• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Ok so I just got to
Majula
and its gorgeous.

However in terms of summoning fellow DSII players is there any person or item I need to get? I heard they switched up a little. I see messages and phantoms but no summon signs. Spoiler tags please.

LordCanti

(Spoilers for a covenant/question)
To get into the invasion covenant in the beta, you killed Nahr Alma after the Chariots and a grave appeared with his ghost. I killed him in the final game and....no grave. I have his hood/scythe.. uhh....where'd he go?

It has to be the same class of weapons. The Swordsman starting weaps can't go into the power stance with each other because one is a curved sword and the other is a straight sword. If you find another curved sword or straight sword - or two daggers, two axes, etc - you can then equip both to go into the power stance by holding triangle.

You'll know you're in the stance because your character will raise both weapons a bit, and you get new moves on L1 and L2.

Thanks for this, was getting confused :)

ok another question where is the orange soapstone at to write messages

I'd like to know as well!

The
trio of giant knights
in
Heides
are kicking my ass so hard as melee, and i'm out of arrows ;_;

God, feels so good to be challenged by a game again

nothing beats tricking them into lunging off of ledges
which is surprisingly doable.

anddo0

I feel so weak, here at the beginning. I've been playing a while now and haven't made my way to the first boss yet. The grunts in this game are no joke, right now anyway.

It has to be the same class of weapons. The Swordsman starting weaps can't go into the power stance with each other because one is a curved sword and the other is a straight sword. If you find another curved sword or straight sword - or two daggers, two axes, etc - you can then equip both to go into the power stance by holding triangle.

You'll know you're in the stance because your character will raise both weapons a bit, and you get new moves on L1 and L2.

I thought it was the same type? like Slash or thrust weapons. If its class, thats really gonna limit the creativity and use of the power stance.

Grudy

I feel so weak, here at the beginning. I've been playing a while now and haven't made my way to the first boss yet. The grunts in this game are no joke, right now anyway.

Same here, first time playing sorcerer and I'm really struggling against them without a shield or a decent melee weapons
I love it

Zeliard

I thought it was supposed to, in addition to move speed, but there's been so many conflicting things out there I just don't know.

Yeah, I'm still quite early so I don't know. I sort of just assumed it did because your swings are noticeably delayed relative to previous games even with DEX weapons, but maybe that's just the way it is now.

Thanks for this, was getting confused :)

Also in case you didn't know, you can hit triangle/Y to two-hand the weapon in your right hand, and hold triangle/Y to two-hand the weapon in your left hand.

Not only does that give you more options as far as attacks go, but you can also now parry while two-handing.

zma1013

If I happen to find a black armor edition of Dark Souls 2 on a store shelf, does it have the bonus pre-order weapons voucher inside of it too? My copy apparently won't be sent to my house for another week.

Maybesew

Ok so I just got to
Majula
and its gorgeous.

However in terms of summoning fellow DSII players is there any person or item I need to get? I heard they switched up a little. I see messages and phantoms but no summon signs. Spoiler tags please.

You need to be human to see summon signs.

If you are looking to be summoned:

You get the white soapstone from Pate in the forest of the giants

I just wanted to ask if anyone knows... With the PSN pre-order will the bonus weapons be in the game by default? or is there a separate download for them?

I ask because I went to go download the game this morning, and there wasn't a separate set of items as a bonus DLC or anything like normal pre-order bonuses usually are.

(sorry if this has been answered, don't want to read through the thread and risk spoilers, and CTRL-F resulted in nothing)

According to a post on reddit, the items will be available later today - you'll have to go to Account Management and then Downloads and then they will be there to download at some point. There's a Namco rep on there who mentioned that it was a problem on Sony's end.

Jeramii

Banned
According to a post on reddit, the items will be available later today - you'll have to go to Account Management and then Downloads and then they will be there to download at some point. There's a Namco rep on there who mentioned that it was a problem on Sony's end.

excellent, thank you for the reply.

KingKong

For those who are decently far into the game, how are the environments? It seems like it isn't one big connected world anymore right?

Lmao there are kids in this thread talking about adp raising attack speed. No.

willy-wonka-wilder.jpg

Look for
braziers

braziers
? I don't understand. The sign said bonfires can light torches. I just don't understand if torches are one use and I need to find more or if I can relight the same torch because I don't have the option of lighting a torch at a bonfire right now, no matter what combination of items I have equipped in either slot or if I press Triangle.

Looking at the swordsman class stats... Does dexterity play a role in dual wielding or just mean that you will be more likely to dual wield dex weapons?

Jobbs

Banned
hey guys. you know that hole near majula at the start of the game?

I have questions.

I bought the cat ring and was able to make my way down. I found a couple bonfires but the only way to go ultimately seems to be this "boss encounter" but it's really just a horde of endless spawning rats. eventually a rat healthbar comes up, I suspect maybe it's a rat hidden in the crowd, but I can't make any headway. do I need to be here? can do I this yet?

spliced

Just started, so pumped to experience something new after going through DS so many times.

Had some monkey dogs freak me out and I think I may have seen bigfoot.

JoeFenix

I'm thinking the
Company of Champions covenant
might actually make enemies more aggressive as well. These guys are relentless and brutal, they gang up and constantly do lunge or jump attacks from afar.

It's been a really fun and methodical experience so far, good stuff! Dying and losing more of your Max HP really matters, you don't want to needlessly waste those human effigies.

Sullichin

I wrote a long spoiler free write up of my impressions so far (~45 hours of play). If there's a problem linking to my own site I'll remove it or just post the whole thing here.

http://99humanity.com/dark-souls-2-review-impressions.html

hey guys. you know that hole near majula at the start of the game?

I have questions.

I bought the cat ring and was able to make my way down. I found a couple bonfires but the only way to go ultimately seems to be this "boss encounter" but it's really just a horde of endless spawning rats. eventually a rat healthbar comes up, I suspect maybe it's a rat hidden in the crowd, but I can't make any headway. do I need to be here? can do I this yet?

Hmmm...unless it's a different area,
I arrived at this area a different way and the boss fight played out normally. I haven't dropped down the hole in Majula yet so maybe it's a different rat boss, but probably not. The one I fought was Royal Rat Authority.
Kind of a shit boss.

Zeliard

So what does it do?

According to Aeana, from the guide:

"It raises HP, increases poison bonus, increases all resistances, raises agility and can boost poise if the stat is raised in tandem with endurance."

"For example, if you have 10 adaptability and 10 endurance, adding 1 point of endurance will not increase your poise. on the other hand, if you have 11 points of adaptability and 10 points of endurance, adding 1 more point of endurance will increase your poise."

"Agility boosts the ease of evasion and other actions. This allows you to do things like drink Estus faster. that's about all it says about agility except that it makes sure to point out that it does not improve parry speed"

So I think I've decided to try a battle mage build, focus mainly on melee but still have some magic at my disposal. It seems like Swordsman is probably best to start with for that, right?

Jobbs

Banned
I find myself a bit at a loss with how to level my character due to how many useful stats there are, which is a fun concept. right now I'm:

level 46
vig 14
end 16
vit 12
atn 2
str 22
dex 20
adp 4
int 1
faith 8

I've basically gone down a quality build but I'm not sure how far to take it or where to branch off and how to deal with adeptation/vig/end/etc.

Sullichin

According to Aeana, from the guide:

"It raises HP, increases poison bonus, increases all resistances, raises agility and can boost poise if the stat is raised in tandem with endurance."

"For example, if you have 10 adaptability and 10 endurance, adding 1 point of endurance will not increase your poise. on the other hand, if you have 11 points of adaptability and 10 points of endurance, adding 1 more point of endurance will increase your poise."

"Agility boosts the ease of evasion and other actions. This allows you to do things like drink Estus faster. that's about all it says about agility except that it makes sure to point out that it does not improve parry speed"

Damn son

pedr0theli0n

Neo Member
anyone have a good grasp on what to level up first? I'm thinking leveling vigor probably isn't a bad call but not sure what else I should focus on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom