• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls |OT| Monokuma and Co.

You know this release my mind went blank on, forgot to pre-order (was thinking it was coming September 8th). Luckily Day One shipping is like $4 on Amazon so if you want to get it tomorrow there is still a chance.

Preordered my copy from BestBuy weeks ago
website said I would get it on release day

it hasn't even shipped

iTMkvjH.jpg
Best Buy has crapped the bed on pre-orders. Got mine the day after when Rare Replay came out.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
I'm still playing through the game for review for my site (which doesn't give scores) and I'm at the end of the third chapter. So these are more like "work in progress" impressions than a full review.

But so far, I'm pretty disappointed in it. The shooting segments aren't flat out bad, but they aren't really any good either. It gets a little more interesting with the puzzle room sections, but even then, they aren't that hard and you don't even really need to "beat" them. Toko exists as a limited use "win" button and you can use her a lot. It's like the developers realized that a lot of fans would be playing this game for the story instead of the shooting stuff, but if so, why did they bother to create a half-assed action game and just make it an adventure game like the others?

The story itself is fine, but nothing has really happened that grabbed me the way the previous two games have. It's neat to see the outside world but outside of the basic premise it's the usual post-apocalyptic stuff except with sordid children instead of zombies. Some environments are boring. Some environments are really cool and colorful and surreal, as they should be.

The game sorely lacks a central villain. Monokuma was always a threatening presence in the main games because he was cracking terrible jokes one second then murdering people the next. Ironically in this game he's EVERYWHERE since almost every enemy is based on him, but none of his personality is. Instead the roles are taken up by the five kids, who haven't proven themselves to be much more than weird and irritating (although I like their casting as RPG heroes).

There is some stuff that's really dark and the sort of thing I've not really seen dealt with in a video game and I'm still sorting how I feel about it. On a broad level though, Danganronpa isn't just "dark", it's "darkly comedic", it's a series where someone is murdered by getting dipped in tempura then fried in a volcano. Outside of a few goofy references for fans there hasn't really been much here that's funny.

Komaru by design isn't all that interesting of a character (like Makoto was at the beginning) and Toko was far from my favorite either. Most of the DR characters are one dimensional and that was never particularly a problem since there are so many of them. But here all Toko has done so far is complain, berate Komaru, and fantasize constantly about Byakuya-sama. I'm at the point where it's showing some character development, but this has been like ten hours of this stuff so far.

The cutscenes are really inconsistent, some are handled with the in-game 3D engine with character portraits, some are pre-rendered CG in a similar style, some are cutscenes done in the style of the anime, and some are the animations using "flat" characters like the execution scenes in the other games.

The game has the "Kingdom Hearts problem" where it's really weirdly paced, you walk for a few seconds, get a cutscene, walk a few more, maybe shoot a few more guys, then get another one. It gets a little smoother in the later chapters, at least.

I think the Game Informer review is too harsh, but unless the game gets massively better in the later chapters, I'm really baffled by all of the 8s/9s, and this is coming from someone who loves the first two games.

Gvitor

People who complained about the repetition of
"The Most Tragic, Most Awful Event in Human History"
in DR1 and 2 will have a full plate with
"I'm just a normal girl"
in AE.

FluxWaveZ

This really is a life lesson isn't it? I can't think of a time where that isn't the case. Maybe Metal Gear?

I bet most people haven't played the Persona games in release order, for example. There are situations in story based games with continuity where it's better than others, though I'd always recommend release order.

Again, DR2 spoilers aren't a big deal in DR:AE, but it's pointless to play things in chronological order.

People who complained about the repetition of
"The Most Tragic, Most Awful Event in Human History"
in DR1 and 2 will have a full plate with
"I'm just a normal girl"
in AE.

Yeah, there's probably more of the latter in DR:AE compared to the other thing for DR1 and 2 since now it's a persistent theme throughout the game. It's pretty clunky at times, but it does work more than it doesn't.

Roto13

You should play VLR as well, I think its much better then 999. Also yeah don't play AE before 2.

GameInformer is definitely reputable, I'm not sure I will agree with this review by them but they are not just a flyer. They break news and have some of the best previews in the industry with their cover stories. Just one potentially bad review shouldn't tank them as "just some GameStop flyer".

They break news the same way IGN does. They secure exclusive PR stuff early by being a fluff magazine.

Firestar

So I just got my copy of another episode, but I was planning on reading Danganronpa Zero. Will I get any extra enjoyment if I read through Zero first or can I just do it after? All I know is that zero is a prequel to the series, I've been trying to avoid spoilers

Moonlight

Banned
Holy shit, this came out of nowhere. For some reason I thought this was a mid-September release. I didn't expect it so soon!

Sooo excited.

So I just got my copy of another episode, but I was planning on reading Danganronpa Zero. Will I get any extra enjoyment if I read through Zero first or can I just do it after? All I know is that zero is a prequel to the series, I've been trying to avoid spoilers

Lucky dog! This waiting for my LE only further invokes despair upon my being....

Literally just hopped into the Dagwood Gramma series recently. Finished the 1st one just two days ago. Really enjoyed it even if I felt it fell apart by the end. The game was overall extremely predictable though, nothing crazy compared to something like the VLR series, but I love the trope-y charm of the series. Started up DR2 yesterday and am eager to progress through it and am pretty excited to see that a third is already coming out.

Yomidi

Literally just hopped into the Dagwood Gramma series recently. Finished the 1st one just two days ago. Really enjoyed it even if I felt it fell apart by the end. The game was overall extremely predictable though, nothing crazy compared to something like the VLR series, but I love the trope-y charm of the series. Started up DR2 yesterday and am eager to progress through it and am pretty excited to see that a third is already coming out.

While I do find the first one pretty predictable, the second one has some serious "holy shit" moments.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmmm, I wonder if we'll get another Hotaru no Nikki LE situation where the NISA Store will say "processing" yet suddenly appear in my mailbox a few days later. If I remember, I usually get my LE 2-3 days after Tuesday/its official release.

That LE is really cool but it's a bit too much money (EU Nisa...) and I don't know if the game is good or not. I'll wait a bit for some opinions/reviews to get mine

Novocaine

Ugh. Have to wait for my LE to ship from Europe to Australia. I wonder if we will get the themes the JP store got. I'm quite fond of my rebirth3 theme but I would never turn down a Monokuma.

Ugh. Have to wait for my LE to ship from Europe to Australia. I wonder if we will get the themes the JP store got. I'm quite fond of my rebirth3 theme but I would never turn down a Monokuma.

I can't speak for your region but NIS America hinted pretty heavily that the theme would be coming in NA. While the Vita has only a small selection of themes after certain games, we did finally get the Freedom Wars theme, so I expect the DR:AE theme will come out as well

Roto13

A while ago, someone asked NISA on the PS Blog about the Vita themes and they said something like "Stay tuned for an announcement soon!" Unless that announcement is "Fuck you guys, you can't have them," they're probably coming.

Hikami

NISA tweeted this image

Didn't see anything about it in the op, anyone know what the different difficulty modes affect?
---

Anyways, so hyped for this. Trying to get everything else done and out of the way so I can play it all day tomorrow. Amazon needs to ship it to me already.

NISA tweeted this image

Didn't see anything about it in the op, anyone know what the different difficulty modes affect?
---

Anyways, so hyped for this. Trying to get everything else done and out of the way so I can play it all day tomorrow. Amazon needs to ship it to me already.

Genocide mode is "Easy Mode" where you can utilize
Genocide Jack
without limitation to get through the story faster. Komaru Mode is "Normal Mode" so not too hard, not too easy. Despair Mode is obviously "Hatd Mode" and you get less truth bullets and health but higher rewards

BTA

Still Pending Verification so I sent NISA's support a quick e-mail; would have called but I'm out all day and can't wait if they're busy. If it is actually some issue with my card and not just a mistake, I'm pretty annoyed that they didn't notify me about it themselves so that I could fix it, since I'll be getting it even later now because of that.

FluxWaveZ

I'm like 3 hours in. Loving the story, but the gameplay so far is not great.

So, basically a normal danganronpa game

Yep.

If Danganronpa 3 gets the gameplay right, it would be more fantastic than previous games have already been. I know Kodaka's style is story first and slapping the gameplay on afterwards, but it can't just be a throwaway thing.

I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up for this to come a day early like The Firefly Diary and Ar No Surge. Oh well, I just hope it's at my house waiting for me after work tomorrow!

Firestar

Yep.

If Danganronpa 3 gets the gameplay right, it would be more fantastic than previous games have already been. I know Kodaka's style is story first and slapping the gameplay on afterwards, but it can't just be a throwaway thing.

I agree, although I was partly hoping with them taking a break from normal danganronpa gameplay they'd have the chance to make it good this time from the ground up. The story/characters/world is more than enough for me to push through the gameplay and still enjoy myself though.
If DR3 can even keep the story as good as previous games while just finally getting the gameplay good it would really be an easy 10/10 game

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Anyone receive shipping notices from NIS America for the LE yet?
Just checked & nope. I'm wondering if it'll be like Hotaru no Nikki & we don't get a shipping notice and just suddenly appears in a few days.

........actually, could've sworn I got the LE for HoN on launch day, based on my posts in the OT & such. Would be amazing if it arrived tomorrow.

Just checked & nope. I'm wondering if it'll be like Hotaru no Nikki & we don't get a shipping notice and just suddenly appears in a few days.

........actually, could've sworn I got the LE for HoN on launch day, based on my posts in the OT & such. Would be amazing if it arrived tomorrow.

Yeah, that was the case with me when the Hotaru no Nikki LE shipped. Mine came a day early in fact and my shipping notice came a day after release.

Someone on the NIS forums stated they called the customer service and was told their order had actually shipped, so here's hoping. But...if necessary, I'll pick up a standard copy from my Gamestop in the morning on the way to Japanese class then, when my LE arrives, I'll return the unopened game from inside the LE

Yomidi

While I agree that the gameplay was always the weakest part of the Danganronpa games, but the first two were VNs so I could stand the weak gameplay, while this one seems to have a lot more gameplay. I hope the gameplay isn't so weak.

BTA

Still Pending Verification so I sent NISA's support a quick e-mail; would have called but I'm out all day and can't wait if they're busy. If it is actually some issue with my card and not just a mistake, I'm pretty annoyed that they didn't notify me about it themselves so that I could fix it, since I'll be getting it even later now because of that.

Ok, now I'm kinda pissed at NISA. Apparently "Pending Verification" meant "Pending verification that it's cool that your shipping and billing addresses are different". They haven't shipped my LE yet because of this nonsense. At no point did they tell me that it was an issue that I had to deal with before shipping; they only explained this when they responded to my e-mail. Their FAQ doesn't even list this as a possible order status. Hopefully this will show up by the end of the week, I guess. If it doesn't, I'll be even more pissed because that means I missed a big stretch of free time right before I become extremely busy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
What did Shade Inc develop?

"Bullet Girls"

........ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

...in any case, I wonder if the LEs shipped on the day the charge was placed on your bank account. I noticed a charge on Friday (though I think it was a few days earlier, can't remember), so maybe it'll arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. NIS America has usually been quick for me on LEs, arriving either on launch day or a few days after.

Clov

Still waiting for my copy to ship from Amazon.ca. I have it as part of a big E3 order, though it hasn't even said that it's preparing to ship yet. Anyone else order from Amazon.ca? Are you in the same despairing situation as me?

FluxWaveZ

Still waiting for my copy to ship from Amazon.ca. I have it as part of a big E3 order, though it hasn't even said that it's preparing to ship yet. Anyone else order from Amazon.ca? Are you in the same despairing situation as me?

My Amazon.ca copy shipped earlier.

D-Man

My order from Amazon finally shipped. DR2 was one of my GotYs of 2014, so I'm really excited to finally dive into a new Danganronpa game. I saw some spoilers back when the game released in Japan, but it's all a blur now and I can't remember anything significant.

prnamo.gif

Top Bottom