• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

aFIGurANT

Keep talking to her.

Thanks for that. I just wish I still had all the souls I bought lifegems with though. They're gone now but my level is still way too low for good dps on the bosses.

Speaking of bosses how is one estus and increasingly lower lower health fair? This shit (
The Last Giant
) is way more brutal than the first boss of the first game.

Jb

Uh guys I need some help regarding wooden chests.
I've been preemptively attacking them fearing they might be mimics, it destroys them and gives me some Rubbish. Is it because there was indeed a trap or did I inadvertently destroy the content of the chest? :(

Maybesew

How hard is it to summon a good phantom, seriously.

Half these dolts keep running off on their own and dying, or I die because I get rushed by enemies and they aren't even remotely close to help.

Jeesh.

I must have been lucky this morning. I think out of the 10 or so times I was summoned we succeed all but once where the host got to aggressive and got himself killed. Both of the times I summoned I got good help. I'm sure its YMMV at this point.

kyubajin

Have avoided this thread like the plague to go as blind as possible but now I've just read about frame drops (PS3) and weightless-feeling combat and uninspired music and shit and I'm just scared :(

Also since the 14th is a Friday and Amazon Spain representative just told me that they cannot guarantee the game will be shipped to me that day so that it could arrive on the 21th at the last... that's 7 fucking days, not 2-3 days as their Premium service advertises. I'm so pissed :/

NIN90

I've been preemptively attacking them fearing they might be mimics, it destroys them and gives me some Rubbish. Is it because there was indeed a trap or did I inadvertently destroy the content of the chest? :(

oh god please dont let this be true

Someone earlier in the thread asked a similar question, quoting my own answer.

Thanks so much!

dude, I've played both souls games and got into the beta, but I'm lost. lol! it's almost like those old 90s adventure games, you have to "pixelhunt" to find key items/characters. was playing for 3 hours and had 13'000 souls with me, not knowing where I can level up.

you need a lot of patience for those games, because you can get very frustrated very fast.

---

so far, I'm enjoying the game, feels a lot bigger and the items are very scarce. I want to do sorcery but since I don't know how to get spells and the likes I went with the swordsman to get a good basic weapon as a start. boy, was that a good choice!

my first boss was
the dude with the halberd where all those giant knights are, he was easy, actually REALLY easy - I'm not sure if this game has some sort of tutorial boss? those unicorn-rhino thingies at the beginning were way too brutal.

Thanks for the input, I am really thinking about getting this!

These games are not as hard as a lot of people make them sound. People who aren't used to them think they're "hard" because every time they die they consider that a failure. It must be "hard" because I keep "failing" when I die. In Dark Souls, death is inevitable. It's not a failure state. Accept that you will die and lose your souls, but that you'll always get more. You'll have more fun and feel more willing to explore.

These games are loads of fun. There's a tutorial at the beginning introducing the basics. All the other mechanics are (largely) new, and if you're lost the online community is super helpful. Buy it. You sound like you want to.

Yes, I really want to, and I think your post may have put me over the edge. I want to try this, and my just go pick it up now.

vehn

It's gone forever until next playthrough, don't do that

aFIGurANT

Maybe its my controller thats going bad or something but does anyone find there's a big input delay on the 360...? makes the controls even more sluggish at first when you are trying to get use to everything...

Also whats the deal again with being dead or not...never fully understood this on this game...currently,after dying 3 times trying to jump while dashing to clear a gap,I am undead I guess...? my face is all green and skeletal looking...do I stay that way? does it matter..? can I be human or living again...?

I'm getting the same lag on the PS3, mostly when I hit Start to get to the menu. It takes 3 seconds to load up easy. Also the rolling and everything else is more sluggish now, you'll just have to get used to it or raise your ADP, it seems like. I'm still having a hard time myself. The first boss is kicking my ass.

And about the second bit, you need to use a Human Effigy (just use it, don't burn it) to turn human and summon people/go back to having a full health bar.

I'm kind of confused - is the non collector edition out today as well for Ps3? The image seems to say March 14..? Walmart.com doesn't even list Ps3 version non collector so I'm a little confused.

Zeliard

The auto-hide option for the HUD is a cool touch. Exploring around feels nicer without the screen clutter, and the HUD comes back when you're in combat. You can also always bring it back whenever by just swinging a weapon or hitting the d-pad. Works well.

The auto-hide option for the HUD is a cool touch. Exploring around feels nicer without the screen clutter, and the HUD comes back when you're in combat. You can also always bring it back whenever by just swinging a weapon or hitting the d-pad. Works well.

This is great. I always used the dsfix remove hud key for screenshots.

georly

oh god please dont let this be true

It's
gone forever until next playthrough,
don't do that

Oh my god that's super scary. Sigh.
Guess i'm dying to every mimic once.

Why did my char turned to a dudette? :/

Because
you stepped into a coffin. No idea why.

Grudy

I checked the options but I missed the auto-hide :eek: thanks!

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Spent all day at stupid school waiting to get home so I could go to stupid EB to buy this stupid game and the stupid jerks are sold out.

BOOOO!!!!

:(

There goes my evening of ignoring my girlfriend and pilfering my sister's pot stash.

Footos22

Just hit them once. They don't break unless multiple hits.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Even with a beta, "FromSoftware" can't give us the online functionality on day 1. This is sad, pathetic and aggravating as hell.

Fhtagn

Good god this game is hard. Loving it.

I have found a shocking number of paths to explore. It reminds me of the very first time I played Demon's Souls and was awed by Boletaria 1-1. This is a lot like that but I managed to explore for 6 hours and only just found (and defeated) a boss.
The Last Giant.
The fast travel makes sense in the context of this level design and yet I've also found a lot of clever shortcuts.

I have some minor quibbles that I am chalking up to getting used to the new game, but I have encountered (and died) because of unexpected invincibility frames on enemies. Curious to see if that continues to be a hassle or if I get used to it quickly.

Grudy

(spoiler about first boss reward)

Should I save the soul I received from defeating the last giant so it can be used later to forge weapons/items like in demon souls? I didn't play much of dark souls so I dunno if this is still a thing.

Fhtagn

Who is the "first boss" supposed to be? Is there a canonical one? I went almost six hours before encountering one and have found a bunch of places I can go...

Now that everyone has the game: Is it more like Demon's Souls like some people said or is it more of a Dark Souls expansion like other people have said? I thought Demon's Souls was a far superior game, so if it's closer to that I'd be all over it.

Also, to the people who are farther into the game/beaten it (I'm sure there are a few), did they give up on the level design halfway through the game like in Dark Souls? Cause I still liked Dark Souls a lot, but the level design was butt after you get the Golden Salad Bowl from Gwynevere.

So im confused, I just started the game and am in the first part and it says i picked up torch and soul of lost undead... But for the life of me I can't find my torch, I restarted the game again thinking it was a bug, but I don't see torch. Is this just my game??? Should it appear in weapon selection or items? Any help would be great, thanks...

Stuck here in the library working on a group project. Dark Souls II sitting in my backpack.

Might get to play a little bit come Wednesday afternoon. uggggggh jealous

hypernima

Banned
For people who have Dark Souls 2, is playing DS1 REALLY necessary to knowing the lore?

I have tried my all to play DS1 but because my GFWL login never works I couldn't save my game.

So im confused, I just started the game and am in the first part and it says i picked up torch and soul of lost undead... But for the life of me I can't find my torch, I restarted the game again thinking it was a bug, but I don't see torch. Is this just my game??? Should it appear in weapon selection or items? Any help would be great, thanks...

No. You press Triangle or Y at a bonfire and it will switch to light the torch. Also there is a spell that will light the torch...you simply cast it.

:)

Jarrod38

If I remember correct you pick it up from the first bon fire.

Grudy

Go to the bonfire and press triangle :)

Marcel

The game is about the level of difficulty I was expecting in terms of encounters and boss fights, but the thing I'm having the most trouble with is maintaining weapon durability. Any advice outside of carrying repair powders or refining?

Edit: Yes, I'm aware that weapons repair at the bonfire.

TheContact

in the very beginning
punching those demons in the grass has them gang up on you, if there a reward or anything for killing them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom