• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Costume Quest |OT| of Tricks, Treats, and Adventure

Coldsnap

is there a hard ending to this game or after beating it can you run around and complete all the quests, cards, and costumes?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
DaBuddaDa said:
"Charming" has replaced "visceral" as the new "horribly overused adjective used to describe video games." Between this, Meat Boy and Kirby, I have never seen so many grown men say the word 'charming' as much as I have this week.
I'm sorry. :lol

I honestly couldn't find a different word to describe it.

Beezy

Why doesn't the OP mention that this game is basically an rpg? Thank god for demos or else I would've completely ignored this game. The combat is basically like Paper Mario.

nickrempe

Neo Member
I am loving this game, I think the art style is fantastic and the dialogue is great (especially when Everett lands on his dice). I just made it to the second area and am pumped about what the new costumes will bring to the battles. It does feel like RPG lite, but my wife is loving it and I am excited to own another Double Fine game a years since Brutal Legend.

However, I bought the game on PSN and am experiencing little frame skips or the visuals have a little jank when I am moving around the overworld. I don't really know what is causing it, but is everyone else having silky smooth walking/heelying in the overworld?

slewis7

My 2 cents:

I am an hour into this. The dialog is really clever, the graphics are pretty, the gameplay is simple but fun. Who doesn't love Halloween? Perhaps it is more of a $10 game, but it is so charming, I bit at $15.

Preaching to the choir:

I was interested in 2 PSN games this week including this and Aqua Panic! I downloaded the Costume Quest demo and loved it enough to buy. There is no way to try out Aqua Panic!, so no buy. This is why every game should have a demo.

I'm nearing what I assume is the final part of the game. I've really enjoyed the whole experience, no regrets with the purchase at all, but the frame rate stutters had me scratching my head. None of it is game breaking by any means, but I have no idea why a game like this would stutter so much.

slewis7 said:
Preaching to the choir:

I was interested in 2 PSN games this week including this and Aqua Panic! I downloaded the Costume Quest demo and loved it enough to buy. There is no way to try out Aqua Panic!, so no buy. This is why every game should have a demo.

Actually, there is a PSN demo available in the PAL Stores since July, so you could have tried it :p

eznark

Banned
Datwheezy said:
The dialogue with the leader of the
Patriot party/club
had me laughing for a good 5 mins.
That was good stuff.

I'm really enjoying the game. It's strange that there is no ambient music but other than that little niggle, no complaints.

slewis7

SolidusDave said:
Actually, there is a PSN demo available in the PAL Stores since July, so you could have tried it :p

Thanks for the heads up!

Obligatory Costume Quest reference: I would love to see a premium theme for this game.

hamchan

nickrempe said:
I am loving this game, I think the art style is fantastic and the dialogue is great (especially when Everett lands on his dice). I just made it to the second area and am pumped about what the new costumes will bring to the battles. It does feel like RPG lite, but my wife is loving it and I am excited to own another Double Fine game a years since Brutal Legend.

However, I bought the game on PSN and am experiencing little frame skips or the visuals have a little jank when I am moving around the overworld. I don't really know what is causing it, but is everyone else having silky smooth walking/heelying in the overworld?
It definitely has frame rate issues.

DaBuddaDa

Estival said:
I'm finding the game really fun, and charming...
randomkid said:
It's so nice looking and I was really just very charmed by the whole scenario...
Brazil said:
It's pretty short, repetitive and easy, but it's really charming.
hamchan said:
Game is super charming and easy. I love it.
handofg0d said:
Having a blast, it's absolutely charming!
slewis7 said:
Perhaps it is more of a $10 game, but it is so charming, I bit at $15.

At the end of the day, if the game is also visceral and immersive, I think I will buy it!

Dabanton

Such a Charming game... :D

In all seriousness it's light and airy it looks nice and it has that lovely suburban feel that all the best kids films have.

Played 5 mins earlier and will purchase when i get home my only complaint is they could have picked a better font it's a bit hard to read at a distance...

hamchan

It's like trying to describe Kirby's Epic Yarn without using the words charming or cute. The game is what it is, glad there's a consensus that it's charming.

about an hour in, some of the combat strikes are really visceral and the world is really immersive, makes me want to go trick or treating

**looks over at DaBuddaDa...**

Ezalc

hamchan said:
It's like trying to describe Kirby's Epic Yarn without using the words charming or cute. The game is what it is, glad there's a consensus that it's charming.

Adorable. This game does have a good graphical style though, but I'm still not completely sold on it.

hamchan

Gryphter said:
about an hour in, some of the combat strikes are really visceral and the world is really immersive, makes me want to go trick or treating

**looks over at DaBuddaDa...**
Charming impressions my good man.

TheLegendary said:
Played the demo for 5 seconds and I had a smile on my face after the first scene. Quit and purchased full game immediately.

This is exactly what I did.. I cant wait to get home and start the real game.

I don't understand the $15 dollar hate, people buy blu-rays and dvds they watch for 2 hours and shelf for 6 months, whats $15 bucks for a 5 hour game?

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
We get an awesome
charming
6 hour game for $15, and will be getting another entirely different, probably awesome as well, new game as early as spring, and people are complaining?!

Thisisgaf.gif, I know

The $15 thing seems to be pretty divisive but do keep in mind we've had much shittier games of similar length or production value show up asking for the same price (*cough* Sonic 4). We've also had some great titles show up for the same price or slightly less, like Deathspank or Scott Pilgrim.

I think there's a pretty decent consensus that Costume Quest is unique and worth playing, so I dunno if it can be discounted entirely because it's a little more expensive than the typical DLC game.

If it's an experience I'm not gonna get anywhere else then I dunno if price needs to be much of a factor when we're talking about all of $5 here. That's just me, though. After watching the Giantbomb quicklook I absolutely need this game. This is a pretty different direction for Doublefine, it clearly works, and I hope it pays off for them.

ryan-ts

I'm okay with charming. When people start using words in their reviews that should be set aside only for food then I will have a problem.

Costume Quest is a delicious option for gamers seeking a rather tasty Halloween treat. It will assault your taste buds and leave you asking for seconds. Mmmmm Mmmmmm good.

Darkgran

Love the game. I had to force myself to stop playing...well my wife kinda forced me to stop.

Anyway I can't wait to put a little more time into it.

seady

Feel bad for this game, seems like Microsoft is putting ALL the attention on Super Meat Boy with all the promotion and sale, while ignoring this game existed. There isn't even a review for this game anywhere, while Super Meat Boy is getting 9s everywhere since a few days ago.

seady said:
Feel bad for this game, seems like Microsoft is putting ALL the attention on Super Meat Boy with all the promotion and sale, while ignoring this game existed. There isn't even a review for this game anywhere, while Super Meat Boy is getting 9s everywhere since a few days ago.
To be fair, Super Meat Boy does have a timed exclusivity deal hence it makes sense to heavily promote it whereas Costume Quest is also on PSN.

Shurs

seady said:
Feel bad for this game, seems like Microsoft is putting ALL the attention on Super Meat Boy with all the promotion and sale, while ignoring this game existed. There isn't even a review for this game anywhere

That's not Microsoft's fault, blame the lack of reviews on THQ.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Goldrusher said:
I was surprised there are no voices, feels weird after having just played both DeathSpanks.

Me too. I double checked the options because I really didn't expect there not to be any voice acting. It's a shame since Double Fine's games are usually enhanced quite a bit by excellent voicing.

hulot

schick85 said:
It sucks how they couldn't make the PSN version as buttery smooth as the XBLA version.
I'm on 360 and it stutters quite a bit, during battles and while wheelie-ing. Also just crashed on me.

I've got two questions:

1. Is there no way to manually save?
2. How do I get to those chests on the left side of the second floor of the mall?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Nils said:
Me too. I double checked the options because I really didn't expect there not to be any voice acting. It's a shame since Double Fine's games are usually enhanced quite a bit by excellent voicing.

Yeah, I just played the demo and the lack of voices really felt strange in a game from Doublefine (seeing as they always seem to handle presentation in an excellent way). Actually, I felt the sound in general was kind of mediocre (sadly). Maybe it's a budget thing.

Also, it strained my eyes a bit trying to read the dialogue because of the unusual and small font used in the game. Maybe that's just something you have to get used to (or I'm getting old!).

Nekofrog

Banned
Loving the game, but the tiny and rapid fast text is really destroying the experience for me. Please patch it, Double Fine.

Nekofrog said:
Loving the game, but the tiny and rapid fast text is really destroying the experience for me. Please patch it, Double Fine.

I read pretty fast and I was surprised how fast the text moved, my wife really wants to play this game but the fast text might be a problem.

I only played the demo, but found I was rushing to read everything as well, combined with the small text and questionable font.

Make it so you press "A" to move onto the the next piece of dialogue would be ideal.

Datwheezy said:
I agree. The text moves just a tad bit too fast in the parts you have no control over it.

It'd just leave a nicer taste in the mouth (no pun int.) if you controlled the scrolling yourself. Although, I might add, it might be a difficult problem to fix the problem, given that the text is during cutscenes (IIRC). You couldn't exactly patch that, could you?

Also - does the lack of a save system get in the way?

ryan-ts said:
I'm okay with charming. When people start using words in their reviews that should be set aside only for food then I will have a problem.

Costume Quest is a delicious option for gamers seeking a rather tasty Halloween treat. It will assault your taste buds and leave you asking for seconds. Mmmmm Mmmmmm good.

Sounds like Kevin "Hungry Man" VanOrd.

Just put an hour into it, really liking it so far. Playing more for the story/experience. Gameplay is too easy but it feels nice to have more Paper Mario like systems out there. I'm also becoming a fan of 5-10 hour RPGs, seems weird but you level up in NO time and get to the cool stuff a lot faster. Certainly beats an entire summer of grinding shit in FFXIII.

There is just one UNFORGIVING flaw in this game and that is the lack of an active Save function. WTF was Tasha thinking? I'm not expecting Fallout style saving but AT LEAST give me an auto-save when quitting a game, should not be hard to implement into the game right?

I hope their next projects implement a proper save function. Nevertheless a fun distraction and thank you Doublefine for a laidback experience, keep the good stuff coming!

reminder

Love the game so far :) I don't think that the "missing" music is a flaw in this game, though. I think it really fits the "Halloween Night" atmosphere. Also, i don't have any problems with the text etc.

For me, it's a little gem and maybe even my DD GOTY.

Dance In My Blood said:
I want to like this game, but it's fighting back so hard based on the demo.

Almost no music.
Quick Time Event Combat.
No voice acting in a dialogue heavy game.
Uneven writing.

Why you gotta keep playing me like this Double Fine?

This. I was excited about the game, but this makes it a no buy for me. Plus the slowdowns I got when just walking past some trees in unacceptable!

Top Bottom