• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cube World |OT| Who ever said the world was a sphere?

-NeoTB1-

fuck i never heard of this game until today is this good? If so I will buy it now

It seems to be getting pretty positive impressions from people, but unfortunately the shop is down right now. You may be able to register on their site, but that's about it for now.

The Foul

Is it? I've got a decent one I found in a dungeon. May have to try it...

Boomerang is nasty, hits multiple people with one attack, which gives you crazy combo/dmg up. I struggled to kill even one dude with the bow but the boomerang just cuts through multiple mobs at a time no sweat. The secondary attack is just overkill. Most OP of all, you can throw your boomerang and dodge like crazy while it still hits the target - making you very hard to kill.

Sarcasm

If Wollay was using steam you would still be waiting to buy it because of steams shitty greenlight service. Infact I can guarantee the very words out of your mouth would be something like "oh christ why use steam just release the game on your website and use paypal, don't wait for this shitty steam greenlight crap".

I understand the frustration from people but this game isn't going anywhere. Sooner or later things will settle down and you will be able to buy it. Just appreciate that this is a 2 person operation and the amount of demand is actually a good thing because it means this game will be supported for years to come.

And this still sucked worse.

Yes the game will be there but what if I couldn't buy it til it went retail when price goes up =p

Sucks to be that guy that was waiting 4+ days to buy this.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Can you break down weapons to get like iron?

Dont think so. Just gotta constantly go cave hunting.

Its too bad you cant bomb the hell out of random rocks to find iron. Since apparently all that does is make a giant hole lol

And this still sucked worse.

Yes the game will be there but what if I couldn't buy it til it went retail when price goes up =p

Has a game on GL been not buyable for days?

Its in the alpha phase and meant for testing rather than being a commercial product. Those who buy into it do so with the knowledge that things will be broken, which also includes the whole storefront / website.

Panda Rin

Loving this game so far. Combat is really fun and despite the being unbalanced, it's a blast with co-op. Finding and killing bosses and enemies is really satisfying. I'm really excited to see what wollay has in store for the upcoming months.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Thanks for the tips on the boomerang. Definitely going to give it a shot.

Also, I'm sort of shocked at how testy some GAF folk are with this release. Most of us are smart enough to understand the demands that we impart on the server from registration to downloading to updating. It's silly to get so temperamental about an alpha release like this.

Sucks to be that guy that was waiting 4+ days to buy this.

Cheapskate ;) I understand the frustration though. I was one of the lucky ones and it seems kinda unfair because I wasn't really that bothered about the game. Although having played it solidly for several days now I love it and can't wait to see where the guy goes with the updates.

I wouldn't worry about missing out on the cheap alpha price though. I imagine this game will be in alpha for several months (just like minecraft was) so you will have to be extremely unlucky to miss out on the alpha. Hopefully you get the game soon and you enjoy it :D

Sarcasm

Well..you don't know what I did to manage to get that extra equalivant in EURO of 10USD lol..since I don't earn in USD or EURO >.<

And PP is a bunch of butt munchers.

bengraven

2hyASUH.jpg

Climbed my first mountain and I really really wish I could use my hang glider.

Thanks for the tips on the boomerang. Definitely going to give it a shot.

Also, I'm sort of shocked at how testy some GAF folk are with this release. Most of us are smart enough to understand the demands that we impart on the server from registration to downloading to updating. It's silly to get so temperamental about an alpha release like this.

It needs to stop being compared to other games. Yes, Minecraft maybe was more addicting from the first alpha release, but the gameplay and goals are completely different. This game is about leveling, loot and exploration, things that are more difficult to throw into a pre-release without being horribly unbalanced and somewhat bare.

I'm actually EXCITED about getting into the alpha - every update, every addition, it's going to be exciting to see what they add back in. I fucking MISS that from early Minecraft.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Climbed my first mountain and I really really wish I could use my hang glider.

It needs to stop being compared to other games. Yes, Minecraft maybe was more addicting from the first alpha release, but the gameplay and goals are completely different. This game is about leveling, loot and exploration, things that are more difficult to throw into a pre-release without being horribly unbalanced and somewhat bare.

I'm actually EXCITED about getting into the alpha - every update, every addition, it's going to be exciting to see what they add back in. I fucking MISS that from early Minecraft.

I hated Minecraft (still do), but love this... I don't think it's comparable as far as gameplay.

bengraven

I hated Minecraft (still do), but love this... I don't think it's comparable as far as gameplay.

It's not, but it will be compared to it because of the similar art styles. Which of course only apply to terrain.

I'm not sure if you know, but people are sometimes knee jerk reactionaries. :p

I'm terrible at the game or I'm playing wrong. Everything pretty much kills me. I purchased the 2 bits of armor that I was able to. Still getting beat up by squirrels and beetles lol. Lvl 1 warrior =\

At level 1, then yeah, you're going to have a hard time with squirrels and beetles. I made the same mistake when I was playing.

I'm playing a dual-sword beserker and I actually realized I didn't understand the combat system at all until yesterday when it just clicked, and the game is now still really damn hard, but manageable now. I'm almost to level 3 now.

First, for me I didn't realize that I could charge up my spinning sword attack. This makes it do so much more damage. Hold left click to keep auto attacking until you get full MP, then hold right click to charge and release. There's a chance you can stun the enemy with this as well, which gives you time to charge up your MP again to do another spin move.

Second, make use of the dodge!! For me, I don't have a shield, so this is really important. For many enemies you can't just sit there and take the blows. What you need to do is figure out the timing of their attacks, try to get a few auto attacks in, roll immediately before they attack so they miss, and then attack them a few more times, roll, etc until you get full MP.

Also, if you don't have any health potions on you, you're going to have a bad time. Ginseng root and pineapples can be made into health items as well if you aren't aware (I didn't know for a while). I've usually found pineapple fields with 50+ pineapple near a town or just outside of it.

Question for everyone though... Is there a way to remove iron blocks you put on your sword? I couldn't figure out a way to do that, and I ended up just straight up deleting one of my blocks when I clicked it off my sword and into a blank space on the UI (thinking it would drop or something, but it deleted without confirmation). :(

Not sure if posted, Wollay posted some traffic stats on twitter last night

BOc22O2CMAAuSeR.png:large

Those are the stats when some asshole decided to DDoS the site. I understand people are pissed they can't get the game, I was in the same boat for a few days, but how does DDoS'ing it help? I'll never understand some people...

Vargavinter

Those are the stats when some asshole decided to DDoS the site. I understand people are pissed they can't get the game, I was in the same boat for a few days, but how does DDoS'ing it help? I'll never understand some people...

6a00d8341bf74053ef013487c4d1ce970c-800wi

;)

I just managed to kill my way in to my first Castle and boy it was such an adrenaline rush! Stocked up on potions and food and trying to dodge past patrolling guards so i dont get swamped.
Killing the Ogre that was patrolling the Orc-leaders room, and then trying to kill the boss itself was a drawn out fight with dodging, hiding to eat a few seconds just to be able to regain some HP and stamina.
But i did it! Have this "Im King of the World" feeling warming my body on may long journey back home to my town.

eXistor

This looks so cool, but I'm gonna hold off until the PS4 version. Too many games as it is and think I'd like a more polished version when I'm gonna be playing it.

Dragoshi1

You don't need to start them through RadeonPro. Just leave it running in the background.

Go to tweaks and then Display refresh rate and set it to 60 Hz

Alright, I went in with the settings, and my framerate stays between 49-60FPS, so I assume it worked.

But, I also tried forcing vsync on, and forcing the game with dynamic framrate control to stay at 60FPS for similar results.

Which is better? I'm not sure which to go with, but the latter option ran a tad bit smoother, but I don't know if my gpu is heating up or not, I have a radeon HD 6550D(prebuilt PC, but I run games like Skyrim perfectly).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My crossbow is still significantly better than a boomerang at this point. I can rapid fire hits for 10-20 and use 1 to kick enemies away. Combined with an actual charge shot to have a stun chance and I feel legit.

I also found a Lemon Tart, Blue Jelly, and Caramel Chocolate Bar while doing this dungeon. New pets ahoy!

Oh, and do Platinum Coins have a use yet?

Stitch

Gold Member
Alright, I went in with the settings, and my framerate stays between 49-60FPS, so I assume it worked.

But, I also tried forcing vsync on, and forcing the game with dynamic framrate control to stay at 60FPS for similar results.

Which is better? I'm not sure which to go with, but the latter option ran a tad bit smoother, but I don't know if my gpu is heating up or not, I have a radeon HD 6550D(prebuilt PC, but I run games like Skyrim perfectly).

I think dynamic framerate + vsync is the better option.

Also I just managed to buy this :O

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Here's a simple script for an autorun:

Cube.ahk said:
#IfWinActive, Cube

`::
Send, {W DOWN}
Return

~s::
Send, {W UP}
Return

Paste that into a text file, save as cube.ahk (no .txt extension), install autohotkey, and double click the file to run it.
This makes it so that when you press the tilde (~) key on your keyboard, it sends the W key down only. You start moving forward and keep going. Tap W or press S to stop.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
common weapons sell for way more than green weapons, etc. Is it possible to remove gems from weapons that are found? Seems weird to me that higher quality weapons sell for next to nothing, unless they just want to discourage selling them.

Ultrabum

You can upgrade any weapon to you current power level if you pay platinum coins to the npc in the tower in the towns.

mrgone

What the hell. Every time someone says the store's up I've checked within a few minutes and it's down. Is it some kind of load balancing lottery?

I want this game so badly but I don't have the money this month. I basically have to wait till next month before I can buy this game. Ugh...

I'm enjoying the game, but I can't help but feel they're asking for a little too much. 20 USD for an alpha is a little excessive, especially since beta/full will cost more. I wonder what the final price will end up being. Minecraft was around €10 for the Alpha, wasn't it? €15 or so for the beta. So...maybe €20 for the beta and possibly €25 for the full version. Yeah, don't know about that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm enjoying the game, but I can't help but feel they're asking for a little too much. 20 USD for an alpha is a little excessive, especially since beta/full will cost more. I wonder what the final price will end up being. Minecraft was around €10 for the Alpha, wasn't it? €15 or so for the beta. So...maybe €20 for the beta and possibly €25 for the full version. Yeah, don't know about that.

Honestly, I think it feels right for what we're getting. There's already a LOT of content available, and much more to come. Alpha buy-in feels more complete than Minecraft did.

Bowser
Lvl 13 Lizardman Ranger
Specialization: Scout

... And I am just TEARING through red enemies, now. Especially with my boomerang and a few spirit cubes. Oh my god, I love this game.

eorl

Banned
A lot of people seem to be getting their pants in a twist over not being able to purchase the game. Look, I can understand the frustration of not being able to grab this gorgeous looking game, but you have to give Wollay and his wife a bit of a break.

Calling them "cheapskates" because they didn't put it on Steam and instead chose to utilise their own shop is just immature. Cube World isn't being made by a team of 50+ people, it is being made by two people. They've been overwhelmed by the traffic and that is something you can't prepare for. Add in the DDoS and things are just hectic for these guys.

This game has a ton of potential, and right now it is a beautiful construct of hard work for something that has been developed for three years. Expect bugs, broken mechanics and the usual Alpha catalogue of issues because that is what it is, Alpha.

Also, the only comparison this has to Minecraft is the voxel-based engine. It stops there with its comparisons because both are outrageously different, and both offer varying degrees of gameplay. I know that $20 can be a lot to some as well, but the price is at the point where Wollay believes it is good value for money, and I agree with him. Here in Australia that amount of money would get me a movie ticket and some popcorn for three hours of entertainment. Compare that to what I've already racked up (20 hours) and I have a feeling its already worth it.

Complain, critique and discuss, but don't blame and don't point the finger because it gets you nowhere.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally found a spitter pet! Love his ranged attack! Apparently the area he hits an enemy gives a healing aura! A+

BLCKATK

Anyone interested in starting fresh on a server? I'm going to be hosting one. PM me for the info. Going to be starting a new Rogue.

EDIT: Servers down for now. May bring it up on a later date, I'll post again about it.

Top Bottom