• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exr

the rats just go under my attacks because this game has terrible hitboxes

e: finally beat it once my attacks didn't magically miss the rats. FUCK that fight

Yeah at that point you're at the mercy of lock on or you have to use a vertical slash type move. I used the two handed halberd, anything with a poking motion you'll probably have to use lock on.

IIRC, there's a Pharros Stone near the Ballista Room in Forest of the Giants. I saw a message saying illusionary wall, but is the Pharros lockstone necessary to open it? Or does simply pressing X work?

pharros neccesary for that one if im thinking of the right one. downstairs form the trap right

Fairly certain all of the Pharros stuff is optional.

I see. Well then, I must be missing something, because I'm not sure where to go next. Recently I went to the
Shaded Woods
but beyond the
talking head
and the loot lying around I wasn't able to find any deeper paths. Is there a pathway in the
misty area
that I'm missing? I also found those
shrines and the king's door
but I can't open either of them.

Exr

Any tips on how to join the invader covenant is appreciated. Also where can I find some hueg swords? Currently at the Gutter/

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Question about a certain shield.
Bound wooden shield causes bleeding apparently. Does bleed build up on people who attack it, or only if I use it as a weapon?

I see. Well then, I must be missing something, because I'm not sure where to go next. Recently I went to the
Shaded Woods
but beyond the
talking head
and the loot lying around I wasn't able to find any deeper paths. Is there a pathway in the
misty area

there's an area after the fog area with a boss. keep going.

Shaded Woods
but beyond the
talking head
misty area

just run straight through those misty woods stay on the left side of the path you walk out from and shoot straight across. theres more.

Astral

Holy shit these spiders are the most aggressive enemies I've ever encountered in a game. They don't fucking stop chasing you. I don't wanna see a spider ever again in my fucking life.

cheezcake

Holy shit I keep getting my ass kicked by the
Ruin sentinels
in The Lost Bastille, any tips?

The summon for that boss is really weak as well which doesn't help, and servers for Australia aren't up yet so I can't summon another player =(

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
So the PS3 version is alright?

How big is the PSN download?

*REALLY* interested in this after taking a cursory look throughout this thread. Seems like a fantastic RPG + Horror blend.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
I'm done for today GAF, managed to beat the
Mirror Knight
, here's my character: SL 120, 21 hours played so far

aS2WRAQ.png

ufo8mycat

Alright is subjective. People have different sensitivity levels to framerates before it impacts their enjoyment of the game.

Some people say the frame rate in Dark Souls 1 was not that great, especially in Blight town.

For me, the framerate was absolutely fine, except for that 1 minute into Blight Town where the frame rate dipped, but the rest of Blight Town was absolutely fine for me.

The 360 version does have a much better frame rate though

PS3 hovers between 25-30fps, while 360 is usually around 28-40fps.

Of course both have their dips

How big is the PSN download?

*REALLY* interested in this after taking a cursory look throughout this thread. Seems like a fantastic RPG + Horror blend.

I'm playing the DD PS3 version. I'm really enjoying it. I was pretty bummed out about the whole "Lighting debacle." Playing the game though, I think it looks great. Noticeably better than DS on the PS3. I'm still VERY early on in the game though. The download was 5.2gb and took me about 3-4 hours to download & install.

Jobbs

Banned
Finally beat the chariot (solo, no one to summon here anyway). Took me like eight tries. Became zen, stopped getting mad. Then there's
a dead end and a guy saying to go away. WTF is that guy?

- I'd also like to know where the longbow is, or any bow other than the shortbow
- I never know where to use my pharos stone. I've found multiple locations with many many sockets for these, rather than just one, like whole lines of them. I have no idea wtf that is.

So is it better than DS1 so far?
I need to knoooooooooooooooow. I'm waiting for my JP copy to arrive.

It's very good. In most measurable ways it's better; It may not have quite the same special x-factor as the first game. But the game is great, it's huge, and in many measurable ways (graphics, animation, sheer amount of content) it's what you'd expect from a sequel.

Grinchy

Banned
If Quadmonkey is a gaffer, that was a nice boss fight we just had ;)

My weapons both broke during it. The 2nd weapon died right on the last hit. But it was awesome survival for both of us.

Got about 5 bosses down on my swordsman...got stuck so I rerolled to Sorcerer (going Dex/Pyro like I did in Dark Souls) and I'm cruisin. Course I'm a lot more comfortable with the game at this point.

Hypron

So is it better than DS1 so far?
I need to knoooooooooooooooow. I'm waiting for my JP copy to arrive.

I played for like 5/6 hours today and it's a souls game all right. Harder than Dark Souls although that might be due to the fact that I started as a deprived. I like that killing weak enemies involve more skill than in DS. It's not possible to just circle strafe around them and backstab them one after the other.

Goddamn, earlier tonight I beat the Gargoyles. I had a summon with me.

I almost shit my pants when
I saw that the gargoyles kept coming!!
Are you shitting me?
5 of them?! DAAAAAMN
Also didn,t help that my summoned help got his ass kicked just before the
2nd or 3rd one got killed

My heart was racing when it was over. Oh and just after that there's a
NPC Black phantom down some ladder that has like 10 damn dogs with him, plus the damn phantom keeps breaking your guard if you turtle behind your shield!

Beepos

So I know stats don't mean much but I take it one hand and shield combo fighters want to start as the warrior, while two handed weapon users should go knight?

Also does the duel wielding require scaling more in dex, strength, either of them or a needed combo of both?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
5.1 GB
Peculiarly small for such big game yes? Even DD Dark Arisen is 12 GB in size.

You're getting this? Or have you?

Alright is subjective. People have different sensitivity levels to framerates before it impacts their enjoyment of the game.

Some people say the frame rate in Dark Souls 1 was not that great, especially in Blight town.

For me, the framerate was absolutely fine, except for that 1 minute into Blight Town where the frame rate dipped, but the rest of Blight Town was absolutely fine for me.

The 360 version does have a much better frame rate though

PS3 hovers between 25-30fps, while 360 is usually around 28-40fps.

Of course both have their dips

Hmm, I don't have access to Xbox360 right now, so only PS3.

I've never been the one to act crazy upon frame rate dips though, unless it is absolutely downright awful like PS3's Skyrim. Nothing that egregious here, right?

I am perfectly fine with games like Dark Arisen PS3 or DmC, for example.

I'm playing the DD PS3 version. I'm really enjoying it. I was pretty bummed out about the whole "Lighting debacle." Playing the game though, I think it looks great. Noticeably better than DS on the PS3. I'm still VERY early on in the game though. The download was 5.2gb and took me about 3-4 hours to download & install.

REALLY interested in this. I *hope* that in terms of story/settings, no knowledge of Dark Souls/Demon's Souls is required to enjoy this.

Gotta make sure the spend 60 get 10 bonus active first before plunging in.

I've never been the one to act crazy upon frame rate dips though, unless it is absolutely downright awful like PS3's Skyrim. Nothing that egregious here, right?

I am perfectly fine with games like Dark Arisen PS3 or DmC, for example.
I'm playing on PS3 and to be honest, haven't noticed framerate issues at all. I'm also someone that doesn't freak out about some slowdown here and there, but so far it's been smooth for me.

Even with some lag it won't even come close to Skyrim levels.

Mutombo

so at what level adaptability does your character start feeling fluid. I chose the bandit, and now have 5 APT, but I'm not sure exactly what it does. It ups movement speed, but does that include rolling and attacking? I'm thinking of upping it to 10 and then stopping if it feels fine.

Zukuu

Banned
What are the rewards?

Initial Reward: Champion's Tablet.
Rank 1 (Offer 10 Victor's Stones): Great Magic Weapon.
Rank 2 (Offer 25 Victor's Stones): First Dragon Ring. (mini RoFaP - there is also a 2nd and 3rd which are upgraded versions)
Rank 3 (Offer 50 Victor's Stones): Vanquisher's Seal.

Dresden

Staying inside the belfrey tower as a bell guardian is a pretty nice experience. You're either invading or being invaded by your own covenant. Just pure nonstop pvp.

e: wow, ranking up got me
another titanite slab.

Zukuu

Banned
so at what level adaptability does your character start feeling fluid. I chose the bandit, and now have 5 APT, but I'm not sure exactly what it does. It ups movement speed, but does that include rolling and attacking? I'm thinking of upping it to 10 and then stopping if it feels fine.
38 is the cap for agility, which affects item and estus speed, shield raising speed and the quickness of the roll + invincibility frames. The RANGE of the roll is determined by equip burden.

Kyuur

Dang, I was hoping further into the game things got a bit clearer. I'm still pretty much in the "first" areas. It's fun, though, exploring everything without knowing what exactly's coming. I just wish I had a sense of purpose beyond kill things and try not to die.

It's the Magic Gender Swap Coffin (tm).

From what I've gathered talking to NPCs, you're trying to find the four great souls to reverse the curse somehow.

Hobobloke

Finally got my hands on a copy of the game and a day earlier than expected, I'm giddy.

Is the bonfire ascetic gift a consumable or does it have unlimited uses?

Man I'm struggling to find a good dex weapon, I'm not a fan of the moveset of either the falchion or rapier. And I can't find a katana or scythe anywhere =(

Getting to a katana takes an annoyingly long time in this game. You can start to get them at (Area Spoiler)
The Iron Keep, where the Alonne Knights drop them.

Speaking of, got a Blacksteel Katana (this game's Iaito equivalent) earlier today. Finally, I am reunited with my old friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom