• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DanganRonpa: Trigger Happy Havoc Spoiler Thread - Farewell, spoiler tags of despair!

PK Gaming

I said i'd hook you up with some DR art, so here:

tumblr_mpwa3jT3tx1qeg9tqo2_250.jpg
tumblr_mpwa3jT3tx1qeg9tqo1_250.jpg

Beta vs Final

tumblr_mlw5lkX9OQ1qm30i8o1_500.jpg

Sakura throughout the ages

tumblr_mu45vvBBV11ri8gpjo1_1280.png

Weekly Despair Magazine (Source)

tumblr_mz494fWYja1syyse4o1_500.png

Super High School Level Soldier

tumblr_n465kmImhn1stgo04o1_500.png

...it speaks for itself, doesn't it?

(Source)

tumblr_muoaziezy31ri8gpjo1_500.png

BlahblahFukawadabestblahblah (Source)

tumblr_n4sxjbJ4Hf1r4uskmo1_1280.jpg

Super High School Level Despair Source

tumblr_mpeyabuYNL1ri8gpjo1_1280.jpg
VS
tumblr_mpeyabuYNL1ri8gpjo2_1280.jpg

Source

CelestexKyoko by one of the anime staff members.

I actually have a disgusting amount of DR2 fanart, but I don't want to mess with your preconceptions going in. I've got your backs when the SDR2 spoiler thread goes up!

Sonia_%2811%29.png

I dare someone to use Beta!Hifumi as an avatar :p

And dang, Sakura was super cute before she bulked up like crazy. Ah well, I'm sure she wouldn't be as awesome had she been rail-thin for the events of DR.

Nachos

I'd said i'd hook you up with some DR art, so here:

CelestexKyoko by one of the anime staff members.

I actually have a disgusting amount of DR2 fanart, but I don't want to mess with your preconceptions going in. I've got your backs when the SDR2 spoiler thread goes up!

Sonia_%2811%29.png

I feel like you've just been building up the desire to gather fanart for forever, but now that you're free, you've started gathering them up like a madman.

I dare someone to use Beta!Hifumi as an avatar :p

And dang, Sakura was super cute before she bulked up like crazy. Ah well, I'm sure she wouldn't be as awesome had she been rail-thin for the events of DR.

I would've liked Hifumi better if kept his beta design (though I think that goes for a lot of the DISTRUST-era designs). If they're going to make fun of otaku, they should've at least used the design that both looks better and would allow them to go all the way with it.

cnet128

Banned
Unfortunately is pretty difficult to mix the P3 character tropes with the characters left remaining of Danganronpa (1st game at least, im not going to look for anything of the second until it releases). Chihiro with Fuuka is the easiest one (even though, well, that thing lol) but the rest of the characters are difficult to match.

Tricky, perhaps, but still doable I'd say. This would be my attempt:

Minato - Togami (or Ishimaru)
Akihiko - Ishimaru (or Togami)
Junpei - Hiro (because they're both questionably lovable idiots)
Shinjiro - Sakura (because they're both intimidating, lol)
Ken - Hifumi (because they both suck)

Mitsuru - Celeste (because...just look at them)
Aegis - Chihiro (because they're both cute, technologically-themed and not real girls)
Fuuka - Mukuro (because they...both have short hair?) or Fukawa (because they're both introverts and, uh, have similar names)
Yukari - Fukawa or Mukuro (because...process of elimination)

Some of thos drawings are pretty amazing. Love the sisters one. The beta one is pretty interesting and Sakura is pretty good looking before she got bulked up lol

So here's a fun bit a friend of mine tipped me off to.

I think the demo for the original game has already been discussed a bit in this thread, but for those who don't know, the demo released prior to the original release of Danganronpa was essentially the same as the first case in the full release (though with parts cut out), but with Hiro as the first victim (and Mukuro still alive). I had always assumed this meant that Leon was once again the killer, but I recently learned that this isn't the case. I guess I'll spoiler tag the rest for those who don't want to spoiled on the... um... demo that you'll probably never play. But what the hell, I guess.

In the demo, the killer is actually Hifumi, which is only indicated by a remark Hifumi makes in passing about getting potato chips, and later finding potato chip grease on the handle of the lint roller. So that's pretty neat.

Beyond that, though, there was a manga adaptation of the demo that saw very limited release alongside the initial release of the game. It's yet to be translated and it's very short, but it actually depicts the trial in its entirety, while the demo version cuts off in the middle. So yes, this manga also depicts Hifumi's execution. Which is very gratifying.

So yeah, go look for that, if you get the chance!

Don't really like this, I know Hifumi is hated becuase of the person he kills, but apart from that, he is possibly with Takao, one of the only really friendly males in the whole game. And he is really fun, his serious voice is awesome and he is needed during hte majority of the game because he is great.
I would have prefered Yasuhiro being killed by Leon and take those shitty characters out of the way from the beggining. That or Sayako being Yasuhiro's killer (pretty cool trial that would have been) and then Leon being killed by Hifumi and Takao lives. That way, even if killed, Sayako and Hifumi would have had redemption becuase they killed the worst characters while Takao stays till the end.

Well I imagine mostly cause the most likely choices have already been used for P4 characters.

Akihiko = Ishimaru YES
Fuuka = Chihiro YES
Aegis = Mukuro Didn't though about her, becuase she never really apapers like that but YES

Then the rest have already been used like
Mitsuri = Kirigiri Mmm, yeah
Yukari = Aoi? Nope, maybe Sayako, she doesn't look and neither acts like Aoi
Junpei = Leon? YES totally, Junpei IS a more likable Leon, but I already used him sadly for Yosuke (poor chap, because he didn't deserved to be such a shitty character)
Shinjiro = Mondo? Yeah, probably
I guess Minato = Makoto Yep
Koromaru = Monokuma? Mehhh, I know they are mascots, but I don't see a fun resemblance to draw them
Ken = Yamada/Hagakure/someone who don't like Yasuhiro because both are shitty, but apart from that he is a terrible mix for anyone

You are right about some of them already been used for the other artwork, thats one of the things why I dont really want to do a P3 version, but maybe when more time passes I have more desire for it.

Tricky, perhaps, but still doable I'd say. This would be my attempt:

Minato - Togami (or Ishimaru)
Akihiko - Ishimaru (or Togami)
Junpei - Hiro (because they're both questionably lovable idiots)
Shinjiro - Sakura (because they're both intimidating, lol)
Ken - Hifumi (because they both suck)

Mitsuru - Celeste (because...just look at them)
Aegis - Chihiro (because they're both cute, technologically-themed and not real girls)
Fuuka - Mukuro (because they...both have short hair?) or Fukawa (because they're both introverts and, uh, have similar names)
Yukari - Fukawa or Mukuro (because...process of elimination)
Mmmm, sorry but I prefer much more dakkumauji's list.

And wow at the Hifumi hate, I know he kills Takao but damn... personally I think he is great fun. Also Takao's character went a little bit to shit before he was killed, so it's not that bad.

Well, of course dakkumauji's list is better, he was including the characters you'd already used for the P4 characters! But that's not as fun a challenge!

Ah you were taking those away! Thats why some decissions sound it strange lol
It was a hard challenge indeed so it's a much better job than I thought at first. Really tricky.

In my defense, some of the reused ones just make more sense for a P3 character. :p

I mean, to fill up the remaining DR characters it wouldn't be hard, just hard to give the P3 characters a DR counterpart.

I said Aoi for Yukari mostly cause they are both perky and both do go through an emotional breakdown midway. Though I'll admit there is probably a better character in SDR2 for Yukari.

I mean you could say Koromaru gets Togami or something. A smart dog with glasses or something.

And no one likes Yamada/Hagakure or Ken.
Demo related:
Hell, even the whole justification and how flimsy the demo case is (from what I saw on tumblr) makes perfect sense that Yamada did it. He's just that terrible. Like really, Celeste's plan. Completely no holes there.

Rocksxp

Neo Member
SDR2
So I just finished SDR2. Holy crap that was amazing experience. I will refrain from an in depth review of the game but I will say they topped DR1 in every way. The cast is so much more amazing overall. The mini games look so much better. The soundtrack is so good. The cases are harder to figure out. The only thing problem I had were with the punishments. Felt like DR1's were more brutal. Can't wait for the release so I can see more people experience this game.
SDR2

I mean, to fill up the remaining DR characters it wouldn't be hard, just hard to give the P3 characters a DR counterpart.

Yeah P3 characters are harder to place than P4.
Though I'll admit there is probably a better character in SDR2 for Yukari.
SDR2
Koizumi?Nevermind?
SDR2

All the hate for Hifumi makes me sad. He is probably one of the more likable male characters with Takao. Mondo has the problem of you needing to complete his card, and his firendship with Tako is sadly not well showed in the game.
Oh yeah, I forgot Cihiro lol

Togami is the only male character that can get away not being likable, and he really has no redemption whatsoever so he is not that good either.

The rest can go and fuck of with a big giant rod. What a bunch of shitty unlikable characters, they are even worst in school mode.

Hope DR2 has more likable male characters. Female in DR were not that bad.

Out of all of the males I only truly disliked 2 in DR2 so there's that.

If they die soon and in a cruel way, that is a good thing for sure.

This is why I like Makoto Naegi.

He's mostly whatever in the main story, but he really shines during the school mode/free time events. For an everyman, he's good at making people feel better about themselves
Even a guy like Byakuya can't predict him.

I don't feel he is that good of a character, but you are right that he shines much more in school mode.
I think he stays too much between trying to be you, and trying to be a character, and that brings him down. Would have been better to do him one way or the other, no in bewtweens.
And I really hate it when the game makes you a choice, and you can really only choose one of the things becuase it repeats until you chose that. Why leave me the choice if theres no really a choice.

Nachos

You'll enjoy SDR2 then because Hinata Hajime is very much his own character.

Yup. I think it says something that Hinata was my favorite character in the game, even moreso than some of the standouts like Gundam. I'm not sure how well it'll comes across in the NISA translation, but Hinata establishes himself as a very different character, right from the first line he speaks. He has much more of a hands-on role in the story, too.

Speaking of characters, though, have any other actors come forth with which ones they play?

I was thinking about it, and, unless they want to go with some newer actors, I think these would help round out the roster:

• Hajime Hinata - Todd Habberkorn (typical voice for a lot of protagonists, but Todd specializes in sounding a little more like a scrapper)
  • Teruteru Hanamura - Johnny Yong Bosch (He and Hanamura's Japanese actor are basically voice twins)
  • Gundam Tanaka - Liam O'Brien (not sure if there's a better choice out there as far as vocal characteristics, but Liam's acting would totally do the character justice)
  • Peko Pekoyama - Cindy Robinson (usually portrays more cartoonish characters like Amy Rose and Zero III, but her normal voice definitely sounds appropriate for the ultimate swords woman)
  • Ibuki Mioda - Laura Bailey (whoever plays Ibuki is going to need a TON of range, and who better actress to fit that bill than Rise Kujikawa?)
  • Mahiru Koizumi - Kate Higgins (specializes in playing motherly and spunky characters, both of which describe Koizumi)
  • Mikan Tsumiki - Stephanie Sheh (great at playing meek characters, but is generally good at pulling off other emotions, too.
  • Akane Owari - Kari Walgreen? (This seemed to be the hardest one to pick, but going with someone who can be brash seemed like a pretty safe pick)

On that note, did anyone ever figure out who plays Usami?

It's a running gag by the series creators at this point - the protagonists of the spinoff also have the ninety-degree hair spike going on.

Yeah, I read in the art design of Makoto that they first drew him without the antenna and it was added to gave it a little more personality becuase the original looked more bland and out of place with the other crazy hairs.

I think is cool they leave all the main characters with that antenna, didn't know there was a spin off.

Rocksxp

Neo Member
SDR2
I forgot about her, lol. Sure, I was thinking her or the princess.
SDR2
She had a pretty bare bones role in the story so I don't blame you for not remembering.
SDR2

Out of all of the males I only truly disliked 2 in DR2 so there's that.
SDR2
Komaeda and Souda?
SDR2

This is why I like Makoto Naegi.

He's mostly whatever in the main story, but he really shines during the school mode/free time events. For an everyman, he's good at making people feel better about themselves
Even a guy like Byakuya can't predict him.
Naegi cool and all, but he needs to learn how to say no. Pretty much every school mode ending has him promising to spend the rest of his life with that person.

I need some English media for DR2, like, yesterday.
We will get more information in July I think.

PK Gaming

Yup. I think it says something that Hinata was my favorite character in the game, even moreso than some of the standouts like Gundam. I'm not sure how well it'll comes across in the NISA translation, but Hinata establishes himself as a very different character, right from the first line he speaks. He has much more of a hands-on role in the story, too.

Mhm

I think Hinata completely shatters the argument that it's impossible to have compelling VN protagonist, since they should made to be passive to allow the player to immerse themselves in the game. Hinata manages to do both without breaking a sweat.

Speaking of characters, though, have any other actors come forth with which ones they play?

I was thinking about it, and, unless they want to go with some newer actors, I think these would help round out the roster:
  • Hajime Hinata - Todd Habberkorn (typical voice for a lot of protagonists, but Todd specializes in sounding a little more like a scrapper)
  • Teruteru Hanamura - Johnny Yong Bosch (He and Hanamura's Japanese actor are basically voice twins)
  • Gundam Tanaka - Liam O'Brien (not sure if there's a better choice out there as far as vocal characteristics, but Liam's acting would totally do the character justice)
  • Peko Pekoyama - Cindy Robinson (usually portrays more cartoonish characters like Amy Rose and Zero III, but her normal voice definitely sounds appropriate for the ultimate swords woman)
  • Ibuki Mioda - Laura Bailey (whoever plays Ibuki is going to need a TON of range, and who better actress to fit that bill than Rise Kujikawa?)
  • Mahiru Koizumi - Kate Higgins (specializes in playing motherly and spunky characters, both of which describe Koizumi)
  • Mikan Tsumiki - Stephanie Sheh (great at playing meek characters, but is generally good at pulling off other emotions, too.
  • Akane Owari - Kari Walgreen? (This seemed to be the hardest one to pick, but going with someone who can be brash seemed like a pretty safe pick)

On that note, did anyone ever figure out who plays Usami?

Tanaka_%288%29.png

I had nearly the exact same headcanon when reading through SDR2. (Specifically: Hinata, Teruteru, Tsumiki and Gundam)

I'm definitely fond of your choices. It's pretty much impossible to match the Japanese voice cast, but the English cast should work towards conveying the same sentiment, and your choices do that nicely.

Though in retrospect, I really wish Bryce Papenbrook wasn't voicing Komaeda. He does a decent Makoto, but there's no way he's going to pull off Komaeda...

Rocksxp

Neo Member
Right on the money. The former in particular.
LAST SPOILER I PROMISE
SDR2
They're my least favorites males to. I admittedly thought about changing my guess and switching out Souda out for Hanamura but I felt too bad for Hanamura.
SDR2

I just spare everyone from all of this SDR2 discussion, May 5th is the esteemed Togami's birthday.
Probably ties up his baker up like Chihiro if they don't make his cake right.

Seda

Hi,

I've heard that spoilers are becoming slightly problematic with people wanting a place to discuss the second game, yet to be localized. Having discussion of a spoiler-sensitive game in a thread with people trying to avoid those very spoilers...doesn't really make sense, even if tagged.

I think the best option is to have somebody make a Danganronpa 2 Spoiler thread for importers. This would sit in Gaming Community to separate discussion. That way people don't have to tip-toe around plot points.

When Goodbye Despair gets its localized release, that spoiler thread could be moved to Gaming to invite those who play through the localized release, or a new spoiler thread could be made - doesn't really matter.

Thoughts?

Nachos

Hi,

I've heard that spoilers are becoming slightly problematic with people wanting a place to discuss the second game, yet to be localized. Having discussion of a spoiler-sensitive game in a thread with people trying to avoid those very spoilers...doesn't really make sense, even if tagged.

I think the best option is to have somebody make a Danganronpa 2 Spoiler thread for importers. This would sit in Gaming Community to separate discussion. That way people don't have to tip-toe around plot points.

When Goodbye Despair gets its localized release, that spoiler thread could be moved to Gaming to invite those who play through the localized release, or a new spoiler thread could be made - doesn't really matter.

Thoughts?

No, that totally makes sense. I'm not sure how short-lived the topic might be, but this should all be quarantined, as it'd actually allow for better discussion, freeing them off needing to tiptoe around things. Still, I think it's telling that it got to this point, and robbing anyone who's invested in the series enough to stay active here was the last thing I would've wanted.

If you can give me the go-ahead, I can whip one up in about twenty minutes or so.

kewlmyc

Hi,

Thoughts?

Works for me.

Seda

No, that totally makes sense. I'm not sure how short-lived the topic might be, but this should all be quarantined, as it'd actually allow for better discussion, freeing them off needing to tiptoe around things. Still, I think it's telling that it got to this point, and robbing anyone who's invested in the series enough to stay active here was the last thing I would've wanted.

If you can give me the go-ahead, I can whip one up in about twenty minutes or so.

Yep, feel free to make one. Don't worry about how active or long-lived the thread is, there are plenty of communities with off-and-on activity.

As I said, a thread you make now might be the same one used when the localized game releases in 4 months (it'd be moved to Gaming), or you guys can just make a new one. Either way works.

Moonlight

Banned
I'm grateful for the split, but at the same time I'm really paranoid I'll accidentally click into the DR2 spoiler thread thinking it's this one, lol.

I'm grateful for the split, but at the same time I'm really paranoid I'll accidentally click into the DR2 spoiler thread thinking it's this one, lol.

It just wouldn't be a Danganronpa spoilers thread without people accidentally wondering into it like what happened with this one.

Top Bottom