• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cube World |OT| Who ever said the world was a sphere?

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Do you have to be a certain level to talk to a trainer? Can't figure out how to change my specialization.

if you haven't figured it out, you change by pressing "x", then click on whichever type you want. I think that's what you're talking about.

chiba

Is there an auto-run? This game really needs an auto-run. This is the kind of exploration feeling mmos used to give me before they all became theme parks. Loving it so far.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I've found 4 foods so far and have yet to run into the animals that go with them.

Ive been hanging around the starting town in my area for a while now as am still collecting resources to make myself more armor. Since am a ranger its a bit of a pain in the ass getting plant fiber for linen.

Great game though and once again hard to believe this is what they consider alpha.

I tried to play the game at 4K which the game doesn't support. However, the game didn't allow me to revert and starts at the resolution every time now. Can't find the ini containing resolution either. Any tips?

Is there a way to scale the UI as well? 3600x2025 works but the UI becomes tiny because it doesn't scale.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Not a lot to it at the moment. Doesn't have the charm of something like early alpha Minecraft, where you still had the mining and the creepers and the lego action to go autism on.

This is just a sub-sub-iOS level action RPG with procedurally generated environments. It's infinitely scalable, but not complex enough to warrant more than 30-60 minutes of time investment, so that's irrelevant.

I'd suggest looking into it again in 6-12 months when there's more going on.

eorl

Banned
Not a lot to it at the moment. Doesn't have the charm of something like early alpha Minecraft, where you still had the mining and the creepers and the lego action to go autism on.

This is just a sub-sub-iOS level action RPG with procedurally generated environments. It's infinitely scalable, but not complex enough to warrant more than 30-60 minutes of time investment, so that's irrelevant.

I do agree that Minecraft had this touch to it in alpha that kept you engrossed, but I have a feeling Cube World will do the same. It has a lot of options in what you can do, but it also has a fair few mechanics in place to expand upon in the future.

Looking at some of Wollay's goals, it is definitely safe to say that Cube World will hopefully become an open-world Legend of Zelda with Diablo-style combat and loot. A big emphasis will be on dropping you in the middle of nowhere and letting you build up your character.

It definitely has a lot more to do then Minecraft (which isn't to say Minecraft is dull or anything like that), especially in that you can't just sit in one place and "complete" the game. Though both titles are very different from each other, so the comparisons probably stop at voxel-based engines. I just feel that in Cube World I'm actually encouraged to run around and find/discover things, where as in Minecraft there isn't as much of an emphasis in adventuring more so in building.

For those having trouble with learning new skills and utilising your trainer, simply hit the X key nearby your trainer (can tell by their weapon who is who) and you'll be able to spend your skill points. To undo a spent point, right-click the skill tree and you'll be given a point back, though if you do this after accepting the changes you will be charged a few copper/silver for doing so.

Each class has two skill trees, though three of the skill branches (pet, climbing and riding) are the exact same between trees. At this moment there are only four abilities per class, however I'm presuming more will be added in future updates and obviously UI changes to allow mix-matching of skills.

Ianan

Couldn't agree more. First impressions were good, then I realised theres just not a whole not to it atm. I think in a few more months I'll give it another look, still glad I picked it up though. Beautiful looking game!

...how do I purchase this game? I don't see any link on the website.

Edit: Found it, I need to go to the Picroma site not the section about Cube World. Go figure!

Parakeetman

If this game allowed for building like minecraft also I could see it being pretty much game over to all free time lol

Since Id really like to make my own little fort at this point and leave all my loot in it D:

Oh man the boomerang is insanely OP!

Burnzoire

Neo Member
I tried to play the game at 4K which the game doesn't support. However, the game didn't allow me to revert and starts at the resolution every time now. Can't find the ini containing resolution either. Any tips?

Is there a way to scale the UI as well? 3600x2025 works but the UI becomes tiny because it doesn't scale.

Tried looking in the registry? (run regedit)

zeelman

I registered for an account about two hours ago, and I still haven't gotten the activation email. I tried to login into my account to try and resend the email but it now claims my account login is invalid.

eorl

Banned
How do you get a controller to work? My wireless 360 controller won't work in this game for some reason...
I've only heard off-hand talk that it can work by opening the game up and logging into a world with the keyboard/mouse (don't have the controller active) and then plugging in/turning on the controller. Apparently it will detect it and auto-assign everything.
If this game allowed for building like minecraft also I could see it being pretty much game over to all free time lol

Since Id really like to make my own little fort at this point and leave all my loot in it D:

I feel like this would be a great addition to Cube World, but at the same time it may be detrimental to the overall feeling of the game. This is what keeps the two apart, in that Cube World is assigned more to the RPG/Adventure genre then Minecraft which is more the Lego building side. If the two could be placed together without destroying the core experience both offer, then it may just work.

In the end, it really is up to Wollay and his wife's vision of the game. For now I see the road being more adventure/RPG driven, though there is some form of customisation in the way of weapons and you can build your own house through blueprints and materials. I just hope that whatever way it goes, that it still contains that joyous fun of wandering around and adventuring through the gorgeous lands.

Parakeetman

I've only heard off-hand talk that it can work by opening the game up and logging into a world with the keyboard/mouse (don't have the controller active) and then plugging in/turning on the controller. Apparently it will detect it and auto-assign everything.I feel like this would be a great addition to Cube World, but at the same time it may be detrimental to the overall feeling of the game. This is what keeps the two apart, in that Cube World is assigned more to the RPG/Adventure genre then Minecraft which is more the Lego building side. If the two could be placed together without destroying the core experience both offer, then it may just work.

In the end, it really is up to Wollay and his wife's vision of the game. For now I see the road being more adventure/RPG driven, though there is some form of customisation in the way of weapons and you can build your own house through blueprints and materials. I just hope that whatever way it goes, that it still contains that joyous fun of wandering around and adventuring through the gorgeous lands.

Hell even just buying parts to piece together your own home would be awesome. Like prebuilt pieces, therefore as long as you have the mats you can make your own home. Instead of actively digging / harvesting the world like minecraft. Something extra I think this game needs, besides just the adventuring around on ones own. Being able to even make your own town and have villagers start living in it would be awesome too.

Since its stuff like that which also helps keep interested in the game instead of just going around mindlessly killing things and finding loot.

eorl

Banned
Hell even just buying parts to piece together your own home would be awesome. Like prebuilt pieces, therefore as long as you have the mats you can make your own home. Instead of actively digging / harvesting the world like minecraft. Something extra I think this game needs, besides just the adventuring around on ones own. Being able to even make your own town and have villagers start living in it would be awesome too.

Since its stuff like that which also helps keep interested in the game instead of just going around mindlessly killing things and finding loot.
As I said, the mechanics are there so the ability to expand on it should be easy enough. You already do just that with your own house by gathering blueprints to build different styled housing and needing the resources to actually build it. Though it would be really awesome if you could build your own town and have NPCs populate it and offer quests/missions.

I'm a bit confused, I understand that it doesn't have the building aspect of Minecraft.. but looking at some Yogscast videos on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqtVQLL9gcI) this game looks quite content-heavy for an alpha release.

There are a lot of different classes, a lot of different biomes each with plenty of unique monsters.. I understand that the gameplay might be quite repetitive, but I've seen a lot of different spells used and the various available mounts seem impressive.

Sad that there isn't a real demo I can try.. I'm on the edge of buying it, but at this point I'm a bit concerned about the author's roadmap and loyalty towards updating the game. But at the same time it looks wonderful and I want to support that.

jchap

Got to level 8 tonight. Killed a boss in a castle and a world boss. Was fun stuff. Still the game is very raw and has tons of room to get even better.

Parakeetman

Its one thing Minecraft never seemed to get right. Was how you could populate your own towns but the AI was all broken so it never would stay in it correctly lol.

Still very cool stuff and good to hear that such features potentially exist in this game. Really will be looking forward to watching progress on this title as it matures over time just like minecraft.

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member

Isn't building one of the things projected to be added? I thought I remembered seeing that as a future addition just not in the game yet.

EDIT: Ah, it just says Housing so not actually building whatever you want. You build a house and then you can expand on it. It will be used as storage and other stuff.

Awakened

Finally got in. First beast I come across:
krorior5fshb.png
He took quite awhile to take down with proper timed dodges and attacks. I eventually switched to the giant log to do better damage. I got 18xp, Popcorn and a +10 Unholy Spirit from him.

It takes a bit for the game to startup and shutdown and seems to stutter at regular intervals currently, but overall it runs pretty well on my 2500k GTX 570 rig. Combat is fun so far and it'll be cool to see in further deepened.

Played the alpha for hours tonight and had a lot of fun. I explored two different biomes, some castles, dungeons, and took on some boss monsters. I learned a few new skills and crafted some new gear and weapons. It's extremely polished for an alpha and there is just a ton of potential here. I can't wait to see what Wollay has in store for the future.

Blizzard

Banned
This does look cool, though as people have mentioned building might be nice. Regarding the runaway framerate, D3DOverrider from the Rivatuner package might help, if anyone wants to give that a shot.

ZenVolta

Played the alpha for hours tonight and had a lot of fun. I explored two different biomes, some castles, dungeons, and took on some boss monsters. I learned a few new skills and crafted some new gear and weapons. It's extremely polished for an alpha and there is just a ton of potential here. I can't wait to see what Wollay has in store for the future.

Same here. Found a lava biome and had a fun time playing multiplayer. The game almost has a dark souls vibe in how challenging it is. And its great!

Skab

This does look cool, though as people have mentioned building might be nice. Regarding the runaway framerate, D3DOverrider from the Rivatuner package might help, if anyone wants to give that a shot.

I know player housing is a planned feature, so I other building options probably isn't to far out of the question. Especially considering how big the world is.

The game has a ton of potential. I would love to see some sort of world event kinda things. Like the blood moons or goblin armies from Terraria. Maybe having to defend towns against attackers or the town might be destroyed or something. Or a meteor falling to the ground out in the wilderness and having to track it down and fight a giant space monster. Have some really rare events that give good rewards.

Lucent

I'm trying to run the benchmark demo to see if my laptop will run this but everytime I try to execute it it says something about not being able to initialize Direct3D and make sure the latest DirectX driver is updated. I've done that and it's still not working. =/

Skab

I'm trying to run the benchmark demo to see if my laptop will run this but everytime I try to execute it it says something about not being able to initialize Direct3D and make sure the latest DirectX driver is updated. I've done that and it's still not working. =/

Sounds like you have an integrated intel graphics. If you do, they're not currently supported, so your laptop wont be able to run it. :(

eorl

Banned
I know player housing is a planned feature, so I other building options probably isn't to far out of the question. Especially considering how big the world is.

The game has a ton of potential. I would love to see some sort of world event kinda things. Like the blood moons or goblin armies from Terraria. Maybe having to defend towns against attackers or the town might be destroyed or something. Or a meteor falling to the ground out in the wilderness and having to track it down and fight a giant space monster. Have some really rare events that give good rewards.
That actually does somewhat happen already, NPCs that are wandering by will attack cities, but there is currently no notification of that happening. I also accidentally kited an ogre into the starting city, decimated the place heh.

Lucent

Sounds like you have an integrated intel graphics. If you do, they're not currently supported, so your laptop wont be able to run it. :(

Ah. That's the problem then. =/

I didn't buy my laptop with the intention of using it for doing much gaming, but it does pretty well with most indie games and some light stuff. Oh well, I guess I can wait.

The difficulty is SUPER wonky, and not scaled to single players AT ALL in many instances. Any enemy who is a caster is about 10 times as dangerous and a non-caster. Bosses in +1 or more zones are virtually unkillable, and will often kill you in one hit. The upgrading system for weapons... doesn't seem to work. The unholy spirits, for instance, are supposed to give life on hit, but they don't. And I don't really see any benefits at all to using any of them, which makes me wonder if it's bugged.

I watched a stream all night of a guy playing with a group of about 8 people, and they are able to just graveyard zerg the impossibly difficult bosses down. He went from level 1-81 in a single day because being able to kill these really hard bosses nets you like 3 or 4 levels at a time, plus really good items. The fact that the difficulty doesn't seem to scale properly (at all?) with player count in the game really ruins it. Some things seem balanced for 4+ players, others seem balanced for single players, rather than dynamically scaling the difficulty based on the number of players in the game.

I still have not explored all the biomes, and while it's neat for a little while to find a new one (except ocean, fuck ocean) they don't feel sufficiently unique to warrant touting them as a major feature of the game. It's not like Terraria where the different biomes are completely different components of the game, with totally unique enemies, items, bosses and mechanics (i.e. hallow and corruption). And with reallly, really shitty biomes like the ocean which is just a completely empty body of water, they often feel like a negative, and I just threw a whole world away and started a new one because of it.

The loot progression is also completely one dimensional. It's got the D3 problem of bigger numbers, not mechanics. Again, comparing it to something like Terraria, you had all kinds of unique items in that game that would let you fly, or grapple around, or teleport back to town (REALLY FUCKING BADLY NEEDED IN THIS GAME). Here, you just make your numbers bigger. You don't get special effects on weapons or armor, you don't find special items that have singularly unique effects, you just get bigger numbers.

The skill trees are nonexistent. With 6 of the 9 skills per class being focused on adventuring and not combat, you don't get any level of customization, and the combat skills themselves don't progress in meaningful ways as you dump points into them, they just get lower cooldowns or grow by 1% movement speed per point. This is a problem with the touted "infinite level cap" where he has to scale everything off asymptotically or risk the game breaking. Unfortunately it just succeeds in making the skills boring once you've unlocked everything by around level 15.

Overall, I still played it all day, but it's a hollow kind of "all day". It's like an MMO, where I'll look back at the time spent playing it and say what the FUCK was I doing playing that shit all day long on the 4th of July? It benefits greatly from the party play and social aspect, but you have to get a bunch of like-minded people together who will be able to tolerate the boring MMO grind and the incredibly long and empty travel distances that bookend the interesting combat and exploration encounters in dungeons and missions.

Shinjica

The loot progression is also completely one dimensional. It's got the D3 problem of bigger numbers, not mechanics. Again, comparing it to something like Terraria, you had all kinds of unique items in that game that would let you fly, or grapple around, or teleport back to town (REALLY FUCKING BADLY NEEDED IN THIS GAME). Here, you just make your numbers bigger. You don't get special effects on weapons or armor, you don't find special items that have singularly unique effects, you just get bigger numbers.

The difference is that D3 was released as a complete game and it wasnt. This is still in Alpha so they still have much work to do.

Skab

The difficulty is SUPER wonky, and not scaled to single players AT ALL in many instances. Any enemy who is a caster is about 10 times as dangerous and a non-caster. Bosses in +1 or more zones are virtually unkillable, and will often kill you in one hit. The upgrading system for weapons... doesn't seem to work. The unholy spirits, for instance, are supposed to give life on hit, but they don't. And I don't really see any benefits at all to using any of them, which makes me wonder if it's bugged.

I watched a stream all night of a guy playing with a group of about 8 people, and they are able to just graveyard zerg the impossibly difficult bosses down. He went from level 1-81 in a single day because being able to kill these really hard bosses nets you like 3 or 4 levels at a time, plus really good items. The fact that the difficulty doesn't seem to scale properly (at all?) with player count in the game really ruins it. Some things seem balanced for 4+ players, others seem balanced for single players, rather than dynamically scaling the difficulty based on the number of players in the game.

I still have not explored all the biomes, and while it's neat for a little while to find a new one (except ocean, fuck ocean) they don't feel sufficiently unique to warrant touting them as a major feature of the game. It's not like Terraria where the different biomes are completely different components of the game, with totally unique enemies, items, bosses and mechanics (i.e. hallow and corruption). And with reallly, really shitty biomes like the ocean which is just a completely empty body of water, they often feel like a negative, and I just threw a whole world away and started a new one because of it.

The skill trees are nonexistent. With 6 of the 9 skills per class being focused on adventuring and not combat, you don't get any level of customization, and the combat skills themselves don't progress in meaningful ways as you dump points into them, they just get lower cooldowns or grow by 1% movement speed per point. This is a problem with the touted "infinite level cap" where he has to scale everything off asymptotically or risk the game breaking. Unfortunately it just succeeds in making the skills boring once you've unlocked everything by around level 15.

Overall, I still played it all day, but it's a hollow kind of "all day". It's like an MMO, where I'll look back at the time spent playing it and say what the FUCK was I doing playing that shit all day long on the 4th of July? It benefits greatly from the party play and social aspect, but you have to get a bunch of like-minded people together who will be able to tolerate the boring MMO grind and the incredibly long and empty travel distances that bookend the interesting combat and exploration encounters in dungeons and missions.

Well, it's a bare bones alpha. Most if not all of these things should be addressed as it gets further into development.

Also, as for the bolded part, there IS fast travel in the game. It may not be directly back to town, but It's in the form of stones you can teleport between that are scattered all over the world. You just have to find them first.

The more I play, the more mechanics I come across. I keep getting better but, FUCK, ranger is difficult to use! I like this game a lot and I am very happy I spent $20 on it.

I can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Water mage's damaging and healing with the same attack (when in range) seems like an aRPG staple. Going with that for now.

The difference is that D3 was released as a complete game and it wasnt. This is still in Alpha so they still have much work to do.

This was simply a concise review of the game. I understand that it's an alpha, but that does not mitigate the issues, it merely means that they need to understand what issues they have so they can fix them.

Well, it's a bare bones alpha. Most if not all of these things should be addressed as it gets further into development.

Also, as for the bolded part, there IS fast travel in the game. It may not be directly back to town, but It's in the form of stones you can teleport between that are scattered all over the world. You just have to find them first.

I played for probably 15 hours yesterday, and watched numerous streams on my other monitor of others playing it, and did not see a single person who found a single one of the teleport stones. I have a feeling that they are not implemented correctly (or at all).

smr00

Banned
Battle higher level skeleton that drops me to 2hp. I'm rewarded 1xp.

Woot. Only 40 more xp to lvl 2.

(love this game, but fuck me...)
Seems like the game is incredibly unbalanced when it comes to the enemies but it's alpha so i don't expect a fully fleshed out balanced game.

My problem when i first started was there was no direction, no tutorial. It just threw me in without any information on how to do anything and that just seems lazy to me even if it's in alpha. The creator should of at least including some tips at the start like hey click X to bring up this tool tip bar that explains crafting etc. and if there is one the guy/gal did a poor job of telling me where it is.

I only put about 4 hours into the game but i enjoyed it and will continue to play.

Top Bottom