• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cube World |OT| Who ever said the world was a sphere?

Pocks

Hasn't been implemented yet.

Oh, well that explains it.
KuGsj.gif
I thought I heard it in some YouTube videos, but I suppose you could probably add your own somehow.

Alright I don't know about bosses yet. I went to some Tree (map marker given to me by an NPC). The area was definitely level appropriate (might have even been too low for me) and I find this giant fucking troll in a tree. He wasn't hard he just had thousands of hit points. I got the pattern of dodging down, whittled away his health, fought through his goons twice because the fight lasted so long they respawned, and was rewarded with a whopping 22 xp. And some evil spirit item.

Bosses need to be fixed. 22 xp is chump change. Travel time + bossfight time = molasses.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Bosses need to be fixed. 22 xp is chump change. Travel time + bossfight time = molasses.

If it was fun it shouldn't matter how much exp you got. :p If it wasn't fun then the problem isn't the exp.

I think MMOs have laid some really bad conditioning on people in the last ~10 years.

Raxum

Alright I don't know about bosses yet. I went to some Tree (map marker given to me by an NPC). The area was definitely level appropriate (might have even been too low for me) and I find this giant fucking troll in a tree. He wasn't hard he just had thousands of hit points. I got the pattern of dodging down, whittled away his health, fought through his goons twice because the fight lasted so long they respawned, and was rewarded with a whopping 22 xp. And some evil spirit item.

The only bosses worth doing are the ones with missions focused on them at the time (crossed swords above the area and when you get close they're a skull on the map) as these give insane amounts of xp compared to just fighting them normally. Completing a mission generally grants me somewhere around 600+ xp (it doesn't display properly either, it only shows gain for current level, so if you level up it cuts your displayed xp down to what you gained for the level).

I agree though, would like to see it changed in the next update for bosses to be worth the effort. As it stands I just avoid bosses unless there's a mission.

If it was fun it shouldn't matter how much exp you got. :p If it wasn't fun then the problem isn't the exp.

I think MMOs have laid some really bad conditioning on people in the last ~10 years.

The first 10 minutes were fun. heck I'd even give them 15 minutes for a well thought out, challenging bossfight. But eventually it gets stale. It's an alpha so this shouldn't be a hard fix. The flow of the game right now is wonky at best with some fights and journeys taking far too much time to be enjoyable. I'm not going to pretend like the game doesn't have issues just because some elements are fun.

Raxum said:
The only bosses worth doing are the ones with missions focused on them at the time (crossed swords above the area and when you get close they're a skull on the map) as these give insane amounts of xp compared to just fighting them normally. Completing a mission generally grants me somewhere around 600+ xp (it doesn't display properly either, it only shows gain for current level, so if you level up it cuts your displayed xp down to what you gained for the level).

I agree though, would like to see it changed in the next update for bosses to be worth the effort. As it stands I just avoid bosses unless there's a mission.

Yeah about halfway through the fight I started wondering to myself if I wasn't going to get anything since there wasn't a quest marker over the boss. It's too bad because I had to book it through two red areas on the map just to get to this place.

Game needs some faster form of transportation that doesn't rely on leveling mounts or hang gliding. Perhaps teleportation rune stones at all landmarks, which won't totally eliminate the need to run around since you'd still need to explore. But traveling back and forth from land marks to cities is really annoying.

Combat is very fun but turns stale in drawn out fights with HP heavy enemies. The AI needs more dynamics, I feel. Not just making a B line at you constantly.

Raxum

Game needs some faster form of transportation that doesn't rely on leveling mounts or hang gliding. Perhaps teleportation rune stones at all landmarks, which won't totally eliminate the need to run around since you'd still need to explore. But traveling back and forth from land marks to cities is really annoying.

Combat is very fun but turns stale in drawn out fights with HP heavy enemies. The AI needs more dynamics, I feel. Not just making a B line at you constantly.

Agreed with the transport, but there are already teleportation stones, they're just really rare and really spread out. I think there at least needs to be one in each town, but if that were to happen, the occasional one out in the wild would be awesome as well. Stones at each landmark seems a bit much though.

Making players able to set up camps where they can set a spawn point would be good, too. The spawn system is good, overall, but the game seems to choose which one you spawn at rather randomly.

Lock it behind having to craft your bedrolls and campsite, to keep it from being too mobile and making where you set up be a real choice, but the game would benefit from having something that creates a more "adventure"-y feel. Right now it feels more like random wandering, and I think giving players the ability to create their own slice of home while they're far away from any town, and making them live off the land would really add to the grand adventure feel.

I can understand that some people would want this to be distinct from Minecraft, but I really think the game would benefit greatly from allowing the player to leave their mark on the world, and having things like a farming system.

On a side note, the game's terrain generator is really good. I'm always impressed by how good the environments the game creates looks.

Also, apologies for any typos. I'm on my phone and SwiftKey likes to mess with me from time to time.

Raxum

Making players able to set up camps where they can set a spawn point would be good, too. The spawn system is good, overall, but the game seems to choose which one you spawn at rather randomly.

Lock it behind having to craft your bedrolls and campsite, to keep it from being too mobile and making where you set up be a real choice, but the game would benefit from having something that creates a more "adventure"-y feel. Right now it feels more like random wandering, and I think giving players the ability to create their own slice of home while they're far away from any town, and making them live off the land would really add to the grand adventure feel.

I can understand that some people would want this to be distinct from Minecraft, but I really think the game would benefit greatly from allowing the player to leave their mark on the world, and having things like a farming system.

On a side note, the game's terrain generator is really good. I'm always impressed by how good the environments the game creates looks.

Also, apologies for any typos. I'm on my phone and SwiftKey likes to mess with me from time to time.

He has stated that eventually he wants player housing as a feature, which will be nice. Maybe allowing players to add crafting areas and teleport stones to their house would be nice. Just not quite sure what you could do for farming, unless you could create re-spawning bushes/minerals deposits or heartflowers/ginseng I guess.

subtleglitch

Neo Member
Managed to create an account and purchase the game yesterday :) Can't wait to play this over the weekend with my boyfriend, as it looks like a lot of fun!

Also, does anyone have any links to 1080p or higher res wallpapers for Cube World? I did a quick search last night, and came back with no results :/
Cheers!

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member

Mount speed is way too slow in genera. Hang glider and boat speed seem ok. Would not mind them faster though.

ZenVolta

Managed to create an account and purchase the game yesterday :) Can't wait to play this over the weekend with my boyfriend, as it looks like a lot of fun!

Also, does anyone have any links to 1080p or higher res wallpapers for Cube World? I did a quick search last night, and came back with no results :/
Cheers!

Nothing came up on google and since we cant hide the hud it makes using in game shots ugly. =(

I'm having a really weird issue with Cube World on my work PCs. CW works perfectly for the first few minutes when I make a new character, but after wandering the world a bit it starts to crawl to unplayable levels. I've Tried going into my nvidia control and setting it to either integrated or nvidia card, but neither make a difference. I don't get it.

[Edit]: So I'm playing this on one of our spare Engineering PCs, and looking at the performance manager, it's maxing out all 4 of my processor's cores. On an i7... They need to optimize this fucking code.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm having a really weird issue with Cube World on my work PCs. CW works perfectly for the first few minutes when I make a new character, but after wandering the world a bit it starts to crawl to unplayable levels. I've Tried going into my nvidia control and setting it to either integrated or nvidia card, but neither make a difference. I don't get it.

[Edit]: So I'm playing this on one of our spare Engineering PCs, and looking at the performance manager, it's maxing out all 4 of my processor's cores. On an i7... They need to optimize this fucking code.
Minecraft also had performance problems right? And I thought the general thing people blamed was Java...but isn't Cube World made with C++ from the ground up?

He has stated that eventually he wants player housing as a feature, which will be nice. Maybe allowing players to add crafting areas and teleport stones to their house would be nice. Just not quite sure what you could do for farming, unless you could create re-spawning bushes/minerals deposits or heartflowers/ginseng I guess.

Yeah, I've seen the house-making plans, but I'm cautious about it since it's module-based. Regarding farming, he could introduce a larger number of plants, and create different buff-foods to craft them into.

Blizzard

Banned
Stupid question. I just bought the game, and I see there are URLs for both the my games page and to buy the alpha. But is there anywhere on the actual Picroma site that links to either of those pages? It seems weird to have to bookmark the My Games page instead of being able to log in and just have a link to your games. *edit* Oops, it appeared on my dropdown menu under my name now, though I still don't know a link to the buy page. Nevermind!

ZenVolta

Stupid question. I just bought the game, and I see there are URLs for both the my games page and to buy the alpha. But is there anywhere on the actual Picroma site that links to either of those pages? It seems weird to have to bookmark the My Games page instead of being able to log in and just have a link to your games. *edit* Oops, it appeared on my dropdown menu under my name now, though I still don't know a link to the buy page. Nevermind!

The buy page link is the second post on the main site.

Have you tried Full screening the game? That should help force the 3D clock on the GFX and could help a bit. Also I would try shutting it all down and truning it back on. I was having an issue with OBS and Cube World but after a restart it cleared up.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Is there something better than the iron lamp eventually? . It get's way too dark at night. Having to run back to an inn before nightfall is starting to become a pain.

Nuklear

Banned
Is there something better than the iron lamp eventually? . It get's way too dark at night. Having to run back to an inn before nightfall is starting to become a pain.

Seed: 13375 is where you can get a yellow lamp off a vendor in the closest city. It makes night time pretty tolerable. Otherwise you'll just have to find a city in your current map that has a better lamp. It could take a very long time.

docbon

The iron lamps you find in cities have a quality rating that can range from white (worst) to yellow (best). The higher the quality, the larger the light radius.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Seed: 13375 is where you can get a yellow lamp off a vendor in the closest city. It makes night time pretty tolerable. Otherwise you'll just have to find a city in your current map that has a better lamp. It could take a very long time.
The iron lamps you find in cities have a quality rating that can range from white (worst) to yellow (best). The higher the quality, the larger the light radius.
I'll try my luck going vendor to vendor. Thanks guys.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Good, now that the communications ice has been broken things may flow more freely.

if I buy at work pc, I can download and install game on home pc right?

Yup, you just log in with your same account at home, use the download link and log in with your account in the launcher.

ZenVolta

I really hate the scaling. Weapons and armor are either over my level or way under. Forcing me to downgrade at a shop. And since upgrading something cost a majillion plat, it becomes worthless.

Edit: Never mind. Looks like I broke it
dNCqsOU.png

moojito

I hope we get a nice trickle of features coming in over the next while. It'd be nice to see the world come to life bit by bit rather than just boom, beta and a thousand new things at once you might miss.

Blizzard

Banned
huh... water mages are kinda OP out of the bat just because you can heal.
I'm okay with this, just started a new water mage. :p (though I haven't even gotten a new level or whatever lets me heal)

I subscribed to the thread. The game looks cool once and I'm glad I was finally able to buy it. The style is neat, and the world design is neat. D3DOverrider fixed the framerate for me, and adjusting camera smoothness down made camera control nice.

I suppose I can probably I can manually back up the Save folder to handle world stuff.

Gloam

I'm worried Jeff might give up and leave the quick look with 'This game is just too fucking hard, can't kill any bees or shit'

It is pretty hard, had a turtle show me what it's like just as I spawned, didn't even manage to get a hit in on him.

Blizzard

Banned
Do you lose anything when you die? I see some mention of multiple respawn statues, and I respawned at one when I died.

Also, about healing, my water mage now can't seem to do anything BUT heal. Previously the left and right click spells were damaging monsters, but now they just heal myself and enemies. I am using the same staff as before, I think.

ZenVolta

Do you lose anything when you die? I see some mention of multiple respawn statues, and I respawned at one when I died.

Also, about healing, my water mage now can't seem to do anything BUT heal. Previously the left and right click spells were damaging monsters, but now they just heal myself and enemies. I am using the same staff as before, I think.

Sounds like you've got a case of the Jesusitus

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I just started having random stuttering today, is anyone else experiencing any kind of stutter/lag/frame drop?

edit: nm, reinstalling the game fixed it.

Blizzard

Banned
Sounds like you've got a case of the Jesusitus
Darnit, I guess I'll have to google. No other water mage has ever had this problem? :p I seriously just get green numbers on everything besides a scarecrow (which gets like gray or yellow numbers and takes no damage).

I tried to hurt some innocent spiked things going from village to village, and attack some random dogs, and they didn't even care!

Top Bottom