• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Just curious, what are the best Armor sets so far? Because I'm still rocking my maxed out Alone Knight Captain armor and you know what? It's good. It's in the 300 range except for the helm which is at about 150 or so (too lazy to check right now) though I do have the Looking Glass Knight Gauntlets on and they're maxed out.

it depends of your playstyle so much

For heavies are the smelter demon, mirror armor,capitan Alonne, drakekeepers and the imperious, Velstad (havel is the true king of the heavies anyway)

For medium/light would be Alva set, drangelic, heide, llewellyn, trone watcher, Velgar, drakeblood and raimes

For casting saint set, tattered set, monastery set, lion mage, hexer set, chaos, black set and the black witch

Mistel

Banned
Majestic GS worth upgrading?
It is worth upgrading espicially if it's in your left hand for that extra bonus. 290 damage with B/D scaling at max very nice greatsword.
Just curious, what are the best Armor sets so far? Because I'm still rocking my maxed out Alone Knight Captain armor and you know what? It's good. It's in the 300 range except for the helm which is at about 150 or so (too lazy to check right now) though I do have the Looking Glass Knight Gauntlets on and they're maxed out.
Gyrm warrior, Drakekeeper, Havel's, Steel, and Mastodon etc. All that heavy stuff is the stronger armors you can get. If it's heavy its got high defense pretty much.

Trakan

I regret using ascetics in the Undead Crypt to farm Soul Vessels... Dat NG+++++ Velstadt and all his stupid Syan Soldiers :(

Edit: And not to mention getting invaded by idiot blues who ring the stupid bells as I'm fighting the Syan Soldiers! Get the hell outta here!

Man, that sounds awful. If you're going to do it in the future, farm the Giant Lord memory. Much easier.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
lol @ Chime of Screams and it's 25 cast speed.

TWENTY FIIIVVEE. Takes like 10 seconds to cast great heal haha.

Man, that sounds awful. If you're going to do it in the future, farm the Giant Lord memory. Much easier.

Beat him on my second try, so it wasn't too bad. The run to the boss along with getting invaded was infinitely more frustrating than the boss itself.

Out of the three Soul Vessel farming paths, the Undead Crypt is by far the fastest and easiest one. No enemies in your way and the path loops right back to the bonfire, takes like 20-30 seconds in total and for whatever reason you can repeat it without killing Velstadt. The other two routes (Lost Bastille and Memory of Orro) both have you facing enemies or a boss along with a much longer route to run though.

The Lost Bastille is probably the safest one to do though as that area is really easy to blow through.

On my other character the Undead Crypt is at NG+23, but thankfully the difficulty caps at NG+7 or 8 I think.

Tactics18

For those of you who don't know -
If you don't take any damage during the Sir Alonne fight, when you defeat him he will preform a Seppuku.
So Cool.
Best boss fight in the game, and overall a great DLC.

Levyne

Banned
For those of you who don't know -
If you don't take any damage during the Sir Alonne fight, when you defeat him he will preform a Seppuku.
So Cool.
Best boss fight in the game, and a overall a great DLC.

Oh wow, that's neat :)

Didn't really care for the layout of this dlc though. I did really enjoy the bosses.

Mistel

Banned
Incredibly good armor, decent weapon. Incredible boss room. Some cool lore (has to be more to it though), and a cool fight.
Like him being responsible for the Iron king's rule via his service? Check his helm description it tells you that.
So is the chaos blade good for PVE? Should I infuse it or any of my weapons?
For every hit you're doing 50 damage to yourself which isn't ideal really, It scales S with dex though. Infusions split damage making it weaker by going through two or more defenses depending on which one you infuse. If you want to do it it's best to infuse raw if you're doing a minimum requirements build or have a build that will suit the infusions.

ElTopo

Banned
How's the PC version of Dark Souls II? How's the DLC?

Pretty much the definitive version. Only things wrong with it being the Xbox command prompts and mouse input lag (but this only affects Guard Break and the Leap Attack) but there's a work around for the lag by using AutoHotKey.

NEO0MJ

Man, I just lost a it over 100k souls due to a stupid mistake ( ._.)

Amazing, they did a great job with the game for the most part. Only problem is that the game has a few issues when running at 60 FPS.

v1perz53

My only problem with the PC version remains the item durability bug (60 FPS causes item durability to go down twice as fast), but it has such minimal impact and everything else on PC is fantastic. I have both PS3 and PC version with the platinum trophy on PS3, and I pretty much only play on PC now.

This doesn't make any sense. What is From thinking here?

The only reasoning I saw online was that maybe it is so slow that in PvP someone will roll early thinking it is a normal chime so you will hit them by faking them out? Who the hell knows.

Like him being responsible for the Iron king's rule via his service? Check his helm description it tells you that.

For every hit you're doing 50 damage to yourself which isn't ideal really, It scales S with dex though. Infusions split damage making it weaker by going through two or more defenses depending on which one you infuse. If you want to do it it's best to infuse raw if you're doing a minimum requirements build or have a build that will suit the infusions.

So, it's only good for PVP? I have high dex/faith. I like the BS katana, but, I feel I could be doing a lot more damage, i feel weak.

v1perz53

So, it's only good for PVP? I have high dex/faith. I like the BS katana, but, I feel I could be doing a lot more damage, i feel weak.

I also felt really weak on my dex/faith build until I started using the Blue Knight Halberd lightning infused (I just murdered Targray, that covenant is impossible to level) and Black Knight Halberd fire infused. Split damage with lower faster hits with a lot of the other weapons were making them do less than they should have. But the halberds have high base damage and super long reach, and you get pretty high fire bns with a faith build, so the black night halberd works really well for lightning resistant guys or fire weak guys (looking at you Mytha).

Honestly, my favorite thing on my dex/faith character is the Bow of Want. Lightning infused with lightning arrows, this thing does monster damage. Plus poison arrows with a dex build for some serious damage. Just killed the ancient dragon with nothing but my bow, felt really good.

ElTopo

Banned
My only problem with the PC version remains the item durability bug (60 FPS causes item durability to go down twice as fast), but it has such minimal impact and everything else on PC is fantastic. I have both PS3 and PC version with the platinum trophy on PS3, and I pretty much only play on PC now.

It really only affects a handful of weapons like the Dragon Tooth. Any big hammer-like weapon has shit durability.

The only reasoning I saw online was that maybe it is so slow that in PvP someone will roll early thinking it is a normal chime so you will hit them by faking them out? Who the hell knows.

I've definitely been caught off guard by slower casts in PVP but that chime just seems weird to me.

v1perz53

It really only affects a handful of weapons like the Dragon Tooth. Any big hammer-like weapon has shit durability.

Yea, I actually ran out of durability using the Large Club to try to kill Licia early for her chime. But my major problem is less that durability goes down faster, but that you can actually get the "XXX at risk" message on the same hit the weapon breaks if you kill an enemy with that swing. Minorly annoying.

As a positive aside, it meant that I carried multiple weapons with me on PC, which was more fun and versatile.

Jaeger

Yea that's pretty awesome! He seems to have been a really strong warrior.

I wanna know more about him. I wanna know about the East. And I'm sure he has a connection of some kind to Shiva.

neoism

Beat him on my second try, so it wasn't too bad. The run to the boss along with getting invaded was infinitely more frustrating than the boss itself.

Out of the three Soul Vessel farming paths, the Undead Crypt is by far the fastest and easiest one. No enemies in your way and the path loops right back to the bonfire, takes like 20-30 seconds in total and for whatever reason you can repeat it without killing Velstadt. The other two routes (Lost Bastille and Memory of Orro) both have you facing enemies or a boss along with a much longer route to run though.

The Lost Bastille is probably the safest one to do though as that area is really easy to blow through.

On my other character the Undead Crypt is at NG+23, but thankfully the difficulty caps at NG+7 or 8 I think.

lol all this time I had no idea there was a vessel in the undead crypt I always use the Lost Bastille one mindblown.

Boy, I am having a ton of trouble in this
Iron Passage
-section of the DLC. It already wasn't very tank-friendly, what with all the enemies in places where you can only seem to hit them with a bow or something similar. Now they throw in
slow-inducing mages
on top of
regular mages on ridges
where I can't hit them in these super cramped corridors with a ton of other enemies.

The only real option I see is to slowly chip away the regular enemies until they don't spawn anymore, so I can run straight past the rest. Despair ): It reminds me of the Shrine of Amana. Invested in a tank build? Sucks to be you!

My boyfriend was having a ton of trouble with the Sunken King as a mage, while I had no trouble with it for the most part. Now he's the one happily dancing around the new DLC while I'm in a world of hurt. It makes me wonder, is From having a hard time balancing these area's for every type of playstyle? They do seem to nudge you into a certain direction, I think.

Iron Passage
-section of the DLC. It already wasn't very tank-friendly, what with all the enemies in places where you can only seem to hit them with a bow or something similar. Now they throw in
slow-inducing mages
on top of
regular mages on ridges
where I can't hit them in these super cramped corridors with a ton of other enemies.

The only real option I see is to slowly chip away the regular enemies until they don't spawn anymore, so I can run straight past the rest. Despair ): It reminds me of the Shrine of Amana. Invested in a tank build? Sucks to be you!

My boyfriend was having a ton of trouble with the Sunken King as a mage, while I had no trouble with it for the most part. Now he's the one happily dancing around the new DLC while I'm in a world of hurt. It makes me wonder, is From having a hard time balancing these area's for every type of playstyle? They do seem to nudge you into a certain direction, I think.

That is intentional, From is trying to challenge all builds and playstyle tendencies in different ways. They have done it with specific units like the Ironclads that can't be backstabbed, or the new Iron Warrior that gives circle strafer's grief by dumping lava on them. Dark Souls 2 vanilla was pretty forgiving to mage builds all around except for the Shaded Woods and the high magic defense Lion Warriors. Some bosses can be tanked, others require agile dodge/roll. It's their way of keeping everyone on their toes.

... but yeah, Iron Passage is bullshit.

Iron Passage
slow-inducing mages
on top of
regular mages on ridges

At least in amana you can cover in the pillars and roll out, in IP not even mages can pass it without spending half of all your spells before the magic resist boss

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
That is intentional, From is trying to challenge all builds and playstyle tendencies in different ways...

I (too) am getting this vibe strongly from DLC_2 itself, because you find two
rings
which completely enhances how one avoids damage in the game.

ok, so i was invaded by a hacker named Giant Enemy Crab.
He got crab claws as arms, wtf? Where can i find this?

That is probably the malformed claws. They are a rare drop from the Suspicious Shadow enemy which are enemy adds to the Flexile Sentry boss in NG+. You would need to do a lot of Bonfire-Ascetic boss runs with high item find gear to get them and the armor set.

That is probably the malformed claws. They are a rare drop from the Suspicious Shadow enemy which are enemy adds to the Flexile Sentry boss in NG+. You would need to do a lot of Bonfire-Ascetic boss runs with high item find gear to get them and the armor set.
yeah i just checked it it's the malformed claw.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

You can use one BA, kill the Ninja-Crows while avoiding FS, grab their items if they drop any, and quit the game. It'll put you directly outside the boss room, ready for another run.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

If the items don't drop, doesn't committing suicide against the boss respawn them again (in the next instance)?

You can use one BA, kill the Ninja-Crows while avoiding FS, grab their items if they drop any, and quit the game. It'll put you directly outside the boss room, ready for another run.

If the items don't drop, doesn't committing suicide against the boss respawn them again (in the next instance)?

Ah yes, good idea. Good thing I didn't have the urge to get that set or my No-Man's Wharf would probably be NG+10 by now with bonfire ascetics.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Are there viable dagger or double dagger PvE builds?

Hypron

So I didn't really like the DLC that much before. I did finally get to and beat
Sir Alonne
and this bossfight alone (hhehe) redeemed the entire DLC. It's absolutely great. Right up there with Artorias as the best Dark Souls boss. It's by far the best bossfight in the game. He's got lots of different attacks but they all have different tells, it 's challenging but it doesn't feel cheap in any way, and the boss looks absolutely badass.

You know, you have the right to invade me, that's ok.

But if you running around for 10 FUCKING MINUTES, that probably means you won't find me/can't reach me.
You could just give up and find someone else to invade, instead of wasting my time and yours, but noooooooooooooo, not you, you're a tenacious warrior amirite?

/rant

edit :15 minutes.
edit2 :he leaves. gg son.

I was just browing the patch notes from before and I don't know if it was fully digested here but I remember many of us lamenting that LS, GLS and SS were being given another damage nerf on top of the alleged "bug" damage nerf from the previous patch. However, the notes on this wiki seem to indicate that it was only the poise damage that was nerfed on these spells (among many others). If that is the case, I don't think it's that big of a deal. If the damage scaling gets back to where it should be, then the fewer casts shouldn't be too much of a problem.

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/1.07+Patch+Notes

Top Bottom