• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Dammit I spent this fragment branch of yore on this sorcerer guy but I think I needed it to progress.

Am I in an unwinnable state? Or should I keep looking around?

The one in no man's
Lights a big flame... no item. Just makes the place easier

Talking about Bastile how
far past the merchant do I find this flame he's mumbling about?

Wharf:
Unless there's some other benefit, this will simply light all the torches in the area, and force the claw monsters inside.

Bastille:
Unlocks the Belfry Gargoyle boss fight and Bell Covenant.

Thanks. Guess I'll hold on to it for now. :]

LordCanti

Can anyone who is real late game answer a question for me real quick please?

I ran into a merchant with a whole bunch of arrows (fire, electric, etc) but I can't remember where he was. Anyone remember?

Today's list of vanquished bosses:

Old Dragonslayer
Dragonrider
Flexile Sentry
Ruin Sentinels

I feel productive. Of course none of those bosses holds a candle to a handful of those explodey guys in Lost Bastille.

Jharp

I just saw some stuff over at the gamefaqs forums about the Covenant of Champions making the game more difficult. Is this true? Is this why i've been getting my ass kicked?

Am I this fucking stupid?

I just saw some stuff over at the gamefaqs forums about the Covenant of Champions making the game more difficult. Is this true? Is this why i've been getting my ass kicked?

Am I this fucking stupid?

hehehehehe_duck.gif

K.Sabot

Guard break is fucking OP in this game.

Free critical strike, can't block it, gives critical strike even if you aren't blocking it.

Seriously, were FROM even thinking?

Gorillaz

Today's list of vanquished bosses:

Old Dragonslayer
Dragonrider
Flexile Sentry
Ruin Sentinels

I feel productive. Of course none of those bosses holds a candle to a handful of those explodey guys in Lost Bastille.

This is literally what I did today too haha. Stopped after dealing with "ed edd and eddy". Figured it was best to call it a night and come back after work tomorrow

Edit: actually they are chicks...so I guess instead they would be the kanker sisters?

Oh my gosh.......for people who have gone down the well
I dropped down the first few platforms in the gultch and went to attack an enemy and it seems I can't get back over the platform.......do I have to die?
No mantling like Demon Souls right?

LordCanti

I didn't know about the illusory walls being on a button instead of having to hit.... I'm not going to backtrack now that I'm almost done with NG.

Why From...Why? :/

Where to go after killing
the lost sinner
? Thanks.

Have you gone
down the well in Majula?

Man, I'm really getting into the game now. Last night was pretty heavy, I died a ton and was really getting my ass kicked. But today I participated in a lot of jolly cooperation and it helped me out a ton. Anybody who's frustrated in the first area, once you unlock summoning and get a few boss battles underneath your belt the world really opens up and it becomes more Souls frustrating and less "wow this game sucks" frustrating.

Early-ish location/boss spoilers:
Spent a lot of time tonight in Heide's fighting the big knights and helping people fight Dragonrider. Leveled myself up so now I'm dual-wielding a Falchion/Scimitar combination (which I haven't actually been able to use thought since the armored knights in Heide's I have to use my Fire Sword for instead).

Also there was a stupid smile on my face when I helped one guy, but instead of going toward Dragonrider he went the other way and I ended up helping him fight ORNSTEIN of all people. Ornstein was my favorite character/boss from Dark Souls, so goddamn if I'm not going to be taking a while and just helping people out with that boss fight, it's so much fun and pretty cool to see that nod. I'm wondering if that fits into the lore somehow. Also, his armor set was my favorite of Dark Souls - while my first build probably won't cut it since I'm a Swordsman, I hope his armor is located somewhere in this game too.

On another note, summoning's been really weird for me. I've sent my summoning sign next to a bonfire, and when I get summoned into the world the dudes are already most of the way to the boss and have cleared out all the enemies. It's happened multiple times, so I'm not sure how I'm being summoned by the player when they're clear across the map already. Is that a side effect of one of the covenants, maybe?

God I love this game. I'm going to be so tired at work tomorrow for staying up so late, but damn if it wasn't worth it.

Primeau31

Oh my gosh.......for people who have gone down the well
I dropped down the first few platforms in the gultch and went to attack an enemy and it seems I can't get back over the platform.......do I have to die?
No mantling like Demon Souls right?

Do you have a homeward bone?

According to the guide, enemies deal more damage and take less damage. But you'll occasionally get Awestone items for defeating enemies. Awestones are used to rank up in the Covenant and compare your badassery to other players in the covenant.

You also can't use soapstones to join other games/summon people to help you. Essentially it's a hardcore covenant for solo-ing the game, if you want.

aFIGurANT

What does that covenant actually change?

ENB said "increases strength" but what that means I don't know. I would assume they just hit harder and maybe have more HP and that's it. It seems like certain rings and the bonfire ascetic are there to augment things more specifically. Time will tell on a lot of this I'm guessing.

Personally I really can't wait for more info on the wikis because things are so piecemeal right now that it takes a lot of work to see which path I should be taking and which bosses are considered harder than others. I guess that's what you get when you sign up for the day 1 experience. Props to everyone who's nearing the endgame already...I feel like I still have a ways to go given how tough a lot of the bosses are. I'm not sure I expected From to be able to make a game this difficult for someone who's beaten the previous ones but they definitely did.

I had a productive spoiler-filled day today.

Got myself into the
Knights of the Sun Covenant
and decided to phantom-grind the
Skelly Lords
boss fight a few million times and suddenly I find myself with
Solaire's sword and Sunlight Spear.

Also, I love the look of it, but fighting my way through
Iron Keep
is such a pain in the ass. I feel like I missed a bonfire or something because I had to go from the first bonfire right outside the entrance to the
Old Iron King
. At least I got some rockin' armor from the enemies in there.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Guard break is fucking OP in this game.

Free critical strike, can't block it, gives critical strike even if you aren't blocking it.

Seriously, were FROM even thinking?

Shit is slow as fuck and very short range. It feels kind of like the upclose throw/hit game in fighting games, except the throw is like 800 frames. Feels pretty balanced to me right now.

Edit: I'm talking about the forward+r1 thing. Can't speak much about the just getting hit out of stamina or whatever thing just yet.

Level 27 Swordsman and I finally beat the Last Giant last night. I'm using a fire long sword, falchion +1, and the large leather shield (for going through new areas where I don't know what's around the corner).

A couple questions:

How's the Estoc? I'm not liking the long sword move set (stab only works when two handing), and I want to try something different. I see the Estoc for sale in Majula. I'm aiming for a DEX build.

What NPCs are in the Forest of the Giants? I met the merchant who already moved to Majula and Pate. I read some people found a "map guy" there too. Where is this one?

The area where the gate drops after entering (next to where you meet Pate for the first time); can you go back there? I hear there's an illusionary wall I missed.

Okay, so here's what happened: I downloaded DSII on launch day from PSN. Been marathoning it pretty hard yesterday and today. I'm 20 hours in as a Sorcerer, Soul Level 63, beat quite a few bosses, had a blast.

The one strange thing is that I've played pretty much all of the game ignoring the torch mechanic. At the start of the game when it was introduced I lit one or two torches after the first bonfire, and then just kinda forgot about it and ignored it until 20 hours later I came to a part in the game where you need to light a torch to get an NPC to trigger to do something.

At that point I found that I couldn't use the torch feature...when you go to a bonfire, you're supposed to be able to press triangle to toggle between 'Rest at Bonfire' or 'Light Torch', but I just don't get that option. When I went to the inventory screen, my torch's timer is at all zeros, even though it's supposed to be at five minutes, which is how long you get by default. You're supposed to be able to pick up torches during the game that increase the time your torch is lit. Odd, and odder still that in my 20 hours of play I didn't come across any of these torch upgrades...

I figured it was a rather unfortunate bug, and after much hemming and hawing I said 'fuck it' and re-rolled another character. Another sorcerer, pretty much the same thing. 20 hours down the drain, but screw it, I need to use the torches! Ran through the opening a second time, then grabbed the first torch you get in the tutorial. Boom. Ran out into the first real 'game' area, lit up a bunch of the pyres (I dunno what you call them) then when my torch's timer went down to zero I ran back to the bonfire to relight it.

Here's where it gets super weird- I get to the bonfire, and AGAIN the game gives me no option to toggle between 'light torch' and 'use bonfire'. Keep in mind this is a brand new save file, new character. WTF?!? How does that even make sense? I checked my inventory, and the torch's timer is at all zeroes. To quote John McLean, how does the same shit happen to the same guy twice? Super weird.

I run through to the next bonfire in the game, and sure enough, no toggle. My copy of Dark Souls II doesn't want me to use torches. VIsiting phantoms can light torches no problem, but I can't. Just weird.

Really, what can this be? If it's a bug, I have a feeling we'd have heard some reports of it by now. Maybe it's a sorcerer specific thing? I dunno. I''ll roll a new character class tomorrow, see what happens. If the same thing happens, what am I to think? That I have a defective copy of the game? A defective digital copy of the game? Does that even make sense?

I dunno guys, it's just weird. Any advice would be helpful, just to figure out what I'm dealing with here.

TL;DR

1. Torches don't work in my copy of game
2. Even rolled a new character, new save file
3. What the fuck?
4. What can/should I do?

Scher

The layout of the different areas with respect to each other is about as unintuitive as can be. I honestly cannot tell where I should actually be. I've just kind of meandered about fighting whatever boss I come across. Beaten
the giant, Pursuer, Dragonrider, Ornstein, the rat swarm, and the sentinels
. Also found myself in
Belfry Luna
, but it just feels like there's no rhyme or reason to where I'm going and what I'm fighting. Nothing feels like a cohesive progression order, and the game is kind of disappointing to me because of that.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Shit is slow as fuck and very short range. It feels kind of like the upclose throw/hit game in fighting games, except the throw is like 800 frames. Feels pretty balanced to me right now.

Edit: I'm talking about the forward+r1 thing. Can't speak much about the just getting hit out of stamina or whatever thing just yet.

The "bash" does not lead to a critical on opponents who aren't blocking as far as I know and being guard broken on the defensive can be remedied by A: get better at the dodge roll, B: take the hit, C: work on your spacing, because the weapons that break your guard usually have recovery on the slashes.

LeonSPBR

Is the framerate good on PS3 version of Dark Souls 2???

Just remembering Blightown still gives me nightmares for the wrong reasons...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom