• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cube World |OT| Who ever said the world was a sphere?

Dragoshi1

Update server down? Aw :(

And for those saying things about their GPU heating up, I have a AMD card, and I don't think I've noticed it heating up, and my monitor is locked at 75.

So I should be fine? Or somehow see if there's something in Catalyst to limit the FPS somehow?

I was able to purchase.. I think in the short term this game needs a balance patch that fixes the damage dealt/taken and EXP earned. Although looking at the devs' Twitter, it seems like they'll be busy with customer support for the next few weeks and won't have time for development.

I wonder what the sales numbers are.. I bet they became millionaires overnight?

Kard8p3

yLZU3mc.jpg

huge-mistake0yuz7.gif

elyetis

I was able to purchase.. I think in the short term this game needs a balance patch that fixes the damage dealt/taken and EXP earned.
Except for Mage being OP as **** ( player and npc ) damage and xp seems fine to me.

Thought I don't know much about the multiplayer balance.

eorl

Banned
Seems like the game is incredibly unbalanced when it comes to the enemies but it's alpha so i don't expect a fully fleshed out balanced game.

My problem when i first started was there was no direction, no tutorial. It just threw me in without any information on how to do anything and that just seems lazy to me even if it's in alpha. The creator should of at least including some tips at the start like hey click X to bring up this tool tip bar that explains crafting etc. and if there is one the guy/gal did a poor job of telling me where it is.

I only put about 4 hours into the game but i enjoyed it and will continue to play.
I agree that a tutorial would be handy, but again, this is a bare-bones alpha so its to be expected. Heck, some of the alpha games I've previously played have been in worse condition than this. That isn't to say that Wollay should ignore all criticism, because this is what an alpha is for and critiquing is the best tool to learning.

If you check out the main website for Cube World, you'll find that he is wanting to implement a story into the game that offers a flow of progress, and I presume the cities will become more interesting over time with the addition of new "things" to do. For now I'm currently happy with what the alpha is offering, but I can't wait to see what Wollay has planned. With how the mechanics are implemented, a number of the damage and XP changes could be made so damn easily, I find he has actually done really well in how he programmed everything.

Edit: Also for those still having trouble with not knowing how to "work" the game, hit F1 and also check the FAQ on the front page for a quick list on what to do.

Sarcasm

I agree that a tutorial would be handy, but again, this is a bare-bones alpha so its to be expected. Heck, some of the alpha games I've previously played have been in worse condition than this. That isn't to say that Wollay should ignore all criticism, because this is what an alpha is for and critiquing is the best tool to learning.

If you check out the main website for Cube World, you'll find that he is wanting to implement a story into the game that offers a flow of progress, and I presume the cities will become more interesting over time with the addition of new "things" to do. For now I'm currently happy with what the alpha is offering, but I can't wait to see what Wollay has planned. With how the mechanics are implemented, a number of the damage and XP changes could be made so damn easily, I find he has actually done really well in how he programmed everything.

Edit: Also for those still having trouble with not knowing how to "work" the game, hit F1 and also check the FAQ on the front page for a quick list on what to do.

For a few hours last night..too many people site was down.

Also site is back but yet CAN'T buy the game =(

Ultrabum

I got to play for a few hours today. I am currently lvl 7 rouge, its really fun! Some of the balance is a little wonky, and I'm not really sure how to fight mages, they always seem way harder than their similar difficulty level counterparts.

Fighting the big lizard / turtle bosses is really fun!

I can't wait to see what they do with this game.

elyetis

I actually find quite refreshing the fact that the game isn't hand holding you, or making you lvl10 after 1 hour of play time. Kind of make me think of final fantasy 11.

Finally died, troll boss on top of a mountain. Guess I need to get more abilities. I went for pet skills early on so I only have 1 extra ability at a low level.

Amneisac

I have a mutiplayer server running, just testing, but it won't let anyone do anything - no looting, opening doors, etc. Any ideas?

ZenaxPure

What's the combat in this like anyway? I love everything I see about the game, but, then in the OT it compares the combat to Skyrim and Minecraft and I instantly lost all hype the rest of the post was building up. I like Minecraft/Skyrim but the combat in both games is crap, I play/ed them solely for a big huge world to explore and various systems to interact with (mining, crafting, etc. in Minecraft).

What exactly do you do in this game anyway besides fight dudes, and, is the fighting actually fun?

Ultrabum

What's the combat in this like anyway? I love everything I see about the game, but, then in the OT it compares the combat to Skyrim and Minecraft and I instantly lost all hype the rest of the post was building up. I like Minecraft/Skyrim but the combat in both games is crap, I play/ed them solely for a big huge world to explore and various systems to interact with (mining, crafting, etc. in Minecraft).

What exactly do you do in this game anyway besides fight dudes, and, is the fighting actually fun?

Well, the combat is pretty basic. But everything (or most things) can be dodged by running or using a dodge button. Some enemies have a few attacks, and some charge up like attacks.

The classes all play different, the rouge builds up mp by attacking and then you can expend the mp for a more powerful attack. It's important to use this when the enemy is not blocking!

On the downside, there appears to only be 4 or so skills for each class.

Dragoshi1

I downloaded the updated client from the "my games", but when clicking play, I get taken to the main menu, but than it crashes...

ZenaxPure

The classes all play different, the rouge builds up mp by attacking and then you can expend the mp for a more powerful attack. It's important to use this when the enemy is not blocking! .

Well that alone sounds more interesting than the combat in Skyrim and Minecraft combined, so, that makes me feel a bit better. I will probably check this game out in the future when it's more... stable I guess.

elyetis

Mostly fight, thought I find exploring is a big part of the game too since it's help you gather ressources for craft, and you might find a random boss worth farming ( my ranger just killed for the sixth time a sheep boss to get some fire spirit +5 ( used to upgrade weapon )).

As ranger ( didn't play other classes much ) I really like the fights in the game, evasive roll are more than needed to survive most Boss fight and groupe of ennemies, but also well timed knock out ( with charged arrow at distance, or the kick at melee ) and the jump I just unlocked is also a life changer.

It's still pretty basic thought, at the moment most boss seems to have only few special move variety, and classes only have like 4 skill ( thought left/right clic vary a little depending of the kind of weapon you use too ). But I'm pretty confident it well get better.

ZenaxPure

Mostly fight, thought I find exploring is a big part of the game too since it's help you gather ressources for craft, and you might find a random boss worth farming ( my ranger just killed for the sixth time a sheep boss to get some fire spirit +5 ( used to upgrade weapon )).

Ok yeah, this certainly sounds pretty cool. So it has meaningful exploration and somewhat interesting combat. I am totally on board, at some point.

Ok yeah, this certainly sounds pretty cool. So it has meaningful exploration and somewhat interesting combat. I am totally on board, at some point.

Exploration is pretty much crucial unless you enjoy grinding the same enemies over and over again. You'll stumble across dungeons and boss fights as you explore, and it's just a beautiful game to adventure in. Having a hang glider makes exploration 100x better though.

I see this game getting really big and I'm excited for content updates!

I finally got my confirmation email. *goes to buy the game* "The shop is currently disabled due to server maintenance. Please try again later."

Yeah. No. I give up.

ZenaxPure

I see this game getting really big and I'm excited for content updates!

Yeah, I have 1600 hours in Minecraft currently (not a lot compared to some people sure, but, respectable by any stretch of the imagination) and my favorite thing to do in the game has always been to go out exploring. The main reason to do that is to get supplies to build stuff, but, eventually you just sort of hit a point where you have more supplies than you know what to do with unless you are working on a really large project.

But that's half besides the point, my main thing here is in all those hours I've often wished I had a similar feeling game that had more interesting combat. This looks like it could scratch that itch.

This may be too out-there, but what if you could buy a plot of land and build a house or town or something? Like a sandbox plot, free to build what you please Minecraft-style. It would be enough to scratch the creativity itch.

notsol337

marked forever
I finally got my confirmation email. *goes to buy the game* "The shop is currently disabled due to server maintenance. Please try again later."

Yeah. No. I give up.

This is the boat I'm in. I've been trying for 4 days in the little time I get off work to be at home and play games to pick this up. I'm usually pretty patient, but man. This is absurdity.

For those who can't connect to their website or update their game, Wollay's site is getting DDoSed.

cool....now I get to wait another day or 2 to give them my monies.
I got my account activated so the battle is half won already!

Guess they weren't ready for this so I can be patient even though I dont like it

ZenaxPure

This may be too out-there, but what if you could buy a plot of land and build a house or town or something? Like a sandbox plot, free to build what you please Minecraft-style. It would be enough to scratch the creativity itch.

I wouldn't be opposed, but, I already have Minecraft for when I want to create things. I've mostly just always wanted a game with interesting combat/character progression with similar trappings to Minecraft (Randomly generated worlds, cube aesthetic, random dungeons, etc) so this looks exactly like what I've wanted, eerily so almost.

For those who can't connect to their website or update their game, Wollay's site is getting DDoSed.

It's shit like this that really gives the net a bad name.

Sigh... They should just put it on steam.

Whilst I love steam and would love to see this game on steam I do appreciate that it is now a damn sight harder for indie devs to get access to the service now with this shitty "greenlight" crap. You can bet your life if they had gone the steam route you would still be waiting and saying "why did they use steam why not release it on their website".

On another note how the hell do you use hang gliders ? I bought one from the shop put it in the "special" slot and I have no clue where to go from there.

I believe he is planning to do that in some future update.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Pet questions!

1) If I catch and use a new pet, does it release and de-level my old pet? I may want to grab a Dog and switch back to my Cat at some point.

2) Do various pets do anything different or is it entirely cosmetic (besides the ones you can ride)?

nataku

I believe he is planning to do that in some future update.

He's definitely planning housing, but it won't be a free creation system like Minecraft. From the video he showed before you'll be limited to pre-built pieces that you place together.

http://wollay.blogspot.com/2012/01/cube-world-architecture.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFRvp0g1NU0

EDIT: I just realized that the video is literally the images from the blog post put together to form a video, lol.

He's definitely planning housing, but it won't be a free creation system like Minecraft. From the video he showed before you'll be limited to pre-built pieces that you place together.

http://wollay.blogspot.com/2012/01/cube-world-architecture.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFRvp0g1NU0

EDIT: I just realized that the video is literally the images from the blog post put together to form a video, lol.

Wonderful! I like that a lot! :D

If anyone wants a facebook cover or something, here. Just snapped this.

g7UckJu.png

This is beautiful. How did you remove the HUD and character and such? Cropping?

eorl

Banned
Pet questions!

1) If I catch and use a new pet, does it release and de-level my old pet? I may want to grab a Dog and switch back to my Cat at some point.

2) Do various pets do anything different or is it entirely cosmetic (besides the ones you can ride)?
You can have as many pets as you want, but I believe you can not double up on the same pet type (i.e. can't have two turtles). Each pet does offer different abilities and tactics. Currently it seems bats and turtles are the best, with bats offering high damage and turtles able to stunlock enemies.

Top Bottom