• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit I don't know if anyone went this way but if you keep going down after
the Dragonrider boss
you'll find your way to the
Warf area. Activate something there, spawns a GODDAMN GHOST PIRATE SHIP (no ghosts on board though except maybe the boss. Then you commandeer the ship and it brings you to the next area!!!!

Sullichin

Has anyone found a merchant that can absolve sin? I hit an NPC with 3-4 arrows from a distance and he ended up aggroing him by mistake.

In Brightstone Cove, you fight a boss in a church. After that fight there's a ladder leading to the top of the church on the outside. You can backtrack from the chapel threshold bonfire.

Nice writeup. I hope there's eventually something like O&S that just kicks your ass though.

Thanks! One boss so far would have fit that description if I hadn't realized I could go another way after a while

dalVlatko

I didn't follow much of the pre-release coverage but I remember people complaining that they made the game easier than the first Dark Souls.

It seems like the exact opposite to me. I'm getting killed by every enemy and the bonfires aren't in very forgiving places.

hao chi

So does anybody know yet if the Seed of a Tree of Giants is a one time use item? I'm debating between it and the Life Ring as my gift.

Zeliard

So how are people feeling about the "weight" and "feel" of the combat now?

After putting a few points into Adaptability, it generally feels fine, but I'm still not really a fan of the newfound attack wind-up and recovery times on certain DEX weapons.

The dual-wielding stuff is great, however. That's a very welcome addition.

Parry windows also seem a bit more forgiving, which is going to either be a plus or minus depending on your perspective.

Ruin Sentinels
are absolutely kicking my ass. Anywhere else I can go after
Pursuer
?

Yeah go to
Heide. The opposite way as the Forest if youre starting at Majula. Go through a stone archway past the contraption that doesn't budge, down the stairs and open the floodgate thing at the bottom

Gbraga

Parry windows also seem a bit more forgiving, which is going to either be a plus or minus depending on your perspective.

Wow, even more? I thought it would be harder, since looks like they removed quite a few invincibility frames from the roll.

Yeah go to
Heide. The opposite way as the Forest if youre starting at Majula. Go through a stone archway past the contraption that doesn't budge, down the stairs and open the floodgate thing at the bottom

The chain to pull is about 10 pixels big and very easy to miss.

2AdEPT

How do you get to
Heide
? I'd like to know as well.
east mujula if west is the starting area.
Holy crap the bow & arrows are so much more easy to use and powerful in this game compared to DS1.
and throwing knives also!
ok another question where is the orange soapstone at to write messages
in the menu, no stone needed.
My clever & witty 'trap ahead' sign that warns of a trap ahead just saved my life with the slight heal. So clutch.
I rate and leave dirty joke messages more though....think I got rated up while playing at least 1 per hour, prolly a little more even.

Majula pit spoiler question
if you take the item in the tent is the cat lady gone for good?
I went back there and she is nowhere to be found after I took the item...cant even remember what the item was?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
After putting a few points into Adaptability, it generally feels fine, but I'm still not really a fan of the newfound attack wind-up and recovery times on certain DEX weapons.

The dual-wielding stuff is great, however. That's a very welcome addition.

Good to hear that dual wielding is good. Definitely want to do a dual wield build at some point.

Anyone have any impressions of the great (heavy) weapons?

TraBuch

Banned
Yeah go to

Ugh. I've been down there five times and I somehow missed the handle each time. Thanks for the tip.

njean777

I really feel like the healing in this game is kinda whack. I mean it is like there is nothing on purpose. I have no life gems and only 2 estus flasks. At this point I am getting annoyed about it, it's just so annoying having to reset all the enemies every single time. I mean dark souls was perfect in my opinion, the way they have it now is just stupid. Also the weapon breaking is annoying as fuck as well, why in the world did they change that system as well. At this point they have seemed to make it harder just for the sake of doing so. I like everything else about the game but these two things are really starting to get to me.

MrDaravon

I feel that the parry window (at least with shields) is actually tighter, but that could be just me not being used to the timing now as well has having shitty shields.

Can't emphasize how unhappy I am that they got rid of how riposte works from the last game. I was largely able to relatively breeze through the last game by doing parry/riposte, but it just doesn't work the same here. Not sure what it is with me and this game, but this game is just not working out for me. On the section of the game I am at now with regular enemies I have literally already died more times than I died on every boss in the last game combined. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I've already surpassed Bed of Chaos frustration in this game, and this is just me trying to get around and deal with regular enemies.

Zeliard

Wow, even more? I thought it would be harder, since looks like they removed quite a few invincibility frames from the roll.

Rolling isn't quite as strong as in previous games (though that may change if you get Adaptability high enough), and it seems harder to circle-strafe around enemies for the backstab since they spin around more quickly to meet you.

But yeah parrying to me does feel more forgiving. I think it's for the better if it encourages people to parry more often, since a lot of people just went for the backstab in previous games.

Defunkled

I feel like an idiot, but when does the woman appear next to The Far Fire in Majula? I'm about to fight the first boss but I want to be able to level up and get an Estus Flask.

Did I miss something?

I really feel like the healing in this game is kinda whack. I mean it is like there is nothing on purpose. I have no life gems and only 2 estus flasks. At this point I am getting annoyed about it, it's just so annoying having to reset all the enemies every single time. I mean dark souls was perfect in my opinion, the way they have it now is just stupid. Also the weapon breaking is annoying as fuck as well, why in the world did they change that system as well. At this point they have seemed to make it harder just for the sake of doing so. I like everything else about the game but these two things are really starting to get to me.

I would definitely suggest taking more time to explore your areas. About 3 hours in I was sitting on 3 Estus+1 Flasks and I'm currently at 5. I don't ever use life gems because ADP makes Estus drinking faster than life gems.

I think the animations are fine. I'm playing a dual wielder (swordsman class) and if no one had ever complained I wouldn't have thought twice. Also glad to see that the walking/running animation is like that sliding on ice gif that had been going around after the beta.

2AdEPT

I feel that the parry window (at least with shields) is actually tighter, but that could be just me not being used to the timing now as well has having shitty shields.

Can't emphasize how unhappy I am that they got rid of how riposte works from the last game. I was largely able to relatively breeze through the last game by doing parry/riposte, but it just doesn't work the same here. Not sure what it is with me and this game, but this game is just not working out for me. On the section of the game I am at now with regular enemies I have literally already died more times than I died on every boss in the last game combined. I'm probably doing something wrong, but I've already surpassed Bed of Chaos frustration in this game, and this is just me trying to get around and deal with regular enemies.

I hear ya bro, I got borderline rage a couple times now and I'm a big fanboy....you will get better and you will not suffer eternally. I broke the curve myself only a few minutes ago and finally have better weapons than the dagger I got from the explorer at start. Once you get a little tougher than the enemies you face its easier to learn their patterns.

halfbeast

Banned
I feel like an idiot, but when does the woman appear next to The Far Fire in Majula? I'm about to fight the first boss but I want to be able to level up and get an Estus Flask.

Did I miss something?

did you scan the area? I missed her too, she was staring at a tree or something near the cliffs. she'll move to the bonfire after your first encounter.

Saw Sesslers review.

Is it true the hit detection is wonky in the game?

not gonna lie, not a fan of the combat so far. I stood next to a weak enemy literally so close our balls were touching. I missed when swinging with my scimitar, don't know if it's because he was going for a heavy attack and leaned backwards a bit or because of its animation. there were quite a few moments where I had to call bullshit on the not-hitting-part.

Gbraga

Rolling isn't quite as strong as in previous games (though that may change if you get Adaptability high enough), and it seems harder to circle-strafe around enemies for the backstab since they spin around more quickly to meet you.

But yeah parrying to me does feel more forgiving. I think it's for the better if it encourages people to parry more often, since a lot of people just went for the backstab in previous games.

Didn't know that. Those people were missing on something really satisfying.

njean777

I would definitely suggest taking more time to explore your areas. About 3 hours in I was sitting on 3 Estus+1 Flasks and I'm currently at 5. I don't ever use life gems because ADP makes Estus drinking faster than life gems.

I am at
old wharf
and have been playing for 5 hours now. I have no clue how you got five estus at 3 hours in.

2AdEPT

Did I miss something?

she's usually around, just check around the area..she is like maiden in black from Demon's who likes to stand in different spots.

Progress report!

Just beat
the Last Giant
. Pretty good for a first boss fight, especially when he
rips his arm off and mixes up his moveset. Actually died a couple times. He's easy to evade but when he hits he hits like a truck. Fight was made a lot easier by him tripping and falling on his ass.

Couple questions about this area. One,
I investigated the area for Pate but died. Now the gate appears to be permenantly closed. Is there any way back in there?
Two,
I found that asshole who got dropped off by the eagle. I died to him once unsurprisingly but when I went back to rechallenge him he wasn't there. Do you only have so many opportunities to fight this guy?

I lied, third question: what does the Champions covenant do? I signed up just to see what it was but didn't get any sort of explanation.

Also chose Petrified Something as my gift. I realize it's probably just another useless joke item but there wasn't a master key equivilent so I just chose whatever.

Also did anyone notice
on the long collapsed column where you find the halberd there's now two hollowed soldiers instead of the turtle knight that used to be there in preview footage?
Is my memory serving me well here?

njean777

Progress report!

Just beat
the Last Giant
. Pretty good for a first boss fight, especially when he
rips his arm off and mixes up his moveset. Actually died a couple times. He's easy to evade but when he hits he hits like a truck.

Couple questions about this area. One,
I investigated the area for Pate but died. Now the gate appears to be permenantly closed. Is there any way back in there?
Two, [/spoiler]I found that asshole who got dropped off by the eagle. I died to him once unsurprisingly but when I went back to rechallenge him he wasn't there. Do you only have so many opportunities to fight this guy?[/spoiler]

I lied, third question: what does the Champions covenant do? I signed up just to see what it was but didn't get any sort of explanation.

Also chose Petrified Something as my gift. I realize it's probably just another useless joke item but there wasn't a master key equivilent so I just chose whatever.

Also did anyone notice
on the long collapsed column where you find the halberd there's now two hollowed soldiers instead of the turtle knight that used to be there in preview footage?
Is my memory serving me well here?

Champions covenant makes the game harder.

2AdEPT

Hey guys help....I'm seriously going to start over if taking the item
where the cat lady talks to you in the tent
means she is gone for good. I don't like missing important things like that especially rings. Does she come back ever or am I hooped?

Sanctuary

Adaptability doesn't have any effect on weight or impact though. It feels very off compared to the first two games. Like what you're hitting isn't really solid any longer nor that the weapons themselves have any heft behind them.

phierce

Holy shit I don't know if anyone went this way but if you keep going down after
the Dragonrider boss
you'll find your way to the
Warf area. Activate something there, spawns a GODDAMN GHOST PIRATE SHIP (no ghosts on board though except maybe the boss. Then you commandeer the ship and it brings you to the next area!!!!
Ohhhh...that's fucking awesome!

Sullichin

Hey guys help....I'm seriously going to start over if taking the item
where the cat lady talks to you in the tent
means she is gone for good. I don't like missing important things like that especially rings. Does she come back ever or am I hooped?

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about,
but the cat in Majula is in a house for me on the opposite side of the far flame. I think she moves her position within the room. I didn't buy anything from her though, not sure if she gave me an item either. What item?

njean777

Well that fucking explains everything. How the hell do I leave it?

I think you can go back and there is a leave option when you interact with the stone, if not then I have no clue. You could try to join the other covenant at majula. The guy is at the top of the stairs by the level up lady.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I think you can go back and there is a leave option when you interact with the stone, if not then I have no clue. You could try to join the other covenant at majula. The guy is at the top of the stairs by the level up lady.

Nah,
You talk to the cat and she offers a Abandon Covenant option.

Grinchy

Banned
I beat the first boss earlier,
the Last Giant
, and I was able to level up my character some more. I am up to like 14 ADP already and I've been able to add some health and more DEX.

Swordsman was insanely hard while I was at half health with no stats. I was only able to beat the boss because I used an effigy first. Before that everything was a one-shot death. I'm really liking this game a lot so far.

halfbeast

Banned

here's a tip how to leave a covenant: nya! =^.^=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom