• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exr

Level 40 and still using a halberd and estoc +3, getting some sward envy from people with huge weapons. Any recommendations? Currently at Sinners keep

MilkBeard

Made some nice progress today. Decided to try Heide's Tower, which looks really nice, kind of like a mini Anor Londo but better, artistically. Two areas opened but I decided to fight the boss and go to No Man's Wharf. This place looks really cool. It seemed easy at first, but I ended up dying and losing a lot of souls. On the way back I made some mistakes and got
blown up by oil and fire
. Such a brutal way to go. Ha ha. I might decide to go back and try the other route just to see what it's like. I'll come back to this area in a bit.

The art design seems to get better and better as you go. Forest of Fallen Giants is decent looking but it doesn't hold a candle to these areas that I've gone to recently.

The Lamp

So for the first time in a Souls game, I'm getting my ass beaten into the ground and have no fucking clue what to do about it.

I'm nearly six hours in, still in the Forest of Fallen Giants, haven't faced a single boss, and I'm terrified of every single corner and hallway. I hate the new despawning system that makes me terrified of losing my souls, which makes me afraid to progress and I don't fucking know how to get around it.

Before, losing my souls sucked, but grinding them back was always an option. Now? If I lose the blodd stain, they're fucking gone.

Granted, I'm still early on in the game, so my opinion will likely change, but I really don't like this feature. This is easily the hardest game of the three, and I still can't seem to get used to the new combat dynamics. Facing two enemies is extremely difficult for me, and facing three or more is just straight get fucked mode for me.

I loved Demon's and Dark to no end, and bougth both on Day 1, but this game stresses me in a very very different way, and I don't think I like it. Maybe I suck? Probably?

I'm just venting, but, fuck, man... I can go fight the big armored dude that I do PISS fucking damage to, even if I initiate the trap that hurts him, which is hard enough as it is without getting hit by the trap myself. I can go in the room with the spear traps but fighting three-four of those skeleton guys at the same time is impossible for me, and I can't go through the trap gate because it already fell after the first time I went through it.

Someone tell me something that will give me some fucking hope.

All I can say is I totally relate. I dread hitting a wall where I'm poor of souls and can't afford anything to get better or progress.

Sakura

Every time I've tried to summon her she falls into the pit below and gets murdered. I've wasted 4 Human Effigies on this stupid ass fight.

What level are you? On my 3rd try I ate some of that grass that increases stamina regen, and put some magic ooze on my sword, and I wasted them.

All I can say is I totally relate. I dread hitting a wall where I'm poor of souls and can't afford anything to get better or progress.

Hopefully there's some kind of balance in the game, or method of farming souls we haven't uncovered. That or maybe From will just patch out their decision to limits spawns, or ultimately want us to replay the game over and over for farming.

Amir0x

Banned
PS3 or 360? 360 seems more than fine to me...

PS3 version. I didn't compare the games side by side, but it seems to at average perform worse than DS, and how they downgraded the visual engine from what they've been showing... I really think I have to wait for the PC version. There's a few gameplay quirks that are compounding the frustration, but honestly it's getting to the point where the performance and IQ is impacting my enjoyment. It's like how I felt with GTAV, after like five hours I had to return it. I just couldn't keep playing it.

I don't think some people understand how things like IQ and framerate and tearing actually effect how enjoyable a game is to actually play too. It's not just a visual thing :(

Ps3 or 360 version? I considered returning the 360 version at first because well, the IQ is pretty terrible especially the low res alphas. But after a couple more hours of playtime I seriously don't care anymore because the gameplay is awesome.

I know something awesome is waiting here, but it really is challenging my patience. Anyone who knows me could tell you how inexplicable this is. You cannot possibly anticipate a game harder than I have been anticipating Dark Souls 2.

Man, and PC version doesn't hit til April. I'll keep playing a little to see if things improve performance wise as I get further in the game, but if it keeps up, it's too nauseating to continue :(

So for the first time in a Souls game, I'm getting my ass beaten into the ground and have no fucking clue what to do about it.

I'm nearly six hours in, still in the Forest of Fallen Giants, haven't faced a single boss, and I'm terrified of every single corner and hallway. I hate the new despawning system that makes me terrified of losing my souls, which makes me afraid to progress and I don't fucking know how to get around it.

Before, losing my souls sucked, but grinding them back was always an option. Now? If I lose the blodd stain, they're fucking gone.

Granted, I'm still early on in the game, so my opinion will likely change, but I really don't like this feature. This is easily the hardest game of the three, and I still can't seem to get used to the new combat dynamics. Facing two enemies is extremely difficult for me, and facing three or more is just straight get fucked mode for me.

I loved Demon's and Dark to no end, and bougth both on Day 1, but this game stresses me in a very very different way, and I don't think I like it. Maybe I suck? Probably?

I'm just venting, but, fuck, man... I can go fight the big armored dude that I do PISS fucking damage to, even if I initiate the trap that hurts him, which is hard enough as it is without getting hit by the trap myself. I can go in the room with the spear traps but fighting three-four of those skeleton guys at the same time is impossible for me, and I can't go through the trap gate because it already fell after the first time I went through it.

Someone tell me something that will give me some fucking hope.

Here's a tip, find a shield and block everything until you feel that its okay to attack! Invest in the strength to use a greatshield and then the stamina to block a lot of blows, then block and punish. Most enemies can't touch you if you block and punish.

Zukuu

Banned
Hopefully there's some kind of balance in the game, or method of farming souls we haven't uncovered. That or maybe From will just patch out their decision to limits spawns, or ultimately want us to replay the game over and over for farming.
there is. it's called "co-op". No stone in Demon Souls? Suck it up and do a co-op run.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The
last giant
is kinda crappy. Doesn't hold a candle to the first dark souls boss.

Also, when can I buy more spells and where can I get the
cling ring?

My health is starting to bum me out.

enoki

Fighting bosses as a summon is a great way to farm souls, you just need to get your soapstone. ;)

So I'm going back into the game after taking a break for pretty much the whole day. Is it normal to be SL76 after just finishing Sinner's Rise? I'm starting to think that I might be over leveled.

MilkBeard

Farming isn't really necessary in this game. That guy who is having a hard time is still early in the game so he doesn't really know how it works. But that area of Forest of Fallen Giants is very hard, I was stuck there for some time. But the best thing is to tough it out, learn some tricks to waste them quickly and keep going.

Really, the enemy despawn thing was a boon for me because it made it so I didn't have to waste time fighting all those scrubs so that I could get closer to the boss. Once you beat your first boss and unlock the blacksmith you will see that it starts going more smoothly. That is definitely a tough spot though, and I think it will overpower a lot of new players.

Bosses give tons of souls, and enemies later on do as well and you will level like crazy so there is literally no need to go and grind enemies unless you are really stuck. But then if you are stuck and then those enemies despawn then that will make it easier to progress. That's how it worked for me. I think it's a good balance of design in itself because the combat system itself is much more unforgiving this time around.

Robot Pants

Encountered my first bug. Summonded a guy to help me with a boss. Beat boss. Get to next bonfire. Warp to Mejula. Level up. Warp to bonfire I was just at. Arrive hollow

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
You find them as items throughout the world. Each one adds 5 minutes to the timer. They don't show up in your inventory, you just get more time. There might be a vendor that sells them, I'm not sure. Did you grab the torch at the very beginning of the game, by the first bonfire? It's like behind a cart or something

not the Same poster obviously but I haven't seen one since and I,m down here in these dark arse caves.

oh and I wasn't expecting to see a familiar boss either lol.

So I'm going back into the game after taking a break for pretty much the whole day. Is it normal to be SL76 after just finishing Sinner's Rise? I'm starting to think that I might be over leveled.

idk what you are talking about yet and im 68 with 8 hours in ive only traveled back after lengthy adventures i dont look at souls to much in general or i limit myself so i get on a good roll and get back home with atleast 40k most times

Mupod

Fighting bosses as a summon is a great way to farm souls, you just need to get your soapstone. ;)

this. I get summoned instantly for everything, and you get tons of souls if you win.

sometimes I feel a bit icky since I basically kill bosses for people who do nothing the whole fight, but hey I need souls.

Sakura

not the Same poster obviously but I haven't seen one since and I,m down here in these dark arse caves.

They're not out in the open, sometimes you have to explore a bit to find them, look in chests etc. I don't remember where the ones I've found so far were, but right now I've got about 40 minutes.

Where can I get another Pharros' Lockstone? I already bought one from the merchant in Cardinal tower,and I used the free one I got from Majula.

Found another one of those faces after the boss in Lost Bastille. Can't decide to use it in No-man's Wharf or in Lost Bastille. What Items will I get?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
They're not out in the open, sometimes you have to explore a bit to find them, look in chests etc. I don't remember where the ones I've found so far were, but right now I've got about 40 minutes.

if they've been in wooded chest that would explain it. I keep breaking them for fear of a trap and getting rubbish.

isual

After The Ruin Sentinels, at the bonfire there is a ladder to a room below with a Pharros Contraption. It reveals the door to the Belfry. This is a PVP area though.

thanks. got 3 areas in limbo already with a bonfire at least;

harvest valley, shaded woods, and grave of saints

is the blue covenant there ?

Sakura

if they've been in wooded chest that would explain it. I keep breaking them for fear of a trap and getting rubbish.

Well that's no good. I've encountered two trapped chests so far and they aren't even a big deal. If poison spills out I just roll back, if it's arrows I just put my shield up right away.

Chavelo

Hmmm... I just restored my humanity, but for some reason I cannot find a summoning sign for
mild pete for the pursuer boss fight
... Any idea where it might be or why it won't show up? :/

JoeFenix

Just beat the
Ruin Sentinels on Hard Mode Champions Covenant

That was pretty intense! Every move from that boss wass a 1 hit kill with my gear/stats. Definitely loving the game at this point, the level design is phenomenal and the challenge level is very high on this difficulty.

Completely addicted, now I just need 45 more Awestones lol!

Ferrio

Banned
Where can I get another Pharros' Lockstone? I already bought one from the merchant in Cardinal tower,and I used the free one I got from Majula.

Found another one of those faces after the boss in Lost Bastille. Can't decide to use it in No-man's Wharf or in Lost Bastille. What Items will I get?

The one in no man's
Lights a big flame... no item. Just makes the place easier

Talking about Bastile how
far past the merchant do I find this flame he's mumbling about?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Wharf:
Unless there's some other benefit, this will simply light all the torches in the area, and force the claw monsters inside.

Bastille:
Unlocks the Belfry Gargoyle boss fight and Bell Covenant.

Dark Souls WTF moment #342 when I found a shortcut because I was swinging a fire sword at an enemy and somehow blew up a barrel, leaving me with a pixel of life haha

Ferrio

Banned
Wharf:
Unless there's some other benefit, this will simply light all the torches in the area, and force the claw monsters inside.

Bastille:
Unlocks the Belfry Gargoyle boss fight and Bell Covenant.

Ah crap used mine in wharf... hope I can find another.

Dark Souls WTF moment #342 when I found shortcut because I was swinging a fire sword at an enemy and somehow blew up a barrel, leaving me with a pixel of life haha
I found that shortcut after basically clearing that whole area. It would have been a time saver.
If were talking about the forest bonfire one

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Hmmm... I just restored my humanity, but for some reason I cannot find a summoning sign for
mild pete for the pursuer boss fight
... Any idea where it might be or why it won't show up? :/

It should be right in front of the door.

So we know that you can get
Seath's soul
from
the Duke's Dear Freja,
; does that mean that you can get
the other Lord Souls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom