• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Costume Quest |OT| of Tricks, Treats, and Adventure

played up until i obtained the last piece for the
space warrior
costume. game is adorable and totally captures the feeling of being 10 years old on halloween. i really wish it had some voice-over because of how sharply written all the dialogue is; i can just hear some of these voices in my head.

having a really great time. the combat really keeps things fun and engaging with the QTE-style button prompts. many of the battles really come down to the wire.

jergrah

Bought this last night - had made up my mind since seeing the first trailers and then watching the GB Quick Look. Played up until I got to the mall last night, cant wait to jump back in when I get home.

graywolf323

I'm really tempted to pick this up but after hearing how short the game is and with the $15 price tag I'm back on the fence

if it was $10 I would have bought it by now

cleveridea said:
You know I was wondering if I was unable to enjoy turn based RPG's but its clear that it is not that there is anything wrong with the genre, its just there is so little advancement/innovation/creativity in the genre in terms of releases.

this's pretty much what i thought after a few hours of resonance of fate - nothing wrong with the genre that some imagination can't fix...

really enjoying costume quest, btw :) ...

I really enjoyed the demo for this last night. It reminds me of the Penny Arcade games in a way. I haven't decided if I'm going to pick it up or not. I will probably wait on a sale since I have plenty to play already (including Penny Arcade adventures 2).

graywolf323 said:
I'm really tempted to pick this up but after hearing how short the game is and with the $15 price tag I'm back on the fence

You're really that much on the fence over $5? That's like less than the sales tax you'd pay on a full price game.

Tadale

I'm stuck with a couple of things in the mall and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm missing one hide-and-seek kid, and the last piece of the unicorn costume. Someone earlier said that there was a hidden room at the top of an escalator, but I can't quite figure it out.

EDIT: Nevermind, found the last costume piece, still can't find that elusive kid.

graywolf323

Ninja Scooter said:
You're really that much on the fence over $5? That's like less than the sales tax you'd pay on a full price game.

being an unemployed college student yeah I am

also the fact I have ~$12 in my PSN Wallet would make $10 much more easier

also 5% sales tax in Virginia and who buys games full price in stores? :lol

Bliddo

Picked it up today, I didn't even know this game existed until Tim Shafer himself sent a message to all of his xbox friends :lol
I'm glad he did, I'm really enjoying its athmosphere and art style. Too bad for the lack of voiceovers

graywolf323 said:
being an unemployed college student yeah I am

also the fact I have ~$12 in my PSN Wallet would make $10 much more easier

also 5% sales tax in Virginia and who buys games full price in stores? :lol

well that makes sense (and i live in California I'd kill for 5% sales tax :lol) Hopefully there is some kind of discount or price drop (after Halloween?) soon.

Jme

graywolf323 said:

Play the demo and be prepared to get right back off the fence. :D

legbone

bought this at lunch. cool little game. dare i say delightful. anyways, i don't mind the lack of voiceovers as much as i thought i would. i am enjoying using my imagination to make up voices. it makes me a little nostalgic for the good old days of gaming, back when i was the one doing the trick or treating no less. i am usually not one for rpg's unless they are of the diablo/champions of norrath variety (hack and loot). i can tell i am going to have a grand time with this once i get to sink my teeth into it (bobbing for apples reference ftw!).

Damn, I'm stuck at 18/20 houses in the first neighbourhood, and I've been skating around for ages now. Any ideas? I've got the
Statue of Liberty costume and the Pie Lady out of the way

Tranced Shadow said:
Damn, I'm stuck at 18/20 houses in the first neighbourhood, and I've been skating around for ages now. Any ideas? I've got the
make sure you check both sides of every street. i was missing one house on the street with the mummy gang that i was sure i had done.

Jme

Tranced Shadow said:

I'm stuck at 19/20 and I've gone up and down both sides of every street several times each. I kind of wish there was a minimap or something but I'm sure I'll find it if I try again.

Tadale

OK, ignore my help pleas above. I beat the game at 200/200 points, took about 6-7 hours. Very satisfied with it for $15.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
handofg0d said:
I would totally be down for another holiday game, in the same universe, same kids. Obviously it wouldn't have costume battle, but that's easily worked around with some creative thought. Quick (read: terrible) example - Christmas Quest: Wren and Reynold camping out to capture photo evidence of Santa. Instead an unknown evil henchmen comes down the chimney, mistakes your sibling for a christmas elf, and runs off with him, but drops his satchel of christmas magic dust as he flees. You take it and gain the ability to fly up chimneys and go after him - battling mutant trees and snowmen along your journey to the north pole to get your sibling back while uncovering a plot to ruin christmas and overthrow santa.
Yeah you could turn into Elves, Gingerbread Men, Candy Canes, etc.

bathala

Banned
stayed up all the way to 4am to finished the game 200/200

I don't regret my purchased. really satisfied.

make an episodic game of this

nli10

deadmuffin said:
has anybody gotten to
big bones
yet? I just got to him...hard as all get out

I just went back & picked up all the stuff I'd skipped
(basically I emptied the corn maze and bought the last of the stamps)
and the second time he fell pretty easily.

Just make sure your stamps and outfits are geared to fighting one person not a group and you'll be fine. And take a healer (
NEIGH!!
).

Shame I only got the last bit of the
vampire
costume
from the very well hidden dark cave
after I finished the game, I used it for two fights and got the ach. to get 100% and now it's all done! Rare for me to finish a game in a few sitings (I'm ill) but I'd say it was at least 6 hours - prob longer with distractions etc. and hunting for the last bits. Worth the cash I'd say - any longer the combat would have become a chore.

Like Deathspank I was happy to pay the premium for a game that did RPG a bit differently, I didn't spend ages sorting gear, or worrying about stats - I just played & had fun & swapped about the costumes and stamps as appropriate.
I'd have possibly added some stuff to do with the neighbouring kids post game so you got to use the new costumes more - like a Bully's Revenge bit when you get back to town but just for fun and everyone gets to share the 'Candy' afterwards.
Trick-Or-Treaters visiting my house will be treated a little nicer this year.

Ed: And there are reviews now - 70% average, which I'd say is maybe a little low considering what the game sets out to do, but fair.

Just got to the third area. Totally charming. Though I can only echo the comments that VA and a map would have been nice.

Now I know we're supposed to champion creativity and not running ideas into the ground but I want Christmas Quest and Easter Quest and Summer Quest and Costume Quest 2 and so on.

Edit: Oh my god, the
French Fry
Costume is amazing. Out of battle, in battle, the victory animation, everything.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Finished it a couple of hours ago.

I liked the game. It's short and simple, but it fits this kind of game. I do kind of wish
there was a fourth area like another dimension where you fight Cadaverous Big Bones
but it was nonetheless fun.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
If the giant bomb quick look didn't sell me on this, should I avoid it? It seemed very twee and "my first RPG" and it didnt seem to have that Shafer brand of intelligent crazy humour either. I'm a big fan of psychonauts and grim fandango but this doesn't seem on the same plane (I skipped the jack black one as well come to think of it).

cjdunn

Okay, I searched and didn't find anything:

Is combat broken? Actually, broken in your favor. I've missed some of the QTEs and my character still lands the blow. Now I've done it repeatedly and on purpose and they still hit with seemingly full damage.

Defense on the other hand is clearly not the same way. If I miss, I get hit for lots of damage.

Any one else notice?

ryan-ts

Some of the references this game throws out are great. I was particularly fond of the nod to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

cjdunn said:
Okay, I searched and didn't find anything:

Is combat broken? Actually, broken in your favor. I've missed some of the QTEs and my character still lands the blow. Now I've done it repeatedly and on purpose and they still hit with seemingly full damage.

Defense on the other hand is clearly not the same way. If I miss, I get hit for lots of damage.

Any one else notice?

If you don't do the QTE you will not get the maximum amount of damage. The attack lands no matter what.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Hmmm, can I get the enemies to respawn after I've beat the boss. I'm missing the trophy to use all the special abilities in battle.

You can fight the final boss again, that's what I had to do as I'd not used the
Vampire's
ability.

quickwhips

I know someone people said they didn't like this game because it was to simple. But it hits a wider audience that I think is needed. My wife who wouldn't play rpgs except for Final Fantasy 9 for some reason. Loved the game. This and Limbo have been the first xbox arcade games that she has loved and played through from begining to end. If it had been more complex she wouldn't have liked it. The characters are great and the battle system is just right for someone jumping into rpgs. The only complaints she had was her charcter on the world map would get stuck on stuff and she would think she couldn't walk through some doors or go up some escalators but I got her through that. Also the text moves to damn fast for somethings.

Nekofrog

Banned
As indicated in my previous post, the text is killing the game for me. Until Double Fine patches the game to fix this issue, I won't be playing it or buying any future Arcade games from them.

Sucks, because I want to like it so bad, and the text issue is seriously destroying the experience. I like to imagine the voices in my head, and it's very hard to do when I'm struggling just to keep up.

Scarecrow

need some help in the mall costume contest. Some lady wants something educational. The closest thing I have to that is the Liberty costume. Is that what she wants? Also, there's a chest inside a pumpkin I can't seem to get into.

ryan-ts

Scarecrow said:
need some help in the mall costume contest. Some lady wants something educational. The closest thing I have to that is the Liberty costume. Is that what she wants? Also, there's a chest inside a pumpkin I can't seem to get into.

Yes. Also, get onto the 3rd floor of the mall and you'll be able to jump into the pumpkin

aparisi2274

Need help with the Mall
unicorn
costume. I have 2/3 pieces and someone in this thread mentioned an escalator that goes up to a secret room. For the life of me I can not find this escalator...

Any ideas??

watkinzez

Setting and writing is excellent, but the battle system was wearing thin by the time I left the first area. The graveyard and first boss offered some decent strategy, though, so I hope it continues on that curve.

Nekofrog

Banned
xxracerxx said:
What is the issue?

It uses a extra small, odd font. And in cut scenes you can't press a button to move text forward, it automatically scrolls an an extremely fast pace, making it easy to miss dialogue.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Nekofrog said:
It uses a extra small, odd font. And in cut scenes you can't press a button to move text forward, it automatically scrolls an an extremely fast pace, making it easy to miss dialogue.
Come on, guys. You can't be that slow reading.

It is kind of foolish that the dialogue scrolls automatically, but this is overreacting.

Nekofrog

Banned
Brazil said:
Come on, guys. You can't be that slow reading.

It is kind of foolish that the dialogue scrolls automatically, but this is overreacting.

Have you played it? It's ridiculously fast for the size and shape of the font.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Nekofrog said:
I'm near-sighted and don't wear glasses, so I did have to be close to the screen. But for anyone who isn't near-sighted or has glasses, it's not that big of a deal.

Nekofrog said:

For me (personally) it is just the perfect speed for me to absorb and move on. I love it because I don't have to press ANYTHING to keep going and the writing is enjoyable. Believe it or not I get some pain occasionally from exceedingly repetitive motions (advancing text in RPGs) so I find my self using all sorts of different angles and fingers to press buttons monotonously. So for me, very refreshing and thank god it's not slow. I do see where people would have a problem with the scrolling speed.. Strange design choice at the very least I suppose.

legbone

the speed is fine for me too. i have had no problems keeping up. in fact, i read faster than it scrolls, so sometimes i'm left waiting. and no, i don't know how to speed read.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Played demo with no intention of buying.
Earned a trophy and game asked if I wanted to keep it.
Bought it instantly.

Very fun so far. And even made me laugh. (playing as the girl)

I thought they didn't make games like this anymore.

Kaldea

Bought it yesterday and finished it today. I absolutely loved it. :D Need more games like this!

Oh, and I thought the text speed was just fine too.

Mifune

Mehmber
I don't mind the text speed, either. It's occasionally a little too fast but it reminds me of Monkey Island, where at times whole lines flew by before you could read them.

Top Bottom