• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daisy Ridley Thought Rey’s Parentage Was Revealed in ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity, what hints in the movie points out that she might be Obi's daughter? I never considered this possibility, just Luke or Han

Not going to lie, most theories I've seen regarding Obi Wan being the dad has come from people who are really desperate not to have incest get in the way of their Kylo Ren/Rey ship. :p

Jedi2016

I suppose it's easier when you already know, so the little clues and hints they dropped in TFA stand out like a beacon. The rest of us are in the dark for another year.

sphagnum

Banned
My personal hope, just because I want Mara back in some capacity, is for her to be Luke and Mara's daughter but Mara dies somehow and Luke thinks Rey is dead too until she shows up at the end of TFA.

Oh, and I don't think Rey has to have a connection to Kylo. That thing in the interrogation happened because the force is unusually strong with Rey, no other reason.

I haven't listened to Abrams commentery on the new blu ray of Force Awakens, but supposedly he says on there that
Kylo has heard something about her before. Exact quote:

"One of the new relationships that we were focusing on was between Kylo Ren and Rey. They’ve never met but he's heard of this girl."

Elandyll

Banned
I'm going to go with he Luke theory.
Not only does she seem to have a peculiar affinity with Luke and Anakin's lightsaber, but her "origin" closely mirror's Luke (Taooine) in more ways than one.

It's not that far fetched to imagine that, being hunted, Luke and her mother left her behind in the most unlikely of places (junkyard), but with someone staying behind and keeping an eye on her from affar (imo Von Sydow's character. Who also happens to have Luke's map). This mirror's Obi Wan staying behind to keep an eye on Luke, and eliminates mostly the "random" factor in many ways (he would live near her camp and the particular junkyard she happens to work at) with BB8, Poe, and Finn, just hapenning to end up near a powerful Force Sensitive Woman who just so happens to be in tune with Luke's weapon.

If she had been one of Luke's students, ad I've read, Kylo would definitely know her, while it would make sense for Luke to isolate her from students who may turn dark. Her parents may have also wished to avoid risking her following in the footsteps of het grandfather.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Seriously, all the people ITT who said Luke, answer this please:

Easy. Luke dropped her off with some people he knows to raise her. Those two people would be her parents, just as an adopted person would call the people that adopted them their parents.

Luke would still be the sperm donor.

sphagnum

Banned
I haven't listened to Abrams commentery on the new blu ray of Force Awakens, but supposedly he says on there that
Kylo has heard something about her before. Exact quote:

"One of the new relationships that we were focusing on was between Kylo Ren and Rey. They’ve never met but he's heard of this girl."

He heard about her because that one officer told him a girl hijacked the Falcon, then Snoke talked about the Awakening.

The more important part is that he never met her before.

duckroll

not trying to dump on her but i think she's talking out of her ass. movie's been ripped to shreds frame to frame, nothing resembling an overt "hint" has come up

Yes I'm sure the actress who is playing the character, and who would have worked in numerous scripts, shot scenes with context the audience might not have, is talking out of her ass when she says something was obvious to her but not anyone else. Amazing logic.

Also, there are quite a number of hints in the visions and flashbacks which suggest Obiwan. So...

binks-3.png

sphagnum

Banned
It's not that far fetched to imagine that, being hunted, Luke and her mother left her behind in the most unlikely of places (junkyard), but with someone staying behind and keeping an eye on her from affar (imo Von Sydow's character. Who also happens to have Luke's map).

Lor San Tekka got the map from the Sacred Order of Ramulus which used the Great Eye of Kalur to form it. He's probably not on Jakku because of Rey but because of the weird religious mystical stuff on Jakku that the books have been hinting at, since he's a member of the Church of the Force.

Unless Rey is tied to that, of course.

He heard about her because that one officer told him a girl hijacked the Falcon, then Snoke talked about the Awakening.

The more important part is that he never met her before.

I think there's more to it than that. Why does the mention of a girl helping Finn immediately peak his interest? Why does he go into the woods for her while everyone else attacks Maz's place? Why doesn't he torture her like he does Poe, calling her his guest and revealing his face to her?

I think there's something special about her that he had heard of.

Who will carry on the skywalker line if kylo dies? Isnt star wars about the skywalkers? I guess they could redeem Kylo...

There is zero chance he isn't redeemed by the end. Zero. If he lives or not is the question. They even started setting his redemption up in this one with him being torn, and Leia sensing good in him still. So, at least they're not going to pull it out of their asses like they did with Vader in Jedi.

Chaplain

It's Luke. Mark Hamill gave the impression that he is her dad at Oxford University earlier this year. It happens during the Q&A session.

Lor San Tekka got the map from the Sacred Order of Ramulus which used the Great Eye of Kalur to form it. He's probably not on Jakku because of Rey but because of the weird religious mystical stuff on Jakku that the books have been hinting at, since he's a member of the Church of the Force.

Unless Rey is tied to that, of course.

You made all that up didn't you?

I don't hate the Luke theory but it just seems super obvious. Now not everything has to be this elaborate complex secret or anything but that just seems like it's almost too predictable.

Then again this movie also featured essentially yet another Death Star.

duckroll

What if Obiwan had a fling once and had a daughter he didn't know abuot, and said daughter at one point had a fling with Han Solo, and they had a daughter he didn't know about, and this daughter finally had a fling with Luke Skywalker, and had a daughter he didn't know about.

Rey Obi-wan Solo Skywalker.

What if Obiwan had a fling once and had a daughter he didn't know abuot, and said daughter at one point had a fling with Han Solo, and they had a daughter he didn't know about, and this daughter finally had a fling with Luke Skywalker, and had a daughter he didn't know about.

Rey Obi-wan Solo Skywalker.

Ben Larry Steve Obi Wan Kenobi

Just out of curiosity, what hints in the movie points out that she might be Obi's daughter? I never considered this possibility, just Luke or Han

Thr Force has, generally, been shown to be genetic. Han and Leia (nor Chewie) seem to acknowledge her as family and Maz knows about her but tells her that her family abandoned her and that she should give up on them and instead seek Luke (insinuating he is not her family). During the Force Vision she has Obi Wan's voice (at both young and old versions) tell her that her path is just begun.

The reason why people think Obi Wan is a strong possibility IF she isn't directly related to Skywalkers is because Obi Wan has been a central character in relation to the Skywalkers since their story began. He was essentially Anakin's older brother and Luke's Uncle. He played a larger role in the Skywalker story than anyone else that isn't a Skywalker.

It's Luke. Mark Hamill gave the impression that he is her dad at Oxford University earlier this year. It happens during the Q&A session.

He also said the Luke's sexuality hasn't been revealed. Hamill has been around these types of theories long enough that he knows how to tease and entice fans. Anything he hints or suggests is grain of salt territory until it's revealed as canon through the story.

XAL

I still think she's Han/Leia daughter. It's the only way this story has some weight. Fighting your evil cousin doesn't have as much weight as fighting your evil, irredeemable brother.

Why would they show zero reaction to her then...

vertopci

Guys, Rey is clearly the daughter of Revan. That's how they are going to tie in the best star wars story to the movie universe!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It pretty much has to be Luke/Someone or Han/Leia for the sake of it being a Skywalker and giving a connection to Kylo.

Problem is, you can find legitimate reasons why it shouldn't be either.

I'd think the simplest explanation would be that after Kylo crapped on the new Jedi order, Luke took the last survivor (his daughter) and hid her away before retiring to exile himself.

Given her less than coincidental find of Luke's lightsaber (much like the ice cave that had old Spock in it) and JJ Abram's illogical and rather annoying fixation on "it's just fate!" I could easily see Ren being Luke's daughter.

sphagnum

Banned
I'd think the simplest explanation would be that after Kylo crapped on the new Jedi order, Luke took the last survivor (his daughter) and hid her away before retiring to exile himself.

Rey was dropped off on Jakku before Ben turned to the dark side. He didn't switch sides until at most 6 years before TFA.

Gnome

Would she actually know though? Like, I don't see how her knowing would be necessary in the script or directing of TFA.

I figure she's an orphan, but connected to the Church of the Force folks in some way. Hidden after Ben goes postal in Luke's academy.

Leia would know if Luke had a kid. Han would've known.

TheXbox

I figure she's an orphan, but connected to the Church of the Force folks in some way. Hidden after Ben goes postal in Luke's academy.

Leia would know if Luke had a kid. Han would've known.
They knew and they think she's dead, just like everyone else. Han didn't even know she had Force powers. If she's Luke's kid Leia probably figured out in TFA and sent her to Luke for that very reason. "Look, you deadbeat, here's your stupid kid, now get off your ass and help save the galaxy."

XAL

Han quickly takes a special liking to her. Leia certainly has an odd reaction to her, shrugging her old friend who just lost his partner off, to hug someone she has never seen before.

Still doesn't explain why they don't embrace her as a daughter.

It's not a Padme situation where the parents don't know the daughter exists, she was left deliberately on that planet.

You'd figure one or both of them would say "oh shit sorry for leaving you on that planet, good to have you back".

She HAS to be a Skywalker. That only leaves a few possibilities.

She's Luke's daughter

She's Leia's daughter

She's a clone

She's a new "chosen one" birth

Still doesn't explain why they don't embrace her as a daughter.

It's not a Padme situation where the parents don't know the daughter exists, she was left deliberately on that planet.

You'd figure one or both of them would say "oh shit sorry for leaving you on that planet, good to have you back".

If she is their daughter, there was a reason for her being sent away from them. Revealing it to her could undo whatever good it has done for all we know.

I mean, it was Obi-Wan's voice in her vision, right?

My guess is she's a Kenobi.

Again, she hears multiple voices. Why are people so hung up on hearing his? Of the choices of her being Luke's, Leia's, simply an orphan, or a Kenobi, being a Kenobi is the least likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom