• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

If multi is the main reason for the 1.4 patch then why not make the multi a seperate exe or something, and why remove the vars now instead of release, you know like smart people to stop cheating in the first place.

Crytek make some lovely looking games but their management is fawked.

Detox said:
Didn't the main Free Radical guys leave anyway? Every preview or interview I read about a free radical game always mentioned David Doak, he left Free Radical and now makes a game called Gangsta Zombies on Facebook lol.
:(

doak.jpg

coopolon

This game is teaching me just how much I hate it when games keep it so that you look like you're in control of your character, but you're not. I just spent the last 15 minutes basically being unable to do anything but it looked I should have been in complete control.
Talking about the part after they catch you in the chair until you talk to Hargreave

coopolon said:
This game is teaching me just how much I hate it when games keep it so that you look like you're in control of your character, but you're not. I just spent the last 15 minutes basically being unable to do anything but it looked I should have been in complete control.
Talking about the part after they catch you in the chair until you talk to Hargreave
Yeah there is too much of that stuff for my tastes too.

Completed my normal playthough over the weekend, decided to take a stab at Supersoldier. With the right abilities selected, it's awesome how much of this game you can simply stealth by and really the only "fights" you get into are the somewhat frustrating Pinger battles and some stuff toward the end. Great game though, even ignoring the MP completely.

RooMHM

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
First map pack coming May 17th, four new maps.
Park Avenue and Shipyard look pretty good.
Edit: 18th, not sure how kotaku got that wrong.

Wow, 4 "new" maps directly from the campaign? Stay classy, Crytek.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
RooMHM said:
Wow, 4 "new" maps directly from the campaign? Stay classy, Crytek.
Copy SP map
Remove script triggers
Change lighting
Profit!

AFAIK some of these maps were even in the beta leak. Give some developers an inch and they'll take a mile. :p

Dacon

Banned
I miss picking ammo up manually and the animations that went with it :/

The aliens gave me a bit of hell before I started using the sniper rifle with a silencer and reflex sight to headshot them all while stealthing. I just wish I'd have figured out that combo sooner.

Btw guys Nanosuit Ninja has updated with 3 more Crysis 2 videos. Go check them out.

RooMHM

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Almost every map in the MP was lifted from the campaign in some form, with the exception of the Parking Lot and Pier 17, maybe a few more.

Yes and almost every FPS does the same. Now, is this good or okay to accept? I say no. They can go to hell.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RooMHM said:
Yes and almost every FPS does the same. Now, is this good or okay to accept? I say no. They can go to hell.
No, a lot of games use assets from singleplayer in multiplayer maps which is understandable. These are straight up parts of singleplayer levels just ripped out and it's obvious even in the trailer.

RooMHM

Stallion Free said:
No, a lot of games use assets from singleplayer in multiplayer maps which is understandable. These are straight up parts of singleplayer levels just ripped out and it's obvious even in the trailer.

That's what I mean, I think it's not acceptable when there are only mp maps out of SP and even less when they come out in DLC.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
RooMHM said:
That's what I mean, I think it's not acceptable when there are only mp maps out of SP and even less when they come out in DLC.
It's made even more sad because they have such a powerful engine and I would love to see new content/areas in it.

samdavis

Neo Member
Does anyone know what Gould was so up in arms about right after Hargreaves
reveals himself to have been in a vegetative state
? Gould was yelling at him for doing something but I was so ready for the game to end (it doesn't) that I wasn't even paying attention to what he was saying.

That's the only part of this "story" that I was just like "what is going on here?" about. A lot of the "explanations" that they gave were pretty nonsensical but this was the only one where I really didn't get what the big reveal was.

nomoment

Considering CryTek's general lack of commitment releasing patches to fix core game functions like matchmaking, I'll be passing on the map pack. What's the point of wasting money on a map pack when online MP is deeply flawed?

coopolon

samdavis said:
Does anyone know what Gould was so up in arms about right after Hargreaves
reveals himself to have been in a vegetative state
? Gould was yelling at him for doing something but I was so ready for the game to end (it doesn't) that I wasn't even paying attention to what he was saying.

That's the only part of this "story" that I was just like "what is going on here?" about. A lot of the "explanations" that they gave were pretty nonsensical but this was the only one where I really didn't get what the big reveal was.

Hargreaves knew for awhile that the Ceph were underneath NYC and didn't warn anyone so that they could prepare for them.

I beat the game tonight. It was a lot of fun, it ended a lot stronger than it started. At first I was thinking tihs game was much worse than the first game, but by the end I'm not sure which one I would pick as my favorite.

The game is freaking gorgeous. Even just on high settings it looked amazing at 1200p. I also ended up liking the new suit better than the original, but I didn't pursue the first suit in all its complexity (I primarily used stealth, just like in the second game where it was a lot easier to use.)

The Aliens are still pretty sucky enemies, but they are leagues better than they were in Crysis 1. I was pretty disappointed by the pingers though. After being pretty creative with alien designs in the first game, in the second they go about as generic as possible, worst of all the pingers who are just the War of Worlds again.

The suit modules was pretty stupid I think though. I like the idea of upgrading your suits, but the actual upgrades seemed pretty insignificant to me. Each group basically had one good upgrade. At first I really disliked having to run to get the catalyst before it disappeared, but I've started to appreciate that it makes me have to think about something else when planning my attacks.

I look forward to a new game + spersoldier playthrough.

samdavis

Neo Member
^ I played on the 360 and it's pretty close to being the nicest looking game I've ever played on the console. There were moments where I wouldn't even advance forward in the game because I just wanted to stop and stare at the sheer enormity of everything. It's the first time that I can remember an FPS game displaying such verticality in a game and while the specific sections weren't massive, they all gave the feeling of being in another HUGE part of a HUGE city (a lot of blurring though in some spots though).

The pace of the game flew along in the early levels and had a really cool blockbuster quality to it, but a few of the levels near the end of the 2nd and beginning of the 3rd act, for all the action, still got a bit boring and near the end I just kind of wanted the game to be over. There was definitely a point after Hargreaves first starts talking to you that I didn't care a lick about what was going on and was just going from objective to objective killing things.

I had high hopes for the story considering Richard K. Morgan helped write it but it was pretty crappy. The good news is that in the end it didn't really matter because for the most part it's the most massive and cinematic videogame I've played since Uncharted and MGS4, and it's definitely the most cinematic and polished FPS single-player campaign that I've ever played.

Most of the time that I was playing I was in a party chat with my buddies and I must've said on at least 10 different occasions that Crytek should be in charge of producing any massive, action-adventure, FPS from here on out (a bit of an exaggeration but they seriously know what they're doing).

Smokey

Just got Crysis 2 as my first game to try on my new PC. I'm running it at 1080p on Extreme settings with V-sync on. FRAPS shows me at 60fps the majority of the time. What settings fall under this "Extreme" tab? Obviously I know my monitor resolution, but I find it weird that they just lump the settings all under tabs instead of telling you what they are.

Any suggested configs?

Hmm... You're pretty much maxing out the game. I suggest the Extreme config lol. Be glad you can run at it at 60fps and have no need to worry about changing some parameters.

RedSwirl

Okay guys. This is $42 on D2D. What do you say?

I really liked the first Crysis a lot and thought it was worth $50. How good is Crysis 2 really compared to the first 2/3 of the original game and Warhead? Mind you I probably won't ever give a damn about the multiplayer (despite it being made by Free Radical).

What are the best reviews for C2?

-SD-

Banned
RedSwirl said:
How good is Crysis 2 really compared to the first 2/3 of the original game
Let's say that Crysis is a 10 and Crysis 2 is a 5.

I didn't like C2 so much. A major disappointment.

raphier

Banned
-SD- said:

Nah, you need to keep it relative. IF C1 is a 5 game to you, then C2 is most likely a 9.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
-SD- said:

I'm going to agree, the first half of crysis 1 was about twice as fun as the 2nd imo.

jhferry said:
Hey, playing through on Super Soldier. Can you not cloak and shield at the same time on SS?

You could do both?!?!

Oh wait I only play on Superhuman lol. For some reason I never thought you could do two powers at once...

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Is there a way to turn off the effect where light sources create... like, stretched out lens artifacts or something? It makes the game look like a sequel to Jericho.

The graphics are gorgeous outside of the untoward lighting effects that make the whole thing look cheap, like the AvP remake or some other B-game trying too hard to look cool.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Karram said:
Was just about to say that. I expect some high quality levels from the community.
There was some good shit for Crysis 1. The editor lead to some incredible environments which is usually one of the lacking things in mods

Well, think I finally ran into the dreaded Nano Catalyst bug. I was attempting the Times Square Pinger battle (I think it was Times Square). I look at my Nano upgrades by chance, and it was set to zero. It could have been a coincidence, though, and I collected it again just fine.

Another thing, stupid lack of quicksaves is really starting to hurt. I've tried to kill this Pinger on Superhuman, then screw up minutes in by forgetting to uncloak after firing a rocket, draining my energy and getting shot by everything in the scene. My fault, but still...

Also, I still can't seem to play the multiplayer. Every time I log in, I get the red screen showing my Limited Edition items or whatever, then the server list is empty. It has been like this since launch day :/

I know I'm apparently not missing out on much with the multi, but...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jhferry said:
Hey, playing through on Super Soldier. Can you not cloak and shield at the same time on SS?
You could never do both at the same time. You can only layer cloak/armor with speed and strength.

I don't know why you'd ever need both at the same time, anyway. You can just switch to armor when you're about to shoot, and switch back to cloak with Q and E.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
So after finishing the campaign I went on holiday and didn't play the MP as much as I'd liked, then gears beta came.

How are things MP wise? Still good? Kicking ass? Or a bit dull?

Just from the outside doesn't feel like it's taken off in anyway that threatens the big boys. COD still king I guess.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
kaizoku said:
So after finishing the campaign I went on holiday and didn't play the MP as much as I'd liked, then gears beta came.

How are things MP wise? Still good? Kicking ass? Or a bit dull?

Just from the outside doesn't feel like it's taken off in anyway that threatens the big boys. COD still king I guess.

It's a fun diversion, but it's nothing to write home about. It does little to define itself as anything besides an obligatory online mode to justify the game's pricepoint.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Kinda silly that they don't give you any powers to begin with in the MP. That's where all the fun in the original's MP came from. imo, Wars' Instant Action mode is better than what we have here, even if it is a lot less polished.

Unlockables can be such a bitch.

dLMN8R

I finally got around to playing this after scoring it for $30 during an Amazon sale, and I was wondering if someone could link to some good AA method comparisons, maybe comparisons of other graphical effects too? I know there were a ton in this thread, but this thread is far too huge to find them.

I saw the configuration listed in the OP of this thread, but I'm not exactly sure if it's the best thing to use, or what all of the configuration properties do.

I'm on a 6850 1GB, FWIW, with a Q9550. The normal Extreme settings look great, but the AA is a bit vaseline-ish.

Klocker

really starting to dig this MP after trading it in and picking it up again (Brink lag rage)

Graphics are soooo good, and now that I'm learning that it's not CoD it is very fun. also the speed at which you motivate around the environment is incredible, especially considering the graphical quality. Also the jumping, speed, sliding and climbing give Brink's SMART a real run for its money. In fact I like it better since it's not a slider/shooting fest.

New maps hit tomorrow I believe. Come on jump back in. :)

Red

Unregistered007 said:
So is this a must play game of 2011 ?
Opinions differ. I say: definitely not. Wait for a price drop. <$20 and it may be worth it.

Others will disagree. Have you played the first?

Crunched said:
Opinions differ. I say: definitely not. Wait for a price drop. <$20 and it may be worth it.

Others will disagree. Have you played the first?

No I only have consoles (PS360) and I feel like giving some love to PS3 after the outage.

I am currently replaying God of War III (Best Graphics HANDS DOWN).

Top Bottom