• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

The outskirts area is no fun.
At all.
Must wait too long for the blizard to calm down, the infinite Pegasus...
Manage to get to the boss, disappointed :/
Don't care, won't beat it, it's too boring to get there.

Haunted

Ivory King DLC is huuuuge.

I've been playing for hours and I'm still not done. Definitely bigger than the other two areas.

AHA-Lambda

Any hints on where the Knights are? I found one after
Castaway Witch Donna, but haven't found the other two yet.

You get one to start with anyway, and I had that same one you've found. I also found one from the Inner Wall Bonfire. If you get to the area where the 3 golems were standing inanimate around a chest there is a path from there that used to be covered in ice that leads to a Knight sitting behind a door.

Xeroblade

Only for the optional one. And it's really, really hard.
By hard do you mean, lets put all this shit in front of the player because it will be tougher that way, we dont want the player to actually play through it, we want our players to cheat in order to get past, thats what we call hard.

sarcoa

I (think I) have two codes for Crown of the Iron King (DLC #2). One for Steam and the other for Xbox 360. First quote gets a PM, just specify which platform in the quote (and no, you can't have both :)

Ruuppa

By hard do you mean, lets put all this shit in front of the player because it will be tougher that way, we dont want the player to actually play through it, we want our players to cheat in order to get past, thats what we call hard.

More like:
"Hey here's a fun gimmick: You can't see shit, and there are infinitely spawning reindeers here as well!"

It's pretty horrid the first time around. Once you know where to go and what to do
(do NOT stay and fight them)
, it gets a lot easier.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Managed to get to the boss in the Outskirts, here it s how my experience was:

Ah, a reskin Tiger from before, its okay i know his movesets now so it should be an easy fi-

HOLY SHIT 2 OF THEM, OMG I AM FUCKED HELP!

*dies*

Xeroblade

More like:
"Hey here's a fun gimmick: You can't see shit, and there are infinitely spawning reindeers here as well!"

It's pretty horrid the first time around. Once you know where to go and what to do
(do NOT stay and fight them)
, it gets a lot easier.

That doesnt make me any happier but i do appreciate that you told me. I dont know if I will ever get around to playing this last bit of dlc. Stuff like this just makes me want to forget about it. Oh well.

So, apparently I found out what you get when you visit Vendrick after getting the 3rd crown:

Big spoilers obviously
If you die while wearing any of the three crowns moving forward, you do not go hollow.

That's the surprise. Not that they make it clear at all.

Ruuppa

So, apparently I found out what you get when you visit Vendrick after getting the 3rd crown:

Big spoilers obviously
If you die while wearing any of the three crowns moving forward, you do not go hollow.

That's the surprise. Not that they make it clear at all.

So the big reward that you had to go through 3 hard DLCs and find a semi-hidden NPC is an infinite Ring of Life Protection? Such bullshit, wow.

ElTopo

Banned
I don't like asking for help but this zone is kicking my ass and I'm genuinely lost.

I'm in the white/blizzard zone with the horses. I made it to the 3rd ruined structure (past the 2nd one that has a Pharros Lockstone) and have cleared out the enemies there. Where the hell do I go?

Ruuppa

Could be interesting if
the crowns carry over into NG+.

Well yeah, but I can't have been the only one to be waiting for an extra ending, or a special bossbattle or something. Getting only a meh-tier equipment buff is disappointing.

If there's something extra aside from that, oh yeaaaah! If there is, it should become apparent soon.
I don't like asking for help but this zone is kicking my ass and I'm genuinely lost.

I'm in the white/blizzard zone with the horses. I made it to the 3rd ruined structure (past the 2nd one that has a Pharros Lockstone) and have cleared out the enemies there. Where the hell do I go?
Head downhill.

NEO0MJ

So, what's in the
Outskirts?
That area is literally killing me. I feel it might not be worth exploring further. Also, where's the fourth bonfire?

Edit: Reached the near end but died.
What do we get for killing the two pets?

Ruuppa

That doesn't help at all. If the sun is at my right shoulder (and keeping in that direction has gotten me to all 3 structures) where do I go?

It should help a lot. There's only one direction from the 3rd ruin that heads downwards: Straight out of the door that the Rampart Golem is standing at.

NEO0MJ

Any tips for the first boss?

Should I be doing something about the monk looking people?

Try to keep your distance so you can lure it into performing some easy to avoid telegraphed attacks.

As for those monk looking people.
They later turn aggressive after you beat the first boss. If you want to farm their armor now might be a good time.

ElTopo

Banned
It should help a lot. There's only one direction from the 3rd ruin that heads downwards: Straight out of the door that the Rampart Golem is standing at.

Not to be an ass but you [
I]could[/I] have said "once you're in the 3rd ruined building, go out on the right door and head straight." Instead of saying "Go downwad." Because in a level where you can barely see anything just saying "Go downward." isn't helpful.

Made it to the boss in that zone. Disappointed that it's the same Tony the Tiger fight, except you do a little more damage but now you fight multiple ones...Wonderful.

But the good news is that I have easy access to the other 2 bosses now. Think I'm going to make a try for it tomorrow.

Uzzy

Well, finally stopped battering my head against the optional boss. Good thing too, as dropping into
the Ivory King boss fight with 4 knights and 2 summons feels great.

Uzzy

Where are the 4 knights? I only have 3.

There's one near the invasion spot of Castaway Witch Donna, another in the Inner Wall past the three giants guarding a chest, and for the last one you need to go up the elevator in the area past the covetous demon, and go right.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the three crowns. I've already gone and spoken to
Vendrick.

Vitor711

Oh man, beat one boss in the DLC and have found half of the bonfires. That's after only 2 hours, less even. Maybe 90 minutes.

Enjoying myself a fair bit but it feels like it could be shorter than the other two. Then again, I thought that the Old Iron King DLC was nearly done and then suddenly another half appeared.

Great content all around so far. First boss of the new DLC was aces by the way. Looked so cool. Easy fight but memorable.

Ruuppa

Not to be an ass but you [
I]could[/I] have said "once you're in the 3rd ruined building, go out on the right door and head straight." Instead of saying "Go downwad." Because in a level where you can barely see anything just saying "Go downward." isn't helpful.

Made it to the boss in that zone. Disappointed that it's the same Tony the Tiger fight, except you do a little more damage but now you fight multiple ones...Wonderful.

But the good news is that I have easy access to the other 2 bosses now. Think I'm going to make a try for it tomorrow.

I guess I could have been more specific. There is a definite downward slope in the direction you need to go though. Oh well, you found it anyway.

Edit: Geez, getting the
Loyce Set
takes some doing.

ElTopo

Banned
Missed one spot and now have all 4 knights at the ready.

Quickie review of the 3rd DLC:

This is a lot like the 1st DLC (Crown of the Sunken King) in that it's very maze-like and it basically forces to re-explore the area but it does it in a way that it doesn't feel like you just have to re-do everything. But it's larger than the 1st DLC. The world here feels bigger unlike the other DLC where it feels confined.

Biggest complaint I have against it is the whole optional boss and the area leading up to it. That whole zone is very striking and exceedingly original. But what kills the experience (I should note that I'm NG++) are the constant enemy encounters. It actually reminds me of the constant ambushes in the 2nd DLC but maybe better implemented but still annoying? It's hard to describe. It doesn't feel like the designers said "Oh, let's just dump X number of enemies here. Done." like the 2nd DLC. This time it feels deliberate. And once you find out what the optional boss it's pretty much a disappointment. And it's basically Gank Squad 2.0 but with a subtitle reading "Good luck fuckers!"

I like it. I've yet to beat the real final boss or the optional boss yet, but will focus on that tomorrow.

Overall, I think I got my $20 worth for the Season Pass. But if I had to recommend each DLC individually I would just say buy the 1st and last. If you really want to play everything in DS2 then get the 2nd one but it's very skippable IMHO.

VinFTW

This DLC was my favorite part of Dark Souls 2, IMO.

The season pass was so worth it. Dark Souls 2 was a fantastic game, but IMO, DLC 2 and DLC 3 were easily the best parts of it for me, with the 3rd DLC making Dark Souls 2 spectacular.

Def. worth the purchase.

neoism

Missed one spot and now have all 4 knights at the ready.

Quickie review of the 3rd DLC:

This is a lot like the 1st DLC (Crown of the Sunken King) in that it's very maze-like and it basically forces to re-explore the area but it does it in a way that it doesn't feel like you just have to re-do everything. But it's larger than the 1st DLC. The world here feels bigger unlike the other DLC where it feels confined.

Biggest complaint I have against it is the whole optional boss and the area leading up to it. That whole zone is very striking and exceedingly original. But what kills the experience (I should note that I'm NG++) are the constant enemy encounters. It actually reminds me of the constant ambushes in the 2nd DLC but maybe better implemented but still annoying? It's hard to describe. It doesn't feel like the designers said "Oh, let's just dump X number of enemies here. Done." like the 2nd DLC. This time it feels deliberate. And once you find out what the optional boss it's pretty much a disappointment. And it's basically Gank Squad 2.0 but with a subtitle reading "Good luck fuckers!"

I like it. I've yet to beat the real final boss or the optional boss yet, but will focus on that tomorrow.

Overall, I think I got my $20 worth for the Season Pass. But if I had to recommend each DLC individually I would just say buy the 1st and last. If you really want to play everything in DS2 then get the 2nd one but it's very skippable IMHO.

yup this is THE best season pass Ive ever bought ever... the last before this was BioShock Infinite's -____- a year wait and I didnt care anymore. I gonna be sad when this one is overa..

Hm, I would have to disagree that the 2nd is skippable. It has two of the best bosses in the game.

ElTopo

Banned
Hm, I would have to disagree that the 2nd is skippable. It has two of the best bosses in the game.

I agree that the Alone and Fume bosses are fantastic. But everything else kinda' sucked. Just terrible enemy placement, horrible optional boss (complete with broken hitboxes), and it's just not fun. That whole section with an NPC Invader that runs away in a spot where you can get cursed, and features a very tough enemy that cannot be killed unless you use a smelter wedge. That whole section was horrible.

So what's the verdict on the DLC? Worth buying all three?

The first two are great. I haven't played a ton of the third one yet, but loving it so far. So I'd definitely say the Season Pass is worth it.

I agree that the Alone and Fume bosses are fantastic. But everything else kinda' sucked. Just terrible enemy placement, horrible optional boss (complete with broken hitboxes), and it's just not fun. That whole section with an NPC Invader that runs away in a spot where you can get cursed, and features a very tough enemy that cannot be killed unless you use a smelter wedge. That whole section was horrible.

Hm, guess I'll just have to disagree. I found most of the OIK really fun. Even if I didn't enjoy the actual area, Fume Knight is my favorite boss in DS2, so for me it's worth it for just that fight. But to each his own.

Top Bottom