• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grisby

For people who have Dark Souls 2, is playing DS1 REALLY necessary to knowing the lore?

I have tried my all to play DS1 but because my GFWL login never works I couldn't save my game.
No, dark souls story isn't really needed for the sequel. Enjoy the gameplay and the atmosphere.

Ok so a game mechanic question that I'll put into spoilers
how the heck do I restore the life I lost when I die? I'm at half health and butting my head against the wall

Grudy

Ok so a game mechanic question that I'll put into spoilers
how the heck do I restore the life I lost when I die? I'm at half health and butting my head against the wall

You can use a human effigy but apparently it also respawns all the enemies in the area and puts them at NG+ difficulty. Also they seem to be a bit rare :x

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I dont find backstabbing any harder honestly. Only the enemies that got skates on that seem to always face you are obnoxious.

ironcreed

Banned
I am only just out of the starting area and in Majula, but can already tell I'll love it. It's absolutely dripping with an incredible atmosphere and I am just taking my time, getting my bearings and taking it all in. However, I did make the mistake of attacking the hungry-hungry hippo looking guys and promptly got turned into a snack. Yep, this is Dark Souls alright.

Gameplay-wise, it feels kind of different, yet the same. I guess the best way to describe it is that it seems to play with a bit more fluidity. I like it. I am going to have to get used to jumping with the L3 press, though. But I suppose it feels natural enough and will become second nature in no time. Good times and many deaths await!

For people who have Dark Souls 2, is playing DS1 REALLY necessary to knowing the lore?

I have tried my all to play DS1 but because my GFWL login never works I couldn't save my game.

No but you'll definitely miss out on some very awesome cameos and easter eggs.

Game has never been lore heavy, and this is technically a "different time".

I would say to play the first two games anyway just because they're amazing in their own right.

Just received black armor edition from amazon, and steelbook case is all bent and crushed. Super. Or course can't return for replacement.

Sendero

Anyone have that link for the stat calculator? I cannot remember what page it was on and it's not on the first page.
Here it goes:
https://sites.google.com/site/darksouls2stats/

Uh guys I need some help regarding wooden chests.
I've been preemptively attacking them fearing they might be mimics, it destroys them and gives me some Rubbish. Is it because there was indeed a trap or did I inadvertently destroy the content of the chest? :(
Haha. I'm waiting for the PC master race version, so kinda wish hadn't spoiled myself on this, just to see my reaction. From's trolling hard it seems. Good stuff.

Ricker

I am only just out of the starting area and in Majula, but can already tell I'll love it. It's absolutely dripping with an incredible atmosphere and I am just taking my time, getting my bearings and taking it all in. However, I did make the mistake of attacking the hungry-hungry hippo looking guys and promptly got turned into a snack. Yep, this is Dark Souls alright.

Gameplay-wise, it feels kind of different, yet the same. I guess the best way to describe it is that it seems to play with a bit more fluidity. I like it. I am going to have to get used to jumping with the L3 press, though. But I suppose it feels natural enough and will become second nature in no time. Good times and many deaths await!

I changed it to B(O) on the 360 because well L3 wasnt working...a little awkward for sure ,my first death came when they tell you how how to sprint and jump,and roll,or Backstep,all using B now for me...I have a swordsman but I think before I go to far I will change class...

Even with the lightning downgrade this game seems to be a good step up in the visual department.
Manjula
is beautiful.

lyKK0j5.gif
?

ironcreed

Banned
I changed it to B(O) on the 360 because well L3 wasnt working...a little awkward for sure ,my first death came when they tell you how how to sprint and jump,and roll,or Backstep,all using B now for me...I have a swordsman but I think before I go to far I will change class...

So you can change it back to tapping O/B while sprinting? I may go ahead and do that myself. It's just what I am used to.

Playing this on PS3 right now. I have a huge smile on my face, whose twisted mofos at From Software still got the touch! I love how the game starts off with an optional challenging foe, most newbs would crumble under its strength but not the well trained like us! Loving it so far, can't believe it's really here.

-Ryn

Banned
Spent about 40 minutes in the character creation. They really expanded on the options.
Kinda sucks how few hairstyles there are but the ones they have at least look much better than in Dark Souls.
Can't wait to play more of this

You mean it has you....
"Bearer of the curse, seek misery.
Till this frail hope shatters.
Lest this land swallow you whole.
As it has so many others."

It already has me in it's grasp.

"Your wings will burn in anguish, time after time. For that is your fate... the fate of the cursed."

Where do I go after beating
Old Dragonslayer, the Giant, and Pursuer?

I'm traipsing around the area with the
giant club turtle shell dues
but I can't seem to find the next logical path.

Finally home! Now for many hours of Souls goodness. Ahhhhhhhhh.

Is the CE worth it?

I haven't really had a chance to look at the art book or listen to the soundtrack, but the map is pretty sweet and the figurine is of decent size and quality. I'm glad I got it.

Is explorer potentially one of the better classes to start with? It includes the petrified something, which means you can chose one of the other items.

Kensuke

Earthen Peak spoiler. I need some info.

The mimic there killed me, but also died from poison. His item is now gone forever. Does anyone know what item he held? Goddamit.

Jobbs

Banned
Oh shit, just stumbled into
basically what is another blight town. framerate is ok, though.

the more you play the game the more it seems like a souls game. felt a bit weird at first.

LordCanti

Earthen Peak spoiler. I need some info.

The mimic there killed me, but also died from poison. His item is now gone forever. Does anyone know what item he held? Goddamit.

I can't remember exactly, but I don't think it was anything spectacular.

Oh shit, just stumbled into
basically what is another blight town. framerate is ok, though.

the more you play the game the more it seems like a souls game. felt a bit weird at first.

That was, honestly, one of the only times I've groaned while playing the game. (assume that all of the rest is a mid-game DS2 spoiler)
In Dark Souls, Blight Town had low visibility but you could tell that the draw distance was really far (which caused the framerate drops on consoles). Here, the version of Valley of Defilement/Blight Town that they have on offer doesn't have very far of a draw distance at all. Getting through is one part crap shoot and another part squint. I wasn't impressed.

lordxar

Been avoiding this thread like the plague since I wanted a PS4 version but I caved like a weak kneed child. Getting ready to install now. I'm prepared to die...a lot!

halfbeast

Banned
people who have problems with the online multiplayer, are you in the US? I noticed there's a restricted/open server-option in the menu. maybe that would cause the issue? I couldn't summon anyone but a looooot of people summoned me (and very quickly, I might add). just curious what's causing those summon errors.

Question about the one of the enemies. Not that spoilerish.

There's this guy in white armor just sitting near a tree near that ambush. Is he a enemy or do I have to do something before he'll talk to me?

stupei

So...I might have did a bit to much exploring and dying. Weapons are going to need some repairs, ASAP.

How can I get the blacksmith up and running quickly?

You need to
buy the key to his shop from the vendor at the bonfire in the forest of fallen giants.

taoofjord

So I haven't picked it up yet (was planning on waiting for the PC version but I'm getting a little antsy) but after skimming the last 5 or so pages and not seeing too many overall impressions I was wondering what the consensus is so far?

I'm guessing: Different, a little clunky, but still good although too soon to say whether it's a worthy entry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom