• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitten

EU version get !

Immersed myself for a few hours and beaten the boss of the 'first' (?) area, Fallen Forest. Nothing too hard, reminded me a bit of Boletaria castle. Died a couple of times to some hidden ambushing mobs but after some leveling up and picking up the fire longsword I started dominating the area.
Started as a sorcerer but playing a spellsword hybrid sort of type with solid range damage from soul arrows and a decent sword for melee backup.

Game feels like classic Souls though I had the turn the camera sensitivity all the way down, otherwise it felt much too fast compared to the others.
And unfortunately, it does seem to be beaten by the ugly stick.. Those tutorial caves for instance were just horrible areas lacking any kind of charm or visual appeal. Objects and ennemies seem to be lower poly than before. Hopefully things will pick up in later areas.

Also, holy crap at the amount of summoning signs ! Entire rooms are littered with them..

Ken

Still early. Enjoying it. Two things I really loathe though:

1) Weapon durability. Drops ridiculously quickly and adds a layer of back-and-forth tedium that I don't think makes the game harder so much as more laborious. I get that they probably want equipment management to play a larger role, but I'm not feeling it.

Hm, unless I'm hitting walls a lot, durability hasn't been a huge issue for me between bonfires.

Okay, so there's an icon under my life bar I don't quite understand. It looks like a white circle with a red line through it. Anyone have any ideas? I was cursed by
the pursuer
before, but I'm pretty sure I got rid of that.

If it's like what happened to me when I got cursed, one of your items might be broken, like a piece of armor or a ring.

1) Weapon durability. Drops ridiculously quickly and adds a layer of back-and-forth tedium that I don't think makes the game harder so much as more laborious. I get that they probably want equipment management to play a larger role, but I'm not feeling it.
There's a ring that fixes this and it's not too far into the game. Shortly after the Sentinels I believe.

I finally head to a new area,
And then an enemy just spawns out of nowhere and kills me. Like, honestly I think it was a glitch because I walked over the section of dock four or five times back and forth and there was nothing, then suddenly bam enemy that took me by surprise and killed me. At least I have somewhat of a shortcut, and tomorrow is going to be dedicated to getting on that ship and seeing what's what.
There are 3 orcs hanging off the side of the pier that activate when you walk past them. Kind of like the guys very early in the undead burg

Grinchy

Banned
2) Playing Dark Souls on PC makes you really appreciate the snappy load times higher end hardware can bring. Impatient as it sounds, having to wait 20 - 30 seconds between deaths as it loads in the last bonfire area gets old very quickly.

This is my biggest gripe so far. It's great that I can be summoned within 1 second of putting my sign down, but then there's a 30 second load screen. Then the host dies in 2 seconds because he sucks and I face another 30 second load screen. Then I put my sign down and face a 30 second load screen....rinse, repeat.

I think I ran into a possible gamebreaking endgame bug. I may be doing something wrong, but it doesn't seem like it.

I died as the doors to Drangleic were opening. After that the doors remain permanently closed for me. The Emerald Healer reset her dialogue to telling me to search for boss souls to fight the King. I'm not sure what to do now and this kind of sucks.

I tried reloading my save, but no dice so far.

I think I ran into a possible gamebreaking endgame bug. I may be doing something wrong, but it doesn't seem like it.

I died as the doors to Drangleic were opening. After that the doors remain permanently closed for me. The Emerald Healer reset her dialogue to telling me to search for boss souls to fight the King. I'm not sure what to do now and this kind of sucks.

Maybe you can burn an NG+ thing at the last boss you fought and reset it? Sounds bad.

joe2187

Banned
Interesting.

Just got a server maintainence warning for the 360 version, while mid boss fight. It was like a little CNN info ticker scrolling across the top of the screen

I saw someone on another forum mention this as well. Maybe it really is a bug.

PBY

Banned
Never played a souls game- 2 questions-

1- should I just play demons souls first? Can prob get it cheap
2- how workable is this game over remote play to my vita?

Thx.

BigDug13

This is my biggest gripe so far. It's great that I can be summoned within 1 second of putting my sign down, but then there's a 30 second load screen. Then the host dies in 2 seconds because he sucks and I face another 30 second load screen. Then I put my sign down and face a 30 second load screen....rinse, repeat.

Agreed. Though DS1 with GFWL has its own problems with summons. I attempt to summon, fail. Attempt to summon someone else, fail. Attempt to summon another 5 people, fail. End up soloing Ornstein and Smough because I have no choice. It took more tries than any other boss up to that point, including the Capra Demon.

BigDug13

Thx.

Is it even remote play capable? I don't think it is as the PS3 remote play compatible list is extremely short. You could start with Demon's Souls or just jump right into Dark Souls 1.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Grabbed the PS3 version and put in a few hours. I'm really digging this game. Was a huge fan of the previous games, so it makes sense, I suppose. I love the feeling of not knowing where to go and what everything is.

I will say that I kind of regret the purchase, though. The frame rate is really bad. I'm not sure how much more I'm going to play of it before the PC release, but so far it seems like a really cool game.

Gorillaz

so....how did you guys deal with the whole random poison thing in the one area after
the rat king

It's like people are randomly throwing it at me and I don't even know what to do

Thx.

1.Either that or Dark.
2. ehhhh I dont know if vita can work via remote play......it would be one way to get a souls game on handheld tho lmao

Just beat
the Pursuer
in full melee immediately after beating
the Last Giant
without using the
ballista
and without even having a decent physical damage reduction shield.

Feels good, gaf.

BigDug13

Grabbed the PS3 version and put in a few hours. I'm really digging this game. Was a huge fan of the previous games, so it makes sense, I suppose. I love the feeling of not knowing where to go and what everything is.

I will say that I kind of regret the purchase, though. The frame rate is really bad. I'm not sure how much more I'm going to play of it before the PC release, but so far it seems like a really cool game.

I feel like this game pushes you in a specific direction more than the first one. In the first one, you could end up in 2-3 "way too hard for you yet" areas just by leaving Firelink Shrine in the wrong direction. Where in DS2 I can't seem to find any other place to go except the only open path out of town that leads to the area you're supposed to start in. Not sure how it is later as far as keeping everything locked away until you're "supposed" to be there, but it starts out that way at least.

Ken

is there a bonfire before
big spider boss?

so....how did you guys deal with the whole random poison thing in the one area after
the rat king

It's like people are randomly throwing it at me and I don't even know what to do

smash the totem thingies. they shoot you if you're in front of their "face"

I feel like this game pushes you in a specific direction more than the first one. In the first one, you could end up in 2-3 "way too hard for you yet" areas just by leaving Firelink Shrine in the wrong direction. Where in DS2 I can't seem to find any other place to go except the only open path out of town that leads to the area you're supposed to start in. Not sure how it is later as far as keeping everything locked away until you're "supposed" to be there, but it starts out that way at least.

Eh? Starting out, you immediately have two places you can go from Majula. Three if you grind the souls to buy the fall damage ring but that's a bit much so I won't count it. Still, you can go to
Forest of the Fallen Giants
and
Heide's Tower of Flame
immediately, so I dunno what you mean.

Sakura

2) Playing Dark Souls on PC makes you really appreciate the snappy load times higher end hardware can bring. Impatient as it sounds, having to wait 20 - 30 seconds between deaths as it loads in the last bonfire area gets old very quickly.

Are you using a weapon with low durability? It shouldn't really be a problem. I just rest at new bonfires I come across to restore. You can always bring repair powder if you want.

Agree about load times though, it's pretty slow.

Ferrio

Banned
My freaking falcions break so easily some reason they hit the freaking ground when swinging in dual wield mode.

I wanna find two whips... wanna try to see if you can dual wield them....

BigDug13

Eh? Starting out, you immediately have two places you can go from Majula. Three if you grind the souls to buy the fall damage ring but that's a bit much so I won't count it. Still, you can go to
Forest of the Fallen Giants
and
Heide's Tower of Flame
immediately, so I dunno what you mean.

Maybe they weren't as easy to stumble Into? The graveyard could be gotten through at level 1 then you're in the catacombs. You could also reach New Londo. You could also reach valley of Drakes and Blight town. Pretty much right away. Even if you died to the starting dudes in each area, it was possible to stumble into the wrong area. I didn't get that sense from DS2 so far. I couldn't get past the statue guy at the door switch, maybe I'm missing something. I didn't have enough to save for a ring. Pretty much one place to go in this one.

Wtf were they think when they came up with the new "backstabs"??
Why would they change that?
This just feels off and looks stupid.
I want to say that I think From actually fixed the backstabs. They needed to be changed because in Dark Souls most humanoid enemies could be easily dunked on by swiveling around insta-bsing them. Plus the fact that you're completely invincible during the animation, that shit had to stop. Anecdotal evidence: I've been in PVP situations where people only backstabbed eachother repeatedly.

Now the backstab animations are harder to do, they aren't instantaneous, you can damaged during the animation, this makes them balanced. Now when I backstab an enemy, it feels like a fucking awesome counter instead of a cheap option.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God damn I love this game, been playing non stop. Just maxed the
Gnawing
Covenant. Glad I did the reward is making the next area way easier.

BigDug13

Is there a lot of summoning that happens in this game? My problem so far is the very finite ability to become human which seems to still be the only way to summon people. If you keep popping your human effigies to get rid of your health penalty, are you out of luck then to get help from others when you run out? I remember you earned humanity randomly while fighting in areas where the boss wasn't beaten in DS1, but all that appears to be gone, so it seems like summoning other players has become way more limited because you simply can't become human as often.

Is that the case or am I missing something?

K.Sabot

How the hell do you pvp in this game without the usage of consumables?

The Dragon duels covenant seems to be the only way. Bellbro and Rat areas are terrible places to duel.

Is there a lot of summoning that happens in this game? My problem so far is the very finite ability to become human which seems to still be the only way to summon people. If you keep popping your human effigies to get rid of your health penalty, are you out of luck then to get help from others when you run out? I remember you earned humanity randomly while fighting in areas where the boss wasn't beaten in DS1, but all that appears to be gone, so it seems like summoning other players has become way more limited because you simply can't become human as often.

You can revert back to human form by being summoned by other players using the soapstone, and fulfilling your duties. You don't need to use the effegies.

Ferrio

Banned

You gain humanity when you get summoned if you complete your duty. There for the back and forth summoning will always allow you to become human.

Styles

THIS GAME

giphy.gif

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
How the hell do you pvp in this game without the usage of consumables?

The Dragon duels covenant seems to be the only way.

Belltower covenant and Rat King Covenant are variations of the old forest one from DS1. Bell Tower summons you anywhere in the world to it. Ratking you force people into your game when you are in his zone *the covenant symbol will glow letting you know it's an active area.

Zeliard

For whatever reason I'm unable to drop my white soapstone anymore. I can leave messages, and I see plenty of other messages and bloodstains, so I assume it's not some network thing. But my white soapstone is grayed out wherever I go. Anyone else run into this?

So, I just now realized this is because I
joined that Champion convenant.

Yep.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
God, I'm kinda conflicted now.

At the lost bastille, and I think that I've pretty much cleared out everything before the
ruin sentinels
, but I have 18K souls, and I've never fought them before. Also I really don't want to clear out those enemies again.

To go on or not to go on?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
My guy is wearing elite knight armor set and it seems his roll is slow. What do I upgrade to change this?

70% or lower for mid speed roll

50% or lower for fast and far roll I believe

God, I'm kinda conflicted now.

At the lost bastille, and I think that I've pretty much cleared out everything before the
ruin sentinels
, but I have 18K souls, and I've never fought them before. Also I really don't want to clear out those enemies again.

To go on or not to go on?

Sprint through the door that leads to the room where you get ambushed by 3 guys from the side and 2 guys from the front of the door. Run down the stairs, sprint up the ladder and turn right down the hall. Boss run with no fighting :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom