• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

I spent my day and a good part of the night helping people in Iron Passage.
Got a LOT of souls doing that. Well, if you manage to go the boss :/

I put my sign fo Fume Knight too, with few result. Seems people have it harder with Smelter.

Ruuppa

For some reason I hit on the idea that I wanted to completely depopulate Drangleic, i.e. despawn every enemy and eventually kill every NPC. I'm nowhere near doing it but I'm just about at the end of this playthrough.

Are there any enemies that don't despawn and thus respawn infinitely, I wouldn't want to bother trying to kill them permanently! I already noticed the petrifying dog things in Aldia's Keep have something like 20 spawns rather than the usual 12.

Leydia Pyromancers never stop spawning, if their tombstones are intact. I think they also spawn infinitely in the corridor to Velstadt, if you ring the bell. The Hollows from the graves will also spawn endlessly.

Leydia Pyromancers never stop spawning, if their tombstones are intact. I think they also spawn infinitely in the corridor to Velstadt, if you ring the bell. The Hollows from the graves will also spawn endlessly.
Ahhh that's right, I already smashed all the tombstones so I'm good.

Can someone tell me if the loot on the higher ledges of the Iron Passage (where you have to dodge the fireballs) are worth it?

Two more bume sorceress to ger her gear, and three wizard guys who can drop a rare black mage helmet.

About loot I got a torch (lol) and some items to lower spell requirements and resine.

v1perz53

Ahhh that's right, I already smashed all the tombstones so I'm good.

Also the Stone Knights in the room with six doors that you need to kill a guy to open never stop spawning (I guess to make sure you don't make it impossible to progress since you need to kill one near the first right door to move on). The Ruin Sentinels that are behind the doors do stop spawning eventually though.

NEO0MJ

So, any good dex builds? I'm LV.175 and I think I put too much into strength with it at 33 and Dex at 54.

The Ruin Sentinels that are behind the doors do stop spawning eventually though.

And that really sucks, I want their armor but they stopped spawning now.

v1perz53

So, any good dex builds? I'm LV.175 and I think I put too much into strength with it at 33 and Dex at 54.

And that really sucks, I want their armor but they stopped spawning now.

You could always use an Aescetic on that bonfire to get them to come back. Not too bad in the long run since twin Dragonriders are linked to the bonfire closer to Nashandra.

NEO0MJ

What sort of DEX weapons are you interested in using?

Maybe a rapier or Katana. I made the strength somewhat high in case I wanted to dual wield or use the Curved Dragon great-sword.

You could always use an Aescetic on that bonfire to get them to come back. Not too bad in the long run since twin Dragonriders are linked to the bonfire closer to Nashandra.

Because of...

They spawn numerous times normally on NG. NG+ and beyond they only spawn once a piece.

This. If you don't get the full armor on NG chances are you'll never complete it.

Mistel

Banned
Maybe a rapier or Katana. I made the strength somewhat high in case I wanted to dual wield or use the Curved Dragon great-sword.
Thrusting swords have quite a lot of high DEX scaling weapons other than Estoc's which are STR orientated. Something like the Spider Silk which has shield piercing strong attacks with S DEX scaling and 195 damage at mx. Espada Ropera is identical in moveset to a rapier with E/A with 235 damage or there's Ricard's rapier which 160 damage with S scaling at max. Rapiers a quite a lot of fun to use and have low STR requirements so you'd need something like 11STR to use the DEX orentated ones then you can dump all the points from STR into DEX.

Katana wise you're going to be using a chaos blade or blacksteel if you go that route.

Ruuppa

Thrusting swords have quite a lot of high DEX scaling weapons other than Estoc's which are STR orientated. Something like the Spider Silk which has shield piercing strong attacks with S DEX scaling and 195 damage at mx. Espada Ropera is identical in moveset to a rapier with E/A with 235 damage or there's Ricard's rapier which 160 damage with S scaling at max. Rapiers a quite a lot of fun to use and have low STR requirements so you'd need something like 11STR to use the DEX orentated ones then you can dump all the points from STR into DEX.

Katana wise you're going to be using a chaos blade or blacksteel if you go that route.

Thrusting swords are really fun, but somewhat hard to aim since the hit-tracking is somewhat lackluster and they have a really narrow hitbox. Spider's Silk is exceptional against turtles, Ricard has good damage and a nice special (really good for poisoning people). For the most power, Espada Ropera with its high base is your best bet, since Dex scaling is pretty bad, even at S.

Katanas are goddamn powerful. Really, really powerful, since they get 150 crit damage(for comparison, Rapiers have 140 to 100), and really good base damage and Dex scaling to boot. Their runstab has enormous hitbox, as well as their other stab attacks as well. There are no "bad" Katanas, all of them are pretty damn strong. Just pick one you like and stick with it. They do require more Str to wield than Rapiers.

Mistel

Banned
Thrusting swords are really fun, but somewhat hard to aim since the hit-tracking is somewhat lackluster and they have a really narrow hitbox. Spider's Silk is exceptional against turtles, Ricard has good damage and a nice special (really good for poisoning people). For the most power, Espada Ropera with its high base is your best bet, since Dex scaling is pretty bad, even at S.
If you really wanted to have the most powerful thrusting sword you'd probably go with Estoc as that is STR based.

Katanas are goddamn powerful. Really, really powerful, since they get 150 crit damage(for comparison, Rapiers have 140 to 100), and really good base damage and Dex scaling to boot. Their runstab has enormous hitbox, as well as their other stab attacks as well. There are no "bad" Katanas, all of them are pretty damn strong. Just pick one you like and stick with it. They do require more Str to wield than Rapiers.

I upgraded a black steel katana, still I have to invest more points in dex? like 90? I dont the a huge deal outside it hits pretty fast

Ruuppa

If you really wanted to have the most powerful thrusting sword you'd probably go with Estoc as that is STR based.

Oh yes, but if we're talking about Dex builds, Ropera is the best in damage.

I think majority of the katana do between 130 and 150 crit.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Dat counter though.

I upgraded a black steel katana, still I have to invest more points in dex? like 90? I dont the a huge deal outside it hits pretty fast

I think the soft/hardcap for S scaling is 50 Dex? I'm not sure though, I usually stop at 40.

Mistel

Banned
Oh yes, but if we're talking about Dex builds, Ropera is the best in damage.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Dat counter though.
I think the soft/hardcap for S scaling is 50 Dex? I'm not sure though, I usually stop at 40.
I'd say it is but don't quote me on that. A raw minimum stats black scorpion stinger might be far better than it is. Lances have higher counters at 160 and the soft cap for DEX is 40.

Ruuppa

Guess I need 20 more points to see its fully potential, got wrecked by a NG++++ mob

You might be able to get more damage out of other Katanas than Blacksteel, since it only has 130 crit. Berserker Blade, Chaos Blade and Uchigatana have 150 crit, so they'll give more damage when your enemy is in an attack/sprint/recovery/etc. animation.

Edit: Bewitched Alonne Blade and Manslayer also have 150 crit, apparently.
I'd say it is but don't quote me on that. A raw minimum stats black scorpion stinger might be far better than it is. Lances have higher counters at 160 and the soft cap for DEX is 40.

Raw Black Scorpion does damn good damage for the stat-investment, but you can't Resin/Buff it because of the innate Poison and it has the 2nd shortest range out of the Thrusting Swords.

Lances on the other hand. Mmm. Lances. You'll be in for a bad time if you whiff, though.

Jaeger

Just random, but I would have loved to have the following become a reality;

Armor Sets
*Pursuer's Armor Set
*Old Dragonslayer

Unique Armor Pieces
*Smelter Helmet (Blue)
*Second helmet variant from Suspicious Shadow

Weapons
*Giant Lord's Greatsword/Ultra Greatsword

Armor Sets
*Pursuer's Armor Set
*Old Dragonslayer

Unique Armor Pieces
*Smelter Helmet (Blue)

Weapons

This! I love the Dragonslayers Armour. Would be nice if you could get both sets, the one form DS1, and the one from DS2.

NEO0MJ

Thrusting swords are really fun, but somewhat hard to aim since the hit-tracking is somewhat lackluster and they have a really narrow hitbox.
There are no "bad" Katanas, all of them are pretty damn strong. Just pick one you like and stick with it. They do require more Str to wield than Rapiers.

Thrusting swords have quite a lot of high DEX scaling weapons other than Estoc's which are STR orientated.

All right, thanks. I think I might go with poisonous Ricard's Rapier and maye a Blacksteel Katana for now. Gonna do more research on Katanas.

Fume and Blue Smelter down, is Sir what'shisface hard to find? I also need one more statue for the bride of ash completion :O

He's pretty easy to find, you just need to go to the right lift and it will eventually leed you to path that ends with a room that has a piece of armor and a katana in the middle and a bonfire. He also has the last smelter wedge that you need to destroy the last statue.

Does anyone have around 11mill SM and have a spare chicken drumnstick? I wanna power-stance em but only got one ;~;. I try to get it to drop to no avail.

I would offer you mine but I'm still at between 4-5 mil soul level.

Armor Sets
*Pursuer's Armor Set
*Old Dragonslayer

I was so disappointed that we couldn't get the Persuer's Armor and the Old Dragonslayer armor. I used to love using Ornstein's set in DaS.

Trakan

Armor Sets
*Pursuer's Armor Set
*Old Dragonslayer

Unique Armor Pieces
*Smelter Helmet (Blue)

Weapons

Let's add the Artorias set while we're at it.

I always thought it was disappointing that we couldn't make the Last Giant's soul into a weapon that was just his ripped off arm. That would have been awesome.

Ruuppa

Armor Sets
*Pursuer's Armor Set
*Old Dragonslayer

Unique Armor Pieces
*Smelter Helmet (Blue)

Weapons

How about Emerald Herald's set? It looks so cool.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

Blacksteel is my favourite weapon in the game.

Bad:

It is the second heaviest (8.0), is outshone by the Uchi up to about 32/33 DEX, always second fiddle to Chaos Blade, awful when imbued, and doesn't have the comparable crit damage to the others.

Good:

It has the 2nd highest straight damage of the katanas at somewhere around 40/50 DEX (you can push more DEX scaling out of it after that but it's a case of diminishing returns) and easily the best move set. The 2H quick draw strong attack might seem slow but it can be chained super fast from a rolling/running light attack for a pretty nifty combined amount of damage. Mixing up the delayed straight attack and the faster chained attack is a valuable tool in PvP.

Using the Engraved Gauntlets, Third Dragon Ring (is that the name?), Stone Ring (for extra poise damage), RoB +2 and Flynn's Ring (with 60.2 overall weight) makes it a terrifyingly formidable weapon, clocking something in the region of 440+ AR. That might not seem a lot, but when you factor in the speed of the 2 hit light combo and that earlier R1/R2 rolling/running chain combo I was chatting about, you get a really fearsome damage per second rate. That's not even taking dual wielding into account.

You might be able to get more damage out of other Katanas than Blacksteel, since it only has 130 crit. Berserker Blade, Chaos Blade and Uchigatana have 150 crit, so they'll give more damage when your enemy is in an attack/sprint/recovery/etc. animation.

Edit: Bewitched Alonne Blade and Manslayer also have 150 crit, apparently.

Oh right. So most of them have 150? My bad!

BY2K

Membero Americo
So I'm trying to go through No Man's Wharf, but there's so many enemies my weapon breaks before I can get far. Any ideas where I can find a weapon with decent durability?

Mistel

Banned
Just random, but I would have loved to have the following become a reality
Weapons
This with emerald herald's set would be nice.
So I'm trying to go through No Man's Wharf, but there's so many enemies my weapon breaks before I can get far. Any ideas where I can find a weapon with decent durability?
What weapon are you using now?

v1perz53

Blacksteel is my favourite weapon in the game.

Bad:

It is the second heaviest (8.0), is outshone by the Uchi up to about 32/33 DEX, and doesn't have the comparable crit damage to the others.

Good:

It has the 2nd highest straight damage of the katanas at somewhere around 40/50 DEX (you can push more DEX scaling out of it after that but it's a case of diminishing returns) and easily the best move set. The 2H quick draw strong attack might seem slow but it can be chained super fast from a rolling/running light attack for a pretty nifty combined amount of damage. Mixing up the delayed straight attack and the faster chained attack is a valuable tool in PvP.

Using the Engraved Gauntlets, Third Dragon Ring (is that the name?), Stone Ring (for extra poise damage), RoB +2 and Flynn's Ring (with 60.2 overall weight) makes it a terrifyingly formidable weapon, clocking something in the region of 440+ AR. That might not seem a lot, but when you factor in the speed of the light combo and that earlier R1/R2 combo I was chatting about, you get a really fearsome damage per second rate. That's not even taking dual wielding into account.

Oh right. So most of them have 150? My bad!

My major problem with Blacksteel was the pushback. In PvE, using two R1 attacks would generally push an enemy just out of range of the third hit, and give them enough time to get an attack in as I moved forward for my third hit. Mild irritation, but over the course of having to kill hundreds of easy peon enemies throughout the game, it got annoying, in that it made the easy parts of the game more tedious than they had to be if anything didn't die in two hits.

That said I used the Blacksteel Katana on my 0 deaths run for the Illusory Ring from Iron Keep onward and it served me fairly well. And I definitely enjoyed powerstancing those bad boys.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
My major problem with Blacksteel was the pushback. In PvE, using two R1 attacks would generally push an enemy just out of range of the third hit, and give them enough time to get an attack in as I moved forward for my third hit. Mild irritation, but over the course of having to kill hundreds of easy peon enemies throughout the game, it got annoying, in that it made the easy parts of the game more tedious than they had to be if anything didn't die in two hits.

That said I used the Blacksteel Katana on my 0 deaths run for the Illusory Ring from Iron Keep onward and it served me fairly well. And I definitely enjoyed powerstancing those bad boys.

I see what you mean. I dunno, if I have the stamina to spare I usually follow the push back with either the delayed 2H R2 quick draw or that rolling/running R1/R2 attack.

With my current set up I'm taking down
Alonne Knights in Memory of the Old Iron King
in two strikes. EDIT: by which I mean, if you get the damage up it isn't too much of a problem. Unfortunately, you do have to build around it specifically.

Ruuppa

That has 60 durability which is about average you could go get a heide knight sword which has 70 durability. Other than that bracing knuckle rings will help.

Yeah, get that bad boy. Or get a regular old Longsword, whatever works.

You will need a backup weapon as a melee character, since stuff breaks real easily. (On PC)

Of course. You want the Smelter Hammer right, I have an extra? I won't be able to log on for a few hours but I will send a PM later.

BTW. I am on PC. Steam ID: Khorgano

Yeah, the Smelter Hammer. Well, I'ma be leaving in about an hour and won't be back for quiet a bit of time. If you're on tomorrow we can trade. I'm on PC too, same name as here.

burgerdog

Barely got another chance to play today after being unable to play since Tuesday and killed all the dlc2 bosses. I loved the boss set in this dlc, just fantastic all around.

Man I love
Yorgh's Ring. I was facing Elana and it deflected all three pursuers and all three rapid attack of dark orb or whatever that is. SOOOOOOOO useful in that fight, but leave it to Fromsoft to give you it AFTER the fight heh.
BTW, are there any items that increase your health, other than the life ring?

Man I love
Yorgh's Ring. I was facing Elana and it deflected all three pursuers and all three rapid attack of dark orb or whatever that is. SOOOOOOOO useful in that fight, but leave it to Fromsoft to give you it AFTER the fight heh.

Dragon Rings give a small HP boost in addition to stamina and equip load.

NEO0MJ

So, does anyone have any extra Ruin Armor from the Ruin Sentinel set they're willing to give/trade away? I'm Soul level 4 million.

The Dragon Rings boost health, stamina and equip load, with Third Dragon Ring offering the biggest boosts.

Top Bottom