• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II |OT| The Dark Souls of Dark Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eventide

Banned
How do you summon the
man scorpion
for the
female scorpion
boss? That tripped me out when I was co op'ing with someone and I saw it helping in the boss fight.

ElFly

3 things that stick out at me:

a. lack of a direction - it's way too aimless in the beginning. There's no effort to guide the player at all; you have no clearly discernible objective (ring the bells! gather the lord souls!), and in its absence you just explore and fight through the world for the sake of it. There is something later on, but even that feels tenuous at best.

b. lackluster enemy designs - this extends to the bosses, too. Too many enemies look the same; there's reused creatures from DkS1; almost all the bosses are visually and mechanically boring.

c. MLGS still scales with Int - c'mon FROM, you could have gone full Demon's with this. (

The NPCs don't have as much personality as in the previous games, at least until the point I am right now. The covenant vendors are just there and will talk you about their purpose and that's it. Emerald will say a little about the king, but she is no Maiden in Black. Dark had some memorable dialogue after beating the Taurus, cause Solaire would be there just babbling non sense, but here, there's nothing.

Hoping it gets better later on.

e: also, I am not sure if the NPCs have stories themselves, like Petra the Priest waiting for that lady and her bodyguards, or the magician teacher asking you to look for Logan.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Woo, got to rank 2 for
brotherhood of blood
covenant. Actually took 200 kills and not 150 like the guides are saying. Rank 3 might be 700 at this rate.

Facism

Went sorcerer with a mace. Lol.

Graphics and fps are hot trash. You can tell the lighting got gutted.

3 hours in and I haven't beaten the first boss. As soon as I got the soapstone I just cooped like a champ. Superior to ds in that getting summoned is immediate. Souls series tradition of terrible host continues lol. However we did take diwn pursuer when he drops in near the firebomb shortcut

Exr

If that was the same Oracrest from GAF just now in my game thanks a lot, would have never found the gear otherwise.

Eventide

Banned
If anyone sees the man scorpion, it's a friendly regardless of its looks. I nerfed my playthrough by attacking him.

Anyone know what he gives you?

ironcreed

Banned
Anyone else spend like 5 hours retreading half the game for a random locked door trying to find the next area when all you had to do was not use the fast travel and walk into a building you went through at the start of the game...

Well... At least I found it on my own and gained a ton of souls and items while trying to find it. Lol

Yep, doing lots of runs back to areas and am finding new stuff I missed. Only the odd enemy here and there has stopped spawning as well. Most are still there, ripe for the picking.

MilkBeard

So, I'm like 6 or so hours in, and I've gotten past the first couple areas. I have the option of heading up to the cathedral, or down into the darkness from the first castley looking area. Does anyone feel like this game, while still good, just isn't as good as the first? Like, I don't know how to put it into words but it's just not as satisfying, and the environments aren't as engaging yet. I still LIKE it, but yeah.

Not my personally. I feel like it's as good as Dark Souls 1, but for different reasons. That's my opinion at about 20 hours or so, we'll see how it goes for the rest of the game. The game was pretty difficult at the Forest of Fallen Giants, but has gotten a bit easier now that I've beaten a few bosses and upgraded some things. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the game develops. Seems like it is pretty easy to exploit souls and level up fast. I hope From nerfs the souls you get a little bit because levels do seem to come by really fast, especially from co-oping. You can make the game harder though, if you end up doing that, heh.

MilkBeard

Yep, doing lots of runs back to areas and am finding new stuff I missed. Only the odd enemy here and there has stopped spawning as well. Most are still there, ripe for the picking.

Yep same here. I found the
Pursuer
that way because I missed a locked door earlier on.

Going to Gamestop tomorrow morning to get my copy, WOOOO!!!

Thought a lot of people have been playing the game for a while now so it feels like I'm super late lol

Mupod

I have the guide, doesnt really say there's a requirement. Then again, I noticed alot of errors in the guide.

I'd tell you to try equipping the +int ring but then I remembered who sells it. I don't know if it's findable anywhere either.

Actually I'm having a similar issue with another NPC, I should buy that ring and try it.

Is there a bonfire
before the ship in No-Mans Warf, but after the one at the very beginning
. Going from the beginning to the boss is really annoying. Is there some kind of shortcut?

Eventide

Banned
Is there a bonfire
. Going from the beginning to the boss is really annoying. Is there some kind of shortcut?

Using the Pharos Stone makes the level much easier but there's only one bonfire.

Aeana

Is there a bonfire
There is one shortcut, a door you can open that lets you go near where the first dog is and get to the end pretty quickly. If you run up to the top, drop down from the roof and go through that door, you can get near the boss's area without anything following you.

sikkinixx

Traded some games and had South Park in one hand, this in the other.

So... Not having read about down grades or really watching or reading anything since last year some time. Holy shit is this game completely disappointing presentation wise. I knew the UI stuff wasn't my taste (think it looks tacky and is too cluttered and small) but I wasn't expecting it to look worse than dark souls one and frankly look low budget. The tressfx-lite on my clerics cloak is distracting, the 'argh' when I die is cring worth, the low ass textures, the massive frame hit before I even take control of the character, it's really disappointing.

Dark souls wasn't the most beautiful game but It everything felt and looked solid, so far dark souls II (lovely seascapes aside) looks like a game that hasn't had the final coat put on. 9 year old consoles I know but damn.

Hope the gameplay redeems the very poor first impression.

TWILT

Banned
The
Ruin Sentinels
in Lost Bastille were such a pain lol. Had to
summon that mage for help
, and I just barely won, but feel satisfied either way.

Jarate

Banned
Traded some games and had South Park in one hand, this in the other.

So... Not having read about down grades or really watching or reading anything since last year some time. Holy shit is this game completely disappointing presentation wise. I knew the UI stuff wasn't my taste (think it looks tacky and is too cluttered and small) but I wasn't expecting it to look worse than dark souls one and frankly look low budget. The tressfx-lite on my clerics cloak is distracting, the 'argh' when I die is cring worth, the low ass textures, the massive frame hit before I even take control of the character, it's really disappointing.

Dark souls wasn't the most beautiful game but It everything felt and looked solid, so far dark souls II (lovely seascapes aside) looks like a game that hasn't had the final coat put on. 9 year old consoles I know but damn.

Hope the gameplay redeems the very poor first impression.

go back and get caried by the bird again in dark souls 1 and look at those 2d mountains

Dark Souls 1 was graphically not that good.

Has anyone else noticed that some items seem to respawn around Majula? I've gotten two
estus shards from the well near the hole
. And in the mansion
I got a second soul vessel from the same chest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom