• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CS:Source Beta is OPEN

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
My update is at 66%

Was screaming along until it hit 40% and slowed since, but I should still be playing in 5-10 mins time :D

Kon Tiki

Banned
waitbegins.jpg

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
If the damn thing would finish loading. Every few minutes it stops and I have to reload Steam to get it moving again.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
I'd guess that's Society playing the beta and having placed a custom Nintendo spraypaint on the wall to mark his "turf".

I keep meaning to sort a spray logo out myself.

*adds to his 'to do' list*

epmode

i don't know how long these'll last, but they're screenshots of the half-life 2 stress test. comes with the cs: source beta.

(they're not my shots)

test_hardware0000.jpg

test_hardware0001.jpg

test_hardware0002.jpg

test_hardware0004.jpg

AeroGod

I downloaded but it keeps crashing whenever i try to open it. Do i have to have the original CS to play this. I dont have that installed on this computer?

B'z-chan

Banned
Goes to download steam, you dont need to have anything else other than Counterstrike correct? or what? Details would be nice.

Andy787

Banned
Littleberu said:
Wow. Counter Strike Source is the same exact thing as Counter Strike. How exciting. Oh, but you can shoot barrel.
You mean it is the best first person shooter of all time? Why, yes. That is correct.

IJoel

Littleberu said:
Wow. Counter Strike Source is the same exact thing as Counter Strike. How exciting. Oh, but you can shoot barrel.

You know... it's called CS: Source for a reason.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Littleberu said:
Yeah I know, but people are only excited because of "Source", and not because of Counter Strike.

Lets see:

Improved Models & more natural animation? - Check.
Improved Flashbang & Smoke Grenades? - Check
Improved Hitboxes and hit detection? - Check
Improved Graphics? - Check
Free with HL2? - Check
Littleberu is a troll? - Check

Freeburn said:
Lets see:

Improved Models & more natural animation? - Check.
Improved Flashbang & Smoke Grenades? - Check
Improved Hitboxes and hit detection? - Check
Improved Graphics? - Check
Free with HL2? - Check
Littleberu is a troll? - Check

Hey, awesome. Tonight I'm trolling CS and Halo 2. That's great. Having a conflicting opinion IS actually considered trolling on these boards! AWESOME.

Oh BTW, I'm gonna post more opinions, I mean TROLLING.

No gameplay improvement ? CHECK
Beta testing a game already released like, 4 years ago? CHECK
Putting physics in as a gimmick to add on the feature list? CHECK
Creating hype for Half Life 2 release? CHECK

That's why I don't like Counter Strike Source. I'll still probably play the game for 1-2 hours, and then remember why I hated Counter Strike so much... all those leet over protective pricks and hackers that keep populating the servers. All those guys who thinks Counter Strike is the best FPS ever, but really it's the only one they played, and because they're good at it, they think it's the best. That's why. The people.

Burger

How can bitches complain that they are essentially playing something for fucking free, that is a major graphical update to the biggest online game ever.

Fuckers should be thanking Valve, not slagging them off.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Wario64 said:
Society, what's your CPU specs?
Amd 2400+
512 MB 2100
ATi 9600xt

lol I dont know how to do custom settings with Steam. I just checked an i had 8af 2xaa(t3) on. Let me run that again.

Society said:
Amd 2400+
512 MB 2100
ATi 9600xt

lol I dont know how to do custom settings with Steam. I just checked an i had 8af 2xaa(t3) on. Let me run that again.

WTF. I have a P4 1.5GHz, 512 Mb, Radeon 8500 LE 64 mo, and in 640X480, all high, I got 33.2 FPS. :p

Kon Tiki

Banned
Sorry, I stand corrected.

It was 6aa 16af.

WTF. I just installed Source, why did it set it so high? My ati drivers appl preference too,

:mad:

Running again now.

IJoel

Source Stress Test Results:

Athlon64 3200+/1GB RAM/9600XT

1024x768@High, no AF, no AA => 60 fps average

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Littleberu said:
Hey, awesome. Tonight I'm trolling CS and Halo 2. That's great. Having a conflicting opinion IS actually considered trolling on these boards! AWESOME.

Oh BTW, I'm gonna post more opinions, I mean TROLLING.

No gameplay improvement ? CHECK
Beta testing a game already released like, 4 years ago? CHECK
Putting physics in as a gimmick to add on the feature list? CHECK
Creating hype for Half Life 2 release? CHECK

That's why I don't like Counter Strike Source. I'll still probably play the game for 1-2 hours, and then remember why I hated Counter Strike so much... all those leet over protective pricks and hackers that keep populating the servers. All those guys who thinks Counter Strike is the best FPS ever, but really it's the only one they played, and because they're good at it, they think it's the best. That's why. The people.

well, here i'll counterpoint you.

The game HAS changed.

Smoke grenades are now extremely useful.
Flashbangs don't last as long, but you can't hear people for a couple seconds.
Grenades going off near you also deafen you.
Hitboxes are much more accurate.
Awpers can't autosnipe any more.
using the command "stopsound" is now a cheat.
You can hear the pins of grenades about to be thrown hit the ground allowing some time to move.
Jumping now makes noise.
Objects will make noise if accidently run into.
There won't be bunny hoppers.
When you fall from a height that gives you damage, it stops you completely now.
You can now take grenades off dead bodies.

If these things don't change gameplay mechanics... then I don't know what to say. Honestly... I'll have to be taking a whole lot more into account now then before

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Athlon 2500+ @ 2Ghz
1 Gb RAM
Sapphire Fireblade 9600xt (128Mb)
All details high except Reflections set to "world only"
No AA, Trilinear filtering.

62 fps average. (average over 5 runs)

:D

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
While the physic of barrels, cans, tires etc has no real gameplay benefit I must say that the ragdoll effects on dead bodies is great!

A room of dead bodies now looks a lot more realistic overall, thats me sat slumped dead in the corner :p

css.jpg

The guy with his legs up the wall was blown into that position by a grenade, how demeaning a death :p

Screaming_Gremlin

Took me a while to actually get on a server and not have the program freeze or crash, but it was awesome when I finally did. I was on a 64 player server, and while it lagged the first round, iit smoothed out by the next.

Screaming_Gremlin

Celicar said:
You have to pay to play online?

No, online is free, although you have to own either Condition Zero or some ATI voucher.

SKluck said:
32v32 on dust? Fuck the what?

Yep. When I was on earlier there were about five 64 player servers, a 50 person server, and an hell of a lot of 40 person servers. It was extremely hectic (which I like, although I know a lot of people don't).

Top Bottom