• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Costume Quest |OT| of Tricks, Treats, and Adventure

Yeah and I'm a speed reader (I did a course on that shit and it works wonders in my day-to-day life) so I'd like to X-button my way through that text like a poet on acid.

Give me the option please. :lol Another thing to consider in Doublefine's next (text-heavy?) project....

bdizzle said:
You're wife can't read can she?

:lol

she can read just fine but I know she reads slower then me and I was finishing the text boxes and maybe a second later it was moving on.

I am not ripping on the game, I just find it strange that game that uses only text and no dialogue doesn't allow you to press A to move on.

JetBlackPanda said:

she can read just fine but I know she reads slower then me and I was finishing the text boxes and maybe a second later it was moving on.

I am not ripping on the game, I just find it strange that game that uses only text and no dialogue doesn't allow you to press A to move on.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm a really fast reader, but it was hard for me to keep up sometimes.

stuminus3

stupei said:
Yeah, even the Telltale adventure games have had them. They made theirs based on like number of unique phrases heard per player or something. :lol
Delayed response, and totally off topic, but this kind of nonsense is honestly enough to tell Microsoft to go fuck 'emselves. Sure the 360 is a closed platform, I get it, but when they show such telling signs of utter stupidity...

On that note, I shall be downloading Costume Quest on 360 tonight. :D

nli10

It's a kids game, but it has lots of reading so it feels wrong.

For a flu addled me, after easy (and BOY is it easy so far) RPG hits it's great fun.

The levelling is meaningless really, and the costumes and stamps add all the variety and scaling.

Shame they couldn't have got some kids in to do the voices (or a scary lady like Bart in the Simpsons) to make it a complete package, but with about 6 quests to do I'm saying it's worth the money and the time.

If you are on the fence after the demo and don't have kids then wait for a sale.

Koomaster

Coldsnap said:
is there a hard ending to this game or after beating it can you run around and complete all the quests, cards, and costumes?
After beating it and the credits roll, you can still 'continue' the game, it'll throw you back to right before the last boss fight. So you can go back to all the worlds, complete any quests you missed.

I found it hard NOT to complete quests before moving on to the next area. It's not like there are too many of them, and often you'll complete the quest with little effort just doing your normal fighting. As long as you explore everywhere, and fight all the monsters you see, you should be completing quests left and right.

Overall, a short but sweet title; really really wish it was a longer game. Not because I am disappointed at the price, but I just love everything about it so much, could easily play for hours and hours more and not be bored. I hope expansion packs are planned, extra story, more quests, costumes, etc. I have already 100% the trophies and everything; I am wondering if it's too soon to start over from the beginning? :lol

Denzar

There's one coffin i can't seem to get to in the mall. it's inside a big pumpkin.

Any tips, because I think that is the place to find the last part of my Unicron costume.

I also feel so very manly for just asking that.

Deepack said:
There's one coffin i can't seem to get to in the mall. it's inside a big pumpkin.

Any tips, because I think that is the place to find the last part of my Unicron costume.

I also feel so very manly for just asking that.
Drop down from a broken guardrail spot on the third floor.

JetBlackPanda said:

Ah! I played like 20 minutes yesterday and I found the text speed unbearably fast, so much that I wonder if I'll continue playing as it's super annoying to me. Good to know I'm not the only one and the first comments I see on the game are around this :lol

pixelpushr

Neo Member
Okay, so how do I make this game save? I lost about 30 minutes of gameplay thinking it saved after I got to level 2 but I loaded up the game and was back at level 1.

I'm sitting here now (back at level 2) and afraid to quit because I can't figure out how to make it save.

pixelpushr said:
Okay, so how do I make this game save? I lost about 30 minutes of gameplay thinking it saved after I got to level 2 but I loaded up the game and was back at level 1.

I'm sitting here now (back at level 2) and afraid to quit because I can't figure out how to make it save.
I think it's autosave only. The "Now Saving" notification only comes up after finishing quests and such.

stolin

I just finished it 100%, about 5.5 hours. It's very fun, cute & charming and definitively has SNES RPG classic style. It's worth playing even at $15.

But overall I wish it had a least 1 more area, rather than just the current 3. Also maybe some more crafting or user creativity with the costumes. Voice would have also helped HUGE for the comedy...

lutheran

If you had only enough money to buy one which would it be, Costume Quest or Super Meat boy? Having a hard time deciding.

DaBuddaDa

lutheran said:
If you had only enough money to buy one which would it be, Costume Quest or Super Meat boy? Having a hard time deciding.
They are as opposite of games imaginable, there is no way to accurately recommend one over the other. Buy based on personal genre preference.

Shurs

DaBuddaDa said:
When did I ever say it's juvenile or inapplicable?

I dunno.

DaBuddaDa said:
"Charming" has replaced "visceral" as the new "horribly overused adjective used to describe video games." Between this, Meat Boy and Kirby, I have never seen so many grown men say the word 'charming' as much as I have this week.

DaBuddaDa

Shurs said:
That quote indicates neither applicability or that its usage is juvenile. The word is quite apt at describing the game but it's been overused in the media recently, beyond Costume Quest and Kirby.

Shurs

DaBuddaDa said:
That quote indicates neither applicability or that its usage is juvenile. The word is quite apt at describing the game but it's been overused in the media recently, beyond Costume Quest and Kirby.

I guess I mistook your meaning when you said you hadn't heard "grown men" use the word as thinking you found the word to be juvenile. Sorry.

love this game so far. didn't even finish the demo because it was apparent that i would be keeping my girlfriend from bedtime for too long. (got to the hide and seek quest)

i'm going to get it this weekend, but my only complaints so far are:

-text bubbles go WAY too fast, especially considering how small the text is. im running 720p on a 26" and i had to make dumb-i-can't-hardly-see face.

-the lack of voice overs makes the overall quietness of the game almost unbearable.

-who decided there shouldn't be a map? unless i'm missing something or it's not in the demo version. hit every button and scoured the journal pages. :\

-wish i could turn the camera. there are lots of candies and what not hidden behind objects and buildings. again, if i somehow missed that feature let me know. i hit every button.

Breezy fun wrapped around a gooey core of personality and humor. Yummy! Combat could've been more engaging but the game's charm outweighs that lack of visceral immersion in that area.

Missing the first part of the
Vampire
costume and the three Battle Stamps next to "No-Eyed Vampire Bat".
Help would be appreciated.

It took me about 6 hours to beat, in what was essentially one sitting. I'm kinda sick, so it was just one of those days i guess. I loved it. I got all the chievos in one play through, but ill definitely be going back for another around Halloween. Such an adorable game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
nli10 said:

For a flu addled me, after easy (and BOY is it easy so far) RPG hits it's great fun.

The levelling is meaningless really, and the costumes and stamps add all the variety and scaling.

Shame they couldn't have got some kids in to do the voices (or a scary lady like Bart in the Simpsons) to make it a complete package, but with about 6 quests to do I'm saying it's worth the money and the time.

If you are on the fence after the demo and don't have kids then wait for a sale.

lol if its for younger players, all the more reason to slow the text the fuck down. Should have just made it press to continue. I dont see why they went with auto text.

rSpooky

Lots of fun with this one. My 8 year old daughter started a game on it as well today , and she is doing really great. She even figured out before me how to get into the sewer. :lol

This is her first RPG that is not pokemon. She is pretty good at it.

Tomasooie

nli10 said:
Just like with Nuts & Bolts, the developers don't consider the fact that kids will be reading this. I can keep up just fine, especially with a game like this where the details don't matter enough to mull them over, but most kids won't even stand a chance here.

The lack of voice acting, the short length, and many other aspects out this as a budget title, and yet they sell it at a premium price. Double Fine...

But the demo is engaging so far, and it has the Halloween aura down well enough. Maybe I'll buy it next Halloween when it's sure to go on sale.

Okay...so I'm already stuck. :/

I can't find the baking ingredient for Putterpam, nor the last piece for the Statue of Liberty costume.

Am I stupid?

Actually...don't tell me I'm stupid. It's already been a long day.

EDIT - I'm too dumb to live. Or at least too dumb to play Costume Quest...figured it out.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
bigdaddygamebot said:

I can't find the baking ingredient for Putterpam, nor the last piece for the Statue of Liberty costume.

Am I stupid?

Hint: The Knight costume also has special powers.

Rlan

Game is quite quiet - i guess they intentionally didn't want zelda / banjo gobbldygook noises, but i think they would have fit well here.

Rlan said:
Game is quite quiet - i guess they intentionally didn't want zelda / banjo gobbldygook noises, but i think they would have fit well here.

Yeah it's off-putting for the first ten minutes, but I've gotten use to it.

kai3345

Banned
fucking microsoft.

I have 390 MS points from the Bing Promotion and was just going to download 1000 points, but then apparently they've changed the purchase increments to 400 points. Ugh.

Dabanton

bigdaddygamebot said:

Am I stupid?

EDIT - I'm too dumb to live. Or at least too dumb to play Costume Quest...figured it out.

That ingredient had me stumped for a few mins until i looked right in front of me. :lol

robot

daycru said:
I love this game, Doublefine are now redeemed for Brutal Legend.

Was thinking the same thing, the game is great. Would love to see a new DLC quest next Halloween.

Having trouble getting the last part for the
Unicorn
costume.

I can see a chest on the other side of a rail on the second floor of the mall but can't find a way to get to it because the train is in the way. I tried both sneaking and using the skates to try and get through before the train came but no luck.

Anyone gimme a hint? Literally the last thing I have to do before beating the final boss.

r3n4ud

Sure there may be complaints about the minimal music or the game's length, but damn the game is f-u-n

Isn't that what gaming is all about?! Well worth the price I'd say.

Top Bottom