• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

So, does anyone have any extra Ruin Armor from the Ruin Sentinel set they're willing to give/trade away? I'm Soul level 4 million.

The Dragon Rings boost health, stamina and equip load, with Third Dragon Ring offering the biggest boosts.

Always have that on so I forgot it even gave a health boost, I just got used to wearing it heh. Any other items? Like headgear?

Just random, but I would have loved to have the following become a reality;

Armor Sets
*Pursuer's Armor Set
*Old Dragonslayer

Unique Armor Pieces
*Smelter Helmet (Blue)
*Second helmet variant from Suspicious Shadow

Weapons
*Giant Lord's Greatsword/Ultra Greatsword
Seriously though, where the fuck is out Pursuer armor From? The most badass boss in the game, and you can't get his shit.

BeeDog

FINALLY beat the Fume Knight, damn (with one human summon). Hardest boss ever in a Souls game, in my opinion; lost the count how many times I died versus him. Now onto the last boss of the DLC, ugh...

I hope the last DLC doesn't have any gauntlets like this one, they suck.

Starting my first playthrough of Crown of the Sunken King. Really loving it so far. The Mayan architecture is great. I love the feeling of exploring some giant pyramid. Also, it's really the first time in Dark Souls 2 where I've said "you know, it's been a really long time since I've seen a bonfire...". A welcome change to the base game where it seemed like there was a bonfire every 50 feet.

Let it be known that the Ruin Sentinel set doesn't look very good and probably isn't worth the time to farm it :p

I was lucky enough to have a random invader drop the Ruin set AND Catarina set for me and then black crystal out.

Edit: Speaking of luck...

http://a.pomf.se/wstzjq.webm

FINALLY beat the Fume Knight, damn (with one human summon). Hardest boss ever in a Souls game, in my opinion; lost the count how many times I died versus him. Now onto the last boss of the DLC, ugh...

I hope the last DLC doesn't have any gauntlets like this one, they suck.
I was just trying to help out people against him, but the host would ALWAYS die, it happened like ten times in a row, in the end I just gave up. And I thought I was bad :D

So a guy called Oberyn Martell just invaded me and killed me with some crazy spear skills.
That's an awesome idea for a new playthrough. Any Dark Souls connoisseur has any suggestion for a suitable weapon and armor?

edit: lol turns out there's already plenty of youtube videos about it

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I was just trying to help out people against him, but the host would ALWAYS die, it happened like ten times in a row, in the end I just gave up. And I thought I was bad :D

That's an awesome idea for a new playthrough. Any Dark Souls connoisseur has any suggestion for a suitable weapon and armor?
I made an Oberyn toon in Dark Souls 1 years ago (would need to be tweaked since this was pre-DWGR nerf)
http://forums.demonssouls.info/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15596
It was perfect with the sunlight shield. In DkS2, not sure how it'd work. But you'd need, to be as canon as possible ;), the following:
- A spear, preferably poisoned (with resin or infusion). A poisoned sword as backup is good too, he's known to have fought with that.
- A round shield, with a sun symbol on it if possible
- A golden helm
- Red gloves
- Light armour made of mail, scales, and leather

I made an Oberyn toon in Dark Souls 1 years ago (would need to be tweaked since this was pre-DWGR nerf)
http://forums.demonssouls.info/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15596
It was perfect with the sunlight shield. In DkS2, not sure how it'd work. But you'd need, to be as canon as possible ;), the following:
- A spear, preferably poisoned (with resin or infusion). A poisoned sword as backup is good too, he's known to have fought with that.
- A round shield, with a sun symbol on it if possible
- A golden helm
- Red gloves
- Light armour made of mail, scales, and leather
I'm guessing the Sunlight Parma would be as close as it gets here. Or I'm just going shieldless.
Ar for the spear, I guess any would do, I've read the Santier's Spear and Pete's Spear are among the best the best, so I might go with one of them and infuse it with poison.
Of course I would go for a high adaptability-dexterity build. No spells I guess?

Did anyone have trouble summoning people or getting summoned today? Anyway.

So I tried coop to help the smelter demon 2.0.....got a bunch of messages saying "FINALLY, THANK YOU" and some audio messages. Theirs voices .....you could felt their pain and frustration.

Fought the last boss of the DLC yesterday:
Sir Alonne
. A fun fight, and a fun area before even reaching the fog door. I liked the place where you fight him (Like a dream!). I was expecting as someone said "Artorias 2.0" but it wasn't exactly like that. Also, Artorias has that annoying buff that can destroy you in seconds if you are not careful. This Boss cause bleeding though, which was never a problem to me in DS 2 until this area. The DLC is clearly a taste of how the level design of next games in the series is going to be. First one include all those small puzzles, second one made me search for the ashen idols through a huge area... pretty much like a TLoZ game. I really liked it and I'm looking forward to playing the last chapter.

Doing coop in DS 2 has a very bad effect on me: it makes me want to destroy the boss in the first attempt. It never happened to me in DS one where I went solo against all bosses (except Lord Gwyn, but that's another story); but I do enjoy doing coop all the time against bosses too (again I mean in DS2), even against very easy ones; in the end that makes me a victim of Soul Memory but I don't bitch about it because I think that even with all its flaws, SM worked against griefers (at least on consoles), which is clearly a win.

DS one was a pretty tiring game. I think it somehow affected me to the point that even though I was excited for Artorias of the Abyss, I never went back to the game to play the DLC, until just recently. I played a lot of PVP as part of the Guardians of the Forest... suffered a lot of defeats while facing gank squads but I destroyed lots of players too and received many hate messages saying I didn't play fair or that I was cheating because I invested lots of souls in upgrades to precisely avoid bleeding (... particularly bleeding).

To me DS 2 is the game that makes me interact the most with other players in the whole series, I often find myself laughing while playing this game, I dunno why. I know supposedly we are after the end of the world (or at least after the end of Drangleic), that there are many twisted characters and whole areas and yet I laugh while fighting a boss or doing PVP... maybe I'm like Smough D:

TnK

Well, I reached the third bonefire in the new DLC, and I have to say it is probably the best area in the game.

How far in this DLC am I if I reached the third bonefire,? Also, since I am playing NG+, will the bosses be a huge pain?

Please don't tell me the bosses are dark again, lol. I need my dark blank cryptsword to work vs the bosses with the dark buff dammit!

Mistel

Banned
How far in this DLC am I if I reached the third bonefire,? Also, since I am playing NG+, will the bosses be a huge pain?Please don't tell me the bosses are dark again, lol. I need my dark blank cryptsword to work vs the bosses with the dark buff dammit!
One of them is. You're about mid way if that's the foyer bonfire.

SoldnerKei

finished the dlc a couple of days ago, I loved the level, and bosses were pretty cool, except smelly
smelter demon
, fuck that thing, it was the harder for me, stupid delayed swings,
Sir Alonne
fight was awesome, that room was just too pretty, and
Fume Knight
was quite fun to fight

equipment drops are pretty meh, got Fume Sorcerer's set and some weapons from the knights, dissapointed that I didn't find anymore pieces like the Flower Skirt, I thought that was going to be a set

Fought the last boss of the DLC yesterday:
Sir Alonne
. A fun fight, and a fun area before even reaching the fog door. I liked the place where you fight him (Like a dream!). I was expecting as someone said "Artorias 2.0" but it wasn't exactly like that. Also, Artorias has that annoying buff that can destroy you in seconds if you are not careful. This Boss cause bleeding though, which was never a problem to me in DS 2 until this area. The DLC is clearly a taste of how the level design of next games in the series is going to be. First one include all those small puzzles, second one made me search for the ashen idols through a huge area... pretty much like a TLoZ game. I really liked it and I'm looking forward to playing the last chapter.

Doing coop in DS 2 has a very bad effect on me: it makes me want to destroy the boss in the first attempt. It never happened to me in DS one where I went solo against all bosses (except Lord Gwyn, but that's another story); but I do enjoy doing coop all the time against bosses too (again I mean in DS2), even against very easy ones; in the end that makes me a victim of Soul Memory but I don't bitch about it because I think that even with all its flaws, SM worked against griefers (at least on consoles), which is clearly a win.

ding ding ding !!

Looks like FROM is adding new mechanics each dlc without actually moving their core design thats makes the illusion of improvement but the game core mechanic still needs some tweaks not add more mobs in corridors or super high resistance mobs.

Pure classes can no longer enjoy the DLC without chaging some aspects of their playstyle.

Haunted

The DLC is clearly a taste of how the level design of next games in the series is going to be. First one include all those small puzzles, second one made me search for the ashen idols through a huge area... pretty much like a TLoZ game. I really liked it and I'm looking forward to playing the last chapter.
I...

why didn't I make that connection. These DLC areas feel like Zelda temples. It's so obvious in hindsight.

Well, I reached the third bonefire in the new DLC, and I have to say it is probably the best area in the game.

How far in this DLC am I if I reached the third bonefire,? Also, since I am playing NG+, will the bosses be a huge pain?

Please don't tell me the bosses are dark again, lol. I need my dark blank cryptsword to work vs the bosses with the dark buff dammit!
About halfway there.

One of the bosses has high dark resistance, another has high elemental resistance across the board.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's really lame how the BP invader
(the Assassin) can use Estus to heal when it's clear that invaders generally can't. Once again the game breaks its own rule just to be cheap.

It's really lame how the BP invader
(the Assassin) can use Estus to heal when it's clear that invaders generally can't. Once again the game breaks its own rule just to be cheap.

Wait till you find
8 red phantoms summoning at once

are there two bosses in one area and one in the other area or?

One is on the very bottom part of the tower, other is on a tunnel detour from the middle tower and another one is available after you get the ashes mist in the top of the tower.

Already did, I beat the DLC. But I didn't know
he healed via Estus, because I normally didn't really follow him, I thought it was a spell. But I tried this time just to see what happened and yup he chugs. Lame.

It is, they can completely heal themselves now and instant recover ignoring incoming attack if you dont interruptem via execution or poise.

Braag

DLC2 spoilers

Ugh this is driving me nuts. I've beat all the bosses from DLC2 and I'm only missing one soul of nadalia fragment which is the one at the remote tower where that annoying Assassin invades you... The problem is that as soon as his health is at 50% he runs like a little cunt all the way down into the tower which is filled with bomb tossing assholes, immortal archers and curse. The curse isn't a problem since I can just use the Hollow Skin.
But I can't fight the him there with all the other respawning enemies... and I can't stab the Ashen Idol to get the soul since they all keep attacking me.
I can't believe this cowardly Assassin is giving me more trouble than the Fume Knight ever did.

Edit: added a spoiler warning just in case :s

DLC2 spoilers

Ugh this is driving me nuts. I've beat all the bosses from DLC2 and I'm only missing one soul of nadalia fragment which is the one at the remote tower where that annoying Assassin invades you... The problem is that as soon as his health is at 50% he runs like a little cunt all the way down into the tower which is filled with bomb tossing assholes, immortal archers and curse. The curse isn't a problem since I can just use the Hollow Skin.
But I can't fight the him there with all the other respawning enemies... and I can't stab the Ashen Idol to get the soul since they all keep attacking me.
I can't believe this cowardly Assassin is giving me more trouble than the Fume Knight ever did.

Don't fight the invader,
just blow past him and run down there. That's what I did. Even though it brought a posse in tow, I had enough time to get the Wedge in the idol and get the fragment. Kind of a suicide run, but you've been dying anyway so whatever.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Fume Knight
is giving me trouble again, this time in the Company of Champions. I can't afford mistakes, it's nuts. Please don't make me respec... -_-
DLC2 spoilers

It's super easy, especially if you ignore the curse.
Drop on the circular platform after he runs, and then pelt him with poison arrows or poison knives, and keep kiting him with ranged attacks, he won't be able to do shit. If your build has no ranged attacks, poison knives and firebombs can still work, he'll be totally helpless.

Braag

I ended up using a seed from the giant tree and let the enemies down there fuck him up.
It was pretty easy after that.
I had been holding on to the seed all this time and I couldn't think of a better time to use it :p

I ended up using a seed from the giant tree and let the enemies down there fuck him up.
I had been holding on to the seed all this time and I couldn't think of a better time to use it :p

Good idea, I never thought to use one on an NPC.

Braag

Also I'm glad to see
Artorias' sword
make a return (although it doesn't look quite as majestic as before).
Too bad it's not as crazy as the one you could get in DS with C and B scaling on every stat.

Had a productive night Sunbroing on Sir Alonne. That is a lot more fun fight than Fume or Smelter. Mainly because hosts tend to survive that one better and the run up isn't as much of a slog as Iron Passage either. One cool fight I gave the fatal blow to Sir Alonne just a second after the host got killed. I got the souls from the kill, I wonder if the host got the boss soul. I imagine they did, but now they'll have to run back to get the Smelter Wedge without help :p

Haunted

Haha that's pretty funny. He actually lost to the enemies?

I'd be interested in seeing more red phantom NPCs fight the regular enemies in the levels. I love watching AI vs AI. Those seeds are one item I wish were easier to get in bulk. Make it available at a merchant, but expensive like brightbugs.

edit: tell me someone has already set up a YT video series with AI fighting each other, I'd watch the shit out of that.

edit2: or just a mod/cheat that turns all enemies hostile to each other!

Sullichin

Haha that's pretty funny. He actually lost to the enemies?

I'd be interested in seeing more red phantom NPCs fight the regular enemies in the levels. I love watching AI vs AI. Those seeds are one item I wish were easier to get in bulk. Make it available at a merchant, but expensive like brightbugs.

edit: tell me someone has already set up a YT video series with AI fighting each other, I'd watch the shit out of that.

This video has some enemy infighting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRTawzDun5M

Ruuppa

You can do that with the Collector's Edition, among other craziness.

There are also things in it that can break your save. But there are also things in it that can fix your save. Use with caution.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Alright 500+ invasions in Iron Passage now (lol) I wonder what % of the active PS3 userbase I invaded. Very accustomed to invading this area now. My second home ;_;

Also I'm a recent bandwagoner of the Mail Breaker and you all should be too.

Ruuppa

Alright 500+ invasions in Iron Passage now (lol) I wonder what % of the active PS3 userbase I invaded. Very accustomed to invading this area now. My second home ;_;

Also I'm a recent bandwagoner of the Mail Breaker and you all should be too.

Why not Spider's Silk? It has more reach and same weight.

Wow, just had a guy turn on invincibility just as I parried and riposted him. I had landed a couple of hits on him before the parry and it looked like he wasn't cheating but then right as I riposte his HP goes down and then immediately shoots back up. Then of course he gives me the finger wag afterwards -_-

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Wow, just had a guy turn on invincibility just as I parried and riposted him. I had landed a couple of hits on him before the parry and it looked like he wasn't cheating but then right as I riposte his HP goes down and then immediately shoots back up. Then of course he gives me the finger wag afterwards -_-

Outskilled.

xR57sFv.gif

Ruuppa

That happened to me last night in the Belfry. Dude was invincible at start when I combo'd him, then he turned that off and I got him halfway, then he was back at full HP. Managed to duck and jive past him and got to the fogdoor. Ain't no-one got time for that bull.

His name was "Innocent", to boot.

Edit: By the by, I haven't been keeping an eye on it, but did the latest patch fix MonScim parries?

Top Bottom