XBLA new releases every wednesday for the hell of it. Downloaded this just out of boredom (waiting for a new and very promising Ultima Online private shard right now..)..

But holy shit this game is a lot of fun. Spent like 30 minutes on the demo, had to buy it. Totally interesting concept and a blast to play so far. Just came here to make sure other people were playing this. Back to it!

I cant wait to sink my teeth into it, right now I am watching my wife play and its great! my concerns over the fast text were for nothing she is doing fine.

HALLOWEEN = awesome

quickwhips

ok wife found last piece of unicorn before you guys posted by luck. She just beat it and 200/200 her first xbla game. Pretty awesome. We started about 11 o'clock this morning and finished at about 11:30. Pretty fun time.

Weetrick

I've been waiting to play this game since it was announced!

Although I'm going to wait until Halloween weekend to play, for the full holiday effect... (and since I now know that I can beat it in one day)

Really enjoyed the game so far, think im near the last boss, only thing I would say is that I thought it was going to be longer but I have enjoyed what i've played so well worth the cash.

aparisi2274

So I have a question about the battle system.

Is there anyway to heal during a battle? I know that certain costume's special move will heal your party, but is there no way to use an item or something to heal? Or do I get that ability later on in the game?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
aparisi2274 said:

Is there anyway to heal during a battle? I know that certain costume's special move will heal your party, but is there no way to use an item or something to heal? Or do I get that ability later on in the game?
Based solely on the costumes.

Koomaster

aparisi2274 said:

There are two battle stamps that will auto heal you a bit each turn.

jtkauff

Definitely not liking the save system. Put about an hour into the game, finished 5 or so quests and got to level 3. After reading up on the same system, I finished one more quest, waited a minute, and then returned to the menu. Just turned it back on to see that it didn't save any of that, probably since I unlocked the full game while playing it as a demo.

Blech.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
jtkauff said:
Definitely not liking the save system. Put about an hour into the game, finished 5 or so quests and got to level 3. After reading up on the same system, I finished one more quest, waited a minute, and then returned to the menu. Just turned it back on to see that it didn't save any of that, probably since I unlocked the full game while playing it as a demo.

Blech.
That doesn't make sense at all. As soon as I completed a quest (even after buying the full game while playing the demo) it would autosave for me. So for you to say you actually finished 5 quests and you lost all that progress smells funky.

jtkauff

xxracerxx said:
That doesn't make sense at all. As soon as I completed a quest (even after buying the full game while playing the demo) it would autosave for me. So for you to say you actually finished 5 quests and you lost all that progress smells funky.

*shrug* That's what happened. It definitely wasn't saving - now that I've replayed up to that point again and know what the "now saving" graphic looks like, it definitely wasn't appearing, nor was it prompting me in any way to select a hard drive/flash drive or anything else indicating it was trying to. Had no issues whatsoever the second time through. I suppose it also could have been a bug due to me having gotten into the Xbox dashboard preview program, since it does use that interface to do the purchase.

Regardless, a manual save option would be nice, especially a "save and quit".

Spwn

Completed it just about 30 minutes ago and really enjoyed the game. I wasn't bothered by the text speed, missed maybe two or three lines because of it. Great presentation and witty dialogue made Costume Quest a very pleasant experience.

Just beat the game and...man, that game was AWESOME!

I loved the story, I loved the ending, I loved the battle system, I loved the costumes, I just loved everything about that game and I cannot wait to replay it. I hope Double Fine supports it with some form of DLC because I need more Costume Quest. In fact, just go ahead and start on a sequel because I will buy it day one.

This is easily the best downloadable title I've ever bought. No regrets whatsoever about buying it and I just love the hell out of it. It stands alongside Brutal Legend and Psychonauts as my favorite Double Fine games of all time.

There's a few niggles that are keeping me from enjoying the game. The first one you notice is the stupidly fast text speed. You have to read it quick before it moves on to the next one, meaning it's hard to take in what's being said or sometimes missing bits alltogether. It's compleyely stupid why you aren't given the option to press X to continue. Totally unnessessary for it to be done the way it is. I'd like to have seen speech dialogue in the game read it that fast. Now that would have been funny.

Next the awful static camera. Far too much gets in the way. Massive trees or fences down alleyways. Houses getting in the way. The partly invisible object view doesn't help matters as it's still hard to see.

The second freezing now and again and some slowdown for no reason is highly annoying. Also the fact that the movement of the character isn't instant. It takes a second for him to move so it's also annoying.

The premise of the game seems cool, but the niggles are stopping me from buying it sadly.

Nose Master

Wow, fell for the hype reallll bad on this. It's like a bad version of Penny Arcade :lol. Does it get any better? I just got to the graveyard. I love the premise/charm, but... the gameplay just isn't there.

Spwn

I know there's a lot GiantBomb hate here, but Alex Navarro's review of Costume Quest pretty much summarizes my thoughts.

Nose Master said:
Wow, fell for the hype reallll bad on this. It's like a bad version of Penny Arcade :lol. Does it get any better? I just got to the graveyard. I love the premise/charm, but... the gameplay just isn't there.

Tell me how the gameplay differs from other jRPGs.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Switched this on at 11pm last night, next thing I knew it was 1am :lol

I absoloutely love it. Cute. Charming. Simple. Fun.

Owensboro

Throw me in the camp that played the demo for around 10 minutes and then immediately bought it at the first prompt (I feel like a schmuck because it was a "keep a trophy" prompt, but oh well). It's basically Paper Mario's battle system dumbed down a little (no real "item" usage), which isn't a bad thing. It's not super deep, but I'm not playing it because of the combat. This game is just plain entertaining in the same way other Double Fine games are.

I started playing after putting a load of laundry in our machine at 7pm, only to glance at the clock later and notice it was 10:30 and I hadn't put anything into the dryer yet. It's real easy to just want to see "one more" area / text section of this game.

hamchan

Spwn said:

It's an extremely light version of a JRPG, sorta like those Mario RPGs except even simpler than that. I can see how it might not be for everyone.

Spwn said:
The gameplay is extremely simplified compared to regular jRPGs. And jRPGs usually have simple gameplay to begin with.

I felt that the game was ok at best. Some funny lines here and there, but it was definitely not as funny as I had hoped.

Spwn

AndyMoogle said:
And jRPGs usually have simple gameplay to begin with.

This is what I was aiming at. Usually when playing Final Fantasy I can just smash one button to win a battle without even looking what's happening. At least Costume Quest makes you pay attention.

Jme

I have updated the ungodly OP with all the charming reviews I could. It was a truly immersive experience walking about the suburbs, and visceral combat added to my enjoyment. I love how meta the dialog can be, although it seems pretty fast.

But seriously - I think my save my be bugged or something, I am stuck in the suburbs with 19/20 houses trick or treated but it's very clear to both me and my wife that there are no houses left. :(

Lakitu

st5fu
Completed it not too long ago. My favourite XBLA title along with Limbo. Fantastic stuff. It's not huge in quantity but everything else is great, it's really fun. And the combat, while simplistic was also addicting. Definitely worth the 1200pts.

Is it me or
did the ending hint to there being a sequel next year?

wow, I would never have imagined that I would prefer Costume Quest, a game I wasnt even interested in till I tried the demo (it sounded stupid) to Final Fantasy XIII.

You know I was wondering if I was unable to enjoy turn based RPG's but its clear that it is not that there is anything wrong with the genre, its just there is so little advancement/innovation/creativity in the genre in terms of releases.

Biggest upside surprise of the year for me.

Owensboro said:
Throw me in the camp that played the demo for around 10 minutes and then immediately bought it at the first prompt (I feel like a schmuck because it was a "keep a trophy" prompt, but oh well). It's basically Paper Mario's battle system dumbed down a little (no real "item" usage), which isn't a bad thing. It's not super deep, but I'm not playing it because of the combat. This game is just plain entertaining in the same way other Double Fine games are.

I started playing after putting a load of laundry in our machine at 7pm, only to glance at the clock later and notice it was 10:30 and I hadn't put anything into the dryer yet. It's real easy to just want to see "one more" area / text section of this game.

Same here :lol

aparisi2274 said:
For some reason I really enjoy using my rocket skates on my robot costume to zip around whatever section I am in...

yeah, I wish every costume had the wheelie shoes. When the game forces me to change costumes I put it straight back to robot as soon as I can. what sucks is because of that I'm the robot every time in battle

Yuripaw

Banned
Just beat it. I am sad that it's over, but I really enjoyed it. I really hope they make more of these games. I don't know, I think it would be cool if they did try to come up with another holiday themed title with the same kids or something.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Yuripaw said:
Just beat it. I am sad that it's over, but I really enjoyed it. I really hope they make more of these games. I don't know, I think it would be cool if they did try to come up with another holiday themed title with the same kids or something.

I can get behind this.

Jme

I would totally be down for another holiday game, in the same universe, same kids. Obviously it wouldn't have costume battle, but that's easily worked around with some creative thought. Quick (read: terrible) example - Christmas Quest: Wren and Reynold camping out to capture photo evidence of Santa. Instead an unknown evil henchmen comes down the chimney, mistakes your sibling for a christmas elf, and runs off with him, but drops his satchel of christmas magic dust as he flees. You take it and gain the ability to fly up chimneys and go after him - battling mutant trees and snowmen along your journey to the north pole to get your sibling back while uncovering a plot to ruin christmas and overthrow santa.

Top Bottom