• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuomo Declares a State of Emergency for New York City Subways

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/...ares-a-state-of-emergency-for-the-subway.html

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo declared a state of emergency for the subway system on Thursday and said he would sign an executive order to accelerate efforts to improve service, including undertaking badly needed repairs and obtaining new cars and equipment.

Mr. Cuomo said the dismal performance of the system was no longer acceptable and said he had ordered Joseph J. Lhota, the new chairman of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which runs the subway, to provide a reorganization plan for the agency within 30 days, to “design An organization that performs a function,” he said, denouncing the agency’s performance.

Mr. Lhota must also review the agency’s capital plan within 60 days, the governor added. Mr. Cuomo pledged to direct an additional $1 billion for capital improvements.

Mr. Cuomo’s comments came two days after a subway train derailed in northern Manhattan, injuring about three dozen people and raising concerns among commuters that the system had become not only unreliable, but unsafe.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wow. Good.

I just hope this doesn't mean they are shutting down the L for 2 years sooner than next year.

LQX

Ugh, fuck these idiots. They are constantly fixing the subways and never seem to improve them.

NY subways are scary.

And I don't mean the people - I mean the trains, walls, rails, stations, pillars, mysterious leaks, etc... etc...

Minecraft has better looking subways.

Maintaining a system like this must be almost impossible. Everything you do is going to create problems and delays, but it's important to keep them running and in good condition of course.

entremet

NY subways are scary.

And I don't mean the people - I mean the trains, walls, rails, stations, pillars, mysterious leaks, etc... etc...

It's one the oldest and the largest in the world, it's also 24/365/7. Makes it incredibly hard to maintain.

Eegah

So I left NYC about 12 months ago. Is the subway really that bad? I used it daily and thought the service was fairly reliable, save for the occasional early Sunday morning.

NY subways are scary.

Right? I've only rode the subway once or twice, but I remember having some real anxiety while riding them right after seeing the humongous skyscrapers and thousands of people walking around just above these flimsy-looking caverns.

Viewt

Ugh, fuck these idiots. They are constantly fixing the subways and never seem to improve them.

From what I understand, most of the projects lately have centered around surface-level improvements - better train cars, rehabbed stations, etc. But the underlying issues here are with the bones of the system that haven't been updated in like 70 years. So perhaps if they're re-focusing on those areas, things will actually improve (in terms of service)? One can hope.

They need to go to a country with good subways like Japan and either directly copy them, or hire one of the railway companies to design the updates.

cryptic

Great. It really sucks. The r train passed my spot so many times due to cleaning maintenance, making me walk an additional mile past midnight for the longest. Now that they've finished cleaning it still doesn't look any better, it just seems like a show to say that something is happening when nothing really is.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The MTA has always been shit, but I feel like the subway has never run as consistently abysmally, and with as many critical fuckups and breakdowns, as it has over the last 3 or 4 months or so.

KoopaTheCasual

About goddamn time. If lines have to have ass service/shutdown for 2-3 years to completely overhaul, so be it. I'd rather put up with 3 years of misery than a lifetime of disappointment.

So I left NYC about 12 months ago. Is the subway really that bad? I used it daily and thought the service was fairly reliable, save for the occasional early Sunday morning.
Lol you got out just in time. This past year service has taken a spectacular nose-dive. Power-outages, train derails, constant delays and mixed messaging.

In my years as a resident it has never been this bad. By a wide margin.

I love how cuomo has run the MTA for 6 1/2 years. Was running around all these ribbon cutting ceremonies for the second ave subway and now is all of a sudden shocked and dismayed that years of critical maintenance weren't done.

Its his fault but he's a snake who can't take any blame.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's been pretty bad recently. It's been neglected for too long and it's starting to show it's age, which is a nice way of saying it's starting to run like shit. It desperately needs some fixing up.

I hope service gets better. I work in downtown Manhattan by the ferry. 1 hour ride always turns into almost 2 hours due to how slow the trains are in the morning. Don't even get me started how bad the services are at night.

I switched to Citi Bike, but granted my commute for that is pretty straight forward (Penn to Chelsea Market).

Honestly have no idea how you perform repairs and upgrades on a system that moves as many people as it does, while running 24/7

KoopaTheCasual

I love how cuomo has run the MTA for 6 1/2 years. Was running around all these ribbon cutting ceremonies for the second ave subway and now is all of a sudden shocked and dismayed that years of critical maintenance weren't done.

Its his fault but he's a snake who can't take any blame.
This.

I think the recent train derailment (which activated Facebook's "mark if you're safe" feature) forced his hand.

They need to go to a country with good subways like Japan and either directly copy them, or hire one of the railway companies to design the updates.

NYC has 2 times the subway stations and is far older than the toyko subway

Lines like the L and soon to be 7 have upgraded signaling and are much more reliable and faster.

I switched to Citi Bike, but granted my commute for that is pretty straight forward (Penn to Chelsea Market).

Honestly have no idea how you perform repairs and upgrades on a system that moves as many people as it does, while running 24/7

Either total line shutdowns (which is impossible for most of manhattan) or overnight/weekend shutdowns. Its faster and cheaper to do the former.

The DC Metro just finished its "we ignored 40 years of maintenance so now we're going to make everyone's commutes hell for 2 years" phase. Now we have higher fees and shorter operational hours at the other end.

Good luck NYGAF :p

Meh, I haven't had much of an issue on my 7 line commute. A bit crowded at times, the rare meltdown, but nothing too crazy.

Although weekends with limited service sucks.

jstripes

Banned

What Toronto has been doing for the past few years, even though it shuts down at night, is to close a portion of each line for an entire weekend to do upgrades and repairs. (A few hours in the middle of the night is only enough time to unpack and then repack your equipment.)

Ovid

The problem with this is that any major (sometimes even minor) disruption screws up the entire system.

It's not that easy.

prag16

Banned
Y'all ready for 10+ years of repairs that don't do shit but delay and stop lines all together?

Yup. It's already bad enough as it is; whenever I'm in the city I NEVER take the subway. And it'll only get worse before it gets better apparently.

Top Bottom