• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT++| Bearer of...Seek...Seek...Lest

ElTopo

Banned
I killed the demon far away from him so he didn't aggro. He was pretty weak alone.

The demons didn't put up much a fight and they did pitiful damage to me. Dealing with that invader is a bigger problem but luckily he can be cheesed with overhead swings by Hammer weapons.

Ruuppa

Just sit in front of the magic cave and shoot magic until the loot drops. It's all the rage these days. Every game's implementing that system.

Yaaaay..

Lots and lots of people are going to the Ivory King fight with only one Loyce Knight.. It becomes a huge slogfest, and everyone almost invariably dies.

Edit:
Where do I find the Outskirts? I'm currently up to (boss)
Burnt Ivory King
and I feel like I've explored everywhere else though I'm still missing one bonfire.

It's between the 2nd and the 3rd bonfire, behind a locked door on the outer ramparts of the wall. You find the key behind a 4 torch -locked door right before dropping down to the 2nd bonfire.

Where do I find the Outskirts? I'm currently up to (boss)
Burnt Ivory King
and I feel like I've explored everywhere else though I'm still missing one bonfire.

zkylon

zkylewd
so is this dlc hard compared to the other two?

i'm thinking if i should even bother with my ng++ character or just ascetic dragon aerie a couple times and buff up my anvil thing on my new game guy

ElFly

i'm thinking if i should even bother with my ng++ character or just ascetic dragon aerie a couple times and buff up my anvil thing on my new game guy

At least getting to the crown boss is way easier.

Haven't tried the rest of the area. Maybe tomorrow.

Ruuppa

The optional area of the DLC is one of the hardest, if not the hardest, area in the game. At least on your first time through.

Dear Fromsoft
Why the fuck did you think it was a good idea to have pyromancers that have range like lighting spear, enemies that take 3 LT hits form power-stanced KUGs+5 to die, and have those same enemies do about half my health even though I have Full Havels+5 and like 2300 health. Also having new ones appear when others die...

What the fuck is with this room in Crown of the Iron King? The one with the huge headless guy and 4 of these assholes running around. Taking even one hit will stagger you and guarantee you'll die, because they all do ludicrous damage. There are these skeletons walking around with explosive barrels, but every time I chase them into the pit, they do nothing. I can't get any enemies to hit them and there's no time to throw fire bombs at them. Just stand above and wait for everyone to saunter into place? It looks stupid.

KarmaCow

I just read just how many
Loyce Souls you need to get the Loyce Set: 50.

Farm Souls is real guys.

I assume
it also takes that much to break all the ice in the throne room? I have 6. D:

I might do it, I still haven't gotten to area with the optional boss.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So whats the consensus on the DLC so far? Without spoilers obviously.

Found it to be pretty mediocre. Encounter design is easily the worst it's been in the whole game. Just constant hordes of dudes with ranged fucks sniping you in every single room.

I beat it, but I certainly don't have any desire to ever play through it again.

Dear Fromsoft
Why the fuck did you think it was a good idea to have pyromancers that have range like lighting spear, enemies that take 3 LT hits form power-stanced KUGs+5 to die, and have those same enemies do about half my health even though I have Full Havels+5 and like 2300 health. Also having new ones appear when others die...

I just figured it out now, I knew there was likely going to be knights I had to find to block the other gates. Not sure if the woman said that in her speech, I didn't pay too close attention :/.

Found it to be pretty mediocre. Encounter design is easily the worst it's been in the whole game. Just constant hordes of dudes with ranged fucks sniping you in every single room.

I beat it, but I certainly don't have any desire to ever play through it again.

So more of the base game and the bullshit from the Iron King DLC huh? Damn...Ive played through the last two for the improved level design and new bosses but that sounds sorta disheartening. Hope the bosses are good at least.

Levyne

Banned
Woah, just beat the final boss of the DLC, very tense and cool.

I did use both summons and had the extra helper so it felt a little unearned >_>

neoism

ibc8KJVvCKMMDF.png
lol

I think this DLC is my favourite of the three. I enjoyed most of the first one and wasn't too hot on the second one due to the annoying enemies and encounters. I love the atmosphere and it truly feels huge and there are lots of shortcuts to open up, love it.

screenshot_2014_09_29_23_29_49_0_by_realghostvids-d811smg.jpg

My character Kent taking a break after yet another embarrassing defeat at the hands of that White Ring wearing bastard.

I think this DLC is my favourite of the three. I enjoyed most of the first one and wasn't too hot on the second one due to the annoying enemies and encounters. I love the atmosphere and it truly feels huge and there are lots of shortcuts to open up, love it.

screenshot_2014_09_29_23_29_49_0_by_realghostvids-d811smg.jpg

My character Kent taking a break after yet another embarrassing defeat at the hands of that White Ring wearing bastard.

Thank you for reminding me, I still need to kill that SoB. He's not an invader so Seed wouldn't work on him, would it?

Beck

Just beat the final boss in the Ivory King DLC, and it was done in like 20 seconds.
The Ivory King was attacking the last guy who was sacrificing himself, and i guess when he turned the portal into ice, it also took the boss with him.
Overall, I enjoyed this piece better than the last two.

Goddamn. The first boss was pretty tough so I had to summon for it, that makes two bosses I can't solo :/. So far this DLC is really fun, some enemies piss me off due to their health pool, high poise, insane poise damage and high damage all combined into one enemy.

I did like the golems that sucked your souls if you let em grab you though :p.

MG310

So, apparently I found out what you get when you visit Vendrick after getting the 3rd crown:

Big spoilers obviously
If you die while wearing any of the three crowns moving forward, you do not go hollow.

That's the surprise. Not that they make it clear at all.

The Ivory King Crown seems to have HP regen too.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Spoilars
It's kinda disappointing if all you get for beating all 3 dlc's is infinite Ring of Life Restoration. I was hoping for some alternate ending, or new area or something!

Mogwai

Can someone shed some light on whether this new DLC has gank squads like Sunken King? It's my biggest concern :/

Looking forward to get home and get started.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Can someone shed some light on whether this new DLC has gank squads like Sunken King? It's my biggest concern :/

If it did that would be awesome. Gank Squad was an intense boss.

2AdEPT

I agree that the Alone and Fume bosses are fantastic. But everything else kinda' sucked. Just terrible enemy placement, horrible optional boss (complete with broken hitboxes), and it's just not fun. That whole section with an NPC Invader that runs away in a spot where you can get cursed, and features a very tough enemy that cannot be killed unless you use a smelter wedge. That whole section was horrible.

Had more fun doing all that than much of the base game. I hated areas also, but then there are curse protect masks etc. to be found...i didnt even find it until after I got through with my own ingenuity, but hey, Im a vet and live for this kind of stuff....it would be WAAAY worse if it wasnt challenging, WAAAY worse. It wouldn't be souls games without the "love to hate" areas like blightown, valley of defilement, etc, etc.

Ive only started the third DLC just a few minutes ago but it looks cool...the claws on my shadow gear leggings make me think my character is ready to grip the ice!

Has anyone else noticed that they nerfed the punching animation in power stance. My vanquisher seal chick is winding up now and ruining my timing...I HATE it!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Respecing for the Crypt Greatsword was an awesome idea. I went back through everything I missed in the first two expansions -- I missed nearly everything, I hadn't even fought a boss. Very impressed. Aesthetically, it still doesn't look fantastic, but the level design reminded me of the best parts of Demon's Souls. I love getting deeper and deeper into areas. Brume Tower, in particular, brought back that awesome interconnected area feeling that I've been missing.

In all, very good stuff.

NEO0MJ

Although the ragdolls aren't that great, its funny when they get stuck in walls.

My favorite thing they do is when they start spasing and twitching uncontrollably.

No, though you might want to know that
the optional boss is fighting two of the first DLC boss at the same time.

Ivory King DLC Spoilers:
Am I supposed to kill those white kneeling enemies? I've been ignoring them so far.

They later turn aggressive. If you want to farm their set it might be a good idea to kill them before defeating the first boss.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
So, apparently I found out what you get when you visit Vendrick after getting the 3rd crown:

Big spoilers obviously
If you die while wearing any of the three crowns moving forward, you do not go hollow.

That's the surprise. Not that they make it clear at all.

It saves a
ring slot and your character won't get cursed (Curse resistance)?.

Haunted

Dear Fromsoft
mhm delicious haveltears

The Outskirts is a real clusterfuck, isn't it?

I made it to a larger structure by going left and found a helpful HP regen pool there. Beyond there I found myself trapped in a small building with a horse, some nut with a mastodon halberd, and a few regular hollows for good measure :(

I couldn't find anything except for a wall when I webt right, so I'm assuming left is the correct way to be heading.

Bleeether

I'm new to Dark Souls, and i've gotta say that im really enjoying the hell out of this game.

I just beat the first DLC and both the bosses really gave me a challenge, but it felt damn good when you see that victory achieved.

Anyone here into DS2 speed running? I'm gonna try it out after i beat the last two dlc.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
After playing through all the three DLC's, the main game looks strictly compartmentalized in both gameplay and progression (in a sort of generic manner).
While the DLC's are completely on a different level altogether, like DLC's themselves felt like a completely different game.

ElTopo

Banned
The Outskirts is a real clusterfuck, isn't it?

I made it to a larger structure by going left and found a helpful HP regen pool there. Beyond there I found myself trapped in a small building with a horse, some nut with a mastodon halberd, and a few regular hollows for good measure :(

I couldn't find anything except for a wall when I webt right, so I'm assuming left is the correct way to be heading.

Spoilers for How To Navigate the outskirts:

The big thing that will guide you to where you need to go and help you find your way after fighting a horse and losing whatever direction you were facing in,keep the Sun at your right.. There's no way you can miss the sun and when you get out of the coffin the sun should be almost directly behind you. If you keep the sun to your right it should lead to the first two structures[. The 3rd one requires you to have the Sun more at your back to the right rather than the shoulder. When you get to the 3rd structure and manage to clear out the enemies, take the right door and go straight.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Did the Charred Knights really have to give us another greatsword rather than that axe halberd thing?

Fucking greatswords.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I fail to see the fun in backpedal boss fights when playing solo. Often it all comes down to lazy boss design.

Thanks for the info.

I never backpedaled. I ran away and tried to seperate them and parry them but backpedaling seems like a good way to get smashed. Was nice to fight a human sized boss. The only thing I didnt like was From using one of a kind items on them, like Vargh using the Havel Armor and Cerah using Lucatiel's mask.

Top Bottom