• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuomo Declares a State of Emergency for New York City Subways

Posting this because it's literally all that has to be said.

DDbXIgtXcAAb7Ct.jpg

Can't wait to have even more subways not running on the weekends then they're already is. This is going to be a sweet 2-3 years coming up.

If they can get their shit together, I'll gladly suffer. Things are only getting worse, and unfortunately drastic measures need to be taken.

Even with it being bad its still far and away the best public transportation system in the US and likely North America. Its a 24/7 Subway system that gets you pretty much everywhere except far out queens .

LJ11

It's an ancient system that wasn't upgraded enough throughout the decades, ridership is now at highs and it's harder than ever to support 6 million riders a day. Left it to rot, but more people rely on it now, good luck fixing this.

It's an ancient system that wasn't upgraded enough throughout the decades, ridership is now at highs and it's harder than ever to support 6 million riders a day. Left it to rot, but more people rely on it now, good luck fixing this.

Same problem we have with NJT. Every day I wonder if it's the day the portal bridge collapses or I'm stuck in the tunnel for 5 hours.

Posting this because it's literally all that has to be said.

DDbXIgtXcAAb7Ct.jpg

They can't increase the cars due to their signaling system.

This is what the L and soon to be 7 train are getting which is why the L train usually is faster, has more trains and breaks down less

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communications-based_train_control

This helps illustrate how the older block based system wastes space between trains and prevents more cars from being run.

FB_vs_MB.jpg

The biggest issue is that to fix the problems your going to have system shutdowns which will piss people off. But they did pretty well with the L train shutdown of involving the community and actually got them to support the full shutdown rather than a partial

They stil haven't fixed the tunnel yet and hasn't that been going on for over a year?

Which tunnel?

LifEndz

Hope something comes of this. I used to have an estimation of how long it would take me to get to work. Now, I honestly don't know when to leave my house to get to work on time. What was regularly a 30 minute train ride to get to the city has become an hour on good days and two hours or more on others. I never checked the mta website before boarding the train, but now it's a must.

And it's summer...can we please get some ac in each subway car.

CrocoDuck

Finally they are doing something. Train has been catastrophic as of late. They made some "aesthetic" repairs (badly needed) on the station I take and it took them a year and a half to do and it looks so half-assed. MTA needs to get their shit together big time.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Ugh, fuck these idiots. They are constantly fixing the subways and never seem to improve them.

just like the bay area, fixing what you got and never thinking about upgrades.

so much for the best transportation system in america.

It's going to be something when there is at total collapse of commuter trains (NYC MTA + NJT/PATH) b/c every head of an organization refused to help the other party.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
just like the bay area, fixing what you got and never thinking about upgrades.

so much for the best transportation system in america.

But how are supposed to improve our infrastructure when our military is so depleted??!!

Schmitty

One can only hope that this means accelerated signal upgrades with late night and weekend closures.

The most reliable train (7) is only on time 77% of the time!

Linkura

What Toronto has been doing for the past few years, even though it shuts down at night, is to close a portion of each line for an entire weekend to do upgrades and repairs. (A few hours in the middle of the night is only enough time to unpack and then repack your equipment.)
Boston does the same thing. It's still a fucking mess but apparently it's still somehow better than NYC's.

They can't increase the cars due to their signaling system.

It's not like they have the cars anyway lol. They're still struggling to replace the almost 60 year old train cars on the C line (and the J/Z lines) because those cars were built like tanks and every newer train car breaks down first.

In fact, I think we are actually getting more A trains with those 60 year old cars... There used to be one 10-car A train with them, now there's two.

This should coincide with some incentives for NYC companies to encourage telecommuting for all jobs tha can tolerate it. I realize that's not even close to everyone (and it's a certain class of jobs) but it could ease congestion for those who absolutely do need to commute.

One can only hope that this means accelerated signal upgrades with late night and weekend closures.

The most reliable train (7) is only on time 77% of the time!

L is 91% and G is 79% and a lot of that "reliability" isn't signal problems its people holding the doors or catching up (skipping a station)

Ovid

I'm using it as an example where they need to close it for repairs, but it's still taking a while and having a massive impact on things.
That traffic will be diverted to the Brooklyn, Williamsburg and Manhattan Bridges. In addition city buses go through that tunnel too. No way that happens.

It's not like they have the cars anyway lol. They're still struggling to replace the almost 60 year old train cars on the C line (and the J/Z lines) because those cars were built like tanks and every newer train car breaks down first.

In fact, I think we are actually getting more A trains with those 60 year old cars... There used to be one 10-car A train with them, now there's two.

I believe they're just shifting the cars around.

This is a cool article on the r32

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/06/...o-the-c-train.html?smid=tw-nytmetro&smtyp=cur

Damn. I was hoping that subway service would get so shitty, people would stop moving here, more people would move out, and the rents would plummet.

megalowho

Not sure how fast they can turn that $1b into tangible improvements but at least it's something.

News like this is making me increasingly wary of moving back out to the boroughs. After years of communing I only take the subway when I can't walk and I don't wanna go back. Delays are getting worse, statistically and anecdotally.

Dude Abides

Banned
Not sure how fast they can turn that $1b into tangible improvements but at least it's something.

News like this is making me increasingly wary of moving back out to the boroughs. After years of communing I only take the subway when I can't walk and I don't wanna go back. Delays are getting worse, statistically and anecdotally.

Same. I was thinking of moving to Brooklyn or Queens when my second kid shows up but I'm leery now.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Why dont they have hours when its closed for maintenance? Like maybe 230am to 430am every morning. Would that help a little?

Can't wait to have even more subways not running on the weekends then they're already is. This is going to be a sweet 2-3 years coming up.

You know what if getting rid of late night trains and a bunch of weekend trains fixes the bullshit problem we've been having, I'm all for it.

Why dont they have hours when its closed for maintenance? Like maybe 230am to 430am every morning. Would that help a little?
The system not being 24 hours would help immensely towards repairs and upgrades if they actually do them. It definitely sucks for people who work early. But this is the MTA and their motto is:

c8e.gif

Lo-Volt

Oh fuck this clown, fuck him.

This didn't have to be an emergency, this didn't have to be jack or shit. Cuomo could have protected transit funding at the state level. He could have acted like he holds the majority of MTA Board seats because he DOES. He could have put more money into projects that aren't the Second Avenue Subway, which gives us THREE subway stops at the cost of billions while everything else rolls over and dies. He could have not been a dick to the rest of us because he doesn't like Bill de Blasio.

Fuck. Andrew. Cuomo.

Fuchsdh

If they actually make meaningful changes, it'll be a long-term net gain for a few years of pain. Won't make living here any more fun, though.

This didn't have to be an emergency, this didn't have to be jack or shit. Cuomo could have protected transit funding at the state level. He could have acted like he holds the majority of MTA Board seats because he DOES. He could have put more money into projects that aren't the Second Avenue Subway, which gives us THREE subway stops at the cost of billions while everything else rolls over and dies. He could have not been a dick to the rest of us because he doesn't like Bill de Blasio.

Fuck. Andrew. Cuomo.

Cuomo wasn't the governor for the last 40 years of underfunding and neglecting the subway (plus his dad was governor when the MTA actually legitimately started making a turnaround back in the 80's so was one of the good ones).

The emergency is needed to actually create organizational changes within the MTA. The MTA has been a bloated bureaucracy that kept getting bigger and bigger while becoming a cesspool of inefficiency and corruption. If Cuomo actually means to make change, prioritizing a restructuring of the MTA is absolutely the right decision.

Let's see if he's actually committed enough to make these changes now or it's just more BS from him.

Lo-Volt

Cuomo wasn't the governor for the last 40 years of underfunding and neglecting the subway (plus his dad was governor when the MTA actually legitimately started making a turnaround back in the 80's so was one of the good ones).

The emergency is needed to actually create organizational changes within the MTA. The MTA has been a bloated bureaucracy that kept getting bigger and bigger while becoming a cesspool of inefficiency and corruption. If Cuomo actually means to make change, prioritizing a restructuring of the MTA is absolutely the right decision.

Let's see if he's actually committed enough to make these changes now or it's just more BS from him.

Andrew Cuomo has been governor for almost two full terms now. So he has already had the opportunity to do that if it actually bothered him with either his board seats or the budget process. He just doesn't like the tweets and wants to run for president, so an infrastructure crisis must be uncomfortable right now. Don't give him a hall pass for this. He literally said he didn't know who controlled the authority last week even though he appoints the chairman! How could you even imply he's credible?

Marvie_3

Banned
Way overdue for this type of reaction. The subways have gotten noticeably worse in just the 2 years I've lived in NYC. Its amazing how useless and inefficient the MTA is.

Andrew Cuomo has been governor for almost two full terms now. So he has already had the opportunity to do that if it actually bothered him with either his board seats or the budget process. He just doesn't like the tweets and wants to run for president, so an infrastructure crisis must be uncomfortable right now. Don't give him a hall pass for this. He literally said he didn't know who controlled the authority last week even though he appoints the chairman! How could you even imply he's credible?

Oh I'm not absolving him of anything. He's definitely fucked up as much as his predecessors but his actions weren't fully responsible for the current state of the subway. I'm just saying that perhaps he finally got the message and is actually taking steps to make some impact changes.

Fuck. Andrew. Cuomo.
Spot on, him and his petty beef with de Blasio is childish.

daegan

They need to go to a country with good subways like Japan and either directly copy them, or hire one of the railway companies to design the updates.

Thing is, Japan has a bunch of rail companies - like the Tokyo Metro is technically the MTA equivalent but if you spend time in Tokyo you'll probably use that, use JR East, maybe even one of the other smaller lines too. Add to that, the trains are shut down from midnight to I think 5am? So they have that time for maintenance.

Zyae

NY Daily News stinks. You are sensationilizing this

Jinroh

When I went to NY in 2005 the subway was closed from 4 to 6 or 7am, was it just maintenance or has it changed since then?

Lol the main thing I hated about living in NYC was the subways. I cannot imagine it not sucking though. It's like cheese on a burger. They belong together.

Top Bottom