• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Shroud |OT| Matsuno fails saving throw, relegated to eShop release

soultron

Banned
Was finally able to pick it up. God, that intro movie, with that music, it's like I'm playing FFT/Vagrant Story all over again.
I bought Chaos Rings (Android mobile game) after playing several hours of Crimson Shroud (on ch.2) and I must say that this game is an absolute joy to look at and listen to, even moreso after playing trash like Chaos Rings. It takes me back to being a kid playing SNES/PSX games.

And simultaneously reminds me how most (modern) JRPGs are terrible in terms of gameplay, translation, base story, etc.

CS = god tier nostalgiablast.

I really hope we hear some more about Guild02 pretty soon. I know the series has had a rough start in Japan, but I'm hoping these individual releases will help pick up interest.

I would still buy a retail copy of Guild01 if offered, just to support the concept and this awesome game.

duckroll

I really hope we hear some more about Guild02 pretty soon. I know the series has had a rough start in Japan, but I'm hoping these individual releases will help pick up interest.

I would still buy a retail copy of Guild01 if offered, just to support the concept and this awesome game.

I kinda wonder if releasing them on eShop might have had the opposite effect in Japan. Interest was never all that high in the project to begin with, but I fear that what few fans they had who bought the retail release might already have been turned off by the fact that they released a significantly enhanced version of the headline title (Crimson Shroud) on eShop for 800yen without ever patching the retail game with the same improvements. I know I would be pissed. Don't see why anyone would have confidence in buying Guild02 at retail when it comes out now. :p

I kinda wonder if releasing them on eShop might have had the opposite effect in Japan. Interest was never all that high in the project to begin with, but I fear that what few fans they had who bought the retail release might already have been turned off by the fact that they released a significantly enhanced version of the headline title (Crimson Shroud) on eShop for 800yen without ever patching the retail game with the same improvements. I know I would be pissed. Don't see why anyone would have confidence in buying Guild02 at retail when it comes out now. :p
It does kinda suck for early adopters, but there weren't enough of them to support the series in the first place.

The best bet would be to release Guild02 in retail and in individual digital downloads at the same time. Have the retail release include some bonuses, or sell it for less than all four digital releases combined. Hopefully the still unrevealed fourth title will be something really special to get people fired up.

Narag

Damn, that was pretty legit. Looking forward to the second playthrough. Only quibble i had was the chapter 2 thing.
I was farming skeleton kngihts for a while because I'd killed a few archers and never saw mages spawn so it never occurred to me there was another class. In retrospect, I should have realized given the analogs to the main party in most encounters.

Shahadan

Got destroyed by the Witch Kings (or something) yesterday. I LOVE this game. I don't want it to end. Tell me the ending is far away ;_;

panda21

put in two hours now, this game is awesome. the story is cheesy but well done and the mechanics are really cool.

i don't think i fully understand the chain system though, and it feels like the extra dice you get from it are more of a gamble than a significant bonus? i thought the chain was only for magic, but i seem to be getting it from physical attacks.

the art style is really nice (reminds me a lot of the little i played of vagrant story), and i'm really interested in what Matsuno will do next now. does he have a twitters or a website or somsething?

Celine

It does kinda suck for early adopters, but there weren't enough of them to support the series in the first place.

The best bet would be to release Guild02 in retail and in individual digital downloads at the same time. Have the retail release include some bonuses, or sell it for less than all four digital releases combined. Hopefully the still unrevealed fourth title will be something really special to get people fired up.
New Soul Blazer game by Miyazaki and Hashimoto.
Believe ;_;

M3d10n

Still in chapter 3, I got my ass beaten by
Lichs
. I think I have a problem: Lippi hardly deals any damage to anyone. Did I miss some key gear or something?

Narag

I was able to faceroll my way through on my second playthrough up until the
dragon
in Chapter 3. Feels good to hit that wall and have a challenging fight.

Boney

Banned
Still in chapter 3, I got my ass beaten by
Lichs
. I think I have a problem: Lippi hardly deals any damage to anyone. Did I miss some key gear or something?

Guess you haven't had good luck with bow drops. Try melding some bad bows you got lying around see if that helps in the meantime.

Alias Greed

Neo Member
Just finished the game and i have a question for those that played new game+

Does a second or third play-through change the ending ?

If the answer is yes ill do a second play-through a lot faster.

Loved everything about this game. Story, Music, Characters, fighting system, everything was great. Loved how the characters interacted with each others. I need more matsuno !!!

duckroll

Yes, in the second run, all your skills, items, and equipment carry over, and there are a couple of new rooms on each floor, which you need to find access into. The enemies are also harder, and there are some new ones too. Apparently if you manage to do all the optional stuff before you complete the run, you get a different ending. I'm near the end of my NG+ run, but it's getting really hard lol.

redcrayon

Yes, in the second run, all your skills, items, and equipment carry over, and there are a couple of new rooms on each floor, which you need to find access into. The enemies are also harder, and there are some new ones too. Apparently if you manage to do all the optional stuff before you complete the run, you get a different ending. I'm near the end of my NG+ run, but it's getting really hard lol.

I was just about to ask that, thanks!

Loved the ending of the first playthrough, looking forward to hunting around for a different one.

panda21

roughly how many times do i have to
fight the skellingtons at the start of chapter 2 to get the drop i need? you kill both the archers first, then the mages that appear to get a chance of it dropping right?

Peff

roughly how many times do i have to
fight the skellingtons at the start of chapter 2 to get the drop i need? you kill both the archers first, then the mages that appear to get a chance of it dropping right?

It's random, so it goes from one to, well, infinite, hah. But it shouldn't take too long if you are doing it right, which you are, just make sure you don't already have it.

I haven't been able to check it out myself, but apparently NG++ has
optional joke narration. Sadly it also appears not to have been translated, but at least the game has both languages

panda21

It's random, so it goes from one to, well, infinite, hah. But it shouldn't take too long if you are doing it right, which you are, just make sure you don't already have it.

lol just checked i already have it, that saved me some time, thanks

Nohar

I haven't been able to check it out myself, but apparently NG++ has
optional joke narration. Sadly it also appears not to have been translated, but at least the game has both languages

*sigh* I really hate to discover that a game is the victim of that kind of botch-up.

Oh well... Still enjoying the game. It's weird : my counter only shows 12 hours, but it feels like much more. Though, I have to admit that, despite being really refreshing regarding to the gameplay ideas and the narration (I love that narration, and that music too), the game becomes quite repetitive after a while. Combats are slow and tend to drag a little, and I'm not especially fond of chaining again and again the same battle in order to possibly drop the items I want to meld with others.

I'll finish my second playground, unlock
the good ending
, and I probably won't play it again.

... Aaaand I'll probably be playing Vagrant Story after that.

Grisby

Finished! I thought there'd be another chapter or something. And that end battle was complete cake compared to the prior boss, of which I had too do over like, 3 times.

That ending sucks though for a cliffhanger. I'm gonna save my new game plus for later as I'm going through Oddworld on Vita right now.

I haven't played a JRPG in a long time (only started a few hours on Last Story before dropping out) and I had a good time. The writing was decent and everything was nice artistically. Even though it relied on dice luck I had a good time with the battle system; it had just enough depth with the melding of equipment.

My bummers include everything being a bit too simple. The graphics and areas etc. It kind of toes that line though so it's not too bad. Kind of my same feelings with the length. I enjoyed the small bit sized taste Crimson offered but I kind of wanted it to go on for a bit longer.

Fun time though and a nice addition to my small eshop library. I do want some more time with the Chaser co!

Heh, I still haven't gotten past the
Zombie Dragon/Lich Lord/Lich
encounter at the Western Arcade. Amazing how they just drop it on you like that; I was expecting the dragon thanks to the footprints on the map, but fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Soulhouf

I'm right before the
Witch Kings
in NG+.
I think I did everything, except that treasure box sealed by a death trap. What do I need to do to open it?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
so this game actually good eh?
tvUF8.jpg

Really good.

Just bought this yesterday for my new 3DS XL/Mario Kart bundle (was from the $160 BBY sale but set aside for Christmas). Really enjoying it, though only just finished the early
Minotaur
. Having that Vagrant Story/FFXII vibe made it easy for the game to get my attention, but positive impressions at various sites sealed the deal. This, built-in Mario Kart 7, and RE Revelations has given the 3DS a pretty good start here.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it, was overall enjoyable

Is there a youtube or summary of the
alternate ending
? While it was fun and I wish it was a full game, I don't really have the motivation to play through it again

Just finished it, was overall enjoyable

Is there a youtube or summary of the
alternate ending
? While it was fun and I wish it was a full game, I don't really have the motivation to play through it again
NG+ is worth it though. Battles are tougher, new loot, new rooms.

Chapter 2 spoilers:

Been trying to get the drop for about 4 hours now. I always kill the archers first, but mages replace them only about half the time. I'm getting pretty close to saying forget it at this point. How long does it take most people to get the item?

Nohar

Chapter 2 spoilers:

Been trying to get the drop for about 4 hours now. I always kill the archers first, but mages replace them only about half the time. I'm getting pretty close to saying forget it at this point. How long does it take most people to get the item?

I had to re-do the battle 4 to 5 times each in NG and NG+. Though, 4 hours... Man :s
*sigh* Really bad game design.

beril

Bought the game last night because of this thread, but I'm still very unsure about it. I just can't get over the tabletop theme. It just feels stupid, immersion breaking and weird to look at. I guess it helped speed up production, but even then the graphics are really rough.

Narag

Bought the game last night because of this thread, but I'm still very unsure about it. I just can't get over the tabletop theme. It just feels stupid, immersion breaking and weird to look at. I guess it helped speed up production, but even then the graphics are really rough.

Thought it was quite novel and deliberate myself. I'd definitely understand where you're coming from better if the camera had been fixed above the table top rather than used accordingly though.

I think we were all pretty open about what the game is. It's certainly not for everyone, but it felt like such a breath of fresh air for me after all these Nu-RPGs - it also helps that I used to play tabletop back in the days I guess. Atmosphere here is transported via the writing and I think it does a great job at that. Imo it's also better to stick with the idea than to implement some half-baked animations (which would be all we would've gotten considering the obvious budget constraints).

Famassu

Damn you people for posting those youtube-links of the OST. Just bought the last copy in stock @ CDJapan. ;__; Oh well, it was only ~19,90€ after I applied all the points I got from buying the Kingdom Hearts OST Complete earlier in the Fall.

Edit: And I don't even have the game yet. :3

zoukka

Waiting for my 3DS to charge so I can update it and buy this... Excite!

Aso I never finished Vagrant Story... Maybe I should just guide that shit through however embarrassing it would be. It has one of the best atmospheres in a videogame ever.

Sora_N

Any tips? I feel like I'm struggling against every monster...

I'm on Chapter 2 (just started) and in Chapter 1
I killed both the Mino and Zombie Mino, and now I'm fighting a Zombie Mino and 2 Goblins,
felt like I was getting destroyed.

Any tips? I feel like I'm struggling against every monster...

I'm on Chapter 2 (just started) and in Chapter 1
I killed both the Mino and Zombie Mino, and now I'm fighting a Zombie Mino and 2 Goblins,
felt like I was getting destroyed.
Look into melding, skills and spells - remember the latter are influenced by your gear. Sometimes a 'weaker' weapon can be a better choice becausec of the abilities it allows. Buffing and debuffing enemies can be pretty crucial later on.

It is heavily imagination-driven, not even theatrical, much less cinematic. That is something that must be made peace with, I guess.

beril

It is heavily imagination-driven, not even theatrical, much less cinematic. That is something that must be made peace with, I guess.

I don't mind text heavy games and prefer NES/SNES rpgs to modern cinematic games. But the virtual boardgame figurines are a lot harder to relate to than even an 16x16 pixel NES-sprite. I don't want to pretend that I'm playing a tabletop rpg pretending to be a fantasy warrior. It just feels like there's an extra barrier between me and the game world. Maybe I'll get over it if I continue playing; the battlesystem seems decent and the story seems promising.

Yuterald

I don't mind text heavy games and prefer NES/SNES rpgs to modern cinematic games. But the virtual boardgame figurines are a lot harder to relate to than even an 16x16 pixel NES-sprite. I don't want to pretend that I'm playing a tabletop rpg pretending to be a fantasy warrior. It just feels like there's an extra barrier between me and the game world. Maybe I'll get over it if I continue playing; the battlesystem seems decent and the story seems promising.

Man, I don't know, I couldn't give a shits two less about table top RPGs or the origins of role playing/D&D and I fucking loved the game. Are you a fan of Matsuno games? Do you like stuff like Vagrant Story, Tactics Ogre, and Final Fantasy Tactics? I mean, the game is very well crafted and it reeks of class. The soundtrack is divine-tier too. Is the writing/story not capturing you either? The intro scene with Flint alone made me want to see the game through to the end, hah! I think there's enough "other stuff" there to make up for the presentation (or lack there of).

I was sold on this game when Matsuno said he wanted the game to be like playing the final dungeon/moment in an RPG. It's like cutting all the bullshit out and only experiencing the climax in a game. All the good parts, I guess you could say. I thought for a low budget, almost indie-like project, this game has more care and polish than most $60 "AAA" titles. Try and stick with it! =D

Question:

So is all that Chapter 2 hubbub in the Gerseym Waterway?

I'm getting my ass handed to me in a fight and it doesn't seem to correspond to all that I've looked up:

The last major event for me is getting the Seal of the Rahab. I pretty much explored every other location, and then I head to the Gerseym Waterway. People have mentioned archers and mages and skeleton farming for the obsidian daphne. What I see is a lich, a skeleton, and a skeleton archer. The archer goes down easy, but I'm having a ridiculous time taking down the lich and even the skeleton. Even buffs and healing eventually wear me down and I get wiped out. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if I should go elsewhere and grind items if possible.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

New Game + Chat:
What exactly triggers
the good ending? Is it just unlocking the chest in the Ancient Passage? I kept expecting there to be some kind of "Oh, here's a new key item to hold on to, but nope. The Ancient Passage chest just held some decent, non-unique equipment and nothing seemed to change in the final confrontation until after the final boss fight

The Witch Kings were pretty rough this time around.
Eventually I just had to let Lippi stay dead because he just couldn't survive the onslaught of Witch King C's magic and Witch King B's shots. It worked out for the best because Witch King B refocuses his attacks on Giauque if Lippi is dead, effectively making Frea invincible. Once those two were taken down, I revived him and took out Witch King A.

End game gear:
Giauque:
Falchion + 5, Tower Shield + 8, Iron Helm + 3, Segmentata + 3, Timeworn Shoes, Dragon Tears + 1
Lippi:
Wyrmhunter, Valiant Helm, Pirate's Coat + 1, Minotaur Tongue + 1, Dragon Stone
Frea:
Hail Rod + 1, Fairy Shield + 4, Oracle's Crown + 1, Fifiab'dou + 4, Soul of the Lich + 1, Crimson Shroud

I spent a lot of time trying to grind out some new stuff for Lippi down in the
Tower of Nolis Archives
, specifically more
Pirate Coats and Bows
, but the enemies just didn't want to give them up.

Top Bottom