• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cube World |OT| Who ever said the world was a sphere?

Rhyvven

Neo Member
http://direct.cyberkitsune.net/canibuycubeworld/

Where are they getting that 1.39% downtime number? Is that local to my computer or is that really all the time that registration has been up? That doesn't seem right.

I am assuming how long the actual registration has been active, based on this: "Data may be delayed up to one minute. Statistics are based off of the last 590 minutes."

Edit: At least now there is some consistency....Site, Registration and Shop are down. Perhaps good? Perhaps......nah.

Amneisac

I am assuming how long the actual registration has been active, based on this: "Data may be delayed up to one minute. Statistics are based off of the last 590 minutes."

Edit: At least now there is some consistency....Site, Registration and Shop are down. Perhaps good? Perhaps......nah.

These are pretty abysmal statistics seeing them laid out like this. I guess I was a little more understanding at first, but the more time that passes it's pretty clear that he really used have used another service to handle the store for him.

Kouriozan

Someone really don't want other to buy and possibly enjoy a game. That's really sad.
I hope Wollay can fix this situation quick enough.

elyetis

I know he said it was DDoS, but I really think it's just traffic.
Hard to say, thought it wouldn't be the first site to go down just for being linked by @notch, and in his case he wasn't just mentioned by him, but also almost hired, etc...

moojito

This dude must be losing out on millions. All these people who are like "take my money!" and as someone else pointed out, people will get distracted with the steam sale and won't come back.

Burt

Yup, I really hope this isn't a glimpse at customer support and service for the future of this game.
Meh, I'm sure it'll get better over time. This'll probably be the wake up call to let them know that a 2-person operation isn't cutting it anymore. Does anyone have any numbers on the rate the has been increasing?

aravuus

Meh, I'm sure it'll get better over time. This'll probably be the wake up call to let them know that a 2-person operation isn't cutting it anymore. Does anyone have any numbers on the rate the has been increasing?

I don't know man, it's been three days and they haven't even posted anything on twitter. As far as I know, they've been offered help, but they denied it or something.

Seriously, I have the game bought but I can't even play it. Can't connect to the update server.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Are there any best practices for indie devs to avoid that DDOS problem? Some sort of hardware defense or better to go with a hosted service?

VandalD

These are good videos.

Have you ever gotten lifesteal to actually work on the unholy cube, I have one and it does nothing that I could see, no lifesteal at all.
From what I've noticed playing the rogue, lifesteal only works with special, non left click attacks. Probably the same with other classes.

Raxum

Solo warrior is tough. The spin and jump help but even then it's tough.

What spec are you? Because honestly the berserker spec seems rather underpowered to me. The Guardian spec has a block, even when using a 2-hand weapon, that you can use to 'parry' which stuns things and has a very very tiny cooldown. Makes it slightly easier, but it does take a lot of practice and paying attention to what's going on. Also, I've noticed, if an enemy has stars around their head, they seem to be un-stunnable, even if they've gotten back up. So make sure to hold your cooldowns and stuns for that.

Ranger on the other hand is positioning and then spamming M2 with a crossbow. Got my ranger to 45 from 17 last night by just farming bosses solo. It's so ridiculously easy that it almost makes me feel bad. That said, I plan to start trying out more difficult content and starting to farm for Yellows(still haven't gotten any yellows except my lamp) when I play tonight.

Sorry. Just trying to be helpful and thats how I got it =(

Oh I'm not saying you're ridiculous. Thanks for the tip it's just crazy that no one can buy the game whenever. All my friends are torrenting the game and will probably be bored of the title when it opens up again. Is it difficult to recover from "Ddos" attacks?

Are there any best practices for indie devs to avoid that DDOS problem? Some sort of hardware defense or better to go with a hosted service?

Full disclaimer, I work as a software developer on a major gaming marketplace (not saying where).

The answer is in my biased opinion to go with one of the hosted services that's friendly towards indy developers and titles still in development. While I understand that the mindset of "Why pay x% to a company that just distributes the game?" can seem painful for any developer to swallow, I can speak from experience that a digital distribution marketplace is a lot of work to develop, maintain, and secure.

VandalD

Ran into a +1 boss with a boomerang weapon. Impossible to avoid all that spinning bullshit and kill a boss that has that much health and not use way too many potions.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
What spec are you? Because honestly the berserker spec seems rather underpowered to me. The Guardian spec has a block, even when using a 2-hand weapon, that you can use to 'parry' which stuns things and has a very very tiny cooldown. Makes it slightly easier, but it does take a lot of practice and paying attention to what's going on. Also, I've noticed, if an enemy has stars around their head, they seem to be un-stunnable, even if they've gotten back up. So make sure to hold your cooldowns and stuns for that.

Ranger on the other hand is positioning and then spamming M2 with a crossbow. Got my ranger to 45 from 17 last night by just farming bosses solo. It's so ridiculously easy that it almost makes me feel bad. That said, I plan to start trying out more difficult content and starting to farm for Yellows(still haven't gotten any yellows except my lamp) when I play tonight.
Guardian, yeah, the parry helps, but I still feel UP compared to the other classes.

Is it possible to get the Steam overlay working with Cube World? I've tried adding it as a non-Steam game and that doesn't work. Any way to force it?

eorl

Banned
I don't know man, it's been three days and they haven't even posted anything on twitter. As far as I know, they've been offered help, but they denied it or something.

Seriously, I have the game bought but I can't even play it. Can't connect to the update server.
I don't believe they've ever denied help, the only instance of denying was when Notch asked him if he wanted to work under Mojang and bring Cube World as well. I can understand saying no to that because its your baby, something you've been working on for three years and you don't want to just throw it to some random.

As I said previously, a lot of people are having trouble realising that this is alpha, and a two-person operation. They got overwhelmed and people should have expected just that. Is this going to continue into the release? I presume not now that he is a millionaire and can hire other people to help him.

Also, the amount of content in this game is pretty crazy. Its an alpha and already it surpasses a number of other alpha titles and even some full release ones. To those who thought this would contain the entire game, I'm sorry but you fooled yourself on that one.

CedarFever

Neo Member
I managed to get lucky and create an account on Friday then find the store up long enough on Saturday to buy the game.

So far it is pretty enjoyable for an alpha and, at least in single player, rock solid in terms of stability. All the systems that are implemented work and are fun. That said, I definitely see a lot of places to expand and improve on what exists right now.

Engine/Tech
  • Procedural world generation - The terrain is varied and interesting. No glitchy terrain like islands in the sky.
  • Voxel graphics - The lighting engine does a great job overcoming the lack of textures. Minimal textures also means the base installation is tiny. (<80MB)
  • Stability/Polish - I just want to call this out again. I haven't had one crash in single player. Also, no obvious bugs or broken features. There's not a huge number of systems in the game, but what is there works.

Systems/Content
  • Classes - I've only played Ranger/Sniper, Rogue/Assassin and Warrior/Guardian so far and each has a very distinct playstyle. The skill selections are very limited at this point.
  • Pets - Lots of different pets to tame. Pet leveling is slow though as pets have the same XP curve as characters and don't get XP if they're dead when you kill a mob. It reminds me of vanilla WoW and I can see this becoming a real drag for anyone wanting to get a diverse stable going. Since there is a 1 to 1 correspondence in pets & pet foods (random drop) for taming, that further aggravates the situation.
  • Itemization - Armor and weapons are class-restricted. You can only learn recipes for items that your class can equip. There is no way to move items between your characters (that I've found at least). Thus, 3/4 of all loot & recipes you get are useless to your character and will be vendor bait.
  • Crafting - There's no easy in-game way to batch craft so if you want 50 healing potions (the max stack size) you're going to be holding down the left mouse button for awhile. The basic armor/weapon crafting components are wood, iron, cotton, silk and plant fiber. All but iron are relatively easy to farm if you explore. You have to delve into caves to find iron and this is hit or miss.
  • Biomes - These are huge! My most explored map is around 500km^2 right now and I haven't left my original Grasslands biome. The downside is that I've only found 1 city and you are tied to a city for crafting and even more importantly access to an Alchemist so you can buy glass bottles for potion-making.

Raxum

Guardian, yeah, the parry helps, but I still feel UP compared to the other classes.

Yeah, the management and everything required is annoying, plus even though you get tanky, you don't regen anything and you can't really keep up on damage output. I find I either need to tank or do damage, or have a friend do damage for me. It's the main reason I switched to a ranger, don't need to tank, things either die before they get to me or I stun and kite easily.

So that mage spell that insta nukes you, cant be obtained as a mage....genius

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous, need to be able to obtain that spell and then mage would definitely rank as most OP class :p That said I would like it to be fair and for player-like enemies with classes to have the same restrictions as the players for abilities and such. Maybe apart from Bosses.

oO Arekkz Oo

Neo Member
These are good videos.

Have you ever gotten lifesteal to actually work on the unholy cube, I have one and it does nothing that I could see, no lifesteal at all.

Thanks, I'm glad you like them :)

I haven't actually had a chance to test out unholy, so far the only spirit cubes I've found are wind! :(

Registration was up for about 30 seconds a few times tonight, now everything is down, site, registration and shop. I managed to make and account but no dice on actually buying it.

Top Bottom