• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CYBERPUNK 2077 |OT2| The Last Samurai [>56K Warning_]

Madflavor

They don't really have a precedent for the whole No Man's Sky model - i.e. redoing/revamping core systems - but they certainly do for bringing an awful lot to the game after launch. Just using the Witcher 3 as an example they completely overhauled the menu systems and rebalanced the loot (it was still kind of made pointless by Witcher gear but that's a separate conversation) and added a storage-stash and barber.

Witcher 1 and 2 also received free (for previous owners) "Enhanced Editions" that worked wonders to squash bugs and polish the experiences.

But what are the chances they overhaul stuff like the core behavior of the AI, police, etc.? That's a great question and I'm on the fence as to the answer. What I'd like to think is that an awful lot in this game is "placeholder" stuff (it certainly feels like it is at least) and that, at a certain point in development like six weeks ago, they realized another delay was impossible and stopped work on the actual systems they wanted to implement and instead threw something together that could feasibly ship.

What I actually think is that they'll add some, but not all, of the features you listed and stop short of any major overhauls to core gameplay systems.

But I could be wrong. I'd love to see them pull a Hello Games and see a video promoting the "Car Update," or the "AI Update," all over the place in 2021.

I can see them adding improvements to the AI, but a completely overhaul? Would be nice but realistically I don't see it happening. From my standpoint I think the best thing they can do is:

1. Scrap multiplayer. We don't need it, and the gunplay isn't good enough to really warrant it. Seems like a waste of time and resources when there are MUCH bigger fish to fry.
2. After the two big bug and performance patches in Jan and Feb, add one big patch that adds quality of life features. Barber, gun/car/apartment customization, transmog, etc.
3. Release another patch that fixes or improves the Police AI.
4. Minigames added to the game such as cards, arcades, gambling, etc. Simultaneously this will also help the player feel like they're interacting with the world and NPCs.
5. DLC.

I think these are the most realistic changes that should be expected from them. People should forget about the NPC AI, that's not gonna happen. That would be require a major overhaul to the game. But I think the things listed above would be enough to vastly improve the experience for a lot of people let down by it.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
There's always the possibility that we will get a 20h long DLC where a lot of these issues simply don't occur. Toussaint, for example, runs a lot better than the plain vanilla W3 map, since they had almost an additional year to optimize it.

True! Blood and Wine almost felt like The Witcher 3.5. Even some graphical features seemed better than the main game.

If I had to choose though, I'd rather have them focus on making the existing world better rather than focus on MP and DLC for now. Although free patches don't keep the lights on, I'm aware.

Komatsu

I think these are the most realistic changes that should be expected from them. People should forget about the NPC AI, that's not gonna happen. That would be require a major overhaul to the game.

That's actually not that hard, Madflavor. There a lot of off-the-shelf AI routines they could purchase - CDPR is no stranger to middleware - and bring into the game. Just a simply pathfinding routine would do wonders for the driving in the game.

Loostreaks

I'd honestly be really surprised if they didn't add in some type of way to change your character's appearance.
That's pretty easy by adding this to a mirror in V's apartmen.
What I like about game's vendors is that a lot of them have some additional dialogue with V about their background: kind of makes them feel more "real".
I don't really care about pointless mini-games, but they could've better implemented some world interaction with npcs, instead of flooding the world with all the health items/food/loot. Add drug sellers in alleyways, buy food directly from food stands, drinks from mini-bars, weapon mods, etc. This would hugely improve sense of interacting with non-quest npcs ( and most are already there).
And instead of clearing out NCPD icons, directly tune into police radio from your phone/car and it automatically notifies you to nearby crime activity on your map ( highlighting it on your map and police would show up on it's own, on a timer).
World dynamic, content and exploration is improvement over TW3, but CDPR should really try and more "organically" implement it. ( hell, even Ubisoft is moving away from checklist design..that they invented).

Trunim

Cyberpunk has made me take a break with videogames. It was like the only game I was looking forward to. And now when it's confirmed shit, I guess I'm going into hibernation until Rockstar gets their next game out or fuck me, bethesda surprises us with a good rpg.

I can't think of any good studios left, except Naughty Dog and Santa Monica.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
I had to go into the office today and took yesterday off for family. Fuck I am itching to play again. This thread is keeping me going until tomorrow.

Ivory Blood

o9wrs4r.jpg

GetemMa

I think it's a really good game. It's got mind blowing visuals, some really interesting side quest lines, and the main story arc isn't bad either. But, it's not a great advancement in branching story telling. In that respect it might even be a step back from the Witcher 3. As with the Witcher 3, the combat isn't great either. Not bad, just not great either. The shooting often feels very stiff and I think they over did the looting and crafting aspects to the point where it feels overwhelming but not rewarding.

I have a good gaming rig so my enjoyment of this game wasn't hampered by performance problems. It's a gorgeous game and with DF optimized game settings at 1440p I was getting about 85 fps avg. It's also been a relatively bug free experience about 15 hours in. I've had a couple of crashes and a handful of graphical glitches, but nothing severe. It's obvious they spent all their time on the PC version just to nail down the reviews.

There was a point in my life that all I had was a 360 and a crappy laptop to play games on so I can't in good conscience praise CDPR for their effort here. My friend got this on PS4 and he just gave up trying to play it. The laughs about the technical issues wear off and all you are left with a broken heap of a game and $65 missing from your wallet. I feel for him because he was really looking forward to this game. Last gen consoles are a non-starter, do not buy. You will regret getting this game now on console, any console except XSX.

It's a terrible shame really. There is a lot of good game here buried under a myriad of technical problems and poor yet fixable design choices. As with the Witcher 3, which got a revamped crafting system and revamped combat, and revamped menus after about a year of updates, I suspect this will be a much better game in a year on next gen consoles. Do not buy this game now unless you have a good PC (at least a GTX 1070, anything beyond that).

Madflavor

That's actually not that hard, Madflavor. There a lot of off-the-shelf AI routines they could purchase - CDPR is no stranger to middleware - and bring into the game. Just a simply pathfinding routine would do wonders for the driving in the game.

You probably know more than I do, so I'll take your word for it. I hope they do it though.

Zenaku

Finished the game earlier. It was nice seeing things all come together in the ending, seeing both good things and bad things happen, and know which choices I made (or didn't) led me there. It's the first game to truly make me feel as though my choices mattered.

Now to go back to my second character.

Just now finishing up the Delamain quest line. Man it is so fun to drive around this city on motorcycle. Really love the way vehicles feel here.

Yes motorcycle is by far the best way to get around. Cars are just not responsive enough.

Compared to GTA games there is almost no drawback to being on a bike. In GTA there is always a risk of flying off and suddenly dying when on a bike. Never died due to getting thrown off in CP. Also the collision system is super generous/bugged. I've smashed into cars full speed on a bike and the other car goes flying and my bike is still perfectly fine and planted. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

There is so much junk to pick up in this game. I have ashtrays and bottles of bleach in my inventory.

You get an ability that auto recycles junk as soon as you pick them up. And it takes care of that problem.

For me the issue is food and consumables. Using the and getting rid of them is a pain point!

If I remember correctly The Witcher just had a button that was like consume food. Need that here.

Warablo

I have no idea how I really feel about this game. I guess the cut scenes are good, but the game is way too busy with characters and story all at once.

Also, no idea what I am going to do about my build. Want to be a hacker, but no idea about some of these perks.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
You get an ability that auto recycles junk as soon as you pick them up. And it takes care of that problem.

For me the issue is food and consumables. Using the and getting rid of them is a pain point!

If I remember correctly The Witcher just had a button that was like consume food. Need that here.

I don't recommend you take this perk until a patch comes out. Remember: some "junk" is worth 750 and 1500!

Krisprolls

Banned
You will regret getting this game now on console, any console except XSX.

It runs fine on PS5 too. Especially since 1.04 patch which improved a lot of things. It has no quality mode due to being BC PS4 version, but I'm having a pretty good time mostly at 60 fps, and it doesn't look bad anymore compared to release.

Even PS4 Pro / X1X versions look playable now. Just don't try it on base PS4 / base XBO.

Last edited:

Night.Ninja

Banned
I've been wondering about the whole controversy surrounding this game. How realistically can we expect them to improve on people's complaints about the game? I'm not talking about bugs and performance, that'll obviously get fixed. I'm talking about:
  • Police AI being terrible
  • NPC AI being lifeless
  • Lack of customization options such as changing hairstyle and appearance, customizing weapons/cars/apartment, etc.
  • No transmog
  • Lack of immersive and random things to do in the city such as no minigames, hailing cabs, sitting for some food/drink, gun range, etc.
  • Lack of romance options and prostitutes to bang (This one is funny to me, but also valid I think.)
I mean if they completely resolved, or at the very least improved on all these things, it could turn CP77 into something truly special. But the question is whether or not this will realistically happen. Are they gonna go down the No Man's Sky route, or are they gonna do the bare minimum before moving on to developing Multiplayer and the DLC?

(BTW I say all this as someone who is having a lot of fun. But I can't ignore the complaints from others, nor my own personal feelings after 40+ hours that there's a lot of missed potential here.)

I've been thinking about this for a while and as the poster below says I reckon within the next 6 months all this will be worked out because the base of the game is actually amazing just these little touches that need to be added

As someone who's been buying CDPR games since the halcyon days of the original Witcher physical edition, there is not a single game of theirs that did not get significant overhauls as time went on. Both W1 and W2 had enhanced editions that massively improved the game (both EEs were free for those who bought the base game) and the first 5 patches of W3 changed the inventory system, overhauled storage...

I expect most of the issues to be fixed in the next 6 months.

I do have a couple of things I wished they would do:

1. Custom radio stations on PC, à la GTA. We were promised something to that effect on the CDPR forum about 2 years ago;
  2. New Game +;
  3. Adding ways of customizing one's appearance throughout the game. Barbers, plastic surgeons, the works.

I would love to just to be able to add playlists from Spotify to the radio, I have a synthwave playlist just waiting 😔

I have no idea how I really feel about this game. I guess the cut scenes are good, but the game is way too busy with characters and story all at once.

Also, no idea what I am going to do about my build. Want to be a hacker, but no idea about some of these perks.

If you just want to complete the main story and don't want to grind so much you should just go the guns blazing route. Even on Hard mode this carried me through my first playthrough.

The problem I found with all the cyber mods and hacking stuff is not just cost prohibited; But that its all level restricted!

I beat the game around lvl20. But you can't even equip All the good cyber stuff until way later like lvl30.

For guns there are very OP options at lower to mid levels. There is a sniper rifle you get as a reward out of the panam missions. I got it around lvl16. Basically carried me through the rest of the game to the end! Because outside of bosses it was one shot kills.

After the sniper rifle. A good precision rifle with a high headshot multplier is OP as a second weapon.

For the third weapon slot there are some katanas that are ludicrous damage output with the right build!

Shotguns kind of suck for some reason. Or at least I have not found one that I liked using. There was no super powerfull one hit kill type of shotgun that I found by lvl20. It would take 3+ shots at close range to take down. It does knock enemies down sometimes. But still TTK and range is poor.

Other types of weapons including pistols I am sure there are some OP versions. But not at low or mid lvls from what I saw.

Weapons with the headshot multiplier are just so OP. I junk everything without it.

Last edited:

Loostreaks

If you just want to complete the main story and don't want to grind so much you should just go the guns blazing route. Even on Hard mode this carried me through my first playthrough.

The problem I found with all the cyber mods and hacking stuff is not just cost prohibited; But that its all level restricted!

I beat the game around lvl20. But you can't even equip All the good cyber stuff until way later like lvl30.

For guns there are very OP options at lower to mid levels. There is a sniper rifle you get as a reward out of the panam missions. I got it around lvl16. Basically carried me through the rest of the game to the end! Because outside of bosses it was one shot kills.

After the sniper rifle. A good precision rifle with a high headshot multplier is OP as a second weapon.

For the third weapon slot there are some katanas that are ludicrous damage output with the right build!

Shotguns kind of suck for some reason. Or at least I have not found one that I liked using. There was no super powerfull one hit kill type of shotgun that I found by lvl20. It would take 3+ shots at close range to take down. It does knock enemies down sometimes. But still TTK and range is poor.

Other types of weapons including pistols I am sure there are some OP versions. But not at low or mid lvls from what I saw.

Weapons with the headshot multiplier are just so OP. I junk everything without it.
How high can you max stats? You can get max 6 at beginning and gain one every three levels ( that's 16 points until max level/50)..seems you pretty much have to specialize in one ( if you want to max one perk tree).

Zbone

Neo Member
Played fine on PS5, smooth framerate, no major bugs or crashes, only a few floating items. Graphics are agreat overall. Sometimes they're amazing, but some assets are very poor and sometimes it's a mixed bag. Everything is a little buggy, like small animations and npcs, definitely not a polished game.

I got to the mission with the black fella waiting in the car, there was a police shootout so I helped the cops. After gunning the criminals, no officer thanked me or interected in an interesting way, just the typical fuck off. One of them bugged, and floated on top of some garbage. I tried to mess around but couldn't shoot them. Then I wondered what would happen if I killed the quest guy holding the car door. Turns out game prevents me from aiming at the guy. Then I just emptied a magazine on the fella's car and nothing happened. Really disappointed with interactions and world building. Definitely not revolutionary, but behind what other games have done.

That being said, game looks great and I think I might love it. Will probably put it on hold and play when ps5 version comes out.

base

Banned
It runs fine on PS5 too. Especially since 1.04 patch which improved a lot of things. It has no quality mode due to being BC PS4 version, but I'm having a pretty good time mostly at 60 fps, and it doesn't look bad anymore compared to release.

Even PS4 Pro / X1X versions look playable now. Just don't try it on base PS4 / base XBO.
So you mean they fixed the game with patch 1.04 which was released a few days after the release but still they couldn't fix the game in the last 8 years?

Tschumi

I'm finding it really hard to make a Caucasian character.. all the presets look vaguely asian, anywhere from the fertile crescent to Japan, and while there's nothing wrong with those ethnicities i wanna play as myself and, well, I'm Caucasian. Also, my version of the game doesn't seem to have penis customisation or a nudity option.. ps4 pro, Japanese box.. i wonder what's up with that

HotPocket69

Banned
I'm finding it really hard to make a Caucasian character.. all the presets look vaguely asian, anywhere from the fertile crescent to Japan, and while there's nothing wrong with those ethnicities i wanna play as myself and, well, I'm Caucasian. Also, my version of the game doesn't seem to have penis customisation or a nudity option.. ps4 pro, Japanese box.. i wonder what's up with that

WHITE SUPREMACY

MODS HELP

base

Banned
Being white in 2077 will be prohibited.

I am playing on a Japanese PS4pro. But US version of the game from PSN.

And I do have full nudity. So at least its not region locked by system. Seems to depend on the disc or which regiom store you DLed from.

Tschumi

I am playing on a Japanese PS4pro. But US version of the game from PSN.

And I do have full nudity. So at least its not region locked by system. Seems to depend on the disc or which regiom store you DLed from.
That's annoying.. i don't actually care that the weird Freudian exercise of assigning myself a large dick has been taken out of my hands, but i do feel like I'm getting less for what I've paid for... If there's no nudity in this game because i bought it in Japan.. that's pretty awful, and i hope i can get it as free dlc or something

Last edited by a moderator:
It's strange to me that I am blown away by the game graphically on the Xbox Series X - knowing that in a month or two there will be a full, next-gen version that will look even better.

My only complaints so far:

• Pool and Arcade games aren't playable😔
  • Street vendors for the most part can't be purchased from. I want to buy vinyls and eat all of their delicious food!
  • Lack of mini-games [nothing Gwent-like, either]
  • No Synthwave radio station😲
  • No Crystal Palace missions [I'm still early in the game though - expansions maybe?]
  • The environmental destruction isn't as advertised/promised
  • Shell casings don't stay on-screen
  • It doesn't rain enough [it's too infrequent]
Those are my only bugaboos🤘💯

I think the internet makes everything seem worse, my brother plays on Xbox One and when he sees me on PC he will get mad and say "Guess I'm not playing the real version of this game yet" but he's also 60 hours in and thinks it's one of the best games he's ever played. He won't ask for a refund because he's going to be spending hundreds more hours playing, borked or not. You don't hear much from gamers like him, in fact when I tell him about the arguments I have online about the game he always wants to know "why do you even talk to people like that?"

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Too bad they didn’t take the Resident Evil 2 approach and have multiple versions. I’m surprised nudity is taken so seriously over violence. Can you still decapitate people.

I am warming up to the katana. Some enemies especially harder enemies go down much faster with it. Plus you can check to see if you can mutilate their corpses when they’re dead.

Thoseboxing guys are my favorite. They just run up to you swinging. I’m enjoying it, but I can’t say I’m blown away by it. It looks good, but it isn’t mind blowing. I do want to keep playing it. However, I have a strong inclination that Capcom, Square-Enix and From Software will make up for the journey I wanted out of this.

Hey so it says my breach protocol and quick hacking are at "max level" at level 10 even though it also shows them possibly going up to level 20.

Is this because my intelligence stat is 10? So to get hacking to level 11 I would need an intelligence stat of 11, and so on?

KO7

It's strange to me that I am blown away by the game graphically on the Xbox Series X - knowing that in a month or two there will be a full, next-gen version that will look even better.

Same brother, I’m blown away graphically and aurally. Looking forward to the next-gen patch, as well as eventually upgrading from my early adopted 4K TV to an LG CX perhaps, down the road.

cudiye

I’m sorry but I have to say it. I am finding this game very boring. This game should have been in 3rd person or even have more cutscenes in 3rd person idk. An open world story driven game thats exclusively in first person just doesn’t work for me. Not to mention bullet sponge enemies, lacklustre stealth mechanics, laughable [melee] combat and average at best gunplay mechanics. Will come back to this game when the proper ps5 patch comes in.

TIGERCOOL

I’m sorry but I have to say it. I am finding this game very boring. This game should have been in 3rd person or even have more cutscenes in 3rd person idk. An open world story driven game thats exclusively in first person just doesn’t work for me. Not to mention bullet sponge enemies, lacklustre stealth mechanics, laughable [melee] combat and average at best gunplay mechanics. Will come back to this game when the proper ps5 patch comes in.
sounds like you played it for 5 hours or so.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone figure out how gorilla arms are supposed to help you open doors?

I have 16 body, ran into a door that has a 20 body skill check. With gorilla arms the skill check is still at 20 and it doesn’t add anything to my body attribute?

Top Bottom