• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakura

Okay, so here's what happened: I downloaded DSII on launch day from PSN. Been marathoning it pretty hard yesterday and today. I'm 20 hours in as a Sorcerer, Soul Level 63, beat quite a few bosses, had a blast.

The one strange thing is that I've played pretty much all of the game ignoring the torch mechanic. At the start of the game when it was introduced I lit one or two torches after the first bonfire, and then just kinda forgot about it and ignored it until 20 hours later I came to a part in the game where you need to light a torch to get an NPC to trigger to do something.

At that point I found that I couldn't use the torch feature...when you go to a bonfire, you're supposed to be able to press triangle to toggle between 'Rest at Bonfire' or 'Light Torch', but I just don't get that option. When I went to the inventory screen, my torch's timer is at all zeros, even though it's supposed to be at five minutes, which is how long you get by default. You're supposed to be able to pick up torches during the game that increase the time your torch is lit. Odd, and odder still that in my 20 hours of play I didn't come across any of these torch upgrades...

I figured it was a rather unfortunate bug, and after much hemming and hawing I said 'fuck it' and re-rolled another character. Another sorcerer, pretty much the same thing. 20 hours down the drain, but screw it, I need to use the torches! Ran through the opening a second time, then grabbed the first torch you get in the tutorial. Boom. Ran out into the first real 'game' area, lit up a bunch of the pyres (I dunno what you call them) then when my torch's timer went down to zero I ran back to the bonfire to relight it.

Here's where it gets super weird- I get to the bonfire, and AGAIN the game gives me no option to toggle between 'light torch' and 'use bonfire'. Keep in mind this is a brand new save file, new character. WTF?!? How does that even make sense? I checked my inventory, and the torch's timer is at all zeroes. To quote John McLean, how does the same shit happen to the same guy twice? Super weird.

I run through to the next bonfire in the game, and sure enough, no toggle. My copy of Dark Souls II doesn't want me to use torches. VIsiting phantoms can light torches no problem, but I can't. Just weird.

Really, what can this be? If it's a bug, I have a feeling we'd have heard some reports of it by now. Maybe it's a sorcerer specific thing? I dunno. I''ll roll a new character class tomorrow, see what happens. If the same thing happens, what am I to think? That I have a defective copy of the game? A defective digital copy of the game? Does that even make sense?

I dunno guys, it's just weird. Any advice would be helpful, just to figure out what I'm dealing with here.

TL;DR

1. Torches don't work in my copy of game
2. Even rolled a new character, new save file
3. What the fuck?
4. What can/should I do?

I think you are misunderstanding how torches work. When the timer is at zero, it's gone, and you have to find a new torch. It doesn't "reset" at bonfires. The reason you had a torch in the beginning of your first play through, is because you picked it up, used it for 5 minutes, then it ran out. You don't go relight it. You need to find more.

Is the framerate good on PS3 version of Dark Souls 2???

Just remembering Blightown still gives me nightmares for the wrong reasons...

Been pretty good for me so far. Better than DS1 definitely.

Nothing feels like a cohesive progression order, and the game is kind of disappointing to me because of that.

I did like that there was kind of a goal set out for you in Dark Souls: ring the two bells, get the Lordvessel, fill the Lordvessel. In this one so far I'm supposed to go find the King? That's really all the direction I've been given. Not where the King is, or what direction I should go, just...go find this dude.

Plissken

Pursuer is an optional, so you can just go the other way from masajul. I notice how easy it is to kill the smaller bosses, just strafe around them as close to them as you can and look for an opening after they attack. Works almost every time. I've killed 3 bosses thus far that way.
I'll skip him for now then. I haven't been back to Majula except once to level, totally forgot about the other path there, thanks!

I think you are misunderstanding how torches work. When the timer is at zero, it's gone, and you have to find a new torch. It doesn't "reset" at bonfires. The reason you had a torch in the beginning of your first play through, is because you picked it up, used it for 5 minutes, then it ran out. You don't go relight it. You need to find more.

Ah, okay! I hope that's the case, and that I'm just a big idiot. How common are torches though? It seems weird that in 20 hours of playing I haven't come across any.

Shinta

Banned
Man, I'm getting my ass handed to me pretty convincingly.

I can't believe how different this game feels. The backstabs, the parries, the recover time after attacks, blocks and dodges. They seem to have really discouraged any kind of rapid technical play, and are going way more for a heavy, weighted almost bushido blade style.

Really feels like a totally different game. I haven't even tried magic yet.

How do you level up now? I honestly can't find it.

ultron87

I did like that there was kind of a goal set out for you in Dark Souls: ring the two bells, get the Lordvessel, fill the Lordvessel. In this one so far I'm supposed to go find the King? That's really all the direction I've been given. Not where the King is, or what direction I should go, just...go find this dude.

Yeah, that is kind of weird. They give you the "get 4 big souls" quest too, but I really have no idea if any of the things I've killed actually count as any of those souls. I've killed three bosses now and have no idea if those all counted or not.

I can't believe how different this game feels. The backstabs, the parries, the recover time after attacks, blocks and dodges. They seem to have really discouraged any kind of rapid technical play, and are going way more for a heavy, weighted almost bushido blade style.

Talk to an NPC in Majula to level up. She is usually near the bonfire, or near a tree at the edge of a cliff (visible from the bonfire).

Scher

You have to go to the Emerald Herald in Majula in order to level, similar to Demon's Souls and the Black Maiden. Keep in mind, though, that you have to exhaust all her dialogue before she will actually allow you to level up, so you have to just keep talking to her.

royal rat authority
is the stupidest boss so far. I think I've gotten one hit on him in 20+ attempts

Yes, this boss is awful! Even worse was that I died to poison the first time I beat it, meaning I had to do it over again after wasting all my consumables.

I've only found a few maybe. They are in chests sometimes I think so don't be destroying them.

Okay, great! Thanks so much for clearing that up. So using torches is a rare thing, I got it now. Nice to know my shit's not broken!

And for the record, I NEVER break chests.

Sakura

Yeah, that is kind of weird. They give you the "get 4 big souls" quest too, but I really have no idea if any of the things I've killed actually count as any of those souls. I've killed three bosses now and have no idea if those all counted or not.

You'll know when you've killed one.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

It goes back to feeling like DkS1 once you upgrade ADP enough

Prototype

Just get back in the coffin.

Doing it right now, thanks though. Man, I thought someone slipped me some acid or something. I had no idea this was a thing.

I was trying to lose weight for the Great Sword so I took all my armor off and then I noticed that my character had a bra on and that his face was awfully feminine. I didn't just stand lol it was like a slow motion bad dream.

Pretty funny that From put something like that into the game.

13 hours in and I still have no sense of purpose. Just walk in one direction until you hit a wall, then walk back in the other direction.

Exr

royal rat authority
is the stupidest boss so far. I think I've gotten one hit on him in 20+ attempts

You need to be able to take out the rats in 1-2 hits, otherwise the tradeoffs will be numerous and painful for damage. Use the whole room space too, you can run to the other side of the room and have enough time to use an Estus.

Saganator

What is with that coffin in the (area)
tutorial level
?

It changes your gender

So after killing the
Pursuer
, I decided to do more exploring of Forest of Fallen Giants, and wow am I glad I did that. Found like 2 areas I would've missed if I had just kept going. Loving exploring in this game, its so rewarding. I think I have found just about every nook in that area, but I know I'm missing one more area, but I can't figure out how to get to it at all. Its in the area where that tree ramp is, there are 2 caves. One cave has scaffolding above it and there is a dead body with an item on the scaffolding. How the hell do I get over there?

13 hours in and I still have no sense of purpose. Just walk in one direction until you hit a wall, then walk back in the other direction.

Dang, I was hoping further into the game things got a bit clearer. I'm still pretty much in the "first" areas. It's fun, though, exploring everything without knowing what exactly's coming. I just wish I had a sense of purpose beyond kill things and try not to die.

What is with that coffin in the (area)
tutorial level
?

It's the Magic Gender Swap Coffin (tm).

i was wondering where the petrified lady i helped mightve moved while leveling up when i panned around to see her standing up hill with the sun coming from her back. i love this game.

fell into some kinda shit water and broke everything

You need to be able to take out the rats in 1-2 hits, otherwise the tradeoffs will be numerous and painful for damage. Use the whole room space too, you can run to the other side of the room and have enough time to use an Estus.

the rats just go under my attacks because this game has terrible hitboxes

e: finally beat it once my attacks didn't magically miss the rats. FUCK that fight

Dammit. I saw a message on the ground saying invisible wall and I stood there hitting the walls with my sword wondering if people were just screwing with me.

yeah you open any that way that dont use a pharros stone. i have to stop myself from whacking walls for no reason.

Corpekata

Banned
Need a question answered re: Undead Purgatory

Red NPC Phantom was kicking my ass so retreated to bridge to heal and he managed to throw himself off it. He doesn't respawn, so guess I'm asking did I miss anything good or important loot wise? It's the first I've encountered, he was right outside the fog gate.

Is it mandatory to do the areas behind the Pharros Walls? I just used mine to open up
Belfry Luna
and I don't want to fight
the gargoyles
:C

cheezcake

Man I'm struggling to find a good dex weapon, I'm not a fan of the moveset of either the falchion or rapier. And I can't find a katana or scythe anywhere =(

yeah you open any that way that dont use a pharros stone. i have to stop myself from whacking walls for no reason.

IIRC, there's a Pharros Stone near the Ballista Room in Forest of the Giants. I saw a message saying illusionary wall, but is the Pharros lockstone necessary to open it? Or does simply pressing X work?

Is it mandatory to do the areas behind the Pharros Walls? I just used mine to open up
Belfry Luna
and I don't want to fight
the gargoyles
:C

i made myself proud and soloed that one. most patience ive ever had. i couldnt stand the encounter/summon rate was not in my favor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom