• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

Do i need to wear the ring when i'm in the Way of Blue?
If i'm a sinner, can i still get help from the blubros?

If you are a sinner and in the Way of Blue. You will get invaded by blue's due to sin, but if you also get a random red invasion, a blue should be summoned to help.

PranooY

For those of you who don't know -
If you don't take any damage during the Sir Alonne fight, when you defeat him he will preform a Seppuku.
So Cool.
Best boss fight in the game, and overall a great DLC.
Woah, so cool. Jeez, there goes my day now... I'll try getting this ending.
The main issue with that fight is u have to go all the way fighting abt 25 alonnes to reach him.

Trakan

Beat him on my second try, so it wasn't too bad. The run to the boss along with getting invaded was infinitely more frustrating than the boss itself.

Out of the three Soul Vessel farming paths, the Undead Crypt is by far the fastest and easiest one. No enemies in your way and the path loops right back to the bonfire, takes like 20-30 seconds in total and for whatever reason you can repeat it without killing Velstadt. The other two routes (Lost Bastille and Memory of Orro) both have you facing enemies or a boss along with a much longer route to run though.

The Lost Bastille is probably the safest one to do though as that area is really easy to blow through.

On my other character the Undead Crypt is at NG+23, but thankfully the difficulty caps at NG+7 or 8 I think.

That's weird. It must be one of the only bonfires that lets you burn an ascetic without saying "You must defeat the lord of this quarter" or whatever. I still prefer the Giant Memory though because you get the replacement ascetic and the Giant Lord is easy.

I'm having a lot of trouble right now with the F
ume
K
night
boss, jeez. I keep dying after he powers up. What is his
sword
even made of? Seems like fire, but my 100% fire resistance shield does nothing. As soon as he gets this form, I'm done. Nowhere to hide, nowhere to block. Argh.

JustinBB7

ume
K
night
sword
even made of? Seems like fire, but my 100% fire resistance shield does nothing. As soon as he gets this form, I'm done. Nowhere to hide, nowhere to block. Argh.

You're not supposed to block those, get rolling!

You can roll through all of his fire attacks, even the aoe one, just roll into them when those balls are close.

It took me a while too but it's possible.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a fan of the bombard the player with enemies style in the two DLC chapters. It's not creative or entertaining.

NEO0MJ

ume
K
night
sword

Apparently his weapon also does dark damage.

Ruuppa

I'm not a fan of the bombard the player with enemies style in the two DLC chapters. It's not creative or entertaining.

From just wants to make you feel like all those bosses who get zerged to death with a host and 2 phantoms.

Expect more of the same in the 3rd DLC.. I really hope not, I just want a more story/lore-oriented DLC next, instead of these time-travel Zelda dungeons. Which are fine, but still.

For Ivory King I was hoping for some Anor Londo style architecture though from the teaser it appears to be snow. Will probably be ice caves and Sasquatches.

Haunted

For Ivory King I was hoping for some Anor Londo style architecture though from the teaser it appears to be snow. Will probably be ice caves and Sasquatches.
For being a fire-themed area, there was a surprising amount of snow in the Iron King DLC. :lol

The only thing I was disappointed by in the second DLC
(aside from the familiar nature of the bosses)
was the complete disconnect from any other area in the game and the vague shoddy looking volcano-ish background vista when you were outside. It's not like Drangleic as it is was completely mapped out and watertight. Huge missed opportunity there, imo.

There will have to be a big pay-off event once you get all the crowns, right? Hopefully the dialogue from Vendrick's memory isn't the only main game addition alongside the DLC.

Mistel

Banned
Are there viable dagger or double dagger PvE builds?
Dual mundane or dual raw powerstance requirements would be alright.
Yea that's pretty awesome! He seems to have been a really strong warrior. I wanna know more about him. I wanna know about the East. And I'm sure he has a connection of some kind to Shiva.
At this point all I know without sitting and thinking about it's that he upped sticks and left.
So, it's only good for PVP? I have high dex/faith. I like the BS katana, but, I feel I could be doing a lot more damage, i feel weak.
It can work in PvE as most things a pretty weak to lightning so you can do that. You probably feel like that as DEX is pretty weak really, you'd probably get better results with one of the DEX greatswords.

Haunted

There will have to be a big pay-off event once you get all the crowns, right? Hopefully the dialogue from Vendrick's memory isn't the only main game addition alongside the DLC.
That'd be nice. But there was nothing like that for the Prepare to Die DLC, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ruuppa

At this point all I know without sitting and thinking about it's that he upped sticks and left.

Cool fight, bad lore: He came, propped up a king, got bored and buggered off. Even
Raime
had more buildup and lore, and he has pretty much nothing as well:
Vendrick's 3rd in command, got into a fight with Velstadt, ran off to Iron King, fell madly in love with Nadalia.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Cool fight, bad lore: He came, propped up a king, got bored and buggered off. Even
Raime
Vendrick's 3rd in command, got into a fight with Velstadt, ran off to Iron King, fell madly in love with Nadalia.

I dunno, it's quite an evocative and mysterious image:
the lone samurai wandering the earth "fixing" problems. Reminds me of Cain from Kung Fu
. Although, I think
the "land yet unknown" he leaves for is the afterlife; after all, the player does kill him.

Ash. I want to say that's all ash.

I thought it was.

Ruuppa

I dunno, it's quite an evocative image:
the lone samurai wandering the earth "fixing" problems. Reminds we of Cain from Kung Fu
. Although, I think
the "land yet unknown" he leaves for is the afterlife; after all, the player does kill him.

But is the Ashen Mist time-travel, or just tapping into memories? Tangible memories, from which you can take stuff with you, but still memories.

The description of the Ashen Mist Heart's description goes: The magic of the ancient dragon allows one to delve into the memories of the withered.
I'm of the opinion that you're not actually time-traveling, but that's up for a debate.

Sir Alonso does kind of remind me of Yojimbo, except bigger and less manly.

CHC

So I had a hacker invade me and drop a giant bag full of rings and gear, all hacked in. None of them are "fake" items like +15 weapons or anything but they're definitely ill gotten. I dropped what I think is all of it but if I forgot or missed an item in my giant inventory will my game run the risk of being screwed?

Mistel

Banned
Raime
As we entered a memory that probably means something in the whole grand scheme of things.
So I had a hacker invade me and drop a giant bag full of rings and gear, all hacked in. None of them are "fake" items like +15 weapons or anything but they're definitely ill gotten. I dropped what I think is all of it but if I forgot or missed an item in my giant inventory will my game run the risk of being screwed?
Nah they're fine. How'd you know they're ill gotten?

That's just terrible design, I lost to him once, not gonna bother again, that area is just a huge pain in the ass, designed to be as annoying, time consuming and repetetive as possible. I know I can beat all those guys, it just takes forever to do so.

Bad From. Disappointing piece of DLC all in all, after the first one which was pretty brilliant.
Wooo I did it, awesome boss fight. I had to completely change my way of fighting, ditched my Mastodon Greatsword and switched to a newly upgraded thrusting sword (I went for a Raw Scorpion Sting +5, I figured it would be the best choice since I have lowish dexterity), poor guy could barely touch me in my winning run, who's the ninja now?

Would have really hurt to just put a bonfire before the boss room to make the whole process less time wasting though?:/

On another note, has any youtuber or something published a lore video on this DLC yet? I have no idea what was going on, the enemies barely drop anything, and apart from there being some wannabe queen splitting her soul into a bunch of idols scattered all over the place I really don't know what to make of this.

NEO0MJ

I hope so. Would be cool if
we get a fight against pre-hollow King Vendrick.

Does the new DLC have any good weapons or gear? The last one seemed to be curiosities mostly.

We get a lot of interesting armors, rings, and weapons this time.

Haunted

Ash. I want to say that's all ash.
picgifs-mind-blown-3830258.gif

I'm an idiot. :lol Maybe I conflated it with the Ivory King screenshots in my mind and just leaped from there. Of course it's supposed to be ash.

CHC

Why? I mean they could of earned it and given it away because they don't want it?

That's probably 10 hours of farming, 15-30 bonfire ascetics, and 120 twinkling titanite. That would be make this invader a PRETTY nice guy.

Anyway good to know it probably won't bone my save so I'll keep the Aurous and Mad Warrior stuff.

neoism

That's probably 10 hours of farming, 15-30 bonfire ascetics, and 120 twinkling titanite. That would be make this invader a PRETTY nice guy.

Anyway good to know it probably won't bone my save so I'll keep the Aurous and Mad Warrior stuff.

If your on pc you shouldn't worry about your save being boned. You should be backing it up on the regular.

Mistel

Banned
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you probably haven't tried to farm for either of those, lol. They take an absurb amount of time to get.
I have and know how long it takes to get them just giving them the benefit of doubt that's all.
Does the new DLC have any good weapons or gear? The last one seemed to be curiosities mostly.
A few of the new weapons are pretty good. There's a DEX oriented greatbow for example along with several other weapons with high DEX or STR scaling. There's a few curiosities that only really work with certain things but far fewer this time.

Goddamn, the Partizan's 2hR2 is deadly in PVP! It hits for strike damage and has what seems to be a 350 degree hitbox around the user. It reminds me of dead angles in the first Dark Souls.

GAF, is the adjusted infusion scaling for the Bewitched Alonne Sword and Black Steel Katana bogus?

i.e. they still yield an S in DEX when infused with Dark, albeit a red S, indicating dropped scaling. I think I've read that the actual DEX scaling of the Black Steel when infused is more in line with a B.

v1perz53

GAF, is the adjusted infusion scaling for the Bewitched Alonne Sword and Black Steel Katana bogus?

i.e. they still yield an S in DEX when infused with Dark, albeit a red S, indicating dropped scaling. I think I've read that the actual DEX scaling of the Black Steel when infused is more in line with a B.

It is a common bug where after being infused the letter of the scaling doesn't change but the amount of scaling does. Black Steel Katana is closer to a B or C in dex scaling when infused even though it says S for example.

Similar things happen with weapons that had their scaling fixed in a patch. Like Flamberge still shows an A scaling in dex at +10 even though it was changed to S.

JustinBB7

Got the fucking heart and now finally at last DLC boss, really fun boss to fight, but the way there...

Any tricks? Right now I stick to the left and roll like hell and try and dodge, but the second room right before the fog is annoying to run by.

Yea that's pretty awesome! He seems to have been a really strong warrior.

I wanna know more about him. I wanna know about the East. And I'm sure he has a connection of some kind to Shiva.

something something ronin guy helped a honest king, something something makes the kingdom be one of the most precious lands in its time, something something ronin was ready to look for stronger enemies something something scumbag players kill him before going to his journey, something something the iron king met someone on the black iron mines, something something Sir alonnes guy died before helping the king to not fall into lust power after that meeting.

Ruuppa

Got the fucking heart and now finally at last DLC boss, really fun boss to fight, but the way there...

Any tricks? Right now I stick to the left and roll like hell and try and dodge, but the second room right before the fog is annoying to run by.

I find the second room easier.. Try running on the left side in that room, keeping the two early aggroing Alonne's on the other side of the big hole. They won't follow you down the stairs.

It is a common bug where after being infused the letter of the scaling doesn't change but the amount of scaling does. Black Steel Katana is closer to a B or C in dex scaling when infused even though it says S for example.

Similar things happen with weapons that had their scaling fixed in a patch. Like Flamberge still shows an A scaling in dex at +10 even though it was changed to S.

Spanks, man. Annoying bug. Surely it's an easy fix.

FIX THIS SHIT, FS!

But is the Ashen Mist time-travel, or just tapping into memories? Tangible memories, from which you can take stuff with you, but still memories.

The description of the Ashen Mist Heart's description goes: The magic of the ancient dragon allows one to delve into the memories of the withered.
I'm of the opinion that you're not actually time-traveling, but that's up for a debate.

Anything you do in the ashen mist is you retracing Vendrick's steps. So, y'know.

JustinBB7

Is
Sir ALonne's lifesteal attack bugged? I rolled through it on time clearly multiple times but it keeps hitting me. I only rolled through it once the first time, after that he hit it every time.

I find the second room easier.. Try running on the left side in that room, keeping the two early aggroing Alonne's on the other side of the big hole. They won't follow you down the stairs.

I'm on NG++ there are more enemies there blocking the way right before it too, so it's a bit harder.

I just tried it and all 4 arches shot at me and followed me down the stairs as well.

Edit: Ah well beat him anyway, awesome fight!

Techically you are going to the memories of living beings in this case you enter the last memory of each NPC's memories. They remember someone being there before dying.

Its still unclear if you take the place of that person, if you are a different person in each memory or doing a paradox travel being you the same person which makes no sense at all.

Is clear in the giant memories is the same "hero" and the npc reacts saying you were great for doing that feat.

Only in Vendrick memory he puts you the title of seeker of the throne out of the blue.

NEO0MJ

I read something about Vendrick after you beat the DLC's, do I have to kill him again to get that?

No. Just walk to the pile of armor in his room and use the ashen mist heart to enter it. You can then talk to pre-hollow Vendrick and get a it of lore from him.

Braag

So I finally got around to finish Dark Souls 2. I bought it at launch but after defeating the
Last Giant
I kinda just phased out and started playing other games.
Now I'm doing the post game stuff, I've all ready killed the
Ancient Dragon
, I got all 5 of the Giant Souls and also killed Vendrick.
Someone said there's some
angel looking boss (?)
still left somewhere? I've tried to look around but I have no idea where to go.
Am I missing something else?

And in Dark Souls I used to just go around and kill every friendly NPC to get their stuff right before I moved to NG+ but I've heard that sins in DS2 carry on to NG+... sooo I guess I shouldn't do that anymore? And you get their stuff by doing their quest lines anyway.

Also how do I access the DLC? I got some keys but dunno where to use them... I'm a noob :(

Mistel

Banned
So I finally got around to finish Dark Souls 2. I bought it at launch but after defeating the
Last Giant
I kinda just phased out and started playing other games.
Now I'm doing the post game stuff, I've all ready killed the
Ancient Dragon
, I got all 5 of the Giant Souls and also killed Vendrick.
Someone said there's some
angel looking boss (?)
still left somewhere? I've tried to look around but I have no idea where to go.
Am I missing something else?

And in Dark Souls I used to just go around and kill every friendly NPC to get their stuff right before I moved to NG+ but I've heard that sins in DS2 carry on to NG+... sooo I guess I shouldn't do that anymore? And you get their stuff by doing their quest lines anyway.

Also how do I access the DLC? I got some keys but dunno where to use them... I'm a noob :(
To access the dlc for the first it's the rotten's primal bonfire for the seconds its the iron kings. You just interact with the portals and get taken to the dlc areas. For the final boss you need to clear all three abyss chasms whilst in the darkdivers.

Braag

To access the dlc for the first it's the rotten's primal bonfire for the seconds its the iron kings. You just interact with the portals and get taken to the dlc areas.

Ooh so those portal at the end of the bosses were for that. I completely forgot those.

For the final boss you need to clear all three abyss chasms whilst in the darkdivers.

Oh yeah the wheelchair guys portal.

Well I got some stuff to do.
Thanks.

Top Bottom