• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crimson Shroud |OT| Matsuno fails saving throw, relegated to eShop release

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I'd give my left nut for Matsuno to make this into a full fledged title.

I get the feeling some of you were saying this was poorly received in Japan.. what was wrong with the initial release?

DrWong

I get the feeling some of you were saying this was poorly received in Japan.. what was wrong with the initial release?
The game was first released as part of a compilation (Guild 01), with 3 other games and compilations don't tend to be big sellers, in gaming or movies, or books. I think it sold around 30K / 40K, as a retail game. So yeah, in terms of sales it was "poorly" received in the sense of a very niche release. Critically, at least for CS, it was ok if I remember well. That said and knowing Guild 02 is in the work we must assume Level 5 is ok with the results.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
The game was first released as part of a compilation (Guild 01), with 3 other games and compilations don't tend to be big sellers, in gaming or movies, or books. I think it sold around 30K / 40K, as a retail game. So yeah, in terms of sales it was "poorly" received in the sense of a very niche release. Critically, at least for CS, it was ok if I remember well. That said and knowing Guild 02 is in the work we must assume Level 5 is ok with the results.

Guild 02 was announced days before Guild 01 was released so who knows whether 01 sold to their expectations. I do think that this is probably a project that they didn't mind losing some money over.

duckroll

There were many complains about various issues in the original retail release of Crimson Shroud which made players really annoyed. They fixed these issues and rebalanced the entire game in the eShop version. The original was never patched.

NervousXtian

There were many complains about various issues in the original retail release of Crimson Shroud which made players really annoyed. They fixed these issues and rebalanced the entire game in the eShop version. The original was never patched.

Gotcha, that sucks for people who bought the retail comp to get the inferior version.

Especially since looking at the full Guild 01 Package that CS is the only game I was interested in. Maybe they were having trouble patching the version in the compilation, because it was a compilation?

Busaiku

I don't understand elemental weaknesses.
Holy can the undead not be that weak to Holy/Healing.

This has changed my world view.

Chapter 4. Soo good yet difficult spike IMHO. I am against 3
3 dopplelangers
Tips?

They focus their attacks on the character they're cloned off of, so that means you can probably ignore Witch King A because Giauque probably has the HP and Def to handle it. Witch King B is gonna tear Lippi a new one, so take him out first. Witch King C, IIRC, basically just buffs the others with Haste, so make sure one of your characters has Dispel to take care of that.

Anyway, the order I went was Not!Lippi, then Not!Frea, and finally Not!Giauque - it's you definitely need to focus on Not!Lippi first.

jackal27

Banned
After finishing this and being well into New Game +, I'm just gonna throw it out there that Crimson Shroud may be my favorite 3DS game yet.

luca1980

Banned
You can get a different ending in New Game +, and there are new locations to explore. Like, an entire chapter's worth of places to find and battles to fight.
Besides alternate ending does it have more plot or not?
I finished few minutes ago, it was really good yet I already saw a difficulty increase on new game plus and in 2 days I have to give back the 3ds....

duckroll

Besides alternate ending does it have more plot or not?
I finished few minutes ago, it was really good yet I already saw a difficulty increase on new game plus and in 2 days I have to give back the 3ds....

Depends on what you mean by plot. There are new rooms and new events in these rooms. But like most of the entire game, it's more about building up the setting, the location, and the history of the world, rather than narrative differences. The same rooms will have the same story events, but there's just more stuff in NG+.

jackal27

Banned
Last night I had a dream that Sqeenix revealed FF12-2 with Matsuno directing and game looked ALOT like Crimson Shroud, but the characters weren't just figurines. It also had traditional RPG combat with beautiful animation and the whole world felt like a mix between FF9 and Xenoblade... Why isn't this a real thing?

In my dream try also revealed that they were turning the Chrystal Chronciles series into the Mana series, which actually makes sense.

luca1980

Banned
Depends on what you mean by plot. There are new rooms and new events in these rooms. But like most of the entire game, it's more about building up the setting, the location, and the history of the world, rather than narrative differences. The same rooms will have the same story events, but there's just more stuff in NG+.
By plot I mean plot of the main history of the game. Not just event inside these rooms like a new battles, I mean proper story sequences with new details about the main quest
I don't know of I am clear in my explanation.

NervousXtian

This game is so grind friendly for me it's scary.. it's got that great loot element so many RPG's lack these days with the "meld" process... but you need an ingredient to meld.. so then I grind to get that.. which should be bad.. but I'm enjoying it.

If I have one major annoyance with the interface it's that when you meld your items or change equipment it changes the order of your skills/magic so I'm constantly having to go reconfigure them after each time I mess with equipment as the new skills I want pop to the bottom of the menu.

Guild 02 was announced days before Guild 01 was released so who knows whether 01 sold to their expectations. I do think that this is probably a project that they didn't mind losing some money over.

Actually, I do think that Guild 01 was planned in such a way to being released on eShop eventually. Given the other two games, I don't think Level-5 spent too much on the project. Aero Porter seems like developed in 5 minutes.

By plot I mean plot of the main history of the game. Not just event inside these rooms like a new battles, I mean proper story sequences with new details about the main quest
I don't know of I am clear in my explanation.

It's hard to explain without spoilers, but I'd say no, it doesn't. There's something like a sidequest happening, but it doesn't really expand on the game's main story (although it does give more details on the castle itself).

Alias Greed

Neo Member
Is there a trick to make the skeletal mages spawn or do you simply turn on and off the 3ds in the second playthough ? Having to wait for this drop is ridiculous.

NervousXtian

Is there a trick to make the skeletal mages spawn or do you simply turn on and off the 3ds in the second playthough ? Having to wait for this drop is ridiculous.

Kill the archers 1st will usually spawn the mages, but it can be somewhat random but more times than not that works.. but the drop? Yeah.. good luck... maybe 1st time.. maybe 10th

hunnies28

Kill the archers 1st will usually spawn the mages, but it can be somewhat random but more times than not that works.. but the drop? Yeah.. good luck... maybe 1st time.. maybe 10th
While this method worked for me... it took me like an hour to get the drop.

jackal27

Banned
It's seeming more and more like the reason I never had trouble with drops is because I always kill the archers first, haha.

luca1980

Banned
1 day of ng+ tomorrow and I will have to leave it for a while (borrowed 3ds). So sad. I could see me playing this gem twice or more (I played vs 4 times!!!). Can one send a save from a 3ds to another one? I could consider buying a used 3ds in that case!!!

Anyway I loved the lore and first ending. Matsuno didn't lose his touch indeed

NervousXtian

I haven't wanted a game to end so much like I didn't want this to end... I still got NG+ to explore but all those rooms on the map that you couldn't enter make me sad.

Such a gem of a game, but hopefully Matsuno can expand upon what he made here.. the world had that gritty feel of Vagrant Story that I miss in RPG's today.

jackal27

Banned
I haven't wanted a game to end so much like I didn't want this to end... I still got NG+ to explore but all those rooms on the map that you couldn't enter make me sad.

Such a gem of a game, but hopefully Matsuno can expand upon what he made here.. the world had that gritty feel of Vagrant Story that I miss in RPG's today.

I felt the exact same way, haha. I really hope that Matsuno's next project is an RPG or tactical RPG.

Beat the game today. Just, fantastic. Debating diving right back in for NG+ next, or finally tackling one of many Matsuno games that have been shaming up my backlog for years now.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Beat the game today. Just, fantastic. Debating diving right back in for NG+ next, or finally tackling one of many Matsuno games that have been shaming up my backlog for years now.

Tactics Ogre is waiting eagerly for me to finish CS. Now that I've got past those silly mages, it shouldn't be long.

Oxx

I started the game and ended-up spending 80 minutes with it.

Definitely an interesting experiment.

jackal27

Banned
What Matsuno game should I dive into next?

I've been toying with Final Fantasy XII over the last couple of months (not really a Matsuno game though). When I was a kid I got REALLY into Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis. It was the first tactical turn-based RPG I'd ever played and I loved it. I never beat it though. I'm not certain if Matsuno even worked on that one. I also really liked Final Fantasy Tactics Advance back in the day too.

I've barely touched Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre: LUCT, or Vagrant Story, even though I own all three.

What Matsuno game should I dive into next?

I've been toying with Final Fantasy XII over the last couple of months (not really a Matsuno game though). When I was a kid I got REALLY into Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis. It was the first tactical turn-based RPG I'd ever played and I loved it. I never beat it though. I'm not certain if Matsuno even worked on that one. I also really liked Final Fantasy Tactics Advance back in the day too.

I've barely touched Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre: LUCT, or Vagrant Story, even though I own all three.

I say Vagrant Story.

Also, your dream was cool. I loved Final Fantasy XII.

jackal27

Banned
What's wrong with you? Lol.

When I was a kid I found FF Tactics too difficult even though my friends were dropping upwards of 400 hours on it, hahaha. Vagrant Story just felt weird to me back then as well and I didn't like the combat. I'm sure I could appreciate more now that I'm older. I also never realized it was a classic since I bought it for like $10 in a bargain bin back in the day. I've always meant to play LUCT, but things just kept getting in the way.

duckroll

When I was a kid I found FF Tactics too difficult even though my friends were dropping upwards of 400 hours on it, hahaha. Vagrant Story just felt weird to me back then as well and I didn't like the combat. I'm sure I could appreciate more now that I'm older. I also never realized it was a classic since I bought it for like $10 in a bargain bin back in the day. I've always meant to play LUCT, but things just kept getting in the way.

Sounds like you have a lot of awesome gaming ahead of you!

About Knight of Lodis though, Matsuno had nothing to do with it, but the team at Quest that made the game where eventually folded into S-E as well, and they developed the FFTA games. They also worked on FFXII and TO LUCT.

jackal27

Banned
Sounds like you have a lot of awesome gaming ahead of you!

About Knight of Lodis though, Matsuno had nothing to do with it, but the team at Quest that made the game where eventually folded into S-E as well, and they developed the FFTA games. They also worked on FFXII and TO LUCT.

Ah, never realized that. I really loved KoL. I need to pick that game up again and finish it. I don't know (or really care) how most think it holds up or even how much people like it. I always adored that game. I bought it on a whim with my brothers at Toys R' Us in jr. high.

Ahhhh too many games to play.

Anyway, back to Crimson Shroud. I'm really bummed to learn that new dialogue from New Game ++ got removed... Why wouldn't they just translate that?

duckroll

I don't like KoL at all, but it's not a case of it not holding up, I never liked the game to begin with. The battles are really slow, and there are a lot of interface and pacing issues I didn't enjoy. I didn't like FFTA either, but I'm told the sequel was greatly improved. I never tried it though.

Anyway, back to Crimson Shroud. I'm really bummed to learn that new dialogue from New Game ++ got removed... Why wouldn't they just translate that?

Probably because there's a ton of it, so they'd basically be retranslating the entire game again except this time they'd have to make it funny, and that takes a ton of work.

Hey peeps. Quick question. Minotaurs are weak to
light attribute
attacks right? On NG+ and getting my ass kicked by one of the encounters.

Gambit

Maybe someone here could help me.

Haven't played since Christmas and forgot where I need to go next. I am in Chapter 3
and I think Frea mentioned I have to go to where the road split or a fork in the road or so. I am in (and around) the room where the Lich respawns.
Where do I go next?

Back to the previous floor? I thought I had already checked the rooms on the current floor.

Soulhouf

Hey peeps. Quick question. Minotaurs are weak to
light attribute
attacks right? On NG+ and getting my ass kicked by one of the encounters.

I don't know if they are weak to the light attribute but for sure if you use a weapon with the highest minotaur attribute, it will be effective.

Sora_N

I don't know if they are weak to the light attribute but for sure if you use a weapon with the highest minotaur attribute, it will be effective.

How do you do that? Sorry some of the mechanics are so confusing. I barely beat the encounter at the beginning of Act 2. I had to pop so many Potions and 1 MP potion just to finish it.

Top Bottom